Match Thread Coventry City at Notts County Match Thread - Saturday 7th Apr (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Now they are wired I’m sure Lino’s talk to ref then raise the flag...gives fans impression of the reacting late or not at all...at least I hope that is what is happening.

I may be a bit rusty on the offside rule but on Saturday (first half) the Lino raised his flag v late and the offside finally given about where burge fielded ball (about 30yds out). However the player was offside fairly close to half way. I understand it is now about making an attempt to get the ball etc but surely this was from the moment he started moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

Two things that really annoy me with regard to referees this season. The first is throw ins that are taken some times ten yards further up the pitch than the referee has indicated. This is particularly true if the ball has gone out near the corner flag. The resultant throw often leaves the players hands often in line with the edge of the penalty area. I think if a player takes the throw from the wrong spot it should be treated as a foul throw and given to the other team.
The other thing is blatant timewasting. Some teams (Yeovil for instance) actually start this in the first half. I am not bothered about the referee telling them to get a move on or even booking them Just stop the watch and add the time on. Surely teams would then get the message. I am sure we are as guilty of these things as other teams, however I notice it more from teams we play, possibly because we have been one goal behind so often this season and have been chasing the game. It frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Esoterica

The ref on Saturday was the worst I had seen all season, some of the decisions he made were very strange.

The fact their 18 was on a booking and still managed to take Kelly out after the ball had gone and blatantly kick the ball way as hard as he could to time waste was shocking. What were the linos doing?
There was the one in the 2nd half too right before we scored where one of their players stood in front of Doyle and blocked a quick free kick and all that happened was a re-take (which we scored from!). I thought that was a nailed on yellow.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

And if it is happening anyway you scream so loud the ref can't ignore you or you drop to the floor like he's stood on your foot/ pushed you to draw the ref's attention to it so that he's looking for it when the corner does come in. Just really naive.

Well said, all of this is basic, it’s on show every Sunday morning in a park near you. I’d expect a professional footballer of any age to know this – it shouldn’t take a manager to tell you to get their man off the keeper or you can’t be offside from a throw in etc!!! Burge should of been screaming for someone to come and get rid of the twat.

I don’t buy the argument either on CWR that you need to be a big 6 foot 2 unit to battle for the ball. Anyone of any build should be able to make it difficult for an opponent, hurrying them on the ball and putting them under pressure and leaving a foot in every so often. Every player on the Notts County team was prepared to do it. Agreed the ref lost control of the game but we have to adapt to different situations, they bullied us at times.

Nick

Administrator
There was the one in the 2nd half too right before we scored where one of their players stood in front of Doyle and blocked a quick free kick and all that happened was a re-take (which we scored from!). I thought that was a nailed on yellow.

Yeah it should be, it was right in front of the ref as well.

No real consistency at all with refs, when he ran off the pitch after the ball and hammered it down towards the corner flag (after his final warning for another bad tackle) he should have been sent off. Far too many refs in this league love a chat with the players, slow the game down for a bit of a talk and do nothing.

I've seen goalies take 25 seconds to take a goal kick, doesn't seem like long when you say that but it all adds up. Players who stand and watch the ball go past them on purpose when they are thrown it by the ball boy should also be booked.

Otis

Another example:

Awful. He even looks directly at the keeper, so it is premeditated and he knew exactly what he was doing.

I saw on the Beeb live text yesterday there were lots of calls for him to be sent off.

Any retrospective action to be taken once someone has had a look at the footage you think?

Another example:

This and the blatant handball by the Lincoln defender should have been picked up by the officials. Why no VAR available for a cup final at Wembley?
Noted when the incidents were raised with the Lincoln manager, the response was a mere smirk.

Grendel

Awful. He even looks directly at the keeper, so it is premeditated and he knew exactly what he was doing.

I saw on the Beeb live text yesterday there were lots of calls for him to be sent off.

Any retrospective action to be taken once someone has had a look at the footage you think?

No I don’t think so as the referee saw it and booked him

Grendel

He led with his elbow so a straight red in the rule book.

My point is if the referee saw it I thought that his decision is then final. Its only if he hasn’t then the FA can follow up on it

Nick

Administrator
Yeah if he has booked him for it then they cant do anything, if he did nothing the FA can do something.

Esoterica

Yeah if he has booked him for it then they cant do anything, if he did nothing the FA can do something.
Which is just another bullshit FA rule because if the ref has really seen the elbow then he'd be getting a straight red. The fact he's given a yellow for it clearly shows he's missed it and thinks he's just jumped into him so it should be reviewed. Just the FA cost saving I guess by not having to review hundreds of yellows each week.

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah it should be, it was right in front of the ref as well.

No real consistency at all with refs, when he ran off the pitch after the ball and hammered it down towards the corner flag (after his final warning for another bad tackle) he should have been sent off. Far too many refs in this league love a chat with the players, slow the game down for a bit of a talk and do nothing.

I've seen goalies take 25 seconds to take a goal kick, doesn't seem like long when you say that but it all adds up. Players who stand and watch the ball go past them on purpose when they are thrown it by the ball boy should also be booked.

In terms of gamesmanship just about the worst I've seen this season was Crawley so I fear the worst on Saturday. They were wasting time right from the kick off, with the goalie having to find the right blade of grass to place the ball on for every goal kick, every throw in involving the ball passed between 3 different players before being taken, and players constantly going down with fake injuries to break the flow of the game. Worst of all though was their physio who was an old boy who took an eternity to get to the 'injured' players who inevitably seemed to always get 'injured' on the opposite side of the pitch from the dugouts.

itsabuzzard

Either Rod's true to his nickname and he's got concrete nuts or the elbow didn't actually catch him in the nads. Still a ridiculous shot and a straight red.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Otis

In terms of gamesmanship just about the worst I've seen this season was Crawley so I fear the worst on Saturday. They were wasting time right from the kick off, with the goalie having to find the right blade of grass to place the ball on for every goal kick, every throw in involving the ball passed between 3 different players before being taken, and players constantly going down with fake injuries to break the flow of the game. Worst of all though was their physio who was an old boy who took an eternity to get to the 'injured' players who inevitably seemed to always get 'injured' on the opposite side of the pitch from the dugouts.
Crawley's tactics here almost made me want to pack in watching football altogether.

Mind-numbingly deadful.

Hoping they will be much more enterprising at home.

Amcoventry

I'll post the video up of McDonald being elbowed in the balls tomorrow, that's even worse than Rhead's.
To be fair it didn't seem to hurt at all. Another example of the team playing with no balls!

Users who are viewing this thread