Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Letting this rip through the population by having Coronavirus parties is, politely, a really, really bad idea. Even Trump can see that. :)

It’s about numbers and the fact that the virus kills healthy young people as well the old.

Let’s say you want to get herd immunity by exposing 50% of 50 million people (those numbers are on the low side of how this works, btw).

Even if only one tenth of one percent of those people died, that would be 25,000 dead. For the period over which those people and the far greater number of survivors who need urgent, intensive medical care are treated, the entire health system grinds to a halt.

Heart attack, stroke, cancer, car accident, baby or child with severe breathing difficulties at birth or later? Unlucky, they die too during this period, because there are considerably more than 25000 people trying to get into 5000 ICU beds and the whole focus is now on them.

That’s why it’s a disastrous idea and why no one is doing it.

Herd immunity can work for diseases that don’t kill people, or better, where there’s a vaccine, but for this it would be absolute, unbelievable carnage.

Look at what’s happening right now in our hospitals, and look again at Italy, Spain and New York. Scale that up by an order of magnitude and you can get the idea of where we would be in a few weeks without a lockdown.

When the health service has a chance of coping, and when you’ve got the testing resources in place to track, trace and isolate outbreaks is when you can ease up on this, but the real solution isn’t going to Coronavirus parties, I suspect.
Thanks for the rant, but can i refer you to the last line of my post, which said "I think that is maybe what they were originally suggesting with the herd immunity theory, but it seems now as though more people might be more at risk than they originally thought."
Implication being that it wouldn't work. Sorry if you thought i was suggesting otherwise.

duffer

Thanks for the rant, but can i refer you to the last line of my post, which said "I think that is maybe what they were originally suggesting with the herd immunity theory, but it seems now as though more people might be more at risk than they originally thought."
Implication being that it wouldn't work. Sorry if you thought i was suggesting otherwise.

If you think that was a rant, then you want to get your skin checked - it’s looking a little thin.

It was an explanation of why a Coronavirus party was a pretty bad idea. I put numbers in and everything to help, because not everybody gets it.

It’s important that people do get it though, otherwise people can get daft ideas about potential solutions, that even dafter people might do. Or they trivialise the impact of the disease itself, which is equally dangerous, imho.

You seem to be implying that because we don’t know the death rate that it might be much lower than initially thought. That’s possible, but even with a very low rate, say 0.1%, a disease this rapidly transmissible with no immunity leads to obviously hideous outcomes. Again, numbers. Sorry if you didn’t get that.

Sky_Blue_Daz

It would really annoy me to lose my hours excersise because a few idiots can't abide by the guidelines.
Yes I completely agree, it would annoy me too as I enjoy walking my dog for an hour . And it is a case of minority ruining it for the majority ,but with a lovely bank holiday on the way will these numbskulls adhere to government guidelines

David O'Day

It would really annoy me to lose my hours excersise because a few idiots can't abide by the guidelines.
Not going to happen anytime soon, it would have see parliament recalled to change the emergency powers act and they have already rowed back on that.

Nudge theory shows instead of threatening g people with sanction you are much more successful if you can bring them along with you.

Marty

Just had a call, I thought I was placed on furlough from when I was initially told not to come in, which isn't the case. I will now be placed on that scheme from the Tuesday after Easter for 1 month minimum. Looks like another 5 weeks off at least for me.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Been thinking about this whole Coronavirus situation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but.....

Aren't we just putting off the inevitable? The virus is still going to be there when we get out and go back to work and places all open up again for business.

I know it has already been said in terms of protecting the NHS so it doesn't get completely overwhelmed. I get all that, but isn't the 'stay safe' just a 'stay safe for now?'

Seems to me is a vaccine or bust and the vaccine is some way off yet.

It's all well and good talking about peaks, but isn't it all just going to spike again when the country gets back to 'normal.'

Could it be we are indeed going to get herd immunity, but just not by design. Just by the simple fact the country will grind completely to a halt if we are to just stay indoors endlessly.

A vaccine is the only hope isn't it? The virus isn't just going to go away and die if we stay indoors and practice social distancing for a fee weeks or months.

Of course the virus won't have magically disappeared and restrictions can be lifted and we carry on as normal. Restrictions will be partially lifted or eased for a bit, then re-tightened if and when necessary to make the number of cases a steady stream (hopefully over time reducing to a trickle) to give the health services a chance to cope and not endanger anyone else in need of urgent medical treatment at the same time.

I'm sure the hope is to have a vaccine, but it may also be hoped that those steady stream of people who recover growing in numbers provide a bit of herd immunity. But that would be 'if all else fails' as at the moment no-one can be sure about how it may mutate (although the antibodies against Covid19 may at least provide a starting point for the body to fight any mutation) but it would allow some lifting of restrictions and why anti-body tests will become increasingly important.

There would also be a fear that those who have had a severe case of the virus will have damage to their lungs or possibly other organs making them more likely to contract and die from other infections in the future. So we may well see an increased death rate for a few years as some people who had the virus succumb to something else they pick up later. Worst case would be another respiratory illness.

Otis

Of course the virus won't have magically disappeared and restrictions can be lifted and we carry on as normal. Restrictions will be partially lifted or eased for a bit, then re-tightened if and when necessary to make the number of cases a steady stream (hopefully over time reducing to a trickle) to give the health services a chance to cope and not endanger anyone else in need of urgent medical treatment at the same time.

I'm sure the hope is to have a vaccine, but it may also be hoped that those steady stream of people who recover growing in numbers provide a bit of herd immunity. But that would be 'if all else fails' as at the moment no-one can be sure about how it may mutate (although the antibodies against Covid19 may at least provide a starting point for the body to fight any mutation) but it would allow some lifting of restrictions and why anti-body tests will become increasingly important.

There would also be a fear that those who have had a severe case of the virus will have damage to their lungs or possibly other organs making them more likely to contract and die from other infections in the future. So we may well see an increased death rate for a few years as some people who had the virus succumb to something else they pick up later. Worst case would be another respiratory illness.
Scary isn't it.

OffenhamSkyBlue

It is quite likely that it will become seasonal, like flu, and there will probably be a vaccine for the most prevalent isolate. But don't forget, even with a tri-valent vaccine (tetra-valent in children), flu still kills upwards of 20,000 people a year. In England.

Gazolba

Vaccines for flu viruses seldom work. Even with normal flu, by the time the immunologists come up with a vaccine, it's already mutated and the jab does very little to prevent catching the new strain. Seems that these strains are getting more virulent and this could become a regular thing for the world to face up to.
But the vaccines make lots of money for the companies that develop them.
So everyone has to be made to think they work

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Hi all, I still follow threads on here and I hope all those that have reported symptoms are ok? The reason I post is I am pretty certain I’ve finally come through a dose myself! I dismissed it originally due to not having a proper cough (later realised this wasn’t a necessity) but I’ll go through my symptoms in the hope others may recognise signs earlier. (For reference I’m 30, bit overweight, never smoked, exercise a bit, always had strong lungs.)

First signs were early hours of the 25th woke shaking fever (went to bed ok), heart and chest going like the clappers took some paracetamol, had a dodgy stomach, stayed awake through pure worry, felt ropey next day but as the day wore on felt ok, 26th felt feverish, 27th woke with the sorest throat i have ever ever had this lasted til 29th I think (I was drinking litres of kettle boiled water, which sort of helped and taking paracetamol) at the Same time head started to bung up but didn’t feel like a cold just blocked passage ways, but it spread to my chest genuinely couldn’t get oxygen to my lungs, I could genuinely have drawn a diagram on my chest of all the passage ways.Nights from 28th through to 4th (this is why I think it was COVID-19) I woke pretty much through not being able to catch my breathe, lungs felt like they weren’t fully inflating/crushing which was absolutely terrifying and kept me awake then.
I was hacking up phlegm/mucas at times which was the colour and consistency of maple syrup was coming right off my lungs.
Lost all sense of smell and taste.
A couple of times during this week I woke and didn’t feel too bad in the AM by afternoon I was done, 30 seconds doing any activity around the house and I was wiped most evenings once I’d finished WFH I’d try and do bits but ended up in bed absolutely out of it. I haven’t left the house since the 24th hasn’t bothered me as I’ve felt utter garbage til last 72 hours and today I feel back to my normal self (last Saturday I did 4 ‘shuttles’ of then garden playing with my son trying to battle through and I was gasping for air, straight to bed, tonight I’ve played for an hour with him running about and not broken breathe.)

I was pretty worried and at times mainly at night scared as for a few days it seemed be getting slightly worse.

Few things I did which helped-
I found drinking warm water did help bring up mucus right off the chest and lungs.

Loads of paracetamol.

I took piriton when struggled to breathe at times and it did open the airways slightly.

I didn’t phone 101 or docs as I kept trying to convince myself I was ‘ok’. Like I said at the Start I didn’t get tested etc so cannot say with 100% certainty but I would be surprised and slightly worried if it wasn’t this due to the to impact it had on me!

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well
and remember stay in!

See you all on the other side of this!

ajsccfc

Sounds like you've ticked basically the boxes for it, the part about helping better temporarily and then it knocking you on your arse again in particular

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sounds like you've ticked basically the boxes for it, the part about helping better temporarily and then it knocking you on your arse again in particular

That is the thing that’s why I’ve waited 72 hours to give myself the ‘all clear’ as I was fearful of a relapse.

It was bizarre 8-3 felt ok, bit chesty, then it hit me thought I was on deaths door 2/3 days!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

At least you're here!

(As an aside, you happy to say why you did your bye now message and left the forum before all this kicked off?!?)

No exactly I’m sure mine was only reasonably mild dose of this horrific disease.

Not sure what the moment that pushed me was but I’d just enough of social media type stuff in general, sacked off some that I used and rarely use others, to be honest felt better for it.I still read bits on here to pass the time or on subjects of interest.

wingy

Some interesting stats from Mr Valance yesterday.
While not definitive suggested up to 10% of population may have become infected,30-50% of whom were likely asymptomatic.

Otis

Hi all, I still follow threads on here and I hope all those that have reported symptoms are ok? The reason I post is I am pretty certain I’ve finally come through a dose myself! I dismissed it originally due to not having a proper cough (later realised this wasn’t a necessity) but I’ll go through my symptoms in the hope others may recognise signs earlier. (For reference I’m 30, bit overweight, never smoked, exercise a bit, always had strong lungs.)

First signs were early hours of the 25th woke shaking fever (went to bed ok), heart and chest going like the clappers took some paracetamol, had a dodgy stomach, stayed awake through pure worry, felt ropey next day but as the day wore on felt ok, 26th felt feverish, 27th woke with the sorest throat i have ever ever had this lasted til 29th I think (I was drinking litres of kettle boiled water, which sort of helped and taking paracetamol) at the Same time head started to bung up but didn’t feel like a cold just blocked passage ways, but it spread to my chest genuinely couldn’t get oxygen to my lungs, I could genuinely have drawn a diagram on my chest of all the passage ways.Nights from 28th through to 4th (this is why I think it was COVID-19) I woke pretty much through not being able to catch my breathe, lungs felt like they weren’t fully inflating/crushing which was absolutely terrifying and kept me awake then.
I was hacking up phlegm/mucas at times which was the colour and consistency of maple syrup was coming right off my lungs.
A couple of times during this week I woke and didn’t feel too bad in the AM by afternoon I was done, 30 seconds doing any activity around the house and I was wiped most evenings once I’d finished WFH I’d try and do bits but ended up in bed absolutely out of it. I haven’t left the house since the 24th hasn’t bothered me as I’ve felt utter garbage til last 72 hours and today I feel back to my normal self (last Saturday I did 4 ‘shuttles’ of then garden playing with my son trying to battle through and I was gasping for air, straight to bed, tonight I’ve played for an hour with him running about and not broken breathe.)

I was pretty worried and at times mainly at night scared as for a few days it seemed be getting slightly worse.

I found drinking warm water did help bring up mucus right off the chest and lungs.

Loads of paracetamol.

I took piriton when struggled to breathe at times and it did open the airways slightly.

I didn’t phone 101 or docs as I kept trying to convince myself I was ‘ok’. Like I said at the Start I didn’t get tested etc so cannot say with 100% certainty but I would be surprised and slightly worried if it wasn’t this due to the to impact it had on me!

and remember stay in!

Thanks for sharing all this ISSS. Much appreciated and I am sure it will prove to be a help for anyone else catching this crappy virus.

Flying Fokker

Loads of paracetamol.

and remember stay in!

Well done. That was some journey. I think this virus is devious because no matter what level it hits us we always question whether we have it. It’s interesting that people mention sore throat quite often but it is low on the stats..

Users who are viewing this thread