Attendances Next Season (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Pretty sure there were plenty of people on Twitter claiming we’d be getting 25k a week if we returned to the Ricoh…. Thousands of people who said they’d not go to st Andrews but would definitely go to the Ricoh

We’ve had over 25,000 for a league match only 7 times since the Ricoh opened (most of them down to to massive away support)

Grendel

Well late 80s as well. We didn’t have 30k but we compared well to our rivals at that point. Most of them were below us, Wolves, West Brom, Birmingham, Leicester and so on

From memory Leicester were better

CDK

Pretty sure there were plenty of people on Twitter claiming we’d be getting 25k a week if we returned to the Ricoh…. Thousands of people who said they’d not go to st Andrews but would definitely go to the Ricoh
Now is the time for those fans to get off there arses stop talking and start walking down to the CBS as no excuse now.

Legia Sky Blue

No it isn’t it’s about the same 330k for Nottingham 325k for Cov. and they do have two football clubs.

Rubbish, you're just showing your ignorance of the geography of Nottingham. The figure you're quoting is the city of Nottingham only, but the conurbation of Nottingham is double that. By your definition Forest wouldn't count as a Nottingham club anyway as their ground is in Rushcliffe and not the City of Nottingham!!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Now is the time for those fans to get off there arses stop talking and start walking down to the CBS as no excuse now.
Agreed. This was the tongue in cheek point I was making. These people have got to stop their bullshit excuses and get up and support that team

blunted

Tbf population of Nottingham is roughly twice that of Coventry and I imagine there are more Forest than County fans
Think the population of the city of Nottingham is smaller than the city of Coventry. The wider county is twice that of Coventry but if you add in Nuneaton, Kenilworth, Rugby, Bedworth, Leamington, Warwick etc I would imagine they are similar or we are bigger. However we have only one club, they have two. They have been way more successful overall than us, hence the bigger crowds. Same with Derby and Stoke smaller towns but more successful overall.

SlowerThanPlatt

Think the population of the city of Nottingham is smaller than the city of Coventry. The wider county is twice that of Coventry but if you add in Nuneaton, Kenilworth, Rugby, Bedworth, Leamington, Warwick etc I would imagine they are similar or we are bigger. However we have only one club, they have two. They have been way more successful overall than us, hence the bigger crowds. Same with Derby and Stoke smaller towns but more successful overall.

Derby definitely are but Stoke? I’d say we’re on a par. We’ve won a FA Cup to their League Cup, they’ve had more seasons in the top flight but post war about the same.

fatso

Around 17000, due mainly to a number of local games against the Likes of Brum, West Brom, Derby, Forest and Stoke.
Maybe a few more if we are in the top half after xmas and pushing for a play off spot.

blunted

Derby definitely are but Stoke? I’d say we’re on a par. We’ve won a FA Cup to their League Cup, they’ve had more seasons in the top flight but post war about the same.
Stoke sure, meant their recent Prem tenure. Coventry has been punching below its weight in attendances for years. We have an almost identical ABC profile as Leicester but when we were on a par with them, they still got more fans in. Obviously comparing before their recent successes.

slowpoke

Rubbish, you're just showing your ignorance of the geography of Nottingham. The figure you're quoting is the city of Nottingham only, but the conurbation of Nottingham is double that. By your definition Forest wouldn't count as a Nottingham club anyway as their ground is in Rushcliffe and not the City of Nottingham!!
I ain’t fucking interested in the geography of Nottingham someone said Nottingham had double the population of Coventry which is simply not true go on google and it tells you there’s 5000 difference.Actually go on another site and it has Coventry with 50000 more than Nottingham.

COV

I ain’t fucking interested in the geography of Nottingham someone said Nottingham had double the population of Coventry which is simply not true go on google and it tells you there’s 5000 difference.

It actually is true

800,000 people or so in Nottingham unless you don’t count anyone living outside the city centre

usskyblue

conurbation
tenor.gif

slowpoke

It actually is true

800,000 people or so in Nottingham unless you don’t count anyone living outside the city centre
Well if you go on google and punch in population of Nottingham it comes up 331297 (2019) must of had huge surge of migrants in the last two years.

Peter Billing Eyes

Tbf population of Nottingham is roughly twice that of Coventry and I imagine there are more Forest than County fans
The population of the city doesn’t really equate to support, though. The built up conurbation of Nottingham is larger than Coventry, but the city is actually smaller by about 40,000. People quoting Coventry at 325k aren’t using the latest ONS data - it’s in excess of 370k, now. The catchment area is key, and there are likely a lot more people around Nottinghamshire who support Forest than there are people around Warwickshire supporting Coventry. This wouldn‘t represent a million people though as has been suggested, there are only roughly 830,000 people in Nottinghamshire county which includes the city; and because of boundary bleed to the west of the county, some of those will be Derby fans or follow Notts County (or not follow football at all, or maybe ((but less lilkely than around Cov)) support a prem team).
Coventry also has a far more transient and diverse population that wouldn’t necessarily consider Coventry ‘their city’ and a large Irish community who in the main support Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Celtic and a large asian community who without generalising too much would likely pick a prem team to follow . Historically, Coventry has one of the most active local Saturday football leagues in the country and this also impacts attendance. Our realistic support has never matched its potential and that is proven when it comes to big matches and away days when fans do turn up in number.

Last edited:

skybluesam66

The population of the city doesn’t really equate to support, though. The built up conurbation of Nottingham is larger than Coventry, but the city is actually smaller by about 40,000. People quoting Coventry at 325k aren’t using the latest ONS data - it’s in excess of 370k, now. The catchment area is key, and there are likely a lot more people around Nottinghamshire who support Forest than there are people around Warwickshire supporting Coventry. This wouldn‘t represent a million people though as has been suggested, there are only roughly 830,000 people in Nottinghamshire county which includes the city; and because of boundary bleed to the west of the county, some of those will be Derby fans or follow Notts County (or not follow football at all, or maybe ((but less lilkely than around Cov)) support a prem team).
Coventry also has a far more transient and diverse population that wouldn’t necessarily consider Coventry ‘their city’ and a large Irish community who in the main support Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Celtic and a large asian community who without generalising too much would likely pick a prem team to follow . Historically, Coventry has one of the most active local Saturday football leagues in the country and this also impacts attendance. Our realistic support has never matched its potential and that is proven when it comes to big matches and away days when fans do turn up in number.
the big game thing I thing is a bit of a red herring . Many fans of other clubs, go for the day out, many families go along
Most of these would never consider a Tuesday night game in November V Hull

The higher you rise, you get more of the tourist fans. That is why we should be focussing on the Unis etc, as we could sell tickets at maybe £10 each to Uni students, bump the gates up and potentially turn some of them into long term fans

Peter Billing Eyes

the big game thing I thing is a bit of a red herring . Many fans of other clubs, go for the day out, many families go along

The higher you rise, you get more of the tourist fans. That is why we should be focussing on the Unis etc, as we could sell tickets at maybe £10 each to Uni students, bump the gates up and potentially turn some of them into long term fans
Read my post again, I mentioned ‘potential’ support, e.g. fans of other clubs and families?

Peter Billing Eyes

You won’t get long term fans from uni students when Cov and Warwick uni’s have amongst the lowest retention rates for graduates settling in the place they qualified?

slowpoke

Don’t disagree with what you say but I doubt there is another club in the country which over the years has made such crass decisions in relation to its ground that has cost regular support from Jimmy Hills all seater, building the new East Stand and it’s restricted views because of posts, the chaotic move to the Ricoh and its car parking issues poor public transport and then Northampton which more than halved our regular support and just when support was improving getting back to double figure regular support sisu impose St. Andrews on us halving the regular support again. Hopefully it can now rebuild again but it will take time We were getting towards 6000 before covid to treble that is a big ask in my opinion.

skybluelee

Even if only ST holders and away fans turned up to every game we'd average 13k. 17-18k average sounds reasonable overall. More if we exceeded expectations and made a credible play-off push.

slowpoke

Could do not sure what the ST uptake is at the moment don’t think it’s 10k yet but if we can get 50% on top of the STs with walk up that wouldn’t be too bad to start with then it’s down to how we do.

COV

Even if only ST holders and away fans turned up to every game we'd average 13k. 17-18k average sounds reasonable overall. More if we exceeded expectations and made a credible play-off push.

We must be one of the hardest clubs to predict

Doing badly could be 11/12k, go on a run and could be 25k or more

It probably did some real damage that not more fans could get on the bandwagon over the last couple of years

Evo1883

60s and 70s
Coventry Screenshot_20210715-141149_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-141343_Chrome.jpg Leicster

On average until Leicester were took over we had better support in many seasons

Users who are viewing this thread