Wilson on the move (3 Viewers)

Where will he actually end up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legia Sky Blue

Not sure whether Wilson grew up as a Cov fan or not. My nephew was in academy at same time so might ask him. However, having been at the academy for so long he will definitely have an attachment to the club. Nevertheless I don't see his decision to prefer Newcastle over Villa being anything but a footballing decision. Newcastle are likely to do better next season, and the lure of the Newcastle number 9 shirt offers him hero worship status if he is successful.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I have a different recollection to you. I seem to remember we only got round to offering Westwood a new deal in the final January of his contract. Pretty sure the same happened with Gunnarsson too.

But we initially signed them on reasonably long contracts. No you can argue we didn't try hard enough to get them to resign until it was too late (I was of the impression we first began trying to convince them to stay much earlier than that.

The point stated was that we signed these players and only had them on short contracts - that isn't correct. Gunnarsson and Westwood signed initial three year contracts, and I think Dann and Fox did too (or at least with options to extend them to that amount of time or longer). Eastwood signed a four year contract.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I really doubt Wilson would be making a decision based upon local rivalries. He'll be doing it based on length of contract, wages and likelihood of remaining a PL club to prevent the same upheaval he's going through now. Had B'mouth stayed up he'd have stayed there.

One thing I would suggest he be wary of is the massive expectations of the Geordies. If you're not scoring every game (and not a local) they can get irate and impatient very quickly. Wilson seems to have purple patches and droughts so he could go from flavour of the month to boo boy pretty quickly.

Sky Blue Harry H

Hopefully the deal gets done soon. So if we do get some £ to spend we have time to spend it

It's only cashflow! You could argue we didn't have the £££s to buy Hamer or Walker (as we probably didn;t have £2m in the bank at the time). If we did want to buy another player - say for £500k, we only have to have the cash needed to pay a percentage of it up front, depending on the payment schedule. The same as we will probably receive the 15% of 17m or whatever over an agreed schedule (maybe in line with Newcastle's payments - depends what was in our agreement with Bournemouth) At the end of the day it doesn't really matter - what matters is whether your bank (SISU !) will allow you to spend against your bank balance.

shmmeee

It's only cashflow! You could argue we didn't have the £££s to buy Hamer or Walker (as we probably didn;t have £2m in the bank at the time). If we did want to buy another player - say for £500k, we only have to have the cash needed to pay a percentage of it up front, depending on the payment schedule. The same as we will probably receive the 15% of 17m or whatever over an agreed schedule (maybe in line with Newcastle's payments - depends what was in our agreement with Bournemouth) At the end of the day it doesn't really matter - what matters is whether your bank (SISU !) will allow you to spend against your bank balance.

There’s no way Robins net spend is positive. McCallum will have paid for Hamer and probably Hilßner as well. Walker was less than a million, and our wages won’t be massive compared to last year, maybe an extra £3m/yr which would be covered by promotion.

Sky Blue Harry H

There’s no way Robins net spend is positive. McCallum will have paid for Hamer and probably Hilßner as well. Walker was less than a million, and our wages won’t be massive compared to last year, maybe an extra £3m/yr which would be covered by promotion.

I forgot to factor in loss of income re last season: BCD / ticket sales this season. It depends what we are measuring against, but still suspect that a lot of any CW income will go towards balancing the books - though we'll never know (figure undisclosed!!)

SlowerThanPlatt

At the risk of repetition, a club in our financial situation, that is rising quite successfully, and turning over players quite frequently (this year's likely line up could have up to 4-5 newcomers) ....does not need to be encumbered with long term contracts in the vague hope there will be a sell on. The guys to lock in are the promising youngsters like Bapaga.

Biamou is a case in point. How much better if we had been able just to release him and say thank you.
At the risk of repetition, a club in our financial situation, that is rising quite successfully, and turning over players quite frequently (this year's likely line up could have up to 4-5 newcomers) ....does not need to be encumbered with long term contracts in the vague hope there will be a sell on. The guys to lock in are the promising youngsters like Bapaga.

Biamou is a case in point. How much better if we had been able just to release him and say thank you.

How does it make the club worse off? Kastaneer was on a three year deal and still has takers

Hadji's_Goatee

I agree if you could get Walsh then get him but this is the strongest squad we’ve started a season with in a long time. I don’t want us to pay good money for someone to sit on the bench. Was it Robins that said in League Two time that you can only spend your pound once. Injuries and lack of form will come in midway through the window and we can improve then.
I agree - I can’t remember a stronger, more well balanced squad in my living memory. Especially with a clear playing identity to boot.

Good point re; the ‘pound’.

The recruitment has been class. Good to see it being recognised on the highlights show last night.

If there is more to come in, they’re surely gonna be improvements.

NorthernWisdom

With only 12 months left on the contract it’s always a risk a good player will wait it out to go on a free and get a better deal on wages. We should’ve done it after the first season or 18 months point, we all knew he was good at that point
Keiron Westwood said:
Six months ago I would have signed a new deal, 12 months ago I was asking for a new deal, and the year before that they promised me a new deal but nothing ever materialised and I don't know why.

Gibbo

How does it make the club worse off? Kastaneer was on a three year deal and still has takers
Kasteneer has not yet been offloaded yet as far as I'm aware, nor Biamou. Only Hiwula who fortunately was on a 2 year deal, has been easily shot of.

City's continual improvement under Robins has not been built on the mantra of stability within the squad. Quite the reverse, there has been a lot of churn - only Kelly, Shipley, Biamou and Hyam from L.2. Is only Mason an aquisition specifically for season 2018-2019 still with us? Ogogo, Brown etc rid of at the end of 2 years for instance

Once players are no longer part of the manager's thinking even for the subs bench, you want to be rid of them. Better quality in, lower quality out, but the squad stays the same size. Any acquisition has risk - best to insure against failure. Give the longer contracts to the promising youth and development players who are cheap on the wages bill

SlowerThanPlatt

Kasteneer has not yet been offloaded yet as far as I'm aware, nor Biamou. Only Hiwula who fortunately was on a 2 year deal, has been easily shot of.

City's continual improvement under Robins has not been built on the mantra of stability within the squad. Quite the reverse, there has been a lot of churn - only Kelly, Shipley, Biamou and Hyam from L.2. Is only Mason an aquisition specifically for season 2018-2019 still with us? Ogogo, Brown etc rid of at the end of 2 years for instance

Once players are no longer part of the manager's thinking even for the subs bench, you want to be rid of them. Better quality in, lower quality out, but the squad stays the same size. Any acquisition has risk - best to insure against failure. Give the longer contracts to the promising youth and development players who are cheap on the wages bill

Which of the players who have been given lengthy contracts have we struggled to get rid of? Ogogo went in Jan of the season he signed didn’t he?

mark82

Hyam, Rose & Kelly OOC this year. Guess we'll see how they adjust. Wouldn't be surprised if Dabo got an extension at some point during the season.

Sky Blue 1987

Not sure whether Wilson grew up as a Cov fan or not. My nephew was in academy at same time so might ask him. However, having been at the academy for so long he will definitely have an attachment to the club. Nevertheless I don't see his decision to prefer Newcastle over Villa being anything but a footballing decision. Newcastle are likely to do better next season, and the lure of the Newcastle number 9 shirt offers him hero worship status if he is successful.
I'm mates with his cousin and sure he has always been a spurs fan, I've messaged asking so I'll let u know

I really doubt Wilson would be making a decision based upon local rivalries. He'll be doing it based on length of contract, wages and likelihood of remaining a PL club to prevent the same upheaval he's going through now. Had B'mouth stayed up he'd have stayed there.

One thing I would suggest he be wary of is the massive expectations of the Geordies. If you're not scoring every game (and not a local) they can get irate and impatient very quickly. Wilson seems to have purple patches and droughts so he could go from flavour of the month to boo boy pretty quickly.

Same could be said for any club, I remember McNulty and Biamou getting loads of stick early on in the L2 season and people calling for Ponticelli to be first choice striker

junglej13

Dont see the huge issue with Rose's contract. Seems very much like Westbrooke to me and I suspect a lot of the teams reportedly sniffing round him are of his agents making. He has a year left on his contract and the club will have a year option beyond that.

SlowerThanPlatt

Dont see the huge issue with Rose's contract. Seems very much like Westbrooke to me and I suspect a lot of the teams reportedly sniffing round him are of his agents making. He has a year left on his contract and the club will have a year option beyond that.

Most likely, you can usually tell as it’s done through a website like Football Insider and not someone close to either club

skyblueelephant76

Hyam has a year option but there has been no confirmation that Rose does.

Gibbo

That should say "year" not "years".

Everybody has their own view on this one. And we don't know what the Club had to do to to get rid of players like Ogogo, JCH and Westbrooke. We've been lucky that Widdrington went to Bristol

The heart of it is tho that there is no such thing as a "settled team" or "Best eleven" for much longer than 4-6 months, certainly well less than a season. So the risk from longer contracts is pretty obvious.

Legia Sky Blue

..... but when the ethos of your club is to buy young players to develop and sell on at a profit in order to sustain itself, you have to give those players longer contracts to maximise their development and their value. If you trust your judgement in the market 3 years is the right way to go.

Magwitch

I would think most players contracts have that year option nowadays makes sense. Somewhere between 2&3 years extensions get discussed. Keeps their value up. It is a business aswell as a football club.

Users who are viewing this thread