Coventry transfer deadline day (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

We're into the last 48hrs of the transfer window.

Two attacking players in on loan so far.

Robins struggling to get that number 9 forward and a couple of knock backs.

Baker still a possible (but can be signed outside the window as a free agent).

Stevenson rumours with a few champ clubs and Wigan possibly interested.

torchomatic

A centre forward to help out Biamou and McNulty, not that they need it at the mo, but if one of them gets injured then we are in trouble. Ponticelli seems to struggle in men's footy so I don't think he is the answer just yet.

AFCCOVENTRY

It's gone pretty quiet on the Baker front, is he struggling with fitness?

I think Baker said he won't be fit till Feb. It's possible he could play for a low wage for a couple of months towards the end of the season for us to prove his fitness and possibly earn a 1 year deal.

SkyBlueCRJ

It sounds too much like the Joe Cole situation where we start pissing about just to fit them in.

His Achilles injury seemed to be quite nasty. Injuries such as these always seem to have set backs when on the road to rehabilitation so it's probably more than likely he's hit a few stumbling blocks along the way to regaining full fitness.

Nick

Administrator
His Achilles injury seemed to be quite nasty. Injuries such as these always seem to have set backs when on the road to rehabilitation so it's probably more than likely he's hit a few stumbling blocks along the way to regaining full fitness.

That's what I mean, do we really want to start trying to fit him in so he can build up fitness like we did with Cole?

AFCCOVENTRY

Ultimately sorting out some support for our current strikers is the priority. We have plenty of midfield options now with the loan kids in and Kelly returning.

SkyBlueCRJ

If Baker signs on and we can recruit another striker, our squad should look like the polished article for the latter end of the season. Whether both of these happen is another question though.

SkyBlueCRJ

That's what I mean, do we really want to start trying to fit him in so he can build up fitness like we did with Cole?

I like Baker, he'll bring a wealth of experience and could be useful in a coaching capacity. But like you said, we don't have the budget to carry anyone this season so if he doesn't look like he can contribute both on and off the pitch then I'm afraid he'll have to look elsewhere.

AFCCOVENTRY

I like Baker, he'll bring a wealth of experience and could be useful in a coaching capacity. But like you said, we don't have the budget to carry anyone this season so if he doesn't look like he can contribute both on and off the pitch then I'm afraid he'll have to look elsewhere.

Indeed. Problem is we have Andreu and Jones on our wage bill and are out for the season. Tight budget as we now at the club.

SkyBlueCRJ

Indeed. Problem is we have Andreu and Jones on our wage bill and are out for the season.

That's the issue, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. We need another attacking midfielder as Vincenti isn't 100% fit, neither are the two loanees and Shipley could do with a rest - so as it stands we're still slightly thin on the ground. But there's no sense in bringing in another player if he's going to sit on the physio table whilst earning a wage.

Londonccfcfan

That's the issue, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. We need another attacking midfielder as Vincenti isn't 100% fit, neither are the two loanees and Shipley could do with a rest - so as it stands we're still slightly thin on the ground. But there's no sense in bringing in another player if he's going to sit on the physio table whilst earning a wage.
Our squad is too big.

In a couple of weeks time.

Haynes, Hyam, Beavon, Devon k Evans, Possibly one of Vincenti/JMD//Barrat/Stevenson wont even make it on the subs bench.

Thats not even including K Thomas or Reid whom hope extend loans again.

rob9872

I'm the opposite. A new face to freshen things up wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'd rather keep the momentum we've built and just move on one or two like Beavon that are not featuring and can't be good to have too many of those around. I actually think that our team are benefitting for togetherness and not too many changes to the side. If we can not be any further unlucky with injuries than we already have been, then I fancy our chances of the automatics with what we currently have.

SkyBlueCRJ

Our squad is too big.

In a couple of weeks time.

Haynes, Hyam, Beavon, Devon k Evans, Possibly one of Vincenti/JMD//Barrat/Stevenson wont even make it on the subs bench.

Thats not even including K Thomas or Reid whom hope extend loans again.

Half of that list aren't good enough to even get into our side - they wouldn't make the bench regardless.

Mucca Mad Boys

If there’s an opportunity to sign a striker, we need to go for it. At this point, probably likely to be a Prem loanee than an accomplished player. However, I don’t think we should sign one for the sake of it. We still have Ponticelli, Biamou looks revitalised and McNulty is in good form.

If we are to mix it up with the best in the league, we need goals from elsewhere, midfield and defence.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Difference was we had actually signed Cole and then were pissing about trying to get him fit. Baker we are helping towards gaining full fitness without him being in our squad plans at all at the moment.

If he gets fit and can play a part in the last 10ish games or so as a sub and pass some experience on, then great. If not no worries and hopefully he'll get a contract elsewhere for next season. He's probably quite a handy card to have in the back pocket should we get any more injuries in the next couple of months.

Nick

Administrator
Difference was we had actually signed Cole and then were pissing about trying to get him fit. Baker we are helping towards gaining full fitness without him being in our squad plans at all at the moment.

If he gets fit and can play a part in the last 10ish games or so as a sub and pass some experience on, then great. If not no worries and hopefully he'll get a contract elsewhere for next season. He's probably quite a handy card to have in the back pocket should we get any more injuries in the next couple of months.

He would still need to be match fit though. When was the last time he played a game?

Otis

With the best defence in the league we will.

Just need a few more contributions from midfield and defence and we will fine. Its not all about goals from strikers.
Yup.

If you hardly ever let many goals in you are always in with a chance.

I agree we need another striker, but Barrett has a good goalscoring record and of course if we do get Baker fit and do get him signed up he is more than capable of chipping in with a number of goals.

Greggs

WTF??? Baker had one good game in 10.....nearly 10 years ago!?

Otis

WTF??? Baker had one good game in 10.....nearly 10 years ago!?
Yep, a punt for sure, but this is now League Two, so a lower level.

I agree with you, I used to quite like him as a player, but he rarely turned it on.

It's definitely a punt, but if the wages aren't high and he can prove his fitness I think it's a punt worth taking.

Greggs

Yep, a punt for sure, but this is now League Two, so a lower level.

I agree with you, I used to quite like him as a player, but he rarely turned it on.

It's definitely a punt, but if the wages aren't high and he can prove his fitness I think it's a punt worth taking.
And his attitude towards the younger lads definitely has to be questioned. I always remember him blamed others and waving his bandy arms about|!

Otis

And his attitude towards the younger lads definitely has to be questioned. I always remember him blamed others and waving his bandy arms about|!
I was one of his biggest critics.

Just think it may be worth the punt and he does seem desperate to play for us.

Greggs

Given a chance, i'd imagine quite a few are desperate to play for us. I'm sure Shipley, Bayliss, Vincenti, DKE, DKE, Barrett and the lad from Brighton are. But i get your point.

Nick

Administrator

I still don't think we should be signing players based on them wanting to play for us, he chose to go to India over the summer (granted it was loads of money so can't blame him) but if he hadn't got injured would he be as desperate to play for us? We can't be a backup option for people who haven't had another offer or want to move closer to home.

We need people who will put their bodies on the line for the shirt, not because it's easier for the player when they can be arsed.

Londonccfcfan

We dont need a 35 year old who hasnt kicked a ball in 3/4 months. No thanks. Id be gutted if we signed him.

Thank you very much for the past.

Much rather get a younger hungrier striker in.

stupot07

With Baker being a free agent, and being a free agent before the window opened we don't need to sign him by tomorrow anyway, and for me he'd have to play at least 2 under 23's games to prove his fitness before I'd consider signing him. He is affective in this league, but hasn't played since last season and we've been there before with 34+ club and it didn't work then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

With Baker being a free agent, and being a free agent before the window opened we don't need to sign him by tomorrow anyway, and for me he'd have to play at least 2 under 23's games to prove his fitness before I'd consider signing him. He is affective in this league, but hasn't played since last season and we've been there before with 34+ club and it didn't work then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In that scenario, and on a 6mth contract, I think it’d be a win-win for us.

A midfielder who hit in and around 10 goals last season, and we’re lacking goals in midfield and defence. He also offers the option of playing behind the striker, making MR’s favoured 4-2-3-1 a viable option once again. With Barrett’s favoured position out wide on the left, Baker is about as much of like-for-like replacement for Andreu as we’re going to get.

The comparison between signing him and the likes of Hunt, Henderson and so on, is that; Baker is proven at L2 level, 100% wants to play for us. Most importantly, it looks like we’re actually taking the time to see if he’s fit enough to play for us.

Users who are viewing this thread