Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Do you think these rules should be implemented until a vaccine arrives?
There needs to be a balance between letting it rip and not completely overwhelming public services.

There need to be mitigation measures.

The reason we end up with blanket restrictions is that we don't have any targeted ways of stopping transmission as we have no real clue where it's probably happening. Thia is due to the abysmal test and trace system, not enough people tested and not enough attempts to trace let alone people actually traced.

Brighton Sky Blue

There needs to be a balance between letting it rip and not completely overwhelming public services.

There need to be mitigation measures.

The reason we end up with blanket restrictions is that we don't have any targeted ways of stopping transmission as we have no real clue where it's probably happening. Thia is due to the abysmal test and trace system, not enough people tested and not enough attempts to trace let alone people actually traced.

That isn’t quite what I asked. I’m allowed to be in an office with colleagues for about 8 hours but I can’t be in a pub or restaurant with them for any length of time? How long do you think it’s necessary for it to be like this?

fernandopartridge

That isn’t quite what I asked. I’m allowed to be in an office with colleagues for about 8 hours but I can’t be in a pub or restaurant with them for any length of time? How long do you think it’s necessary for it to be like this?

Why are you asking me? I am not an advocate of the rule of 6, the 10pm closing or other various blanket rules.

That said, nothing stops you meeting them for a 10 hour drinking session provided there aren't any more than 6 of you.

Saddlebrains

No. I've watched these stupid claims & conspiracy theories coming from you for ages now, you fail to grasp any of the side issues, you have clearly forgotten what happened last time, you make out that "Ethel" is an irrelevance (as well as the hundreds of medical staff that died presumably) so apparently we should just let her die, you talk about 'peaks' when you haven't got a clue when that peak might be, you are ignoring the fact that we tend to be a few weeks behind other countries, and then go on to claim that "hundreds of thousands" of people are going to die horrible deaths as a direct result of having zero treatment available as we're trying to stop the spread of COVID at the expense of all else, and so now we have to directly choose who's life is worth more. It wouldn't be as bad if this stuff was based on any kind of evidence, but its not, if anything it flies in the face of everything we went through from March and what we know now. You have nothing to back any of this up apart from seemingly trotting out vague theories spewed out by self proclaimed experts, who seem to include a shedload of confirmed cranks and a rising number of fading 80s pop stars.

You live for bad news dont you

Saddlebrains

I wouldn't listen too much to Karol Sikora (shares in private firm that provides cancer services, hater of the NHS). The data on referrals to cancer treatment is published by NHS England. It seems most CCG areas are around where they were performance wise on things like the two week referral target than they were prior to Covid.

A sensible response. I quite enjoy debating our differing views on this as you always respond with reason or facts to back your view up. Fair play.

Shame others can't do the same

Saddlebrains

And? What does that have to with anything? France deaths are starting to rise again and we are following a similar path were the original rise in cases was in the young and it starts to spread to the more vulnerable. As FP said ICU cases are rising and at the moment around a 1/3 of thos poor people die.

No one said France was anywhere near what it was at it's peak so I'm not sure why you would compare now to then?

I literally put a screenshot of France Death rate up earlier on the thread that shows 6 weeks into their second wave deaths are still low.

Brighton Sky Blue

You're not allowed to say that, it doesnt agree with the narrative, be careful you'll get rounded on 👀👀

We had planned to see some friends up north over half term. Looks like we’ll be banned from doing that so just work like fuck during term time then get locked inside for a week before the fun restarts. Can’t complain though that would be ‘flippant’

shmmeee

Anyone heard anything about Halloween? Daughters favourite holiday and she was asking today if it’ll be “cancelled”. Genuinely didn’t know what to tell her.

Saddlebrains

Anyone heard anything about Halloween? Daughters favourite holiday and she was asking today if it’ll be “cancelled”. Genuinely didn’t know what to tell her.

I would assume that would be the case as all Bonfire displays have been cancelled.

I understand your feeling, my daughter loves Halloween and bonfire night so with both nit being 'a thing' this year its just a depressing run of dark cold nights and mornings up until Christmas

Sick Boy

I’d have concerns over Christmas never mind that. With this year it’s safe to assume everything good is off
Yeah, I don’t think I will see my family until next summer now, which will be a total of 18 months. Girlfriend will probably be working on Xmas day, so will probably end spending the day with the in-laws and wider family and the fucked up Veronese Christmas food.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, I don’t think I will see my family until next summer now, which will be a total of 18 months. Girlfriend will probably be working on Xmas day, so will probably end spending the day with the in-laws and wider family and the fucked up Veronese Christmas food.

Better make sure the turkey’s wearing a mask

clint van damme

We had planned to see some friends up north over half term. Looks like we’ll be banned from doing that so just work like fuck during term time then get locked inside for a week before the fun restarts. Can’t complain though that would be ‘flippant’

Saddlebrains remark about keeping Ethel alive for 2 more years was flippant. He even said himself he could of worded it better.

No one's calling genuine grievances flippant. I don't think anyone can get there head around the mish mash of restrictions but the way infections are rising it's clear there still needs to be some.

As some of us have said many times - we need a functioning trace and track

Brighton Sky Blue

Saddlebrains remark about keeping Ethel alive for 2 more years was flippant. He even said himself he could of worded it better.

No one's calling genuine grievances flippant. I don't think anyone can get there head around the mish mash of restrictions but the way infections are rising it's clear there still needs to be some.

As some of us have said many times - we need a functioning trace and track

I’m not referring to his comment but it seems any grievance about restrictions is lumped in with the anti-masker ‘I don’t care who dies’ brigade. It’s making me miserable just thinking about yet more things I can’t do while I’m being asked to do my job in the most farcical circumstances. There’s nothing to look forward to for months on end

Sick Boy

I’m not referring to his comment but it seems any grievance about restrictions is lumped in with the anti-masker ‘I don’t care who dies’ brigade. It’s making me miserable just thinking about yet more things I can’t do while I’m being asked to do my job in the most farcical circumstances. There’s nothing to look forward to for months on end
It’s shite, everyone has their own worries and concerns about what’s going, I’ve honestly not slept more than 5 hours a night since lockdown started here, the lack of control over the situation and not being able to see my family is shite...eventually it’ll get better

NorthernWisdom

It’s shite, everyone has their own worries and concerns about what’s going, I’ve honestly not slept more than 5 hours a night since lockdown started here, the lack of control over the situation and not being able to see my family is shite...eventually it’ll get better
Yeah, not soon though.

But it will. It's all a small pin prick in humanity's rich tapestry.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm a pessimist anyway SB, this has sent it into overdrive. Another 6 months of this is too much

Ring Of Steel

You're not allowed to say that, it doesnt agree with the narrative, be careful you'll get rounded on 👀👀

I get it- haven’t seen family for almost a year, there’s job uncertainty everywhere, just heard there’s 64 cases at a school about 3 miles away, everyone Ian tense and stressed- then add in massive mismanagement & stupidly vague rules on what to do. It’s absolutely shit.

However that doesn’t mean I’m going to start believing half baked theories started by no-marks trying to pretend it’s not very real, just so I can feel better about things by kidding myself that I’m one step ahead and I know what they’re up to with their “narratives”

chiefdave

we're knocking 25 years off Dave aged 44
You're a couple of years out on the age but at the moment only having 25 years knocked off would feel like a victory.
Its still massively, massively rare it kills anyone who isnt elderly or withoutany underlying conditions.
But you can't just dismiss those people with a wave of the hand as acceptable losses. People talk about those who are elderly or have underlying conditions like they're at deaths door but that's far from the case for the majority of them.

50 is the age that seems to be generally referred to as the point at which the risk increases. Thats 38% of the population. Add in everyone who is a few pounds overweight, has mild asthma, high blood pressure etc and you're likely looking at well over half the population.

chiefdave

Another point about let her rip type strategies: it’s not just about deaths, it’s about all that comes with deaths: overloaded admin services, bodies piling up unable to be buried, hospitals overrun and unable to cope with normal service. The politicial impact alone of mass graves or body piles in the U.K. would mean no government that has any self preservation instincts would allow that to happen.
This never seems to be explained when people say just get on with it and open everything up. Even if you look at the numbers suggested in Steve's post (#32,717) thats huge numbers of sick and dead, and those numbers were based on restrictions being in place. Is there an acceptable deaths figure? What happens when the NHS becomes overwhelmed?

chiefdave

They're doing this by me, seems to be quite a lot of places doing something similar.

Brighton Sky Blue

I get it- haven’t seen family for almost a year, there’s job uncertainty everywhere, just heard there’s 64 cases at a school about 3 miles away, everyone Ian tense and stressed- then add in massive mismanagement & stupidly vague rules on what to do. It’s absolutely shit.

However that doesn’t mean I’m going to start believing half baked theories started by no-marks trying to pretend it’s not very real, just so I can feel better about things by kidding myself that I’m one step ahead and I know what they’re up to with their “narratives”

It's because a virus that doesn't even cause symptoms in around half the people who get it has made it so you can be fined 3 grand for going to someone's house. Take away the good things and leave all the shit in place for ages and people will start to lose their shit

Ring Of Steel

It's because a virus that doesn't even cause symptoms in around half the people who get it has made it so you can be fined 3 grand for going to someone's house. Take away the good things and leave all the shit in place for ages and people will start to lose their shit

So fuck the other half then. No doubt it’s shit, but unfortunately that doesn’t mean it isn’t real and all a wicked plan to mess up people’s lives.

Brighton Sky Blue

So fuck the other half then. No doubt it’s shit, but unfortunately that doesn’t mean it isn’t real and all a wicked plan to mess up people’s lives.

Vallance's estimates had us at a 0.4% death rate. About half don't get symptoms, another 30% will get mild symptoms. People under 20 will hardly ever fall ill from it but I have to teach in a box and refrain from even handing them a sheet. Where's the justification in that BS?

Users who are viewing this thread