Match Thread Coventry City at Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 7th Apr (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

Few things

Wrong starting 11 , Reid should have played out right side , Shipley left with bayliss and Doyle central .
Biamou should be used as he has been being used as it’s how we are getting the best from him , WHENEVER he starts we just play long ball guff .
The substitutions today were woeful and highlights robins inability to properly change a game , if he hasn’t learnt lessons after 41 games will he EVER Learn them .

Again we sat too deep at times , against a really average side (who made us look below average ) we lacked pace and imagination .

Burge needs replacing next season irrespective of division , new left back needed , a central midfielder and another wide man and forward.

I keep banging on and on about the things that he’s doing wrong , yet he should be able to see it himself , it’s his fucking job

Otis

Autos are out of reach, our saving grace has been the poor form of our rivals. It’s games like this where it’s abundantly clear we miss the likes of Jodi Jones in our team. Unfortunately, we’ve just not been able to replace him — the kind of player that tipped the balance between us and the likes of Luton, Notts County and Exeter in our favour.

Regardless of our league position, I think we need to invest in at least one new winger — we just don’t have a viable option on that right hand side whatsoever!

Let’s try to finish strong now for the playoffs!

PUSB!
Well, seems like we were hoping Baker might have been fit by now.

Evo1883

If we fail to get promoted , I’m hoping the owners may just say that’s it and accept offers .

Probably won’t though

Londonccfcfan

Few things

Wrong starting 11 , Reid should have played out right side , Shipley left with bayliss and Doyle central .
Biamou should be used as he has been being used as it’s how we are getting the best from him , WHENEVER he starts we just play long ball guff .
The substitutions today were woeful and highlights robins inability to properly change a game , if he hasn’t learnt lessons after 41 games will he EVER Learn them .

Again we sat too deep at times , against a really average side (who made us look below average ) we lacked pace and imagination .

Burge needs replacing next season irrespective of division , new left back needed , a central midfielder and another wide man and forward.

I keep banging on and on about the things that he’s doing wrong , yet he should be able to see it himself , it’s his fucking job

Diasagree, no way can we play Reid, in a game where all they do is hoof it. Shipley was very useful in the air. We would have got battered. Just watch Reid last 5/10 mins vs Yeovil. He offers nothing defensively.

I’m 50/50 on the Kelly/Doyle or Bayliss central.

It’s horses for courses. And I think the set up worked ok. And if we had won, with a bit luck. It wouldn’t have been an issue.

It was important Kelly and Doyle won the second balls. Like i say horses for courses.

SlowerThanPlatt

Grimmer’s man with the free header for first goal. He’s the best we have in that position but I haven’t been convinced all season and as others have said if he was here last season he’d be getting far more criticism. I’d be looking for new right back, goalkeeper and left back in the summer

Evo1883

Diasagree, no way can we play Reid, in a game where all they do is hoof it. Shipley was very useful in the air. We would have got battered. Just watch Reid last 5/10 mins vs Yeovil. He offers nothing defensively.

I’m 50/50 on the Kelly/Doyle or Bayliss central.

It’s horses for courses. And I think the set up worked ok. And if we had won, with a bit luck. It wouldn’t have been an issue.

It was important Kelly and Doyle won the second balls. Like i say horses for courses.

They didn’t win the second balls , and we should be playing football , on the deck and attacking fast in 3s and 4s .
Not matching long ball guff

Evo1883

Grimmer’s man with the free header for first goal. He’s the best we have in that position but I haven’t been convinced all season and as others have said if he was here last season he’d be getting far more criticism. I’d be looking for new right back, goalkeeper and left back in the summer

Rate grimmer highly at this level , not sure I agree at all about this evaluation of his season

Londonccfcfan

TBF it was a very good header. The kind we would never ever score in a million years.

thought Grimmer had a superb game though overall. Some of his crosses were top class but as usual no one at the end of it.

There was that cross first half , just begged to be attacked,( think it was Biamou) any touch and it’s in the back of the net. One of many superb crosses.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
We have a decent team, but we have known we have a sub-standard goal-keeper for two seasons. That has cost us massively.

He makes mistakes he doesn't inspire confidence certainly among many of the fans. However the league 2 managers seem to rate him. As they have all seen him that isn't based solely on the back four in front of him

Personally I would have favoured an older more experienced keeper especially with a brand new team and the number of young players but I suspect the budget for what we really need just wasn't there.

But it hasn't been the only problem. Generally the full backs have been hit and miss, we need more than one creative option wide and centrally. We needed a leader for seasons we found one but now now need to plan a replacement.

If we miss promotion it will not be because of one player , burge or otherwise. They have all had good moments but they have all been crap at other times and cost us . Our biggest problem this season has been consistency be it in individuals, matches or for the season itself

We are an upper half league 2 team in a division that is dire most of the time. I think the level of being decent isn't actually that high.

Sooner we get out of this division the better and we can still do that

Terry Gibson's perm

A lot of problems come down our right hand side, Burge can moan he was blocked off for the first but he was never going to save it but a man on the post would have but where would we find one in the nine or ten we have back.

The second one Kelly was weak but that’s no surprise as he has been all season

ccfcway

Why the fuck does the shit about SISU come up every time we lose a game.

Ffs enjoy the game enjoy the rest of the season. We are still in play offs.

Agreed. We lose, SISU comes up, we don't lose, they don't.

That's said, I think they have got off very lightly this season. The lowest league I have ever seen us in and protests have been few and far between

As this sites mod says "a complete culture change is needed at the whole club."

Londonccfcfan

Agreed. We lose, SISU comes up, we don't lose, they don't.

That's said, I think they have got off very lightly this season. The lowest league I have ever seen us in and protests have been few and far between

As this sites mod says "a complete culture change is needed at the whole club."

Protests don’t work. We have no power. Protests did more damage than good last year I’m afraid.

Enjoy what you can while you can.

Terry Gibson's perm

He makes mistakes he doesn't inspire confidence certainly among many of the fans. However the league 2 managers seem to rate him. As they have all seen him that isn't based solely on the back four in front of him

Personally I would have favoured an older more experienced keeper especially with a brand new team and the number of young players but I suspect the budget for what we really need just wasn't there.

But it hasn't been the only problem. Generally the full backs have been hit and miss, we need more than one creative option wide and centrally. We needed a leader for seasons we found one but now now need to plan a replacement.

If we miss promotion it will not be because of one player , burge or otherwise. They have all had good moments but they have all been crap at other times and cost us . Our biggest problem this season has been consistency be it in individuals, matches or for the season itself

We are an upper half league 2 team in a division that is dire most of the time. I think the level of being decent isn't actually that high.

Sooner we get out of this division the better and we can still do that

I don’t think it matters on the experience bit more ability and Burge doesn’t have it we have put up with him for way to long and need to get rid in the summer along with Beavon, Vincenti and a few others.

Him getting in the team of the year means nothing I guess a lot of the managers in this league that votes have only seen him once due to the manager turnaround

mark82

Constructive.

I'm sorry, but if I failed my objectives at work there would be consequences. If Robins does it should be the same.

I just don't think he's the right man long term. I know everyone loves him and you can't criticise him without people making dickish comments like yours. I like him as a person, and I want him to do well but, after turning things around, he's gone back to making the same mistakes again and its cost us today.

We all know the budget will be reduced next year so we should get used to this division if we don't go up. I suspect we'll lose many of our better players such as Willis, Jones & Bayliss (granted we've been without Jones for some time). Replacements will be on a budget, hopefully the scouting is now in place but based on January I'm not convinced.

He still has time to turn us around and get us up through the playoffs. I suspect he will be better in league one than he has this year. He seems to be under the impression we should match the long ball tactics of other teams in this league despite not having the players.

If we make the playoffs maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and let him have the summer but would need to make a good start.

Appreciate I overreact but I don't think anyone can argue we haven't underachieved up until this point.

Which of the team's above have a better squad of players? Luton probably have, but that's it. They have been better managed and played to their teams strengths. We haven't played to our own strengths.

SlowerThanPlatt

Rate grimmer highly at this level , not sure I agree at all about this evaluation of his season

I haven’t been that impressed. A lot of the goals we conceed come down his area of the pitch.

From memory in recent games he gave the free kick away against Luton and then allowed the cross into the box for Collins equaliser, the Yeovil game, Newport goal down his side and then today. He doesn’t get close enough to his winger. I think he’s okay for L2 like Burge but that’s about it

ccfcway

I'm sorry, but if I failed my objectives at work there would be consequences. If Robins does it should be the same.

I just don't think he's the right man long term. .

who is ?. Where is this long term manager we crave, as we have gone through 15 in 18 years trying to find him.

Londonccfcfan

I haven’t been that impressed. A lot of the goals we conceed come down his area of the pitch.

From memory in recent games he gave the free kick away against Luton and then allowed the cross into the box for Collins equaliser, the Yeovil game, Newport goal down his side and then today. He doesn’t get close enough to his winger. I think he’s okay for L2 like Burge but that’s about it
He won a lot of headers from dangerous crosses today. He missed one today. Like I say top top header from their man.

Sick Boy

I don't think we played well at all today and the first half was pretty dreadful overall. They are dirty bastards though and remind me of Sheff Utd. I'd question the attitude of some of the players and changes are going on be needed next season if we are to get out of this league.

We are woeful from set pieces and generally seem to lack ideas. Today was very disappointing for me.

Adge

Well again (despite my rallying cry) we fall flat on our faces and can’t deliver in the big matches when it counts. Defensive frailties on show again. People were pointing the finger again at Burge but he didn’t help himself with his antics after the first goal had gone in-I feel he was using it as a get out of jail card. But Grimmer needed to do better with the header. Kelly should have launched the second into the stand, but apart from that I thought Kelly was one of our better players today.

ccfcway

I don't think we played well at all today and the first half was pretty dreadful overall. They are dirty bastards though and remind me of Sheff Utd. I'd question the attitude of some of the players and changes are going on be needed next season if we are to get out of this league.

We are woeful from set pieces and generally seem to lack ideas. Today was very disappointing for me.

changes are needed either way. We need a new GK, left back and right winger as a minimum.

That said, its considerably less than years gone by when a whole new team is needed !

Adge

Indeed. How many corners/free kicks did we have today and time and time again, usually from Shipley, they come to nothing. County had 3-4 corners? And score from 1 of them.

SlowerThanPlatt

Well again (despite my rallying cry) we fall flat on our faces and can’t deliver in the big matches when it counts. Defensive frailties on show again. People were pointing the finger again at Burge but he didn’t help himself with his antics after the first goal had gone in-I feel he was using it as a get out of jail card. But Grimmer needed to do better with the header. Kelly should have launched the second into the stand, but apart from that I thought Kelly was one of our better players today.

What’s the law on that? It looks like obstruction but with how crowded the box is and how much players have hold of eachother at set pieces you can kind of understand why the referee didn’t give it

Adge

Not looking to say he was to blame (but he didn’t help), but what were your thoughts on the man in the middle today Adge? One of the worst this season for me
Middle of the road really-not great but not disastrous. I seen you on about the Bayliss one earlier. Definitely a mandatory caution in that scenario as Bayliss denied what was going to be a promising attack.

Users who are viewing this thread