Match Thread Coventry City vs Scunthorpe United Match Thread - Saturday 4th Aug (1 Viewer)

Perryccfc

I think you have to factor in that they are injury hit and missing a number of key players. Their keeper was making his 5th career league start and looked shaky. We didn't really test him. There are positives but overall it's a disappointing start against a team who were there for the taking.

You could argue the same for us though. Jones missing, Burge missing, Kelly and Davies arguably could start, our top scorer from last season has gone. We had new players learning each other’s games. It was a very tight but entertaining match against a solid side. Of course I’m disappointed to lose but I walked out of the ground happy with what I had watched.

Gint11

Ultimately the result is what matters and we lost. But it was a game of fine margins as often it is. At 1-0 we hit the post and bar, one of them goes in and it’s and different game. Equally the same for them with their chances.

It’s obvious we need a striker to compliment what we already have but once fitness levels increase and we gel a bit more we will be fine.

We need to be realistic. Expecting back to back promotions is a big ask. First 10 games signals what sort of season we’ll have, not the first 90 minutes. Equally he same for writing off players after 1 game.

covcity4life

Ultimately the result is what matters and we lost. But it was a game of fine margins as often it is. At 1-0 we hit the post and bar, one of them goes in and it’s and different game. Equally the same for them with their chances.

It’s obvious we need a striker to compliment what we already have but once fitness levels increase and we gel a bit more we will be fine.

We need to be realistic. Expecting back to back promotions is a big ask. First 10 games signals what sort of season we’ll have, not the first 90 minutes. Equally he same for writing off players after 1 game.
I don't expect promotion but I expect to be in the promotion mix

And what I saw yesterday just cemented that.

Warwickhunt

I liked what I saw yesterday and given that they will have another week training behind them I think we will take AFC Wimbledon in their own back yard on saturday

stupot07

I think you have to factor in that they are injury hit and missing a number of key players. Their keeper was making his 5th career league start and looked shaky. We didn't really test him. There are positives but overall it's a disappointing start against a team who were there for the taking.
We were missing burge, Kelly, Davies and Jodi Jones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mark82

Losing at home, to a team missing their 3 best players?

It's not all about the result of a single game. Result disappointing, performance promising. Let's not forget we were also missing some key players - Jones, Burge, Kelly, Davies plus a McNulty replacement. Also have Alassani to come in who has impressed in pre-season but is a bit of an unknown.

Otis

OK you're right. He's f

Being better than JCH and Ponticelli does not mean he's good enough to lead the line in League One
No, it doesn't. Doesn't automatically make him crap though.

Think he has a part to play, but not sure he should be leading the line and most certainly not as the lone striker. Not suited at all I don't think. It worked well as a tandem with him an McNumpty, the TWO of them.

mark82

No, it doesn't. Doesn't automatically make him crap though.

Think he has a part to play, but not sure he should be leading the line and most certainly not as the lone striker. Not suited at all I don't think. It worked well as a tandem with him an McNumpty, the TWO of them.

There's a certain element who have always had it in for Biamou. Even if he scores 20 goals this season they'll find a reason he's not good enough.

Sky Blue Harry H

Back from the caravan. Shame about yesterday, but hasn't dented my 'it's going to be a good season' confidence. Hi to everyone ….and see a few of you at Wimbledon!!

Great_Expectations

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, especially when it comes to football, but some of the comments in here are a little exaggerated.

I’m incredibly frustrated we lost yesterday, but there are certainly positives to take from it:

• Ogogo looks a great acquisition, he’s not a game changer but very much an enforcer.
  • Mason looks solid defensively
  • MR actually set us up to play football and attack - a positive sign for the season and his ambitions
  • The interplay between Andreu, Bayliss, Biamou and Hiwula at times was a class above
  • It’s clear there’s more to come from a number of players; Hiwula, Mason, Sterling, Andreu, Bayliss.
  • We still have Jones, Davies and another striker to add to the mix
Although he was solid defensively I thought Mason was shakey offensively, especially the first half, but I’d put that down to nerves. Sterling was also a little underwhelming, but again I’d say that’s a combination of nerves and inexperience of men’s football.

I don’t agree with the selling of McDonald criticism, McDonald wouldn’t have been any better than Thompson yesterday. Why would we keep hold of him for the sake of one game, especially as MR obviously believes Thompson is close enough to the first team.

Andreu is very much a playmaker in the Mata mould, he’s not going to run at defenders or move play forwards with the ball, but he’s constantly looking for a ball behind/through the defence. Which highlights that either we need a pacey striker as opposed to a target man type or our wingers need to push on more.

We out performed a team who have consistently been up there in L1, so while the result was poor, with a few tweaks I still believe we’ll have a strong season.

Super Graham Withey

There's a certain element who have always had it in for Biamou. Even if he scores 20 goals this season they'll find a reason he's not good enough.
Of course I haven't 'always had in' for Biamou and it's nothing personal. But as even Otis points out above Biamou is clearly not good enough at present to lead the line in League One. Are we forever as a fanbase just going to accept someone who 'puts it in' but clearly isn't up it? This is the sort of bumbling acceptance of mediocrity that in part explains why this club is in League One. We took 40,000 fans to Wembley at the end of May. We deserve better than to start the season with Biamou as a lone striker.

Sky Blue Pete

Of course I haven't 'always had in' for Biamou and it's nothing personal. But as even Otis points out above Biamou is clearly not good enough at present to lead the line in League One. Are we forever as a fanbase just going to accept someone who 'puts it in' but clearly isn't up it? This is the sort of bumbling acceptance of mediocrity that in part explains why this club is in League One. We took 40,000 fans to Wembley at the end of May. We deserve better than to start the season with Biamou as a lone striker.
Wonder what the comments would be after the 3-1 win we deserved

Super Graham Withey

Wonder what the comments would be after the 3-1 win we deserved
No knee jerk reaction I'm afraid. I said we needed another striker before McNulty left. We played well in parts yesterday and did deserve to win, I'm just convinced that Biamou, JCH and Ponti are not going to cut it at this level.

Otis

No knee jerk reaction I'm afraid. I said we needed another striker before McNulty left. We played well in parts yesterday and did deserve to win, I'm just convinced that Biamou, JCH and Ponti are not going to cut it at this level.
I do think it is possible for Biamou to do okay at this level, but I can't see him as being our first choice go to guy.

I think he may well be better coming on as an impact sub. Unless we change the system.

He did some neat little flicks yesterday, but he isn't great at holding the ball up to allow others to come into play and push forward.

If you play just one target man up front he needs to be able to hold the ball up for it to work properly.

Sky Blue Pete

I do think it is possible for Biamou to do okay at this level, but I can't see him as being our first choice go to guy.

I think he may well be better coming on as an impact sub. Unless we change the system.

He did some neat little flicks yesterday, but he isn't great at holding the ball up to allow others to come into play and push forward.

If you play just one target man up front he needs to be able to hold the ball up for it to work properly.
Or the midfield 5 need to support more quickly. I agree about Biamou Over the season but yesterday the reason we lost wasn’t due to him. We could have scored 5 and should have scored 3. Thought Hiwula looked good through the middle. That said at home we need to work out a way of playing with more men going forward without being foolhardy.

Otis

Or the midfield 5 need to support more quickly. I agree about Biamou Over the season but yesterday the reason we lost wasn’t due to him. We could have scored 5 and should have scored 3. Thought Hiwula looked good through the middle. That said at home we need to work out a way of playing with more men going forward without being foolhardy.
Yes, for sure it helps if players are getting forwards to support, but if you have a forward who can hold the ball up to allow others to then support that is a great boon to have.

Sky Blue Pete

Yes, for sure it helps if players are getting forwards to support, but if you have a forward who can hold the ball up to allow others to then support that is a great boon to have.
Course. Jch was great after getting some flak for falling over. He’s such a beast when he’s on it. Away at Brighton was another one where he was bruising

Sky Blue Pete

And it’s interesting for me with max as I thought he’d clearly improved on last year in playing with those around him and in confidence to take a shot and take on a player. We’ll see how things go. Fully expect Chaplin or someone to come in and be first choice. In fact I’d be very surprised if Hiwula wasn’t up front next Saturday

Hobo

Ok, but what is JCH giving us? I would rather stick with Biamou's work rate and defensive qualities, he nearly got in a few times yesterday where as JCH doesn't put himself on the line and just looks for free kicks.

If we can sign better within budget of course I would accept that; but it isn't always that easy.

Otis

JCH is so frustrating. First thought is seemingly to go to ground with every challenge.

NortonSkyBlue

What has taking 40,000 to wembley got to do with losing to Scunthorpe?
Personally I don't believe that either Biamou or JCH are the answer but it's not my team to pick.

Nick

Administrator
He is always going to play biamou or jch to give us the option to win headers up front. If Chaplin came in and replaced biamou we would see everything come back to us.

Otis

He is always going to play biamou or jch to give us the option to win headers up front. If Chaplin came in and replaced biamou we would see everything come back to us.
Well yep, you would have to think Chaplin would be a direct replacement for McNumpty and therefore we would play the way we did last season.

On Saturday it was just Biamou on his own for the most part, with the other attacking players then therefore having to support and get forwards.

Users who are viewing this thread