Attendances Next Season (1 Viewer)

matesx

we only managed 20k average 3 times in the Prem!

00/01
Premier League
Premier League
99/00
Premier League
Premier League
98/99
Premier League
Premier League
97/98
Premier League
Premier League
96/97
Premier League
Premier League
95/96
Premier League
Premier League
94/95
Premier League
Premier League
93/94
Premier League
Premier League
92/93
Premier League
Premier League

COV

We had 45000 at Wembley. The least we can expect is 15000 turn up regularly.

A realistic push at promotion and we'd get 20k.

I mean a REAL push at promotion over the course of the season, not a 6 game unbeaten run including 4 draws which is what used to pass as a "serious push" under Boothroyd/ Dowie etc

shmmeee

IIRC Nottingham Forest represent the City and play in West Bridgford (in Nottinghamshire, but not Nottingham) and Nottinghamshire County represent the county and play in Nottingham.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

A realistic push at promotion and we'd get 20k.

I mean a REAL push at promotion over the course of the season, not a 6 game unbeaten run including 4 draws which is what used to pass as a "serious push" under Boothroyd/ Dowie etc
I include the away support in this league, but we should be targeting a third of those Wembley supporters showing up regularly.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

In the Ricoh years in the championship we averaged throughout those years 18k. It’s a realistic expectation that the fans put their money where their mouths are and turn up.

we were told in the league one winning season we’d be getting 20k at the Ricoh.. well now we’re back in the championship it’s time the fans turned up. The excuses are running thin

SeaSeeEffCee

only four teams had more than 20k before lockdown in the entire football league- Forest, Derby and Leeds and Sunderland
The last full season with crowds half the teams in the division averaged 20k+

People love to bang on about how we're a bigger club that teams like Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Norwich etc. whenever we sell a player to them/they beat us to a signing. If that is true then surely we should have no issues getting 20k average attendances.

shmmeee

In the Ricoh years in the championship we averaged throughout those years 18k. It’s a realistic expectation that the fans put their money where their mouths are and turn up.

we were told in the league one winning season we’d be getting 20k at the Ricoh.. well now we’re back in the championship it’s time the fans turned up. The excuses are running thin

None of this is how business works.

It’s the clubs job to attract customers, there’s no moral obligation for people to buy football tickets.

We should be getting 20k. If we don’t COVID and Sisus wild goose chase will be more to blame than some bloke going shopping with his missus on a Saturday.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

None of this is how business works.

It’s the clubs job to attract customers, there’s no moral obligation for people to buy football tickets.

We should be getting 20k. If we don’t COVID and Sisus wild goose chase will be more to blame than some bloke going shopping with his missus on a Saturday.
That’s a fair point. but as a club our fanbase is the most fickle. They have to attract customers. The attraction is a higher league.

ive seen and heard every excuse as to why people don’t go. The club is back in the championship it’s time the fans stopped using shit excuses and supported the club

shmmeee

That’s a fair point. but as a club our fanbase is the most fickle. They have to attract customers. The attraction is a higher league.

ive seen and heard every excuse as to why people don’t go. The club is back in the championship it’s time the fans stopped using shit excuses and supported the club

Why do you think the people of Coventry and Warwickshire are more fickle than other regions? Even those who move here from elsewhere?

I just don’t buy this, sorry. The club is subject to the same demographic and past performance variables as every other club. This constant attack on nameless fans just lets them off the hook for what has generally been poor performance both on the pitch and off it in PR and marketing.

I think not being in Cov and finishing the season for our first title in decades will have a massive impact, but under normal circumstances I think you’d see the same number of fans coming as any other club. I expect our attendances to actually be ahead of our final league position regardless this season.

Comparing us to clubs who were winning European Cups a generation ago or teams that have won repeated promotions over the years is apples and oranges IMO.

matesx

People love to bang on about how we're a bigger club that teams like Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Norwich

i can honestly say in all my years supporting City have i never heard any one bang on about being bigger than those 3 clubs.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Why do you think the people of Coventry and Warwickshire are more fickle than other regions? Even those who move here from elsewhere?

I just don’t buy this, sorry. The club is subject to the same demographic and past performance variables as every other club. This constant attack on nameless fans just lets them off the hook for what has generally been poor performance both on the pitch and off it in PR and marketing.

I think not being in Cov and finishing the season for our first title in decades will have a massive impact, but under normal circumstances I think you’d see the same number of fans coming as any other club. I expect our attendances to actually be ahead of our final league position regardless this season.

Comparing us to clubs who were winning European Cups a generation ago or teams that have won repeated promotions over the years is apples and oranges IMO.
I’m not comparing us to those clubs. Our fan base dropped off a cliff when we first got relegated to league one. Compare that to at the time Similar sized clubs - Southampton, Leicester and Norwich who all averaged over 20k.

most clubs fans seem to rally around their clubs at their darkest moments - we beat ours.

maybe not 20k but it’s reasonable to expect us to be back up to pre league one levels of 17/18k which is what the club budgeted for

ipswich who have seen similar stagnation even averaged 19.5k in their first league one season

matesx

I’m not comparing us to those clubs. Our fan base dropped off a cliff when we first got relegated to league one. Compare that to at the time Similar sized clubs - Southampton, Leicester and Norwich who all averaged over 20k.

most clubs fans seem to rally around their clubs at their darkest moments - we beat ours.

maybe not 20k but it’s reasonable to expect us to be back up to pre league one levels of 17/18k which is what the club budgeted for

those clubs wernt taken out of their own City by their owners.... twice.... kind of pisses fans off that sort of thing.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

those clubs wernt taken out of their own City by their owners.... twice.... kind of pisses fans off that sort of thing.
Rupert Lowe is probably held in the same regard as SISU.

Abandoning the club doesn’t hurt the owners, either though does it. Only hurts us

we also hadn’t at the time of relegation.

matesx

Rupert Lowe is probably held in the same regard as SISU.

Abandoning the club doesn’t hurt the owners, either though does it. Only hurts us

we also hadn’t at the time of relegation.

yeah fickle fans hurting the club we should have packed out Northampton

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

yeah fickle fans hurting the club we should have packed out Northampton
First season in league one was at the Ricoh. No reason why we couldn’t have had high attendances.

I accept the Northampton and Birmingham reasons even though I don’t agree.

but to drop off in Coventry?

like I said. We’ve budgeted for 17k.We had 45k at Wembley. Northampton was clearly forgotten at that point for 35k of them

Frostie

Agreed but there was plenty of fans all over social media saying they guaranteed we'd have been averaging over 20k in the League One winning season if at the Ricoh (despite average away attendances in L1 only being 800ish).
So shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility now unless of course they were rather disingenuous?

matesx

That 45k was made up of day trippers who had probably never been to a regular game before or since.

For me, we have a home hard core of 8 to 10k and another very fickle 15k who simply cant be arsed most of the time unless we are doing well.

I'd say the 17k budgeted for is about right for a mid table season.

Evo1883

I think this season is unlike any season that we've ever experienced .

There are so many things that will effect attendance and the reality is we just don't know what we will average .

Let's wait and see , we might surprise a few

If it makes people feel better , there are people at my work , bear in mind there's a couple hundred there , that will be going up to games that haven't been for some time , a few who are still going to buy season tickets and some that want match packages ...I've got a good feeling

NortonSkyBlue

Our fans should be chomping at the bit to see us back home and to support our championship winning and consolidation achieving club. Let’s see what happens and hopefully those that have been disenfranchised decide to come back.
We can point fingers at historical issues and the politics of ownership but for the past few years our management and team have given us moments that have been just wonderful and many we have missed seeing in the flesh.
I can’t wait to get going as I will be back permanently to see how it all unfolds.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

That 45k was made up of day trippers who had probably never been to a regular game before or since.

For me, we have a home hard core of 8 to 10k and another very fickle 15k who simply cant be arsed most of the time unless we are doing well.

It’s that 15k I’m talking about. They’re the most vocal ones. I agree 17k is about right.

but as Frostie said, that vocal 15k are the ones saying we’d be averaging 20k in league one.

Evo1883

Also

We are almost at a new beginning really

Had a shocking few decades , not many clubs would maintain support going through that .
There aren't many clubs like coventry City full stop

Northants Sky Blue

I can count the times I've seen 20k genuine City fans at a home game on one hand

Unfortunately our core support base is the St Andrew's attendees plus another 2-3k.

If we get 14k average it will be disappointing but expected

COV

This is about right. Its not that we have less fans but the split between those who go no matter what and those who don't isn't as good

The challenge is to move as many as possible from the fickle category to the hardcore category. Other clubs have done that with success and a lack of drama and crap going on.

Its hard to turn someone from a fickle fan to a hardcore fan when you have been let down for decades and the first time you get a glimpse of success you've got no ground of your own to play in.

AOM

I think this season is unlike any season that we've ever experienced .

There are so many things that will effect attendance and the reality is we just don't know what we will average .

Let's wait and see , we might surprise a few

If it makes people feel better , there are people at my work , bear in mind there's a couple hundred there , that will be going up to games that haven't been for some time , a few who are still going to buy season tickets and some that want match packages ...I've got a good feeling

Crazy we still haven't even been able to celebrate winning League One yet too

fatso

I remember less than 10k at highfield road for top flight football on occasions, so dont expect the lure of the premiership to be THAT strong.
Also highlight packages of premier league games are available on a saturday night on sky, so if you have sky it's understandable that some wont justify the expense of going to games. Especially if you have a partner and kids to pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread