Match Thread Coventry City vs Scunthorpe United Match Thread - Saturday 4th Aug (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Grendel Grendel Grendel. Let’s hope you have to eat those words like you should have done at the end of last season but refused to face facts

Perryccfc

It really baffles me to some people’s reviews of games, I wonder if I’ve watched the same match.

We played well for the majority, against, let’s remember a side that has been in the upper 7/8 of the table for the last few years, and last season had a superb away record.

The left back looks a real find. Hiwula looked a threat but drifted in and out. Ogogo looks a real player, flew through a couple of challenges.

Some of the football we played at time was a higher standard this league, the longer they get to play together, with the likes of JJ to come back, possibly Chaplin to come in I can only see a strong top half finish.

We hit the woodwork 4 times I think, missed a couple of good chances and their keeper made a worldly at the end. We will play worse than that this season and walk the game.

Really impressed and excited for the season ahead after that.

larry_david

I still can't work out how they won. Didn't look like scoring all game. One flick header from a corner in the first half and that was it. It has to be lack of fitness. I'm actually very encouraged especially when you add in jones, Kelly, allesani, Davies and burge into the team

Westendlad

It really baffles me to some people’s reviews of games, I wonder if I’ve watched the same match.

We played well for the majority, against, let’s remember a side that has been in the upper 7/8 of the table for the last few years, and last season had a superb away record.

The left back looks a real find. Hiwula looked a threat but drifted in and out. Ogogo looks a real player, flew through a couple of challenges.

Some of the football we played at time was a higher standard this league, the longer they get to play together, with the likes of JJ to come back, possibly Chaplin to come in I can only see a strong top half finish.

We hit the woodwork 4 times I think, missed a couple of good chances and their keeper made a worldly at the end. We will play worse than that this season and walk the game.

Agree with all that. Disappointed like everyone else but positive for the rest of the season.

Ashdown

Just on a note about off field stuff, who made the great decision not to open any drink or food outlets from blocks 27 all the way round to about 22. All shuttered and the queues beyond that were stupid. Must have been perhaps 3000 + fans in those blocks alone without any refreshments ?!

Paxman II

I think we're going to struggle to score twos and threes in a game without a nippy striker. At this level the more successful sides usually have someone who can think quickly and find space before defenders realise what's happening.
You mean like McNulty?!

chiefdave

Just on a note about off field stuff, who made the great decision not to open any drink or food outlets from blocks 27 all the way round to about 22. All shuttered and the queues beyond that were stupid. Must have been perhaps 3000 + fans in those blocks alone without any refreshments ?!
Somehow they've managed to make the organisation worse than last year which takes some doing. Loads more stewards but clueless on what they were supposed to be doing.

Got there well before kick off (in case my season ticket card hadn't been reloaded for this season) and there were already massive queues at some turnstiles but nobody at others. Stewards were turning people away saying the turnstiles are now locked so tickets won't work at the wrong entrance. no idea if that's true or just what they've been told. Stewards were hammering the Ricoh management saying they were clueless and causing no end of problems.

As you say once in the ground hardly anything was open. Not a good idea at the best of times but when its the middle of a heatwave people are going to want to buy things, not to mention they don't want people in the wrong blocks so surely not making people walk to other blocks to find something open is a good idea.

Walking back after the game saw some arguments going on between stewards, police and fans. The stewards had put up barriers to stop people going in to the car parks which had blocked peoples cars in!

For all the fuss about sitting in the right place my card wasn't checked once.

skybluesam66

Somehow they've managed to make the organisation worse than last year which takes some doing. Loads more stewards but clueless on what they were supposed to be doing.

Got there well before kick off (in case my season ticket card hadn't been reloaded for this season) and there were already massive queues at some turnstiles but nobody at others. Stewards were turning people away saying the turnstiles are now locked so tickets won't work at the wrong entrance. no idea if that's true or just what they've been told. Stewards were hammering the Ricoh management saying they were clueless and causing no end of problems.

As you say once in the ground hardly anything was open. Not a good idea at the best of times but when its the middle of a heatwave people are going to want to buy things, not to mention they don't want people in the wrong blocks so surely not making people walk to other blocks to find something open is a good idea.

Walking back after the game saw some arguments going on between stewards, police and fans. The stewards had put up barriers to stop people going in to the car parks which had blocked peoples cars in!

For all the fuss about sitting in the right place my card wasn't checked once.
the turnstile thing was a lie - they told me - I ignored them and it worked fine

pusbccfc

Yes agreed. It's utterly bizarre how Robins keeps picking him. He wasn't good enough in League Two, so on what basis will he be good enough in League One?

Because he has no one else? Biamou has proven he is better than JCH and Ponticelli.

pusbccfc

The same people who decided to close the corner blocks for no valid reason.

east_midlands_skyblue

A good performance, thought we created a lot of chances and looked dangerous for the first hour. Last half an hour we really seemed to lack energy, and think this lethargy cost us the match. Don't understand the Biamou hating, I thought he had a good match today working the channels well and bringing others into the game. I do think we need an alternative to mix it up though. Was really impressed with some of the link play between Bayliss and Andreu, very promising for the remainder of the season. Lots to work on, but my biggest concern is why they seemed so much fitter than us? Was our preseason good enough?

Gint11

Yes agreed. It's utterly bizarre how Robins keeps picking him. He wasn't good enough in League Two, so on what basis will he be good enough in League One?

Are you referring to Biamou?
Can I ask why you think he wasn’t good enough for League 1? Are you basing his value on goal stats?

mark82

Willis was nowhere near fit enough and Davies dispensed

Thompson I assume isn’t ready to make a step up as it’s assuned we are signing another centre half before the windows closes

I think you're probably right that he's not quite ready to step up yet. I don't think he's too far off but wouldn't be great going into the season potentially having to rely on him. Think we could see a bit more of him this year though unless he's sent out on loan.

Magwitch

My assessment:
Thought we played really well overall we will get better and I believe will challenge this season Andrue and Ogogo were excellent as was Mason. Sterling will be real asset too once he finds his feet him and Bayliss worked well together at times. There were no real negatives to me apart from the most important thing the bloody result. Robins says he’s after 3 more players and there’s Jones to come back in so I’m confident we’ll be okay. Don’t know who these wanted new players are or their positions but for me we have been linked with that Chuks Aneke, a big bugger, someone of that ilk, alongside Andrue and Ogogo would be ideal. At times our midfield did look a little small compared to Scunnys. Will never knock Michael Doyle and for someone approaching 37 to play 90 minutes on perhaps the hottest and most humid day I’ve known at a football match is testiment to that mans professionalism. We’ll be okay, onwards and upwards

Last edited:

mark82

I think you have to factor in that they are injury hit and missing a number of key players. Their keeper was making his 5th career league start and looked shaky. We didn't really test him. There are positives but overall it's a disappointing start against a team who were there for the taking.

Magwitch

I think you have to factor in that they are injury hit and missing a number of key players. Their keeper was making his 5th career league start and looked shaky. We didn't really test him. There are positives but overall it's a disappointing start against a team who were there for the taking.
See what you are saying but we could say the same couldn’t we, goalkeeper O’Brien very much a reserve to last years voted top second division goalkeeper, two full backs making their debuts, was it their league debuts ? and first choices Kelly and Davies unavailable.

Otis

I don't think we can play Biamou as a lone striker.

I was impressed with us though yesterday overall. Some good football and great moves.

Our decision making in the final third was poor though.

Otis

See what you are saying but we could say the same couldn’t we, goalkeeper O’Brien very much a reserve to last years voted top second division goalkeeper, two full backs making their debuts, was it their league debuts ? and first choices Kelly and Davies unavailable.
Not sure Kelly is a first choice any more though.

Doyle is captain, so he's in and Ogogo is clearly seen as a first choice. Can't see how we can play all three, unless we drop Bayliss and put Kelly out wide right.

On a side note, anyone else notice that Bayliss seemed very unhappy at being taken off and kicked the bench in frustration when he was subbed.

speedie87

If we play andreu just behind a forward we’d be better off playing hiwula up front as when he gets on ball he’s looking for the forward to make a run in behind with pace

Speedies_Chips

Not sure Kelly is a first choice any more though.

Doyle is captain, so he's in and Ogogo is clearly seen as a first choice. Can't see how we can play all three, unless we drop Bayliss and put Kelly out wide right.

On a side note, anyone else notice that Bayliss seemed very unhappy at being taken off and kicked the bench in frustration when he was subbed.
I think Bayliss' frustration was more to do with the fact that him losing the ball led to their equaliser.

Irish Sky Blue

A good performance, thought we created a lot of chances and looked dangerous for the first hour. Last half an hour we really seemed to lack energy, and think this lethargy cost us the match. Don't understand the Biamou hating, I thought he had a good match today working the channels well and bringing others into the game. I do think we need an alternative to mix it up though. Was really impressed with some of the link play between Bayliss and Andreu, very promising for the remainder of the season. Lots to work on, but my biggest concern is why they seemed so much fitter than us? Was our preseason good enough?
I think some people have a completely fixed mindset about a player and that can never be changed. For some Biamou and Burge can never do anything right. At the moment JCH is a player that frustrates me as his impact on games is marginal and he falls over far too easily, as he did again yesterday. However, I would still hope that he comes good and starts performing in the way that he did in the Brighton game. It seems that some just want certain players to fail and refuse to acknowledge when they have done anything well.
I thought we played well yesterday apart from being a bit fragile at the back. With the clever, quick players we have going forward I think we can certainly create chances. Hopefully we will have someone in this week who can put them away. I did feel sorry for Grimmer yesterday as he was someone I enjoyed watching last season. As with Brown and Shipley however, in the couple of preseason games I saw he hasn’t really impressed. Maybe that cost him his place? I thought Sterling May have done better with their first goal, stretched and poked the ball away from their player. Maybe Grimmer would have dealt with that situation better. It will be interesting who, if anyone Davies comes in for next week. I thought both Willis and Hyam did okay but we did look vulnerable from corners. My choice would be Davies and Willis if the latter is fit.

shmmeee

Think it'll be a case of Davies and Willis start and Hyam comes on for Willis. Not ideal at the back but other option is you take Willis down to U23s while he gets match fit.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It sounds like we were pretty decent, but the line up and formation did baffle me a bit. I think some changes will need to he made for next game.

Ultimately you need to take your chances otherwise you get punished. Hopefully that was down to bad luck rather than the script for the season.

Looking forward to see how we develop.

Otis

I think some people have a completely fixed mindset about a player and that can never be changed. For some Biamou and Burge can never do anything right. At the moment JCH is a player that frustrates me as his impact on games is marginal and he falls over far too easily, as he did again yesterday. However, I would still hope that he comes good and starts performing in the way that he did in the Brighton game. It seems that some just want certain players to fail and refuse to acknowledge when they have done anything well.
I thought we played well yesterday apart from being a bit fragile at the back. With the clever, quick players we have going forward I think we can certainly create chances. Hopefully we will have someone in this week who can put them away. I did feel sorry for Grimmer yesterday as he was someone I enjoyed watching last season. As with Brown and Shipley however, in the couple of preseason games I saw he hasn’t really impressed. Maybe that cost him his place? I thought Sterling May have done better with their first goal, stretched and poked the ball away from their player. Maybe Grimmer would have dealt with that situation better. It will be interesting who, if anyone Davies comes in for next week. I thought both Willis and Hyam did okay but we did look vulnerable from corners. My choice would be Davies and Willis if the latter is fit.
Yes, from corners and set pieces we did look very vulnerable. Thought Scunthorpe were excellent with their set plays.

Users who are viewing this thread