Match Thread Coventry City vs Scunthorpe United Match Thread - Saturday 4th Aug (4 Viewers)

CCFC_Charlie

Really, really poor in the final 30. Very disppointing as we showed more than enough to get a win today. Defence looks poor, need another CB in and get Grimmer back in the side for Wimbledon. Hiwula played exactly like a player who’d not had a pre-season, hopefully he gets better once he trains more with the rest of the squad because he was very poor today. Ogogo and Andreu were excellent, as was Bayliss. Taking him off was a terrible decision, as was taking off Willis.

Grendel

Don't think you even read posts, just scan them for a extraneous point you can argue about.

You raised a concern about an inexperienced defence. The manager selected these above other options

Grendel

Really, really poor in the final 30. Very disppointing as we showed more than enough to get a win today. Defence looks poor, need another CB in and get Grimmer back in the side for Wimbledon. Hiwula played exactly like a player who’d not had a pre-season, hopefully he gets better once he trains more with the rest of the squad because he was very poor today. Ogogo and Andreu were excellent, as was Bayliss. Taking him off was a terrible decision, as was taking off Willis.

Willis could hardly walk!

Garryb80

Willis had to go off. Was flagging due to his lack of minutes so far

Legia Sky Blue

Disappointing result but first game results generally have little relevance to the league's eventual outcome. I thought there were some decent signs and we were a little unlucky not to win the game. Making 3 subs in one go seemed a strange decision, while the only player that overly disappointed me was Sterling. He was caught napping on the wrong side for their first goal, while I expected a bit more from him coming forward. That said he's had less time than the other new signings to gel with his team mates, and I presume he is a lot better than he looked today. No point being too down on today I think we have a decent looking squad, just lacking a forward who I hope we sign this week then its onwards and upwards!

skybluepm2

Truly gutted that we lost that and it was ours to throw away. Positive performance and we should’ve been 3 or 4 up before conceding a couple of very poor goals.

Tony Andreu was my MOTM, oozed quality every time he got the ball at his feet. Ogogo likewise. Felt bad for Grimmer, one of my favourite players from last season.

The timing of triple substitution was for me, somewhat bizarre. I get that Willis was blowing out of his backside but to replace him with a rookie to play alongside a young man who isn’t much older was a huge risk which is why I think we should’ve kept hold or McDonald until we had the opportunity to bring in a replacement.

That being said, I remain positive, we played some lovely football at times and here’s hoping we can kick on next week at Wimbledon with Conor Chaplin grabbing his first hat-trick for us!

junglej13

Willis was shattered. Was looking to the bench for a while. Taking Bayliss off was a mistake though. A lot of positives though. We look a really good side. When you think we still have Jones, Allassani and Davies to come back. Added to that new additions before Thursday and things look promising.

Ashdown

Some good individual play, lots of skill,need to gel and stop bottling tackles though ! Scunny were ok really and exploited a fairly weak defence ! Enjoyed the match overall though, not bad entertainment.

Grendel

stevefloyd

Biamou perfects the overhead kick. He has no real centre forward awareness - when the keeper fumbled Andreus effort he was nowhere near the play - when mason fired a cross in he wasn’t attempting to get on front of s defender
I 100% agree with you...if we had had a decent striker on in that first half we would have walked that game by a country mile...I don't mind Max but he is definitely not the answer this season on that showing

Nick

Administrator
I 100% agree with you...if we had had a decent striker on in that first half we would have walked that game by a country mile...I don't mind Max but he is definitely not the answer this season on that showing

It's obvious that Robins is going to play either JCH or Biamou central and then 2 playing off them / wingers.

hinckley cov

Robins has to take blame them 3 substitutions at the time caused the 2nd goal ,why take Bayliss off it changed the shape of the team.But I’m not too down as I think we have a decent side that just needs too gel

CCFC_Charlie

Biggest complaint against Robins since he's been here is that he's way to slow to make subs. They'd made three before they equalised and it changed the game in their favour. Sitting on a 1-0 lead is never enough, we should have changed things around the hour mark.

SlowerThanPlatt

Think some people’s expectations were too high coming into this season after last years success. Scunthorpe are a strong L1 side who have competed at the top end of this league consistently for a while now

Got a few easier on paper fixtures coming up. Wimbledon, Plymouth and Gillingham. See where we are after them - we’ll be fine I think in mid table once we get a few more players in and Jones, Kelly and Davies are back available but can’t see us having enough in attack to challenge the top sides

D

Deleted member 4439

Bayliss caused the equaliser didn’t he? I think robins disappointed with him not getting round the guy
I thought he was on the receiving end of a good fashioned obstruction, the type that are foul play but which never seem to get called.

Nick

Administrator
Think some people’s expectations were too high coming into this season after last years success. Scunthorpe are a strong L1 side who have competed at the top end of this league consistently for a while now

Got a few easier on paper fixtures coming up. Wimbledon, Plymouth and Gillingham. See where we are after them - we’ll be fine I think in mid table once we get a few more players in and Jones, Kelly and Davies are back available but can’t see us having enough in attack to challenge the top sides

Think that's why I am obviously gutted we lost but not come away fuming. Scunthorpe were always going to be a tough test and we outplayed them for about 3/4 of the game.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Truly gutted that we lost that and it was ours to throw away. Positive performance and we should’ve been 3 or 4 up before conceding a couple of very poor goals.

Tony Andreu was my MOTM, oozed quality every time he got the ball at his feet. Ogogo likewise. Felt bad for Grimmer, one of my favourite players from last season.

The timing of triple substitution was for me, somewhat bizarre. I get that Willis was blowing out of his backside but to replace him with a rookie to play alongside a young man who isn’t much older was a huge risk which is why I think we should’ve kept hold or McDonald until we had the opportunity to bring in a replacement.

That being said, I remain positive, we played some lovely football at times and here’s hoping we can kick on next week at Wimbledon with Conor Chaplin grabbing his first hat-trick for us!

Regarding the subs, would we not have been better to ask Grimmer to play CB? Or use him at RB alongside Thompson and push Sterling further forward? Shipley on the right didn’t work.

Nick

Administrator
Regarding the subs, would we not have been better to ask Grimmer to play CB? Or use him at RB alongside Thompson and push Sterling further forward? Shipley on the right didn’t work.

I would have done something like that, when Shipley decided he wants to go on the left nobody then went on the right.

Johnnythespider

Awful goal to give away

Their changes changed the game

We have nothing up front, way too far apart

Shipley right mid???
The subs were odd to me, I understand Willis was blowing but Shipley to right mid ? I would have put Grimmer on at right back and pushed Sterling forward, at least Thompson would have had an experienced full back outside him.

SkyblueBazza

Losing at home, to a team missing their 3 best players?
With all the new players we have...I'd be more concerned about a couple of stunning wins in the first 3 games. Happens in every league virtually every season. Big turnover of personnel works initially then flops.
How often do we see a side languishing near the relegation places at the end of October, only to gain promotion?

In other words let's see how we are faring 12 (I usually say 10...but so many changes) games in before letting the anxiety creep in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread