Match Thread Coventry City - Stoke City Match Thread - Saturday 6th Jan (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I've genuinely been shocked by the amount of uproar there has been over ticket pricing. It's £23 with booking fee. £23 to watch Forest Green or £23 to watch us play against the big boys. It would be a sell out if it were United, Chelsea regardless of cost. Stoke have some quality players and its a chance for us to potentially (although unlikely) cause an upset. If I heard Notts County were charging the same, I wouldnt think they were being ripped off at all. People are looking for an excuse not to go, that's fine, but that's what it is, it's not ridiculous pricing.

It's the same pricing as Exeter away to sit in a shed, yet no uproar. It's because they set it and not CCFC.

Interesting that Exeter are charging £27 for the West Brom game for seats and £20 for standing. Whacked their prices up from league games.

Mcbean

Just want to see Shaquiri play - we should be winning this with a canter - can you imagine if it were the other way round Stoke would not get a lookin !

Grendel

If a game against a premier league team is not selling well then you have to ask yourself why that is.

'Standard ticket prices' don't really work for a disillusioned fan base. Maybe if we were Wolves and top of the Championship then yes, but not CCFC after the last 5 years, and now fighting to get out of L2.

The club should have just done everything in their power to get drifting fans back and hooked in time for a second half of the season promotion push. To argue against that is frankly ridiculous.

I doubt Stoke would agree to significantly less admission prices to be honest.

Esoterica

I do think tickets could have been a bit cheaper in the context of the time of year, having had 3 home games in 2 weeks since 16th December but this would be a reward for the still loyal fans. If the wider fanbase is truly broken though, is a 15/18/20 quid ticket for an FA cup game against Stoke, with no further home league game until Jan 20th really going to reignite the fire and get people back in the habit again? I would very much doubt it. It'll be cold, the pitch is shocking, the tanoy is bust, the pies are expensive, the atmosphere will suck and we'll lose 3-0. The repair job we need will take years of getting things right off the pitch not just a fiver off an FA cup ticket.

Great_Expectations

For all the bluster re prices, the truth is people just don’t want to go. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to make whatever choices they like, but don’t make it about something it isn’t.

In terms of the game itself, they’ll either be absolutely up for it in a show of support for Hughes or have zero motivation/confidence. If it’s the latter; we score first, we win.

pusbccfc

I'm just looking forward to Stoke fans singing 'Coventry's a shit hole, I want to go home' followed by a rendition of 'City of culture, you'll never sing that' by singers corner.

pusbccfc

For all the bluster re prices, the truth is people just don’t want to go. That’s fine, everyone is entitled to make whatever choices they like, but don’t make it about something it isn’t.

In terms of the game itself, they’ll either be absolutely up for it in a show of support for Hughes or have zero motivation/confidence. If it’s the latter; we score first, we win.

Looking on their forum, they are protesting against Hughes for 90 minutes :facepalm:.

SlowerThanPlatt

I imagine Hughes will play a strong team on Saturday. If he loses this one he’s definitely gone. All the pressure is on them to dispatch of us which could work in our favour

Otis

It's not arguing against it, it's just pointing out if people won't go to watch CCFC against Stoke for £22 / £24 then they aren't going to watch them play Swindon for the same are they?
I do think the one thing they could have possibly done was to make it a fiver for kids.

This is the sort of game that if you win you might have just set up a new Sky Blue supporter for life.

But agree, we need more bums on seats for the important games and this season the important games are all in League Two.

Nick

Administrator
I do think the one thing they could have possibly done was to make it a fiver for kids.

This is the sort of game that if you win you might have just set up a new Sky Blue supporter for life.

But agree, we need more bums on seats for the important games and this season the important games are all in League Two.

It is a fiver for kids isn't it?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There was never any suggestion of cheaper tickets before it apart from everybody assuming.

If they don't want to watch, then the whole get fans on board by giving cheaper tickets against Stoke doesn't work does it if they aren't going to go back until the next time we get a Premier League team and drop the ticket prices.

If we hadn't seen it over and over where people don't return (look at Gillingham for example) then it would probably make more sense.

If it's all about price to watch CCFC then go to the Boreham Wood game, then it becomes opposition and price, then it becomes car parking too expensive, ticket price and opposition.

Alright, for the sake of argument, let's just suppose that the reason there will be loads of empty seats on Saturday is not due to SISU or the ticket prices.

What's the reason?

Ashdown

I do think tickets could have been a bit cheaper in the context of the time of year, having had 3 home games in 2 weeks since 16th December but this would be a reward for the still loyal fans. If the wider fanbase is truly broken though, is a 15/18/20 quid ticket for an FA cup game against Stoke, with no further home league game until Jan 20th really going to reignite the fire and get people back in the habit again? I would very much doubt it. It'll be cold, the pitch is shocking, the tanoy is bust, the pies are expensive, the atmosphere will suck and we'll lose 3-0. The repair job we need will take years of getting things right off the pitch not just a fiver off an FA cup ticket.
But above all, the final departure of Fisher and his pay masters fucking off into the sunset, now that would be the beginning of the beginning !

Nick

Administrator
Alright, for the sake of argument, let's just suppose that the reason there will be loads of empty seats on Saturday is not due to SISU or the ticket prices.

What's the reason?

People aren't arsed, we are League 2 playing Forest Green and Cheltenham. If there was no SISU there would be an increase, not doubting that but it's not going to shoot up to a sell out every week. When SISU go can see it being like the return Gillingham game and then dropping off probably with maybe 400 - 500 on the gate more in League 2. If there's a game like play off or where we could seal promotion it would go up again.

It was drummed into people from the off at how it was a rip off, how it is SISU ripping off fans etc. Telegraph articles about how it was a rip off, ohhh Everton / Liverpool are doing a special offer so compare it to 2 premier league teams.

People just aren't really that bothered but will join in with the annoyance because they can shout at CCFC because of it.

Ashdown

Correction: ' Shout at the arseholes who have run CCFC into the ground and continue to prioritise all other legal ambitions before anything else'

Nick

Administrator
Correction: ' Shout at the arseholes who have run CCFC into the ground and continue to prioritise all other legal ambitions before anything else'

Not really, it's when people weren't going to go anyway but now try and make out it's down to the price that they aren't. Just say you aren't arsed and will do something else rather than whip it up as pricing stopping it.

pusbccfc

A thousand tickets have been sold today, which isn't too bad.

The club are trying a bit harder too, making it clear this is the first Premier League side to play at the Ricoh since 2009.

If there is 10,000 Coventry fans there Saturday I think the atmosphere will be decent.

Nick

Administrator
A thousand tickets have been sold today, which isn't too bad.

The club are trying a bit harder too, making it clear this is the first Premier League side to play at the Ricoh since 2009.

If there is 10,000 Coventry fans there Saturday I think the atmosphere will be decent.

Will be interesting to see how many will pay on the day, somebody else in the thread has said they will and we will be just buying them on the way in as well.

Can see it maybe being 11,000 in total or around that. (depending how many from Stoke rock up on the day)

Otis

People aren't arsed, we are League 2 playing Forest Green and Cheltenham. If there was no SISU there would be an increase, not doubting that but it's not going to shoot up to a sell out every week. When SISU go can see it being like the return Gillingham game and then dropping off probably with maybe 400 - 500 on the gate more in League 2. If there's a game like play off or where we could seal promotion it would go up again.

It was drummed into people from the off at how it was a rip off, how it is SISU ripping off fans etc. Telegraph articles about how it was a rip off, ohhh Everton / Liverpool are doing a special offer so compare it to 2 premier league teams.

People just aren't really that bothered but will join in with the annoyance because they can shout at CCFC because of it.
Yep. If we had Man U or Chelsea here again in the cup people would all be forgetting about Sisu and would pack the stadium.

The best way to get out of this division is in having the best squad in this division and the more bums on seats the better the squad should be.

pusbccfc

Will be interesting to see how many will pay on the day, somebody else in the thread has said they will and we will be just buying them on the way in as well.

Can see it maybe being 11,000 in total or around that. (depending how many from Stoke rock up on the day)

I wonder if the club are tempted to knock the £2 increase off and whether that would help.

Problem is they'd obviously have to do the same for the Stoke fans.

Ashdown

Yep. If we had Man U or Chelsea here again in the cup people would all be forgetting about Sisu and would pack the stadium.

The best way to get out of this division is in having the best squad in this division and the more bums on seats the better the squad should be.
How can you forget a hedge fund that many wouldn't trust to re invest the money even if they filled the stadium at top dollar prices every week.............It's about trust Otis, the last 5 years or more have shown they can't be trusted to do almost anything they say. They are money/legal people, they want return from an investment, nothing else !

Nick

Administrator
How can you forget a hedge fund that many wouldn't trust to re invest the money even if they filled the stadium at top dollar prices every week.............It's about trust Otis, the last 5 years or more have shown they can't be trusted to do almost anything they say. They are money/legal people, they want return from an investment, nothing else !

Again, that happens when you listen to people like PSB Group day in, day out. Lets kill off SISU by not giving CCFC a penny constantly drummed in and then going off about ticket prices when they weren't going to go anyway. Push boycotts to starve "SISU" but then if a player needs to be sold to balance the books then go off on one then.

Otis

I agree there is no trust, but I think we can hardly blame them at the moment for on the pitch stuff. Didn't sell all the predicted players last Jan and we do have a competitive squad this.

With attendances down this season though we do have to get rid of players. If we sell some of our best players Sisu will get it in the neck again, but if we don't generate the revenue from ticket sales how are we supposed to keep our best players, or bring in new players of equal standing for those we have lost?

We do well, the crowds follow and THEN Sisu don't invest in the squad, THAT is the time to get on at them.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm trying my best to see it from your side, but I just can't very easily I'm afraid. Even if I agree with some of your points.

I know people aren't arsed, and I know SISU are a factor, as is opposition like Forest Green, but this game is against Stoke.

There would have been an upsurge in ticket sales had the tickets been cheaper. They had an opportunity and they spunked it.

Nick

Administrator
I'm trying my best to see it from your side, but I just can't very easily I'm afraid. Even if I agree with some of your points.

I know people aren't arsed, and I know SISU are a factor, as is opposition like Forest Green, but this game is against Stoke.

There would have been an upsurge in ticket sales had the tickets been cheaper. They had an opportunity and they spunked it.

Yes, this game is against Stoke who are in the Premier League. Why would fans come back the next game against Swindon in League 2 if they won't go to Stoke because they are outraged about the ticket price that's the same as the league pricing?

What you are saying is for people to want to go and support ccfc they need to have discounted tickets and to play teams like Stoke? The way it happened was that people seemed to think / expect there was going to be cheap tickets for it, nothing ever came from the club to say there was and it got hyped up. Then when they were just the league price everybody was shocked and angry that they weren't being given a ticket for cheap to go and watch Stoke.

People keep saying they had an opportunity, people seem to have some sort of expectancy that they should be given a discount before they should go. People have whipped it up about how overpriced it is, its greedy etc but its the same as league games? People paid more to go and watch us play Luton and Barnet and will pay the same to watch us play Exeter.

I could understand if CCFC had whacked the prices up or were massively more than everybody else but they aren't are they? Just don't get all of the "it was a missed opportunity" stuff.

I can even understand people just being straight up and saying "Im going to go and watch cov rugby instead, its more fun". They aren't making out it's the price stopping them and they are sat at home with their £15 in their hand ready to go, just being straight about it.

Otis

Yes, this game is against Stoke who are in the Premier League. Why would fans come back the next game against Swindon in League 2 if they won't go to Stoke because they are outraged about the ticket price that's the same as the league pricing?

What you are saying is for people to want to go and support ccfc they need to have discounted tickets and to play teams like Stoke? The way it happened was that people seemed to think / expect there was going to be cheap tickets for it, nothing ever came from the club to say there was and it got hyped up. Then when they were just the league price everybody was shocked and angry that they weren't being given a ticket for cheap to go and watch Stoke.

People keep saying they had an opportunity, people seem to have some sort of expectancy that they should be given a discount before they should go. People have whipped it up about how overpriced it is, its greedy etc but its the same as league games? People paid more to go and watch us play Luton and Barnet and will pay the same to watch us play Exeter.

I could understand if CCFC had whacked the prices up or were massively more than everybody else but they aren't are they? Just don't get all of the "it was a missed opportunity" stuff.
I can understand that is a one off, so get that side of the argument, but surely Stoke should be full price and the next league game discounted shouldn't it if we want to use that argument of cheaper tickets?

Otis

If it were down to me I would be looking to do special offers now for every home game (kids, bulk buys etc)

Ashdown

I can understand that is a one off, so get that side of the argument, but surely Stoke should be full price and the next league game discounted shouldn't it if we want to use that argument of cheaper tickets?
Or pay £30 and you get a Stoke and Swindon ticket ? Surely some form of marketing applied................... but no, they don't reach out to the fans and that's why the catchment area shuns them, apart from a few sad stalwarts like you mate, sitting high up in the stand, blowing in the wind !! { I reckon you prefer it that way, being able to stretch out and fart to your hearts content without a soul in spitting distance !? }

ccfcricoh

People just using the £££ to have a whinge or as an excuse not to go when they wouldn't go if it was a £15 anyway!

Boring...

Same price as a league game - if anything surely the club could charge more!?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can even understand people just being straight up and saying "Im going to go and watch cov rugby instead, its more fun". They aren't making out it's the price stopping them and they are sat at home with their £15 in their hand ready to go, just being straight about it.

What you are saying is for people to want to go and support ccfc they need to have discounted tickets and to play teams like Stoke?
Yes, look around you. People are not interested any more and will not come back until there is either some significant success, or the hassle of going is worth a minimal cost.

I could understand if CCFC had whacked the prices up or were massively more than everybody else but they aren't are they? They did whack the prices up, straight after we got relegated.

Just don't get all of the "it was a missed opportunity" stuff. Because when you are there on Saturday there will be a half empty (or more most likely) stadium. There could have been a really good crowd if they had enticed the fans.

Look, I know you're happy to pay the money, and you wonder why others are not. You see things through the same eyes as the owners in my opinion, and I think most other people see things through the eyes of being long suffering fans. That majority are the same majority who would be filling those empty seats. I'm not calling you a 'SISU lover', but I think you do find it hard to relate to a large amount of the unhappy fanbase.

I know there are some excuses, but there are also a large amount of genuine supporters who won't (and haven't) been prepared to part with their hard earned cash without a little encouragement. That's not going to change whilst the club maintains the same viewpoint that you and they both have.

Londonccfcfan

According to Clive last night the Club forecast is for 14K.
So if any number crunchers wish, it may offer the oportunity to evaluate the logic around pricing, which I'm sure will be based on maximising income over anything else.

Wow, these tickets are selling well. Selling almost a thousand a day. 3 days to go, won’t be far off their forecast of 14k.

10 k Coventry, 4 k Stoke.

Users who are viewing this thread