Whiff of Desperation, something happening? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Someone posted that about sillett?!?!
If I remember he said he didn't agree with a boycott and got abuse.

Strange really, jhw gave an interview a couple of months ago saying why they didn't go to games. Maybe they realised the reason they gave was made up. Sack whoever briefed them ;)

Nick

Administrator
I do like how its left to the parody accounts to defend that nonsense. Its quite funny though as he's trying to say they are being briefed by fisher for commenting on it.

Some of them have commented in the past about wanting to abandon games!

Don't think it's been thought through properly

Nick

Administrator
The telegraph have started early this morning.

They are either very desperate or up to something.

OffenhamSkyBlue

SkyBlueCRJ

"confidential council document from 2014, now released to the public" ... after a Freedom of Information request by Les Reid at the Cov Observer - proper investigative journalism!
And now the Telegraph are using that to defend the Council's stance against SISU, as they always have!! Scandalous!

CT won't apply pressure to Wasps or CCC directly because they want to have a good working relationship with them in the future. So in all fairness to them their hands are tied.

Nick

Administrator
CT won't apply pressure to Wasps or CCC directly because they want to have a good working relationship with them in the future. So in all fairness to them their hands are tied.

Bad times when the local paper can't pressure the council isn't it?

It's bullshit really. I hope they go bust along with SISU, Wasps and the councillors.

It's not just the CCFC stuff, have a look about the parking ticket stuff too! It's no wonder they can get away with what they want when they have everybody in their pocket.

SkyBlueCRJ

Bad times when the local paper can't pressure the council isn't it?

It's bullshit really. I hope they go bust along with SISU, Wasps and the councillors.

Unfortunately with the press in such a decline and 'newsworthy' local stories hard to come by due to cuts in staff that's the way of the world. The CT's circulation has dropped dramatically over the last few decades so they rely on good relationships with the CCC, Wasps etc. to keep their audience happy and their content rolling. This is why Cov Live/Birmingham Live has emerged, to effectively try and save local journalism. Ironically it hasn't at all because it's starting to make the whole system unreliable but that's just how things are going now.

OffenhamSkyBlue

That's not what i want from a local newspaper. I want my elected representatives to be held to account. I don't give a shit what t heir future relationship is like - they make it all up or lift it off other sites anyway!

Nick

Administrator
Unfortunately with the press in such a decline and 'newsworthy' local stories hard to come by due to cuts in staff that's the way of the world. The CT's circulation has dropped dramatically over the last few decades so they rely on good relationships with the CCC, Wasps etc. to keep their audience happy and their content rolling. This is why Cov Live/Birmingham Live has emerged, to effectively try and save local journalism. Ironically it hasn't at all because it's starting to make the whole system unreliable but that's just how things are going now.

Save Journalism?

giphy.gif

Lets face it, they are a cheaper version or a PR / SEO company.

SkyBlueCRJ

That's not what i want from a local newspaper. I want my elected representatives to be held to account. I don't give a shit what t heir future relationship is like - they make it all up or lift it off other sites anyway!

It's not what I want either but that's the state of modern journalism at the moment. They're just trying to survive just as we are. Unfortunately in the modern day you can't rely on anyone to give you an outstretched arm, as that'll only come with a price.

Nick

Administrator
It's not what I want either but that's the state of modern journalism at the moment. They're just trying to survive just as we are. Unfortunately in the modern day you can't rely on anyone to give you an outstretched arm, as that'll only come with a price.

Yeah, we saw that when I asked them to help feature the Jimmy Hill Legacy Fund thing to raise money and they flat out refused.. ;)

SkyBlueCRJ

Save Journalism?

giphy.gif

Lets face it, they are a cheaper version or a PR / SEO company.

It's ridiculous but from having worked in PR for a number of years and speaking to countless journalists this is the way of the world. From people I've spoken to though the majority don't like it but that's the direction modern journalism is going unfortunately.

Nick

Administrator
It's ridiculous but from having worked in PR for a number of years and speaking to countless journalists this is the way of the world. From people I've spoken to though the majority don't like it but that's the direction modern journalism is going unfortunately.

It isn't journalism, it's PR and marketing.

SkyBlueCRJ

It isn't journalism, it's PR and marketing.

Journalism has been like that for years though. Look at the majority of stories regarding charities, businesses etc. in the CT, most will come from a regional PR company who work on behalf of such clients. Do people genuinely think a local newspaper has the resources to go out and find such stories themselves?

Nick

Administrator
Journalism has been like that for years though. Look at the majority of stories regarding charities, businesses etc. in the CT, most will come from a regional PR company who work on behalf of such clients. Do people genuinely think a local newspaper has the resources to go out and find such stories themselves?

So they aren't journalists and it isn't a newspaper. It is business directory.

hotrod

If people read the article rather than just the headline it looks worse on the council as it basically translates to the club saying it needs stadium ownership to survive and the council then selling it to Wasps.

But in the mean time we are not paying our rent,moving out of the City and have no intention of staying at the Ricoh as we are building a new stadium.

Regards.

SkyBlueCRJ

So they aren't journalists and it isn't a newspaper. It is business directory.

Well they are, they're just not traditional journalists as you understand them. They still do everything journalists do, but there's just more to it now that news has shifted further from print to online. But yeah I mean I supposed they're not much different to a local business publication really. Just with a few half interesting local news stories crammed in between advertorials and what you consider to be 'marketing' features, to fill the void.

Nick

Administrator
Well they are, they're just not traditional journalists as you understand them. They still do everything journalists do, but there's just more to it now that news has shifted further from print to online. But yeah I mean I supposed they're not much different to a local business publication really. Just with a few half interesting local news stories crammed in between advertorials and what you consider to be 'marketing' features, to fill the void.

Do they do everything journalists do? It's the same as Lad Bible isn't journalism.

It's content writing.

SkyBlueCRJ

Do they do everything journalists do? It's the same as Lad Bible isn't journalism.

It's content writing.

No offence Nick but you're trying to argue with something that I deal with a daily basis and you're generalising the entire institution based on the content of the CT. Which is utterly ridiculous

Nick

Administrator
No offence Nick but you're trying to argue with something that I deal with a daily basis and you're generalising the entire institution based on the content of the CT. Which is utterly ridiculous

Erm, isn't this about the CT / desperation?

I am sure there are still some decent journalists around, not content writers.

You are right though, it is utterly ridiculous when normal fans know more about what's going on than "journalists" who write articles "informing" others.... It was only the other day the CET editor was in overdrive but seemed to struggle with the basics.

That's the issue when they just pipe up when requested to.

SkyBlueCRJ

Erm, isn't this about the CT / desperation?

I am sure there are still some decent journalists around, not content writers.

You are right though, it is utterly ridiculous....

It is but claiming CT journalists aren't proper journalists just isn't correct. It lies in the camp of the news editors to make the decisions of what goes out and what doesn't so you can't blame the journalists for what goes to print or what gets published online. So saying 'they aren't journalists/it isn't a newspaper' is ridiculous because the majority of regional newspapers throughout the country follow a similar mould. You could be right saying there's a hidden agenda with their stories, but realistically IMO they've jumped on 'Save our Sky Blues' because it generates engagement, especially online.

It's a shame that this is the direction it's going in but this is how journalism is evolving. You can't just say it isn't journalism just because you don't like it.

Nick

Administrator
It is but claiming CT journalists aren't proper journalists just isn't correct. It lies in the camp of the news editors to make the decisions of what goes out and what doesn't so you can't blame the journalists for what goes to print or what gets published online. So saying 'they aren't journalists/it isn't a newspaper' is ridiculous because the majority of regional newspapers throughout the country follow a similar mould. You could be right saying there's a hidden agenda with their stories, but realistically IMO they've jumped on 'Save our Sky Blues' because it generates engagement, especially online.

It's a shame that this is the direction it's going in but this is how journalism is evolving. You can't just say it isn't journalism just because you don't like it.

It is correct, bar Ben who does crime stuff there aren't many actual journalists are there? They are content writers.

I say it isn't journalism because it is content writing or copy and pasting from a PR company.

Maybe it made me a journalist about 10-15 years ago when I used to employ people to churn out loads of shite articles just for SEO?

Skyblueweeman

Do people genuinely think a local newspaper has the resources to go out and find such stories themselves?

They've had time to try and disparage SISU (and very much rightly so) but don't seem to have time/resource to look into any issues at CCC/Wasps due to relationships?

Shocking way to conduct themselves.

Hush money involved????

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
They've had time to try and disparage SISU (and very much rightly so) but don't seem to have time/resource to look into any issues at CCC/Wasps due to relationships?

Shocking way to conduct themselves.

Hush money involved????

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I doubt it is a brown envelope.

More of a "look how much we spend with you" reminder.

SkyBlueCRJ

It is correct, bar Ben who does crime stuff there aren't many actual journalists are there? They are content writers.

I say it isn't journalism because it is content writing or copy and pasting from a PR company.

Maybe it made me a journalist about 10-15 years ago when I used to employ people to churn out loads of shite articles just for SEO?

It isn't correct Nick and I'm not naming names on a forum as it's hardly professional. I haven't had dealings with them personally but I guarantee there are content writers there. Most if not every regional newspaper will have content writers to condense press releases. With the amount of cuts made this is their only option to avoid going bust as good journalists now are an expensive luxury.

You're right though, SEO and content writing effectively is a part of what the CT is evolving into. When you drop from about a 100,000 circulation to 18,000 or so now in around a 30 year period you have to take whatever lifeline that gets thrown to you though. Which is why there have been significant cuts, which has in turn given rise to content writers. But I'm sorry but it isn't correct saying there are no journalists when I've had dealings with several who are still there.

What you will see in the not so distant future at newspapers are content writers and very very few journalists. So what you think is unreliable now will seem 100% authentic in comparison to what will be reported in 10-15 years.

Anyway back to my original point, the decline of the CT IMO is why pressure is rarely directly applied to CCC as why would they bite off on of the hands that feeds them to attempt to join an blame-game campaign that would only serve to stir unrest and not actually solve anything for the club.

Nick

Administrator
It isn't correct Nick and I'm not naming names on a forum as it's hardly professional. I haven't had dealings with them personally but I guarantee there are content writers there. Most if not every regional newspaper will have content writers to condense press releases. With the amount of cuts made this is their only option to avoid going bust as good journalists now are an expensive luxury.

You're right though, SEO and content writing effectively is a part of what the CT is evolving into. When you drop from about a 100,000 circulation to 18,000 or so now in around a 30 year period you have to take whatever lifeline that gets thrown to you though. Which is why there have been significant cuts, which has in turn given rise to content writers. But I'm sorry but it isn't correct saying there are no journalists when I've had dealings with several who are still there.

What you will see in the not so distant future at newspapers are content writers and very very few journalists. So what you think is unreliable now will seem 100% authentic in comparison to what will be reported in 10-15 years.

Anyway back to my original point, the decline of the CT IMO is why pressure is rarely directly applied to CCC as why would they bite off on of the hands that feeds them to attempt to join an blame-game campaign that would only serve to stir unrest and not actually solve anything for the club.

So why do they try to stir unrest for the club then without solving anything?

Users who are viewing this thread