Attendances Next Season (6 Viewers)

shmmeee

You'll remember Prem gates of 10k v Ipswich and then 10k in L2. That indicates s a core support no?

Our average in L2 was 9.5k, it was a promotion season and our only at that level. So abnormally high for the leveI.

Our average in L1 the season after was 12.3k an increase of about 30%

Our last Prem season was 2000/2001, our average was 20.5k. That year the division average was about 30k, last proper season it was about 38k, more than a 20% increase. So by today’s figures you’re looking at an average in the Prem of 25k (this isn’t taking into account the Ricoh boost to attendances), an average in L1 of half that.

So, no.

Evo1883

I remember less than 10k at highfield road for top flight football on occasions, so dont expect the lure of the premiership to be THAT strong.
Also highlight packages of premier league games are available on a saturday night on sky, so if you have sky it's understandable that some wont justify the expense of going to games. Especially if you have a partner and kids to pay for.

Sorry not buying that .. also not sure why everybody continues quoting our premier league attendances .

Premier league football is huge today compared to the 90s , % of stadia filled is over 95% across the board.

Clubs today in the prem used to average much less in the 80s and 90s and many rarely filled their stadium besides the big Big clubs

We would average 30,000 plus in the Premier league no problem whatsoever.

fatso

Sorry not buying that .. also not sure why everybody continues quoting our premier league attendances .

Premier league football is huge today compared to the 90s , % of stadia filled is over 95% across the board.

Clubs today in the prem used to average much less in the 80s and 90s and many rarely filled their stadium besides the big Big clubs

We would average 30,000 plus in the Premier league no problem whatsoever.
No way would we ever average 30k, you might get it for Liverpool, Man utd and Villa but for the rest your attendance would probably be 15-17k.
The harsh truth is that football just doesnt really matter to enough people in Cov, unless it's a day out at Wembly or a massive cup game.
I'll say now that we wont sell out for Forrest on our first game back home for 2 years! If forrest sell all their allocation you will probably be lucky to see 24k

Evo1883

No way would we ever average 30k, you might get it for Liverpool, Man utd and Villa but for the rest your attendance would probably be 15-17k.
The harsh truth is that football just doesnt really matter to enough people in Cov, unless it's a day out at Wembly or a massive cup game.
I'll say now that we wont sell out for Forrest on our first game back home for 2 years! If forrest sell all their allocation you will probably be lucky to see 24k

Sorry I think you lost track of where football has gone

Aston villa were averaging between 18 and 25 thousand in the Premier league In the early to mid 90s .
Leicester were averaging 16/18 k in the Premier league in the 90s
West ham were averaging 21k in the prem in the 90s

We would average no problem 30k

We were getting bigger gates sometimes at the ricoh in league 1 against small clubs , than we were at times in the prem against villa .

Football has changed at the top
Our fans constantly quoting attendances in 1995 have no bearing on today

Northants Sky Blue

Our average in L2 was 9.5k, it was a promotion season and our only at that level. So abnormally high for the leveI.

Our average in L1 the season after was 12.3k an increase of about 30%

Our last Prem season was 2000/2001, our average was 20.5k. That year the division average was about 30k, last proper season it was about 38k, more than a 20% increase. So by today’s figures you’re looking at an average in the Prem of 25k (this isn’t taking into account the Ricoh boost to attendances), an average in L1 of half that.

So, no.

Prem in this era would undoubtedly see a huge boost in new fans Shmmeee but the OP was about crowds this coming season.

I was quoting past gates to try and illustrate our `core home support' of 8-10k hasn't changed that drastically over last 3 decades.

fatso

Sorry I think you lost track of where football has gone

Aston villa were averaging between 18 and 25 thousand in the Premier league In the early to mid 90s .
Leicester were averaging 16/18 k in the Premier league in the 90s
West ham were averaging 21k in the prem in the 90s

We would average no problem 30k

We were getting bigger gates sometimes at the ricoh in league 1 against small clubs , than we were at times in the prem against villa .

Football has changed at the top
Our fans constantly quoting attendances in 1995 have no bearing on today
Why are you quoting Aston Villa???
This is Coventry, people arnt arsed.
What's your prediction for the first game back?
Let's just see what happens.

hill83

I reckon we’ll average around 17k over the season and that’s pushing it. We aren’t going to be smashing it and winning games. It’s going to be another slog. That’s including away support.

Evo1883

Why are you quoting Aston Villa???
This is Coventry, people arnt arsed.
What's your prediction for the first game back?
Let's just see what happens.

I reckon we will get 20,000 no problem

I'm quoting villa , Leicester and West ham to highlight that football crowds qere lower and stadiums far more empty in the 90s almost across the board..we weren't unique

We'd certainly be the ony side in the last 15 years or so to fill just below 60% of a stadium in the prem if we got as you said 15-17 k against certain clubs ..it just wouldn't happen today

fatso

I reckon we will get 20,000 no problem
20k is a reasonable estimate, but if you get that for a local (ish) derby and the first game back after 2 years away, then the season average will be considerably lower.
If we got promoted there would be an initial increase, but the novelty would soon wear off.

Evo1883

20k is a reasonable estimate, but if you get that for a local (ish) derby and the first game back after 2 years away, then the season average will be considerably lower.

Not necessarily.
We have averaged over 20k twice at the ricoh in the championship I believe , and we've sold more season tickets than atleast 1 of those seasons already

hill83

Not necessarily.
We have averaged over 20k twice at the ricoh in the championship I believe , and we've sold more season tickets than atleast 1 of those seasons already

Good point actually. How many have we sold? Might have to up my estimate.

fatso

Purely anecdotal but of the group I used to go up with and people I’ve spoken in and around the local, nobody is arsed.

Saying that though, me and my dad are getting season tickets tomorrow. He’s not been for years.
Football was a habit for a lot of people, and the years away have meant many will have lost that habit, And why would they change when you can see all the highlights on line an hour or so after the game for free.

Evo1883

Football was a habit for a lot of people, and the years away have meant many will have lost that habit, And why would they change when you can see all the highlights on line an hour or so after the game for free.

Using this logic all attendances everywhere would just go down year on year but they aren't.

I'm not trying to argue , but what you're saying makes no sense

fatso

We've been out the championship for 10 before last year
But 15 years ago the Ricoh was new, there was a shit load of interest in the stadium and a wave of optimism.
Now the stadium is old, and no longer ours, all the off pitch politics has pissed many off, the championship isn't a novelty anymore, and our budget is bottom 6 !
If we improve on last seasons 16th position we will have done well, but dont expect a tidal wave of new supporters.

Skybluefaz

Purely anecdotal but of the group I used to go up with and people I’ve spoken in and around the local, nobody is arsed.

Saying that though, me and my dad are getting season tickets tomorrow. He’s not been for years.
I'd give anything for my Dad to want to go to a game again. Jealous.

Evo1883

I think people will be surprised by next season , some are seriously going low with these attendance figures

fatso

I think people will be surprised by next season , some are seriously going low with these attendance figures
Time will tell.

I hope I'm wrong, but how many brave soles are going to brave a freezing afternoon in February to watch a drab mid table battle between us and Preston?

Northants Sky Blue

I'm as gutted as anyone that our home support hasn't matched other relegated clubs like Portsmouth and Ipswich (even before Sisu) 🤷‍♂️

Lets hope the return to Championship+Ricoh brings in the fans longer term and we see 17k City fans + whatever the opposition bring

fatso

I think there is a hell of a lot the club should be doing to market themselves better.
The catchment area is large enough, but the club seem pretty anonymous in many circles.

I cant help thinking we are missing a trick.

skybluelee

I can count the times I've seen 20k genuine City fans at a home game on one hand

Unfortunately our core support base is the St Andrew's attendees plus another 2-3k.

If we get 14k average it will be disappointing but expected
We're guaranteed 13k on average from ST holders and away fans alone. You reckon only 1k more than that is 'expected'? Really?

shmmeee

Prem in this era would undoubtedly see a huge boost in new fans Shmmeee but the OP was about crowds this coming season.

I was quoting past gates to try and illustrate our `core home support' of 8-10k hasn't changed that drastically over last 3 decades.

But it has. Even without inflation there's twice as many 'core supporters' in the Prem as there is in L2.

It's a nonsense. There are always levels of supporter obviously, some go to freaking Spain for a pre season friendly, some go to one game a season if they're lucky. But they're relative to the overall size of the fanbase which grows and shrinks in line with performances on the pitch, more specifically league position/'success'. This idea that we have some particularly fickle fans is rubbish.

Grendel

But it has. Even without inflation there's twice as many 'core supporters' in the Prem as there is in L2.

It's a nonsense. There are always levels of supporter obviously, some go to freaking Spain for a pre season friendly, some go to one game a season if they're lucky. But they're relative to the overall size of the fanbase which grows and shrinks in line with performances on the pitch, more specifically league position/'success'. This idea that we have some particularly fickle fans is rubbish.

I honestly don’t think we had more than 10,000 season ticket holders in the premier league

By definition season ticket holders are core supporters

Grendel

COV

You’re living in the past if you don’t believe premier league matches would mostly be sellouts and to say 15k is nuts. Any club who plays in that league would suddenly find 10000 “new” supporters no problem at all

TomRad85

My mate who I used to get my season ticket with when we both lived in the area has basically given up on us, even though we are on the up again the years of shit turned him off and he just seems done, which I think is a bit sad.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

COV

I honestly don’t think we had more than 10,000 season ticket holders in the premier league

By definition season ticket holders are core supporters

Don’t think that’s completely right, must be some people can’t afford the outlay in one go for the season but still go to pretty much every game match by match

COV

No it’s not

Look at the difference between our biggest and lowest crowds in a season and it’s huge, way more than any other clubs in our “category”. Villa can be similar, and Birmingham, maybe it’s a West Midlands thing

Grendel

Don’t think that’s completely right, must be some people can’t afford the outlay in one go for the season but still go to pretty much every game match by match

You can pay monthly and it’s generally half the walk up price?

COV

Personally I think away support is a very good indicator of the size of a clubs support as well.

I remember me and my dad being 2 of only about 300 who went the short distance to Villa Park in the 80s and some of our away followings were diabolical, embarrassing.

Nowadays our away support is brilliant and it’s not just in number, it’s noise as well.

I think that we might be surprised how many come to games and how boisterous things get if we had a serious good run next season.

COV

You can pay monthly and it’s generally half the walk up price?

Yeah that’s fair enough, but if we get 14,000 home fans every game next season but only have 10,000 season ticket holders, what’s our core support- 10k or 14k?

That’s assuming “core support” is a thing now

hamil99

Facebook User
After they went all seater stadiums and the ticket prices went up, the crowds died down massively, as the working class were priced out. That's why, in the 90s crowds were down. Now football is seen as not just working class anymore, and the premier League especially is acceptable for all walks of life, crowds are up. I believe if we went up we'd be getting between 25k and 30k. Just because it is 'cool' to go to premier football.

Users who are viewing this thread