Atmosphere (3 Viewers)

Ash

CITY STATEMENT ON PERSISTENT STANDING

Coventry City have issued the following:

"Following communication from authorities regarding this, Coventry City and the Arena have been asked to remind Sky Blues supporters that persistent standing is not allowed at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

"Persistently standing for the whole match or for long periods is against ground regulations and may affect the enjoyment of the game for other supporters, whose view may be affected, as well as your safety and the safety of others."

Taken from the FB page. Haven’t seen it through any CCFC channels but if genuine, they’re just trying to do everything they can to spoil the atmosphere further!

David O'Day

"Following communication from authorities regarding this, Coventry City and the Arena have been asked to remind Sky Blues supporters that persistent standing is not allowed at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

"Persistently standing for the whole match or for long periods is against ground regulations and may affect the enjoyment of the game for other supporters, whose view may be affected, as well as your safety and the safety of others."

Taken from the FB page. Haven’t seen it through any CCFC channels but if genuine, they’re just trying to do everything they can to spoil the atmosphere further!
they have to say this, they never take any action though

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Will be an instruction from higher up and they have to be seen to be responding to it. I reckon even those higher up are just box ticking the requirements brought in after Hillsborough etc.

Seems odd that other games they're saying they'll allow safe standing while simultaneously cracking down on standing.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've always thought having home fans singing end in a corner is utterly stupid.
Have safe standing in the North Stand to attract more people ( if they really want to stand) in that end and make it our 'end' .

Singers corner only evolved there to wind up the opposition fans and therefore supporters will stand far more because of it. If it was because the view was great there would be a lot of supporters sit at the corner of the north/ east stand but it's empty.

SHUNT31

Have safe standing in the North Stand to attract more people ( if they really want to stand) in that end and make it our 'end' .

Singers corner only evolved there to wind up the opposition fans and therefore supporters will stand far more because of it. If it was because the view was great there would be a lot of supporters sit at the corner of the north/ east stand but it's empty.

In an ideal world, I would like us to move away fans into the corner. Would be easy enough to do as could partition the concourse around block 17 and there’s a concrete wall at block 14 stopping access to south stand.

Have safe standing in the whole of the south stand. Atmosphere would be incredible.

Unfortunately, as tenants, unlikely to be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

View absolutely fine in b16. Much better than when I was in b24.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

In an ideal world, I would like us to move away fans into the corner. Would be easy enough to do as could partition the concourse around block 17 and there’s a concrete wall at block 14 stopping access to south stand.

Have safe standing in the whole of the south stand. Atmosphere would be incredible.

Unfortunately, as tenants, unlikely to be possible.

Don't disagree with this at all . I suppose the problem would be safety issues leaving the ground but , and I could be wrong here, I get the feeling most Cov fans arrive from the Tesco site and so it makes sense for the south stand to be our "end"

SHUNT31

Don't disagree with this at all . I suppose the problem would be safety issues leaving the ground but , and I could be wrong here, I get the feeling most Cov fans arrive from the Tesco site and so it makes sense for the south stand to be our "end"

It’s just such a poorly designed stadium isn’t it

TBF it’s not a problem at Leicester and their stadium is similar to ours in many ways.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

View absolutely fine in b16. Much better than when I was in b24.
Majority of corners throughout the country are not seats that are snapped up first. If the away fans at the CBS were moved to the other end of the ground and the South stand was given over to Cov fans would we simply see a migration of our fans from singers corner to the other end and a ghost stand at the South end ? Perhaps there would . I'm not sure.

Last edited:
The Club seem to have a major communications problem here.
Judging by the censorous tone of the 'Stop Standing' message, there will be further sanctions for us, if it isn't adhered to.
Yet all the players, plus the manager and coaching staff, when interviewed, go to extreme lengths to applaud and encourage the fantastic 'atmosphere' which our fans generate.
Do they not realise that they are giving conflicting messages to the same people?
I maintain that it is very difficult to generate the sort of loud support we do, for long periods of a match, from a sedentary position (that's sat on your a**e - for the Beduff lads).

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Does that apply to the away fans also, they never sit down.

fernandopartridge

The Club seem to have a major communications problem here.
Judging by the censorous tone of the 'Stop Standing' message, there will be further sanctions for us, if it isn't adhered to.
Yet all the players, plus the manager and coaching staff, when interviewed, go to extreme lengths to applaud and encourage the fantastic 'atmosphere' which our fans generate.
Do they not realise that they are giving conflicting messages to the same people?
I maintain that it is very difficult to generate the sort of loud support we do, for long periods of a match, from a sedentary position (that's sat on your a**e - for the Beduff lads).
The club corporately are just doing what they need to do to maintain relationships with the relevant authorities, wouldn't read too much into it

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Could copy and paste the same message everytime this topic is raised:

That’s been said 101 times and the club has tried to push making the North Stand ‘the sky blue wall’ but it will never ever happen. it’s always ended up tinpot with only a handful of people moving over. The myth that you can’t get a good atmosphere at the Arena has finally been cracked by the corner and a big part of that is its proximity to the away fans. It’s also been raised about moving the away fans 101 times which I’m also led to believe will never happen.

SHUNT31

The club corporately are just doing what they need to do to maintain relationships with the relevant authorities, wouldn't read too much into it

Absolutely.

They copy and paste the same message every year. I don’t understand why everyone is making such a big deal of it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hopefully rail seating in that corner is the logical next step for the CBS

As others have said. South stand would be amazing for a terrace (safe standing or whatever). The corner just always felt tinpot to me. We're a big enough club to have a solid hard-core section behind the goal.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd prefer our supporters behind the goals.

But as you say it's grown there because of the proximity to the away fans and a lot will want to remain close to them. But where to move them to? Due to the layout of the arena if you placed away fans in either of the corners then getting out would result in fans from the clubs having to cross each others paths and potential flashpoints so won't happen.

Personally I'm of the belief that the measures create antagonism by giving mouthy bellends a feeling of security and if you reduced the separation it'd improve as they'd more than likely keep quieter, but again that's not going to happen either.

Johhny Blue

We shouldn’t stand for this

pusbccfc

Overcrowded so they have limited capacity there. Brilliant.

Needs sorting.

BigadamL

Wonder if the club are making a fuss about this now because they have plans to put in a safe-standing area and they just need evidence to support the application

Hutch11

I'd prefer our supporters behind the goals.

But as you say it's grown there because of the proximity to the away fans and a lot will want to remain close to them. But where to move them to? Due to the layout of the arena if you placed away fans in either of the corners then getting out would result in fans from the clubs having to cross each others paths and potential flashpoints so won't happen.

Personally I'm of the belief that the measures create antagonism by giving mouthy bellends a feeling of security and if you reduced the separation it'd improve as they'd more than likely keep quieter, but again that's not going to happen either.
We go to away games and apart from the Burnley knob heads have had no trouble leaving grounds at the same time as home supporters
Obviously if you're a mouthy bellend you'll attract the same but the majority just go about their business with no fuss

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We go to away games and apart from the Burnley knob heads have had no trouble leaving grounds at the same time as home supporters
Obviously if you're a mouthy bellend you'll attract the same but the majority just go about their business with no fuss
I agree with you. Unfortunately the safety officers and police don't.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Could copy and paste the same message everytime this topic is raised:

That’s been said 101 times and the club has tried to push making the North Stand ‘the sky blue wall’ but it will never ever happen. it’s always ended up tinpot with only a handful of people moving over. The myth that you can’t get a good atmosphere at the Arena has finally been cracked by the corner and a big part of that is its proximity to the away fans. It’s also been raised about moving the away fans 101 times which I’m also led to believe will never happen.
The situation would change if we were to shift another 4-5k season tickets. Most of those would be in the empty end , no doubt.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

The situation would change if we were to shift another 4-5k season tickets. Most of those would be in the empty end , no doubt.
Still wouldn’t happen as the corner section wouldn’t move and the North Stand would be full but remain fairly quiet. The most vocal section of our support will always move to be near the away end, despite the ‘blue wall’ / free scarf PR the club or anyone else try to put out.

The only way of improving the atmosphere beyond current format would be to move the away fans which as people are sharp to post, is not going to happen. The corner section was brilliant last season for the atmosphere, it can be done.

nunchuckas

I know the situation regarding the club not selling match tickets in the corner anymore, but can anyone remember if there was a limit on season tickets there?

If enough people bought season tickets in the corner could it be full again, or did they actively limit the amount of season tickets to be sold there too?

SHUNT31

I know the situation regarding the club not selling match tickets in the corner anymore, but can anyone remember if there was a limit on season tickets there?

If enough people bought season tickets in the corner could it be full again, or did they actively limit the amount of season tickets to be sold there too?

I tried to buy a season ticket after the season started, none were available in that area. Tried to move it afterwards, spoke to ticket office and was told they couldn’t. I think they’ve limited the number of tickets sold, from my experience.

nunchuckas

I tried to buy a season ticket after the season started, none were available in that area. Tried to move it afterwards, spoke to ticket office and was told they couldn’t. I think they’ve limited the number of tickets sold, from my experience.

That's a joke. If they're not letting people buy season tickets where they want when there's spare seats then that's so wrong, I hope the club push back on this, because it's tinpot from the security chiefs if THAT is their best solution.

Practically admitting they're incompetent at policing a crowd. So diminish the crowd.

pusbccfc

That's a joke. If they're not letting people buy season tickets where they want when there's spare seats then that's so wrong, I hope the club push back on this, because it's tinpot from the security chiefs if THAT is their best solution.

Practically admitting they're incompetent at policing a crowd. So diminish the crowd.

They've limited the corner to approximately 70%.

Sick Boy

Wonder if the club are making a fuss about this now because they have plans to put in a safe-standing area and they just need evidence to support the application
How would the club put in a safe-standing area in someone else’ a stadium?

thekidfromstrettoncamp

"Sedentary" is a word and action I tend to do a lot at my advanced years and as for Beduff lads not knowing it most poster on use the sat on your a.se bit

pusbccfc

How would the club put in a safe-standing area in someone else’ a stadium?

Because it would make no difference to the stadium if block 14/15 were safe standing. Those blocks aren't used for concerts as well. If the club offered to pay, Fraser's would be happy.

pusbccfc

If you ever think the atmosphere at the CBS is bad, it's worth going to Rotherham. Absolutely silent for 99% of the game. One minor attempt at a song all game.

Users who are viewing this thread