Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (4 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

Right Said Fred were going around with QAnon signs at the weekend in London, they think COVID is a hoax and have started blocking the many people now referring to them as ‘Far Right Said Fred. I find this information both very bizarre and very amusing 👍

Last edited:

clint van damme

Right Said Fred were going around with QAnon signs at the weekend in London, they think COVID is a hoax and have started blocking the many people now referring to them as ‘Far Right Said Fred. I find this information this both very bizarre and very amusing 👍

Hasn't the fella behind QAnon been outed as the far right paedophile enabler behind 8chan?

ajsccfc

I hate when people say famous people should stay out of politics but I've had to now get rid of my Right Said Fred albums as well as only listen to 3/4 of my Corrs stuff. Thankfully my Jedward shelf is pristine and intact

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yep it's glitchy as fuck. You'd think a tracing app would make use of the geolocation features and work out where you are.

They haven't really fixed the app test results issue either as you then have to go and actually request a code.

Why have we released a half finished app that adds very little. Money would of been better spent on the local PH teams who are experience track and tracers.

But then none of theri rich mates and donors would be making any money and we can't be having that now!

Saddlebrains

If it still carries on at this rate in 10 days time then we must start questioning restrictions surely? We're what pushing 2 weeks since cases started spiking again?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200928-141350_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-141350_Twitter.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 23

David O'Day

If it still carries on at this rate in 10 days time then we must start questioning restrictions surely? We're what pushing 2 weeks since cases started spiking again?

No because it started like this in both Spain and France and they are now starting to show 3 figure deaths totals.

fernandopartridge

The death peak won't happen for a while yet, given that 1/3 of people who go into ICU end up dead, and the numbers in ICU are growing day on day, the deaths will inevitably follow.

Saddlebrains

But why?

First peak everyone confidently said its 3 weeks before any major uptick in deaths from cases.

We're 2 weeks down the line now so surely you'd be seeing something is all im saying? Not that it will or wont happen.

One thing for certain is Whitty And Vallances graph to scare the shit out of everyone is looking a bit far fetched

Saddlebrains

That's the expected timeframe for a rise in cases rather than deaths isn't it?

No not as far as im aware. Cases rise exponentially due to how virile the disease is, spreads like wildfire as we know.

The 2-4 week wait is from a spike in cases to a spike in deaths. Which is what we saw first time round. We're 3 weeks into the second peak and deaths staying flat

chiefdave

No not as far as im aware. Cases rise exponentially due to how virile the disease is, spreads like wildfire as we know.

The 2-4 week wait is from a spike in cases to a spike in deaths. Which is what we saw first time round. We're 3 weeks into the second peak and deaths staying flat
Assumed there was a lag in people testing positive as every time there's been a big event people have said wait 2-3 weeks to see the impact on cases.

From what is being said about current cases if we're following the same pattern as France and Spain the initial surge in cases is in younger people who then pass it on. We're told younger people are likely to be less seriously affected, would that explain the reason its taking longer for the death rate to increase?

Saddlebrains

Assumed there was a lag in people testing positive as every time there's been a big event people have said wait 2-3 weeks to see the impact on cases.

From what is being said about current cases if we're following the same pattern as France and Spain the initial surge in cases is in younger people who then pass it on. We're told younger people are likely to be less seriously affected, would that explain the reason its taking longer for the death rate to increase?

Potentially. Just seems strange how theres not been a massive spike in deaths abroad either after a second wave.

I was speaking to my friend who works at UHCW Thursday. He made a bold comment that i find hard to disagree with.

'Whilst shielding the elderly and trying to give them an extra year or 2, we are actually endangering the middle aged due to the backlog in cancer treatments, cardiology check ups etc'

We may be giving Ethel aged 86 another year or 2 but we're knocking 25 years off Dave aged 44'

Sobering really

clint van damme

Potentially. Just seems strange how theres not been a massive spike in deaths abroad either after a second wave.

I was speaking to my friend who works at UHCW Thursday. He made a bold comment that i find hard to disagree with.

'Whilst shielding the elderly and trying to give them an extra year or 2, we are actually endangering the middle aged due to the backlog in cancer treatments, cardiology check ups etc'

We may be giving Ethel aged 86 another year or 2 but we're knocking 25 years off Dave aged 44'

Sobering really

If your mate works at UHCW he should be well aware it's killed 650 front line staff.
Your comment about giving Ethel a couple more years is flippant and disengenious.

shmmeee

But why?

First peak everyone confidently said its 3 weeks before any major uptick in deaths from cases.

We're 2 weeks down the line now so surely you'd be seeing something is all im saying? Not that it will or wont happen.

One thing for certain is Whitty And Vallances graph to scare the shit out of everyone is looking a bit far fetched

First peak we didn’t spot until late and only tested those presenting at hospital. So any early slow burn among the younger working age population goes unnoticed. That’s where we are now. That’s why you can’t compare case numbers because the real case numbers back in March were a lot higher than reported.

The next step is that the virus spreads to the older more vulnerable population who by definition are more segmented from society.

One hope is that the most vulnerable were the ones that died off in the first wave so the mortality from the second wave won’t be as bad. But we won’t know until we get there.

shmmeee

Another point about let her rip type strategies: it’s not just about deaths, it’s about all that comes with deaths: overloaded admin services, bodies piling up unable to be buried, hospitals overrun and unable to cope with normal service. The politicial impact alone of mass graves or body piles in the U.K. would mean no government that has any self preservation instincts would allow that to happen.

Ring Of Steel

Sobering really

it would be if it wasn't total bullshit

Saddlebrains

If your mate works at UHCW he should be well aware it's killed 650 front line staff.
Your comment about giving Ethel a couple more years is flippant and disengenious.

He does and got redeployed to the covid wards in April. No such thing happening this time around, i wonder why.

and i dont feel its disingenuous, It's true. Ok i maybe could have worded the comment better, but Its still massively, massively rare it kills anyone who isnt elderly or withoutany underlying conditions.

Yet the knock on effect is hundreds of thousands of people are going to be on the path to advanced/aggressive cancer due to not being able to receive the fantastic treatment we receive from the NHS.

David O'Day

Compared to 2000 a day at the previous peak.

And? What does that have to with anything? France deaths are starting to rise again and we are following a similar path were the original rise in cases was in the young and it starts to spread to the more vulnerable. As FP said ICU cases are rising and at the moment around a 1/3 of thos poor people die.

No one said France was anywhere near what it was at it's peak so I'm not sure why you would compare now to then?

clint van damme

He does and got redeployed to the covid wards in April. No such thing happening this time around, i wonder why.

and i dont feel its disingenuous, It's true. Ok i maybe could have worded the comment better, but Its still massively, massively rare it kills anyone who isnt elderly or withoutany underlying conditions.

Yet the knock on effect is hundreds of thousands of people are going to be on the path to advanced/aggressive cancer due to not being able to receive the fantastic treatment we receive from the NHS.

How do you get hundreds of thousands will be on their way to advanced cancer?
There will be people in that position,.There are people in that position but how do you get such a high figure?

Ring Of Steel

Inform me how its total bullshit then?

No. I've watched these stupid claims & conspiracy theories coming from you for ages now, you fail to grasp any of the side issues, you have clearly forgotten what happened last time, you make out that "Ethel" is an irrelevance (as well as the hundreds of medical staff that died presumably) so apparently we should just let her die, you talk about 'peaks' when you haven't got a clue when that peak might be, you are ignoring the fact that we tend to be a few weeks behind other countries, and then go on to claim that "hundreds of thousands" of people are going to die horrible deaths as a direct result of having zero treatment available as we're trying to stop the spread of COVID at the expense of all else, and so now we have to directly choose who's life is worth more. It wouldn't be as bad if this stuff was based on any kind of evidence, but its not, if anything it flies in the face of everything we went through from March and what we know now. You have nothing to back any of this up apart from seemingly trotting out vague theories spewed out by self proclaimed experts, who seem to include a shedload of confirmed cranks and a rising number of fading 80s pop stars.

NorthernWisdom

How do you get hundreds of thousands will be on their way to advanced cancer?
There will be people in that position,.There are people in that position but how do you get such a high figure?
I can only speak anecdotally, but treatment has been scheduled as 'normal' for family and friends (and me!) in hospital (a variety of illnesses across us all!). I can only assume that's because they weren't treating a mass of coronavirus cases.

fernandopartridge

I wouldn't listen too much to Karol Sikora (shares in private firm that provides cancer services, hater of the NHS). The data on referrals to cancer treatment is published by NHS England. It seems most CCG areas are around where they were performance wise on things like the two week referral target than they were prior to Covid.

fernandopartridge

Another point about let her rip type strategies: it’s not just about deaths, it’s about all that comes with deaths: overloaded admin services, bodies piling up unable to be buried, hospitals overrun and unable to cope with normal service. The politicial impact alone of mass graves or body piles in the U.K. would mean no government that has any self preservation instincts would allow that to happen.

Indeed, therein lies the inherent contradictions in the 'let it rip' type people who don't think things through. They complain on the one hand that the NHS is shut down and not providing its usual services but on the other think it should be made to deal with the potential fallout of thousands of cases as if March/April was a walk in the park.

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed, therein lies the inherent contradictions in the 'let it rip' type people who don't think things through. They complain on the one hand that the NHS is shut down and not providing its usual services but on the other think it should be made to deal with the potential fallout of thousands of cases as if March/April was a walk in the park.

Do you think these rules should be implemented until a vaccine arrives?

Users who are viewing this thread