Match Thread Coventry City vs Scunthorpe United Match Thread - Saturday 4th Aug (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Disappointing loss but there were positives. Andreu looked good as did Ogogo.

Max needs someone closer too him otherwise what he does is wasted.

Sterling and Mason both looked good at times but also looked liabilities at times. Hopefully just nerves and they'll grow into their roles. Getting over the injuries and suspensions in the back four and having a settled first choice four should help that.

A game we could of, and should have, won. They were clearly happy to settle for a point from the off with the time wasting or 'game management' as it is called these days. Bet they can't believe their luck to come away with all 3, proper smash and grab job.

PA at the Ricoh hasn't been fixed, in fact doesn't appear to have been any maintenance done in the close season.

shmmeee

First game tells us nothing. Missed it all as on a beach with shitty signal but from what I can gather standard lack of match practice was more the issue than blatant lack of quality.

Otis

Disappointing loss but there were positives. Andreu looked good as did Ogogo.

Max needs someone closer too him otherwise what he does is wasted.

Sterling and Mason both looked good at times but also looked liabilities at times. Hopefully just nerves and they'll grow into their roles. Getting over the injuries and suspensions in the back four and having a settled first choice four should help that.

A game we could OF, and should have, won. They were clearly happy to settle for a point from the off with the time wasting or 'game management' as it is called these days. Bet they can't believe their luck to come away with all 3, proper smash and grab job.

PA at the Ricoh hasn't been fixed, in fact doesn't appear to have been any maintenance done in the close season.
It's A Buzzard alert, It's A Buzzard alert!!

giphy.gif

Johnnythespider

Regarding the subs, would we not have been better to ask Grimmer to play CB? Or use him at RB alongside Thompson and push Sterling further forward? Shipley on the right didn’t work.
Beat me to it

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
It probably wouldn’t come as much of a surprise to most of you but Cov Tel are running the headline of ‘horror start for Mark Robins and his Sky Blues side’

Fucking hell
Jeez, what would they write if they were the Morecambe Telegraph?...

DannyThomas_1981

So many positives today despite the result.

Two exciting young full backs with pace. Ogogo, Bayliss, Andreu would feature in most teams in this league. Absolute quality and a class above. The interplay for 70 minutes was of Championship quality.

Willis is a top notch defender and we have Davies back as required.

Jones waiting in the wings to cause further and major problems for defences. Hiwula needs a couple of games but he's a real talent.

Some of the lads are not quite match fit and it's going to take a few weeks to gel but when it does this is going to be one exciting season.

SIR ERNIE

I think we're going to struggle to score twos and threes in a game without a nippy striker. At this level the more successful sides usually have someone who can think quickly and find space before defenders realise what's happening.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Good performance

If we can get someone to stick the ball in the net we will have a good season as we look a good team.

Difference today was they were more clinical than us and it's a tough lesson about life in this league and the difference in quality. In L2 we would probably jave gotten away with the 1-0 win but two chances and two goals for them in the second half.

Sky Blue Pete

Biggest complaint against Robins since he's been here is that he's way to slow to make subs. They'd made three before they equalised and it changed the game in their favour. Sitting on a 1-0 lead is never enough, we should have changed things around the hour mark.
We didn’t sit on the lead. We hit the post and had numerous other chances. You’re talking rubbish

Greggs

I think we're going to struggle to score twos and threes in a game without a nippy striker. At this level the more successful sides usually have someone who can think quickly and find space before defenders realise what's happening.
Be careful what you say, no slightly negative opinions allowed on here!

CCFC_Charlie

We didn’t sit on the lead. We hit the post and had numerous other chances. You’re talking rubbish
I meant that we sat on a lead by not changing things, aka we were happy to keep going with what we had instead of trying to freshen up. Naivity in thinking the same 11 can do the job for 90 minutes will cost us this season, need to make changes quicker, especially when opposition have made all three.

stevefloyd

I thought overall we played some great stuff at times and looked well in control, unfortunately we missed a few chances I like Max but he really isn't going to win us many games same with Jonson Bambi Harris, the full backs looked nervy at times especially Sterling and Andreu was pure class also special mention for Kajagogo who looked well in control of the midfield, I disagree that Hiwula looked crap or whatever someone called him, he created a few chances but snatched at them, as soon as his confidence goes up he could be pretty decent but we need someone up front to terror the oppositions defences

Sky Blue Pete

I meant that we sat on a lead by not changing things, aka we were happy to keep going with what we had instead of trying to freshen up. Naivity in thinking the same 11 can do the job for 90 minutes will cost us this season, need to make changes quicker, especially when opposition have made all three.
Ah ok. Yep I’d have swapped Jch for max at 60. We were playing so well though

Super Graham Withey

More convinced than ever after today's performance that we need two quality strikers in asap. Biamou and JCH are simply not good enough for League One I'm afraid. Some nice touches and a good goal from Andreu but I'm not convinced playing him in behind a single striker will work throughout the season, hence the need for two strikers. The lad from Huddersfield who played wide left could be one of them. We played some decent football through the middle today but as Tony Mowbray said when we were last in this league it's about what happens in both penalty boxes that counts.

Hobo

I really enjoyed the game and I thought both sides played well. They took their chances well but I thought we were the better footballing side and deserved something from the game.

Ogogo, Doyle, Andrei and Bayliss played some really good stuff. Biamou worked hard and nearly made things happen a few time.

Hiwula looks a classy player who wants to be involved with very good touches and awareness. Probably should have scored first half, but considering he has only been with us a few days very promising.

Mason got better as the game went on after a few shaky moments early on. Sterling looks vulnerable as a fullback, but looks like a proper winger to me. Taking players on he reminded me of David Bennett.

I think this side has great potential. Scunthorpe look a decent side and a real threat in the air. But I thought we controlled the game for long periods, created chances and perhaps just needed a little bit of luck on the day.

Irish Sky Blue

Didn’t notice that myself but wasn’t really looking at him, fair enough. Would have probably brought Grimmer on instead of Thompson, but exposed our lack of depth at CB badly.
We have 4 centre halves, same as we had last season. Thompson has stepped up to take McDonalds place. As Thompson is a centre half and is on the bench, presumably Robins thinks he can do the job. I thought he was okay. He was not at fault for the goal.

Super Graham Withey

I really enjoyed the game and I thought both sides played well. They took their chances well but I thought we were the better footballing side and deserved something from the game.

Ogogo, Doyle, Andrei and Bayliss played some really good stuff. Biamou worked hard and nearly made things happen a few time.

Hiwula looks a classy player who wants to be involved with very good touches and awareness. Probably should have scored first half, but considering he has only been with us a few days very promising.

Mason got better as the game went on after a few shaky moments early on. Sterling looks vulnerable as a fullback, but looks like a proper winger to me. Taking players on he reminded me of David Bennett.

I think this side has great potential. Scunthorpe look a decent side and a real threat in the air. But I thought we controlled the game for long periods, created chances and perhaps just needed a little bit of luck on the day.

'Biamou worked hard and nearly made things happen a few time' Not good enough I'm afraid

Grendel

We have 4 centre halves, same as we had last season. Thompson has stepped up to take McDonalds place. As Thompson is a centre half and is on the bench, presumably Robins thinks he can do the job. I thought he was okay. He was not at fault for the goal.

Willis was nowhere near fit enough and Davies dispensed

Thompson I assume isn’t ready to make a step up as it’s assuned we are signing another centre half before the windows closes

Grendel

And I'm a bit worried Mark Robins could be amongst their number.

The bottom line is if he’s the number 9 first choice striker this season it’s a relegation dogfight ahead

I have to believe robins can see the blindingly obvious and use him as a late impact sub only

Super Graham Withey

The bottom line is if he’s the number 9 first choice striker this season it’s a relegation dogfight ahead

I have to believe robins can see the blindingly obvious and use him as a late impact sub only
Yes agreed. It's utterly bizarre how Robins keeps picking him. He wasn't good enough in League Two, so on what basis will he be good enough in League One?

Irish Sky Blue

Willis was nowhere near fit enough and Davies dispensed

Thompson I assume isn’t ready to make a step up as it’s assuned we are signing another centre half before the windows closes
Being in the squad today as he was for the play off final would suggest that he is.

Grendel

Yes agreed. It's utterly bizarre how Robins keeps picking him. He wasn't good enough in League Two, so on what basis will he be good enough in League One?

He works his nuts off and it’s everyone elses fault why he’s so isolated and don’t play off him

Grendel

Being in the squad today as he was for the play off final would suggest that he is.

Wasn’t Stokes in the play off final? Why are we trying to sign a new centre half then?

Users who are viewing this thread