Match Thread Coventry City - Stoke City Match Thread - Saturday 6th Jan (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Usually our media section is empty bar 5 journalists.

It will be full on Saturday. Mark Hughes really is in a no win situation.knives are out.

NortonSkyBlue

What you are saying is for people to want to go and support ccfc they need to have discounted tickets and to play teams like Stoke? Yes, look around you. People are not interested any more and will not come back until there is either some significant success, or the hassle of going is worth a minimal cost.

I could understand if CCFC had whacked the prices up or were massively more than everybody else but they aren't are they? They did whack the prices up, straight after we got relegated.

Just don't get all of the "it was a missed opportunity" stuff. Because when you are there on Saturday there will be a half empty (or more most likely) stadium. There could have been a really good crowd if they had enticed the fans.

Look, I know you're happy to pay the money, and you wonder why others are not. You see things through the same eyes as the owners in my opinion, and I think most other people see things through the eyes of being long suffering fans. That majority are the same majority who would be filling those empty seats. I'm not calling you a 'SISU lover', but I think you do find it hard to relate to a large amount of the unhappy fanbase.

I know there are some excuses, but there are also a large amount of genuine supporters who won't (and haven't) been prepared to part with their hard earned cash without a little encouragement. That's not going to change whilst the club maintains the same viewpoint that you and they both have.
I can see both sides of this argument and my own feeling is that nothing will entice people at this present time because of many factors;

1. Top grade rugby and entertainment pre and post match events
2. Disillusionment with CCFC and all surrounding it
3. Price at this time of year
4. Unattractive top flight opposition
I really hope there will be a good walk up but I feel that unless the club is successful beyond division 4, new progressive owners and a rebrand that challenges Wasps on every level then apathy will reign over our club like a black cloud.
Pricing is a side show in my opinion but the club could have tried something to tickle the fancy of the price conscious during January. I would have liked to have seen the telegraph stand open at tenner.

stevefloyd

According to Clive last night the Club forecast is for 14K.
So if any number crunchers wish, it may offer the oportunity to evaluate the logic around pricing, which I'm sure will be based on maximising income over anything else.
so if we have to share the spoils it will be the same as a normal home game

stevefloyd

If we could guarantee promotion as well as a good cup run fantastic but we need promotion more than making up the numbers for the FA cup because lets face it we aint gonna win it

chiefdave

Stoke would also have to agree with a price reduction and the Premiership greed probaby kicks in☺
Seems the rule has been changed last season and its now just the home side that sets the price.
The FA said:
(ii) Competition Proper

Immediately after the draw is known, the Club playing at home shall decide on the prices of admission, subject to a minimum price of £10.00 for all spectators other than concessions. The away Club’s spectators can only be charged more than the home Club’s spectators if mutually agreed by both Clubs.

Otis

I cannot wait for SISU to go and the regular gates of 25k that we'll get instantly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
They should, but then you also have to factor in the weather, distance and the 'I've got a paper cut' potential paying customers.

If it's a lovely sunny day and we provide free buses then we'll get the really big crowds (minus the paper cut boys of course).

It will increase slightly now if we stay right at the top, but do expect a bumper crowd for the home game that could seal promotion, with 20,000 people all claiming they are one of the 5,000 actual season ticket holders.

Londonccfcfan

SISU if they
I cannot wait for SISU to go and the regular gates of 25k that we'll get instantly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

25k not a chance in hell. In the premier league maybe.

20k in championship maybe, and 15k maybe in league one.

Our highest average attendance ever in last 40 years is only about 20/21 k in championship.

Otis

SISU if they

25k not a chance in hell. In the premier league maybe.

20k in championship maybe, and 15k maybe in league one.

Our highest average attendance ever in last 40 years is only about 20/21 k in championship.
The last 20 years plus of that being abject failure.

Never been tested with a winning team. We can only truly judge when we are successful.

Liquid Gold

It should have been cheaper as football is so expensive and would be an opportunity to give the fans a cheaper game. It doesn't change things really as I would have gone anyway even with a price increase and the vast majority of those complaining wouldn't have gone anyway if it was cheaper. The problem is SISU. To be honest, we're down to such hardcore now they may as well double the cost of the tickets as those of us left will continue to pay and the walk up is fuck all anyway.

Nick

Administrator
It should have been cheaper as football is so expensive and would be an opportunity to give the fans a cheaper game. It doesn't change things really as I would have gone anyway even with a price increase and the vast majority of those complaining wouldn't have gone anyway if it was cheaper. The problem is SISU. To be honest, we're down to such hardcore now they may as well double the cost of the tickets as those of us left will continue to pay and the walk up is fuck all anyway.

There were cheaper games the last 2 rounds if that's the issue.

I agree though, football is stupid but it isn't just us and us alone which people don't seem to get.

Exeter tickets back on sale at £22, not much of a fuss made about that?

SlowerThanPlatt

11,000 now sold so looks a better crowd than expected, around 8,000 sold to CCFC fans. Should be a good atmosphere with a large away following and a fullish Tesco stand like the JPT games back in 2012

Grendel

I can see both sides of this argument and my own feeling is that nothing will entice people at this present time because of many factors;

1. Top grade rugby and entertainment pre and post match events
2. Disillusionment with CCFC and all surrounding it
3. Price at this time of year
4. Unattractive top flight opposition
I really hope there will be a good walk up but I feel that unless the club is successful beyond division 4, new progressive owners and a rebrand that challenges Wasps on every level then apathy will reign over our club like a black cloud.
Pricing is a side show in my opinion but the club could have tried something to tickle the fancy of the price conscious during January. I would have liked to have seen the telegraph stand open at tenner.

The crowd will be about the average wasps attract for “top flight rugby” which negates all your points.

pusbccfc

11,000 now sold so looks a better crowd than expected, around 8,000 sold to CCFC fans. Should be a good atmosphere with a large away following and a fullish Tesco stand like the JPT games back in 2012

Best 3 atmospheres at the Ricoh were Preston JPT, Wycombe semi final last season and the Ricoh return game.

First two of those had attendances of around 12,000 Coventry fans. Would be fantastic if we could reach that.

Londonccfcfan

looks like SISU have got the pricing right in terms of maximising revenue. Not trying to defend the pricing. but it seems they are getting more home fans to this than any other league match 8k plus.
A lot of posters thought we would get less than 10k and that Stoke would outsell havnt materialised.

Looks like a 14k crowd plus or minus 500.

If tickets were 50%cheaper around £11/12. Would the crowd have been double? ie 28K...?No chance.
Also the cheaper the tickets the less money per person they make due to more policing/stewerding costs.

NortonSkyBlue

The crowd will be about the average wasps attract for “top flight rugby” which negates all your points.
I really hope we get to Wasps average, I will be happy to have my points negated!
When we match and overtake Wasps crowds on a regular basis then we will be well and truly on the way back.
Can you see that in the short to medium term?

pusbccfc

looks like SISU have got the pricing right in terms of maximising revenue. Not trying to defend the pricing. but it seems they are getting more home fans to this than any other league match 8k plus.
A lot of posters thought we would get less than 10k and that Stoke would outsell havnt materialised.

Looks like a 14k crowd plus or minus 500.

If tickets were 50%cheaper around £11/12. Would the crowd have been double? ie 28K...?No chance.
Also the cheaper the tickets the less money per person they make due to more policing/stewerding costs.

I must admit I don't think we would have sold much more.

For example, the tickets were cheap against Wycombe last season in the semi final and we didn't sell well.

It still would have been nice to have added a few more, even if it was 2000 or so.

Londonccfcfan

I must admit I don't think we would have sold much more.

For example, the tickets were cheap against Wycombe last season in the semi final and we didn't sell well.

It still would have been nice to have added a few more, even if it was 2000 or so.

We only had one weeks notice of fixture and to buy tickets for Wycombe semi final.
We sold 10k in about a week. Wasn’t too shabby.

better days

Tbh I suspect (hope) that Robins will be given the help he needs in this window - mainly by the owners allowing him to hold onto the best players until the end of the season
Fisher has talked about not selling 'at the bottom of the cycle'
Promotion would make us a more attractive proposition
They didn't sell Stevenson, lamieras or Willis in January last year as they wanted to help Slade avoid relegation - and the offers were lower than their valuations
Not holding my breath though

BlueElephant

Tbh I suspect (hope) that Robins will be given the help he needs in this window - mainly by the owners allowing him to hold onto the best players until the end of the season
Fisher has talked about not selling 'at the bottom of the cycle'
Promotion would make us a more attractive proposition
They didn't sell Stevenson, lamieras or Willis in January last year as they wanted to help Slade avoid relegation - and the offers were lower than their valuations
Not holding my breath though

This has to be the logic - but you never know with Sisu! They should now be doing ALL they can to aide in our promotion this season.

Ashdown

Best 3 atmospheres at the Ricoh were Preston JPT, Wycombe semi final last season and the Ricoh return game.

First two of those had attendances of around 12,000 Coventry fans. Would be fantastic if we could reach that.
I really think the bigger and louder crowds at Wolves, Blackburn and Gillingham were the best 3 for me.

ajsccfc

When Scott Dann scored against Newcastle was one of the loudest I've heard since moving to the Ricoh. The end of that Preston game was pure magic too.

jordan210

Some reason I have a good feeling about this. thinking a 2-1 win. With a last 5 min goal.

So this means in reality Stoke will spank us.

pusbccfc

When Scott Dann scored against Newcastle was one of the loudest I've heard since moving to the Ricoh. The end of that Preston game was pure magic too.

There were only 19,000 there for that one and probably 2/3k were Newcastle.

pusbccfc

I really think the bigger and louder crowds at Wolves, Blackburn and Gillingham were the best 3 for me.

Blackburn definitely up there. Only 22k there that night if I remember correctly. However, it looked at felt like a fair bit more.

Cavan O'Doherty

I can see them struggling at the turnstiles for this game. Seems like they can't cope with a more than usual crowd like the Wycombe episode.

Users who are viewing this thread