Match Thread Coventry City at Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 7th Apr (1 Viewer)

Lord_Nampil

Last 10 games or so he has been really poor. I keep saying it but people don't generally listen.

I think that's because we've had more players in the team playing like clowns.

Grimmer's been poor since Willis has been out the team, also without willis fit he doesn't really have any competition for his place on the team as DKE isn't and hasn't been any where near it!

Lord_Nampil

First goal was a foul on Burge if he was allowed to dive, which he wasn't im pretty sure he would have got that comfortably, the second Grimmer and Kelly just don't deal with it boot it into the stands just dont try and pass your way out of it! it also looks more of an own goal as i think it comes off our lad last. Jordon's goal was great just a shame it didn't mean anything in the end.... We need to think how best to play now in the remaining 5 games, but we could do with Willis being fit for next week if possible!

mark82

changes are needed either way. We need a new GK, left back and right winger as a minimum.

That said, its considerably less than years gone by when a whole new team is needed !

Agree with the above. I'd probably add a central midfielder to replace Bayliss (although maybe Andreu could be that man). I'm torn on left winger, we've missed Jones massively - and I'm not sure he'll still be here - but Shipley has done ok and I'd keep Reid if he is willing to stay.

Irish Sky Blue

First goal was a foul on Burge if he was allowed to dive, which he wasn't im pretty sure he would have got that comfortably, the second Grimmer and Kelly just don't deal with it boot it into the stands just dont try and pass your way out of it! it also looks more of an own goal as i think it comes off our lad last. Jordon's goal was great just a shame it didn't mean anything in the end.... We need to think how best to play now in the remaining 5 games, but we could do with Willis being fit for next week if possible!
I didn’t know what Burge was complaining about at the time, but having just watched it back he is being blatantly obstructed, guy is pinning him to the line. Should have been a free kick. I did notice later in the game that he was impeded deliberately by the same player. In this case unusually, the referee was not giving the keeper enough protection.

Lord_Nampil

I didn’t know what Burge was complaining about at the time, but having just watched it back he is being blatantly obstructed, guy is pinning him to the line. Should have been a free kick. I did notice later in the game that he was impeded deliberately by the same player. In this case unusually, the referee was not giving the keeper enough protection.
Imagine if Burge had pushed him out the way to try and save it... he would have been down as if he had been shot and won a pen, plus I’m guessing Burge gets sent off it’s a win win for them if the ref doesn’t see it.... this is why VAR is needed as that wouldn’t have been allowed!

Grendel

Imagine if Burge had pushed him out the way to try and save it... he would have been down as if he had been shot and won a pen, plus I’m guessing Burge gets sent off it’s a win win for them if the ref doesn’t see it.... this is why VAR is needed as that wouldn’t have been allowed!

Is standing on the line an actual foul or not? I’m not sure. If he’d pushed him I don’t think a penalty would have been even considered.

SlowerThanPlatt

What happened to Clarke-Harris after we scored? He ran over to the fans like the others, fans on the pitch throwing smoke bombs and celebrating the goal then he just collapsed on the floor in agony and didn’t get up for a while. Did he get struck?

Nick

Administrator
As I seen it there was no foul-just a player standing his ground. Was the keeper impeded by this? Not for me and that's most likely the view off the official too.
Of.course the keeper was impeded

Nick

Administrator
Is standing on the line an actual foul or not? I’m not sure. If he’d pushed him I don’t think a penalty would have been even considered.
He wasn't just stood on the line, he was wrestling burge to stop him from getting it

Londonccfcfan

Omg shock horror keeper impeded from set piece. If he's not to that by now after a whole season. Time to hang up your boots.

Nick

Administrator
I'm the first to slate Burge, but when a player is actively backing in and moving to keep Burge away what is he meant to do?

The biggest issue is why nobody on that post?

Otis

I'm the first to slate Burge, but when a player is actively backing in and moving to keep Burge away what is he meant to do?

The biggest issue is why nobody on that post?
Push the bleeder out of the way.

Keepers are always barging past players to get to the ball.

Nick

Administrator
Or the ref or lino could spot the clear foul and give it or we could put somebody on both posts so they could have just hammered it away to safety :)

Otis

Or the ref or lino could spot the clear foul and give it or we could put somebody on both posts so they could have just hammered it away to safety :)
How many times do we put players on the posts?

Irish Sky Blue

Push the bleeder out of the way.

Keepers are always barging past players to get to the ball.
I know before the ball came over that there was a Coventry defender keeping the Notts player away from Burge.As the kick was taken the Notts player wheels around. I watched the ball after that and didn’t see in the actual game what he did next. However, on the highlights it is clear that his intention is to completely block off (obstruct) Burge’s movement towards the ball, he is backing into him and reaching back with his hands. Burge complained that his shirt was being held when he was booked and although it is difficult to see if this is so on the replay, he had to virtually throw the guy into the net to get him off after the goal went in. Surely a case of obstruction. His sole purpose at the corner was to block Burge. He did it again later in the game.

Otis

I know before the ball came over that there was a Coventry defender keeping the Notts player away from Burge.As the kick was taken the Notts player wheels around. I watched the ball after that and didn’t see in the actual game what he did next. However, on the highlights it is clear that his intention is to completely block off (obstruct) Burge’s movement towards the ball, he is backing into him and reaching back with his hands. Burge complained that his shirt was being held when he was booked and although it is difficult to see if this is so on the replay, he had to virtually throw the guy into the net to get him off after the goal went in. Surely a case of obstruction. His sole purpose at the corner was to block Burge. He did it again later in the game.
Something the officials should clearly be looking at.

Esoterica

What happened to Clarke-Harris after we scored? He ran over to the fans like the others, fans on the pitch throwing smoke bombs and celebrating the goal then he just collapsed on the floor in agony and didn’t get up for a while. Did he get struck?
Some fat lad in a retro talbot shirt jumped on his back and knocked him forward into another fan who looked like he stood on his foot!

Tommo72

Anyone know what happened, he went down again like he’d been shot? I can’t see anything on the vid clips.

Mr Panda

Having taken a day to reflect on the game it's so frustrating we didn't get anything from that. I said to the lad I was with on Saturday that it was there for the taking if we just took a little extra care on the ball around the final third. Notts County looked very average on the day and were happy to sit back. Bayliss is a huge miss in the middle if he's not there as he will break forward and draw people out of position and create those gaps for others. It's a shame we don't have any players with a decent ability to make that RM role their own as it's very much available. I think even if you put Reid there and move Bayliss back into the centre you've probably got a better chance offensively.

The players for me need to be a little smarter and protest the Burge incident collectively, I don't think any of them did anything to call the referee out on it and it was clear for all to see. For all we know the referee probably saw it and let it slide simply because no one on the pitch seemed to notice.

lifeskyblue

Two defensive lapses and no real punch up front. I thought Reid should have been used 2nd half and Baylis moved to centre. Our game management after we equalised was awful...not for the first time this season.
Did anyone else get the impression Shipley pulled out of a few 50/50s?
I am concerned that a season long tight defence is starting to show frailties. Still we play too deep and fail to support the front players.
Notts were a bang average side and so were we; to think both teams will probably be in the playoffs says a lot about the lack of quality in this division. We have no one to fear in the playoffs but equally no one will fear us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Having taken a day to reflect on the game it's so frustrating we didn't get anything from that. I said to the lad I was with on Saturday that it was there for the taking if we just took a little extra care on the ball around the final third. Notts County looked very average on the day and were happy to sit back. Bayliss is a huge miss in the middle if he's not there as he will break forward and draw people out of position and create those gaps for others. It's a shame we don't have any players with a decent ability to make that RM role their own as it's very much available. I think even if you put Reid there and move Bayliss back into the centre you've probably got a better chance offensively.

The players for me need to be a little smarter and protest the Burge incident collectively, I don't think any of them did anything to call the referee out on it and it was clear for all to see. For all we know the referee probably saw it and let it slide simply because no one on the pitch seemed to notice.

It’s Sunday League, if they stick a man on your keeper you stick a man on him to stop him blocking and obstructing the keeper. You shouldn’t need a manager or coach to tell you, it’s common sense and expected from Under 12s upwards.
We shouldn’t of had to appeal it because it shouldn’t of happened anyway, one our bright spark defenders should have clocked it.

Esoterica

It’s Sunday League, if they stick a man on your keeper you stick a man on him to stop him blocking and obstructing the keeper. You shouldn’t need a manager or coach to tell you, it’s common sense and expected from Under 12s upwards.
We shouldn’t of had to appeal it because it shouldn’t of happened anyway, one our bright spark defenders should have clocked it.
And if it is happening anyway you scream so loud the ref can't ignore you or you drop to the floor like he's stood on your foot/ pushed you to draw the ref's attention to it so that he's looking for it when the corner does come in. Just really naive.

Nick

Administrator
The ref on Saturday was the worst I had seen all season, some of the decisions he made were very strange.

The fact their 18 was on a booking and still managed to take Kelly out after the ball had gone and blatantly kick the ball way as hard as he could to time waste was shocking. What were the linos doing?

lifeskyblue

The ref on Saturday was the worst I had seen all season, some of the decisions he made were very strange.

The fact their 18 was on a booking and still managed to take Kelly out after the ball had gone and blatantly kick the ball way as hard as he could to time waste was shocking. What were the linos doing?

Officials certainly seem to let a lot go at our level of football; poor tackles, time wasting, shirt pulling etc etc. I’m amazed by how often defenders climb all over forwards and nothing given. The only positive thing I can say is that the refs have been consistently inconsistent. to be fair in most games refs have left both sets of players/fans wondering about many decisions.

Londonccfcfan

Referees are not just cheats, they are Just plain incompetent. The referee on Saturday just completely lost the plot midway through 2nd half. But some of the play acting by some of the players doesn't help. By both sides. Players just don't know where they stand as there is just no consistency.

lifeskyblue

Referees are not just cheats, they are Just plain incompetent. The referee on Saturday just completely lost the plot midway through 2nd half. But some of the play acting by some of the players doesn't help. By both sides. Players just don't know where they stand as there is just no consistency.

Yes he did lose it Saturday. I turned to the person behind me in second half and said that players from both sides could be off as the ref had lost control.
I agree I don’t believe any ref we have seen this season has been a cheat but I do wonder about their training, feedback, instruction from the fa and most of all their fitness.

Nick

Administrator
It's down to bottle, the linos half the time wait for the ref to give a decision before they put the flag up.

We have seen refs bottle it from big decisions too many times.

Users who are viewing this thread