Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (15 Viewers)

shmmeee

In a general sense, easily ;)

(Out of interest, how long do people care about qualifications? Last job I was very surprised to have to give proof of my German GCSE grade. Not like I can remember a thing, or would dream of claiming to speak German!)

Ive seen people hiring 40+ year olds because of the secondary school they went to so I guess a long time.

The missus thinks we’re nuts. Can’t understand why anyone cares what GCSEs you got after 16.

NorthernWisdom

Ive seen people hiring 40+ year olds because of the secondary school they went to so I guess a long time.

The missus thinks we’re nuts. Can’t understand why anyone cares what GCSEs you got after 16.
I did find it very odd, I must admit. I mean, I can't even remember off the top of my head what my GCSEs were, anymore, I wouldn't dream of claiming competence in half the subjects (can't even remember most of my Maths A Level either!) so proving I have them is slightly irrelevant once I get the higher qualifications, you'd think.

I suppose it does prove you're honest, but tbh if you get higher qualifications / experience having stuffed up your GCSEs, that's just as good a narrative about how you pull yourself together, don't let setbacks beat you yadda yadda anyway!

Sky Blue Pete

About 5 years is how long they’re relevant for. It’s a daft employer that cares about your results rather than your past experience

wingy

So the French decision.
Yeah there numbers sound high .
But I think per 100,000 is lower than Coventry , so is Leicester for that matter?
Still no fuckers wearing a mask in my local corner shop.🤔

xcraigx

So the French decision.
But I think per 100,000 is lower than Coventry , so is Leicester for that matter?

I went into my local shop last night and there must have been around 20 people coming and going whilst I was in there. Only 1 person had a mask on. There used to be a 1 in 1 out system but everyone's back to coming and going as they please. It's very much back to normal.

I'm not sure what to make of France but their cases do seem to still be on the rise and have been for a couple of weeks, but i'm fed up with people crying on BBC news saying they should have been given more warning. I'm not sure that's how a pandemic works to be honest. Surely anyone going abroad at the moment must factor in the chance that they may need to quarantine when they come back?

Sky Blue Pete

I went into my local shop last night and there must have been around 20 people coming and going whilst I was in there. Only 1 person had a mask on. There used to be a 1 in 1 out system but everyone's back to coming and going as they please. It's very much back to normal.

I'm not sure what to make of France but their cases do seem to still be on the rise and have been for a couple of weeks, but i'm fed up with people crying on BBC news saying they should have been given more warning. I'm not sure that's how a pandemic works to be honest. Surely anyone going abroad at the moment must factor in the chance that they may need to quarantine when they come back?
Anyone going abroad is taking an almighty risk this summer and they knew it

wingy

Anyone going abroad is taking an almighty risk this summer and they knew it
They should have but it's easy to see how the insulated attitude to it evolves.
Getting in early best case here.
But forgetting it best bet .
Let's face it the warning signs were there 4 months ago on Gran Canaria .
Sorry Pipkin.
Talking about reactions here .

shmmeee

Silly question. Does the mask rule apply in banks?

Talking to the missus last night and she was saying she sees why the Asians wear them all the time now and will probably choose to wear one if she’s feeling a bit I’ll in future just to stop the spread of whatever.

If that becomes the norm, I can’t see how any laws against face coverings will be enforced. Can’t refuse a mask or something like a turban, it’s only the eyes left visible. 🤔

fernandopartridge

Silly question. Does the mask rule apply in banks?

Talking to the missus last night and she was saying she sees why the Asians wear them all the time now and will probably choose to wear one if she’s feeling a bit I’ll in future just to stop the spread of whatever.

If that becomes the norm, I can’t see how any laws against face coverings will be enforced. Can’t refuse a mask or something like a turban, it’s only the eyes left visible. 🤔

Banks are retail outlets aren't they so should be part of the requirements.

wingy

So the French decision.
I take this back.
Seems it's where you get your figures from .
I've since read that it's 32.
5 per 100,000

Apologies.

Sky Blue Pete

UK is higher than France and the Netherlands according to this. I'm not sure what measure they use for making the quarantine decisions though, presumably it's rate of growth rather than per 100k.
I’m pretty certain France and Spain will reciprocate. Imagine going for a weekend in Paris and having to isolate in France for 2 weeks when you get there and then 2 weeks when you get back so a weekend will mean taking 4 weeks and 3 days leave. Mmmmm

NorthernWisdom

The virus discriminates on socioeconomic grounds. The well off 'middle' classes imported it yet have been less badly affected overall than the poor working class.
Indeed. Stands to reason it's easier to avoid other people in small towns and /or villages, and the people who live there are more likely to have the jobs to allow them to work from home, too.

fernandopartridge

Indeed. Stands to reason it's easier to avoid other people in small towns and /or villages, and the people who live there are more likely to have the jobs to allow them to work from home, too.

That said, my old MSOA in Cov is amongst the poorest 10% in the country yet has recorded 30 cases over the whole period and none for 10 weeks.

hill83

We’ve just had a big mental health initiative at work alongside new t&c’s where you don’t get paid for your first 3 days off sick no matter what. Covid or not. Not been a thing for the last 15 years. Absolute jokers.

I’m relatively settled money wise but that’s encouraging me to come in if I feel ill. With what’s going on right now it’s absolutely fucking stupid.

Sky Blue Pete

We’ve just had a big mental health initiative at work alongside new t&c’s where you don’t get paid for your first 3 days off sick no matter what. Covid or not. Not been a thing for the last 15 years. Absolute jokers.

I’m relatively settled money wise but that’s encouraging me to come in if I feel ill. With what’s going on right now it’s absolutely fucking stupid.
It really is stupid

Users who are viewing this thread