Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

Sick Boy

Shmmeee, whoever brought up the original comparison with Italy was wrong, this isn’t some kind of competition. The fact that it’s consistently brought up every time there is bad news about the UK figures is just as bad though in my book.

The fact is all countries will end up suffering badly from this, possibly at different times (different waves etc). If asked though, would I rather be here than Italy, Spain, France etc (as it keeps being sarcastically mentioned by various posters - appreciate this is probably aimed at whoever made the comparison to start with) my answer would be yes. Both for fact that we have remained within our hospital bed and ICU capacities (so far) and the lockdown, which whilst difficult, is no doubt more relaxed than various other countries which will have ultimately have benefited the wider population in unquantifiable ways. In addition I am hoping the furlough scheme will save many businesses from going bust and many hundreds of thousands losing their jobs. Fingers crossed anyway.

Yes, we might have higher spikes of case and death figures but until we know the proportions of the populations that’s had it, whether it can be caught again and until the virus has been dealt with (or better controlled internationally), comparisons are almost irrelevant.

Have we breached ICU capacities which would have caused additional unnecessary deaths ? no. In actual fact we’ve run at a high spare capacity throughout and there are plenty of countries/regions that haven’t been as lucky (outside of Europe I’ve read of japan turning patients away and New York has consistently reached if not breached, capacity)

Finally, and in answer to the earlier, ‘look how bad our actual deaths are’ post, people are forgetting that this is likely to be the same problem across pretty much every badly hit country ie figures will be initially understated everywhere. An example of this was reflected in the WSJ earlier in the month. I didn’t feel it was appropriate to post at the time for the reasons given above but as there appears to be more focus on our inaccurate (understated) numbers I thought it would be useful to share something to show that every badly hit country will be facing exactly the same problem as ourselves.

Italy’s Coronavirus Death Toll Is Far Higher Than Reported

Anyway, this isn’t a ‘look at how great we are’ post, more a ‘we’re all in this same shit situation together’. We know there have been many issues and challenges, some of which we have not dealt with well, however, this is the early stages of a worldwide pandemic of a totally new virus and I expect a majority of countries will unfortunately have similar challenges/issues either now or in the future. Let’s just hope we can find a vaccine or at least all find a way to deal with it as well as possible

ps I hope everyone can enjoy at least some of the last good weather for a few days (suppose were were due some dodgy days). It’s certainly kept the spirits up over the last few weeks

Looking from the outside, I’m very concerned about the situation in the UK and the way it’s being handled in general, especially with the lockdown. Bars and restaurants will reopen in 18days here, which is testament to the plans put in place over the last month.

I appreciate it wasn’t you but some of the sneering arrogance about how badly other countries were handling it was ridiculous.

chiefdave

Anyone still not concerned? Its gone from Cummings wasn't attending to he was attending but observing to he was an active participant and now other members of SAGE expressing concern about his presence and the impact it had on SAGE's ability to advise impartially.

Attendees of Sage meetings worried by presence of Cummings
One attendee of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) said they felt Cummings’ interventions had sometimes inappropriately influenced what is supposed to be an impartial scientific process.

A second Sage attendee said they were shocked when Cummings first began participating in Sage discussions, in February, because they believed the group should be providing “unadulterated scientific data” without any political input.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just thought I'd mention that there is a growing belief that we've now peaked (or at least the first wave has). In totally unrelated news guess who's back at work tomorrow.......?

NorthernWisdom

chiefdave

good to see the BAME are following the guidelines like the rest of us. Updates – Police and medics seal off street after man 'stabbed in chest'
There's no mention of BAME in the article?
Medics and police have blocked off a Smethwick street after unconfirmed reports a man was stabbed in the chest.

Emergency crews – including the Midlands Air ambulance – are currently working in Mallin Street after the unconfirmed reports of the knifing on Sunday, April 26.

Saeed Shamedami, owner of Formula One Pizza, said the drama unfolded following an altercation outside the store at around 4.30pm.

"There were two groups of men arguing just outside the store," he told BlackCountryLive. "And when I got outside one of them was lying on the ground - he had blood pouring from his chest.

"I rang the ambulance straight away but it took 20 minutes for them to arrive."

West Midlands Police has been contacted for more information.

The Lurker

What’s yours?

What is it about melanin levels you think makes someone stabby exactly?

Still didn’t answer my question.

hey? In English please. if you think its fine for certain groups to be stabbing eachother in broad daylight while in lockdown and supposedly helping the nhs and not burdening then god help you. last thing the nhs needs at the minute is going to stabbings. 4 stabbings in Birmingham today, 2 in cov last night. government will no doubt get the blame

shmmeee

Still didn’t answer my question.

hey? In English please. if you think its fine for certain groups to be stabbing eachother in broad daylight while in lockdown and supposedly helping the nhs and not burdening then god help you. last thing the nhs needs at the minute is going to stabbings. 4 stabbings in Birmingham today, 2 in cov last night. government will no doubt get the blame

“Certain groups”

fuck off mate. My point is you’re a massive racist. Now answer mine, what about melanin do you think makes people stab each other? There might be a Nobel Prize in this for you.

I’d you think only black people are involved in gangs I’ve got several people in Wood End for you to meet.

What’s your excuse for this guy? Man charged over petrol station stabbing appears in court

Fucking joker.

And don’t try and pull the NHS card (the NHS in which BAME people are massively over represented in its staff BTW), it’s actively telling people it’s got plenty of capacity. The people treating stab wounds aren’t the ones treating Covid and there’s far fewer white British drunkards beating the shit out of each other every Saturday so I think they’ll be fine.

Sick Boy

Open date for bars here put back to 1st June (luckily they 2nd is a public holiday)
Shops is around the 18th I think and hairdressers 1st June.
From 4th May it’ll be possible to visit close family within your region.

fernandopartridge

With Johnson back to 'work', it's becoming pretty clear there is a big push to get the economic pawns back to work asap regardless of the risk of death or serious illness. The Torygraph pushing misleading polls stating people want lockdown to end unconditionally, lots of air time given to cranks like Toby Young. Now the mass morgues are in place Plan A can be pursued once again.

I'm not sure if it is just being ignored that we're adding on 4k plus cases per day (and that's just diagnosed ones). I genuinely think we'll go to 100k+ excess deaths from this.

SkyBlueDom26

Open date for bars here put back to 1st June (luckily they 2nd is a public holiday)
Shops is around the 18th I think and hairdressers 1st June.
From 4th May it’ll be possible to visit close family within your region.
Great news mate, so happy Italy is seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

skyblue1991

I can see lockdown extending by another three weeks. The deaths just aren't falling, particularly on Saturday when over 800 were recorded.

We just haven't been tough enough with the lockdown enforcement, not like Spain or Italy. They deaths are just going to increase if people keep flouting the advice, either now or the second wave.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Flying Fokker

I can see lockdown extending by another three weeks. The deaths just aren't falling, particularly on Saturday when over 800 were recorded.

We just haven't been tough enough with the lockdown enforcement, not like Spain or Italy. They deaths are just going to increase if people keep flouting the advice, either now or the second wave.

So, social distancing isn’t working in your area? I think it’s working where I am. The only things I dislike is shopping and queuing for anything. Older generations seem to be doing this early in the day.

NorthernWisdom

With Johnson back to 'work', it's becoming pretty clear there is a big push to get the economic pawns back to work asap regardless of the risk of death or serious illness. The Torygraph pushing misleading polls stating people want lockdown to end unconditionally, lots of air time given to cranks like Toby Young. Now the mass morgues are in place Plan A can be pursued once again.

I'm not sure if it is just being ignored that we're adding on 4k plus cases per day (and that's just diagnosed ones). I genuinely think we'll go to 100k+ excess deaths from this.
It's actually where Johnson back might be helpful. Reports suggest he's not keen on lifting restrictions, unlike many in his party.

skyblue1991

So, social distancing isn’t working in your area? I think it’s working where I am. The only things I dislike is shopping and queuing for anything. Older generations seem to be doing this early in the day.
The last week I saw more cars on the road and people in the park compared to the start of lockdown it was almost like a standard day.

Lockdown would work but only if the public adhere to the rules and there are consequences if not.

tisza

Looking from the outside, I’m very concerned about the situation in the UK and the way it’s being handled in general, especially with the lockdown. Bars and restaurants will reopen in 18days here, which is testament to the plans put in place over the last month.

I appreciate it wasn’t you but some of the sneering arrogance about how badly other countries were handling it was ridiculous.
We're scheduled to start easing from May 4 but still going to be significant controls in place.
Early lockdown and people generally respecting it has kept things under control. Seemingly over 50% of deaths from retirement homes.
From here UK govt actions being questioned but also much being made of behaviour of people particularly in run up to lockdown there.

Users who are viewing this thread