Attendances Next Season (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why not just give the fans good attacking football?

Any incentive scheme is admitting that you cant give people what they want.

Rolls royce cars, NEVER give discounts or incentives.
You never see Rolex watches at sale prices.

Only sub standard companies need to incentivise and discount.

When a family of 4 pay around £100 for tickets, parking, programs etc for a big game, and then watch total shit, they ain't coming back, not even for a free coffee!

Because those brands work on a very different model. They're low volume, exclusive brands and a product that has complete control over it's quality and customer satisfaction. If Rolls released regularly released shit cars or Rolex shit watches do you think they'd survive long charging massively inflated prices for the brand name? Why don't we just set price at £1m per season, promising to buy an absolute superstar and make it a very, very exclusive club with Michelin-starred food and vintage champagne?

Fact is we can't differentiate ourselves from our competitors in the same way. We can't have the level of control over performance and quality those companies can. If you build a prestige car from great compenents than it will almost certainly perform to the same standard every time you drive it. Even if you buy the very best players it's not guaranteed that team will perform to those exacting high standards every time they step onto a pitch, although it's far more likely to happen regularly.

Plus those elite components are few and far between. In a car or watch the supplier just makes more to the same level of precision and it all slots nicely together as it was designed to. If a competitor wants those same components again they can up production. In football if you want a Messi/Ronaldo you can only buy that one Messi/Ronaldo because no other exists or can be made to order and so the only way you can get it is to pay more than every other competitor, of which there are many. If you can't afford as much as a competitor you have to go to the next, slightly inferior, option and so on until you're top of the bidders at a standard of component you can afford. Even then unlike the car or watch that component may not fit into the design very well for some unknown reason and the component, and thus the entire product, fails.

That's the beauty of my system. If the performance is there there aren't any discounts. If it isn't they are. It's basically setting up a quality charter with your customers cementing an expected level of performance for the cost involved.

Using your example if that family is charged £100 pounds and we play well and win they're more likely to come back but if we don't they're not. Especially at that same price. But reduce that price by a decent chunk as an incentive and some may give it another go. And that money is money you definitely wouldn't have taken at the original price. Plus it gives the team a second chance to impress them and bring them back more often in the future.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

No one is guaranteed a win in any game, but just look at Leeds last season, one week they would win 4-0 the next week they'd lose 4-3
But the fans were flocking in.
Look at Newcastle under Keegan, they won nothing but sold out every week.
We were looking g similar under Richard Money for a while, until the wheels fell off.

But goals are what the fans come to see, not boring 0-0 matches where there's no shot on target.

To have 20+k home fans every home game we would need to be in the Premier league winning most games.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's true, but, Coventry has never been a big rugby supporting city. For donkeys years our own rugby club struggled to get more than a handful of die hards following them.

Wasps would have known this I'm sure, but there eagerness to find a new stadium, and our own council's eagerness to fuck sisu up, made sure the move happened.

It is a bit weird that we're not more of a rugby city really. We've had some great players from the city and certainly when I was at school there was far more a focus on rugby in PE than football. Also being the largest city close to Rugby it should be of interest. In fact it's surprising Rugby itself doesn't have a huge team as you'd have thought someone would have wanted to create one there.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not saying we should be giving tickets away tbf, but repeat something enough and it becomes true.
It's actually nonsense. "I'm not going because they used to give away free tickets and it's a very devalued brand now, I'm staying in the pub instead"

Agreed - think there was an experiment where they had apples (or some such) on display for students to take for free, They all disappeared at first, but soon less and less apples were taken, as the novelty wore off.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Different times yes but you’re still wrong. We’re no Man Utd but we could easily pull in 20k with a half decent season in this division

Only if there's a chance of a Wembley ticket.

Grendel

Because those brands work on a very different model. They're low volume, exclusive brands and a product that has complete control over it's quality and customer satisfaction. If Rolls released regularly released shit cars or Rolex shit watches do you think they'd survive long charging massively inflated prices for the brand name? Why don't we just set price at £1m per season, promising to buy an absolute superstar and make it a very, very exclusive club with Michelin-starred food and vintage champagne?

Fact is we can't differentiate ourselves from our competitors in the same way. We can't have the level of control over performance and quality those companies can. If you build a prestige car from great compenents than it will almost certainly perform to the same standard every time you drive it. Even if you buy the very best players it's not guaranteed that team will perform to those exacting high standards every time they step onto a pitch, although it's far more likely to happen regularly.

Plus those elite components are few and far between. In a car or watch the supplier just makes more to the same level of precision and it all slots nicely together as it was designed to. If a competitor wants those same components again they can up production. In football if you want a Messi/Ronaldo you can only buy that one Messi/Ronaldo because no other exists or can be made to order and so the only way you can get it is to pay more than every other competitor, of which there are many. If you can't afford as much as a competitor you have to go to the next, slightly inferior, option and so on until you're top of the bidders at a standard of component you can afford. Even then unlike the car or watch that component may not fit into the design very well for some unknown reason and the component, and thus the entire product, fails.

That's the beauty of my system. If the performance is there there aren't any discounts. If it isn't they are. It's basically setting up a quality charter with your customers cementing an expected level of performance for the cost involved.

Using your example if that family is charged £100 pounds and we play well and win they're more likely to come back but if we don't they're not. Especially at that same price. But reduce that price by a decent chunk as an incentive and some may give it another go. And that money is money you definitely wouldn't have taken at the original price. Plus it gives the team a second chance to impress them and bring them back more often in the future.

Rolls Royce used to discount the shit out of cars - they once did a bonkers PPC deal that almost bust them. Aston Martin were even worse - they at one point had to discount on wholesale

Your suggestion is on par with the Rolls ppc brainwave

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What are you on about? Why not do a gif of Dolly Parton singing Jolene for more clarity?

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Rolls Royce used to discount the shit out of cars - they once did a bonkers PPC deal that almost bust them. Aston Martin were even worse - they at one point had to discount on wholesale

Your suggestion is on par with the Rolls ppc brainwave

Like I say, different target market. You need the top quality components to build something that can afford to be inflexible on price. We can't afford them. So we're more in the Ford/Peugeot market with a huge number of competitors looking at volume - getting as many customers and market share as you can. And part of getting that is price competition as well as quality (which again they have more control over than a football club would given what you're selling is human-based and thus prone to the variations in performance inherent in that.).

Besides which the brand loyalty is quite different. If people start thinking Peugeots are shit, they might buy a Ford. If a Cov fan thinks the team are shit they're much less likely to decide to go to watch Villa instead. So if a fan is fed up with the performance of the team the relative quality of a competitor is far less important in losing their custom.

So the better the performance on the field the less flexible the club is on price, like a premium product. If the performance drops it becomes a bit more flexible like a mainstream product aiming to retain its customer base and market share.

I'm not saying it's a foolproof scheme and will ultimately rely on the management, coaching and scouting to put a good product on the field but so does any pricing or marketing policy in football. More wins = more fans. This provides a small concession for the times when you inevitably don't get it right to get more of those fans to stay with you spending money. Without that they're far more likely to just walk away and you're going to have to try and obtain that premium product to entice them back without any of their money to do so.

Clarrie Bourton 87

Just bought 4 tickets for me and family for Nottingham game. Can’t wait. Had an awful 18 months so glad to be back doing something I enjoy. Not sure about a season ticket due to finances so probably a game every couple of months for me. PUSB.

Grendel

Just bought 4 tickets for me and family for Nottingham game. Can’t wait. Had an awful 18 months so glad to be back doing something I enjoy. Not sure about a season ticket due to finances so probably a game every couple of months for me. PUSB.

As this was a TV game did the £30 not out you off?

Gleneagles65

What about Norwich who averaged over 20,000 when struggling in the championship
They averaged nearly 25,000 in league one. Back in the early 90s Norwich were barely half filling their ground. It’s a club we could emulate in the near future. Behind the scenes they definitely know what they’re doing.

Users who are viewing this thread