Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

David O'Day

I can't get my head around it tbh.....the massive over-reaction by governments, authorities & the fueling of hysteria by the media has me well puzzled.....
....Initially I thought the Chinese govt. were downplaying the numbers involved & trying to hide the severity of it, but now its gone global, there is clearly no way its a cover-up & although it has a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu, the symptoms for most folk appear milder than seasonal flu.

Imagine the UK trying to "lock down" a city.....ha ha....no fucking chance....theres not enough police to answer 999 calls, let alone trying to enforce a curfew.
Finally, I think I'd rather risk arrest than stay holed up in that tenerife hotel.....fuck that.
It's mortality rate is likely to be lower than reported, the mildbness if the virus will likely reduced people seeking healthcare which depresses the number of reported cases

jimmyhillsfanclub

It's mortality rate is likely to be lower than reported, the mildbness if the virus will likely reduced people seeking healthcare which depresses the number of reported cases

Yep...agree with that tbh. That English fella on the cruise ship who kept being interviewed on the news tested positive yet had no symptoms....

David O'Day

Yep...agree with that tbh. That English fella on the cruise ship who kept being interviewed on the news tested positive yet had no symptoms....
Which could be the reason for cases like the lady in California who has it but has no links to any known outbreak

OffenhamSkyBlue

This table is taken from PHE's annual influenza report for the latest whole-year figures from 2018/19 (which was VERY light for flu deaths), but just LOOK at these figures for the official number of deaths associated with influenza for ENGLAND only, for each of the past 5 years. We should stop fucking panicking about Corona!

upload_2020-2-28_15-26-35.png

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I see the White House is using the virus as another means to have a go at the media. I think it is being sensationalised a bit but it is important.

They want people to ignore the media. Why? Because it's scaremongering and nothing to worry about? No. To 'calm the markets'. Ah yes, who cares about people's health and lives when the stock markets might take a hit. Priorities people!

Grendel

I see the White House is using the virus as another means to have a go at the media. I think it is being sensationalised a bit but it is important.

They want people to ignore the media. Why? Because it's scaremongering and nothing to worry about? No. To 'calm the markets'. Ah yes, who cares about people's health and lives when the stock markets might take a hit. Priorities people!

Well I don’t think 65,000 people died in the uk with swine flu so it’s correct this is scare mongering gone mad - it’s a sensible approach

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well I don’t think 65,000 people died in the uk with swine flu so it’s correct this is scare mongering gone mad - it’s a sensible approach

The point was they didn't say to ignore because it was scaremongering, they said ignore it to 'calm the markets' (although how exactly the general pubic ignoring it will do so I don't know - perhaps the people they should tell to ignore it are the traders)

Grendel

The point was they didn't say to ignore because it was scaremongering, they said ignore it to 'calm the markets' (although how exactly the general pubic ignoring it will do so I don't know - perhaps the people they should tell to ignore it are the traders)

Well it’s pretty dumb to not try and calm the markets isn’t it? A global recession caused by the flu should be talked down surely

wingy

It's pretty spectacular isn't it.
Some of it profit taking .
Yet everyone knows they'll bounce back !

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well it’s pretty dumb to not try and calm the markets isn’t it? A global recession caused by the flu should be talked down surely

Then tell the actual markets to calm the fuck down then - only people who can cause this kind of movement are the traders doing their usual knee-jerk reaction.

BackRoomRummermill

You need to look at the whole picture here , take Carnival the worlds largest holiday company operating around 106 ships including P and O and Cunard , these cruises are not booked like knee jerk holiday in Spain next week , they are booked on the whole 12-18 months ahead thus meaning only short term cruises are cancelled and the price drop . However the futures order book is full , the price dropped from 40 to 23 it will climb back to 40 and eventually depending on oil price back to 55 , it’s simple maths and business . If you do a little research it pays off , and can make a few grand, let’s face it where else can you save any money at a decent interest rate . It’s already turned today .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You need to look at the whole picture here , take Carnival the worlds largest holiday company operating around 106 ships including P and O and Cunard , these cruises are not booked like knee jerk holiday in Spain next week , they are booked on the whole 12-18 months ahead thus meaning only short term cruises are cancelled and the price drop . However the futures order book is full , the price dropped from 40 to 23 it will climb back to 40 and eventually depending on oil price back to 55 , it’s simple maths and business . If you do a little research it pays off , and can make a few grand, let’s face it where else can you save any money at a decent interest rate . It’s already turned today .

That's the point. We all know it'll recover over time. So rather than just chill the fuck out and accept that is what happens long term (because it always does) there's knee jerk reactions and attempts for short term profiteering as you point out.

wingy

This table is taken from PHE's annual influenza report for the latest whole-year figures from 2018/19 (which was VERY light for flu deaths), but just LOOK at these figures for the official number of deaths associated with influenza for ENGLAND only, for each of the past 5 years. We should stop fucking panicking about Corona!

View attachment 14218
Is that an example of where the annual vaccination is more effective than others?

fellatio_Martinez

ER4q1BXX0AM5e2l

SkyBlueDom26

Based on data from 44,000 patients with this coronavirus, the WHO says:

• 81% develop mild symptoms
  • 14% develop severe symptoms
  • 5% become critically ill
  • Between 1% and 2% die from the disease

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Well Mr Hancock, how's best to avoid the great plague ?
"Simply wash your hands with soap whilst singing ring a ring a roses "

Marty

What happens if for example a host of countries close there ports for 3 months?

3 people were talking at work, 1 has just cancelled a cruise, and the other 2 were going to book a cruise but have now decided against it (for this summer). I think the risk of being quarantined aboard a cruise line plus an additional couple of weeks once you get home is seriously putting people off. They're someone I will be keeping a close eye on for the coming months. Shifted some money about today and have released a bit to do some investing with.

BackRoomRummermill

What happens if for example a host of countries close there ports for 3 months?

3 people were talking at work, 1 has just cancelled a cruise, and the other 2 were going to book a cruise but have now decided against it (for this summer). I think the risk of being quarantined aboard a cruise line plus an additional couple of weeks once you get home is seriously putting people off. They're someone I will be keeping a close eye on for the coming months. Shifted some money about today and have released a bit to do some investing with.

Insurance covers the near term , long term it will be unaffected , it also depends on the cruise line as to how your looked after , I imagine Thompson being the worst

Marty

Insurance covers the near term , long term it will be unaffected , it also depends on the cruise line as to how your looked after , I imagine Thompson being the worst

Just stuck 3k into Shell and dipped my toe into CCL 1.5k,

Still fancy picking up some BP. Likes of Ryan Air, Easy Jet are trading at about 25-30% down from a month ago, so could be worth something on that front?

What are your thoughts?

richnrg

Still fancy picking up some BP. Likes of Ryan Air, Easy Jet are trading at about 25-30% down from a month ago, so could be worth something on that front?

What are your thoughts?

sell: P&O Cruises
buy: Solitaire

D

Deleted member 4439

What are your thoughts?

Can see why it might be tempting but think there's further to go. Shares are still a good 30% above their most recent bottoms in 2016. Dow is down again, on the IR cut.

Users who are viewing this thread