Which classic car would you have? (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Sick Boy

Sierra Cosworth.

nintchdbpict000403447962.jpg
My girlfriend’s dad has just bought one of these, I think it’s his 16th or 17th car.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just dug out a few of pics of my old motors. Apart from the ones I've already listed, these are......(in no particular order, and parked outside my old house in Tile Hill......)
Vauxhall Carlton.jpg
Vauxhall Carlton 2.0
Frontera.jpg
Vauxhall Frontera
Toyota Rav 4.jpg
Toyota Rav4
Vectra 2.2.jpg
Vauxhall Vectra 2.2
Volvo 940.jpg
Volvo 940
Can't you tell I used to love Vauxhalls!

Kneeza

Surts was an incredible rider, and I used to absolutely love the sound of the MV4s (and even 3s). Spine-tingling.

Rich

Is this a classic yet? I loved this car, it was the 2.0TSpark and it was a dream.

I sold it and got the 2.5V6 in the pearlescent Blue with a GT body kit on it. It was nice and all but didn't hold a candle to this one.

1624879605602.png

1624879512510.png

Kneeza

Weren't they banned for being too noisy?
Not to my knowledge. They were getting steadily less competitive against (in particular) the Suzuki RG500, and the Yamaha, until in about '75 or so they didn't stand a chance against the strokers and it all came to an end.
Shame, as that 'noise' was music to most racegoers ears, and we've not seen the likes of Ago and Read howling round Mallory and Brands since.

Rich

The 156 was such a pretty car. A classic in my eyes.

Where was it parked up? Looks familiar.

That's on the Jock in Beduth.

It was a lovely car to look at and drive. Those back doors with no handles were so clean.

ovduk78

Not to my knowledge. They were getting steadily less competitive against (in particular) the Suzuki RG500, and the Yamaha, until in about '75 or so they didn't stand a chance against the strokers and it all came to an end.
Shame, as that 'noise' was music to most racegoers ears, and we've not seen the likes of Ago and Read howling round Mallory and Brands since.
I saw them at Donington at a Mike Hailwood day and they sounded beautiful and not as loud as his 6 cyclinder Honda 250 that revved to around 20,000 rpm!

Kneeza

That's on the Jock in Beduth.

It was a lovely car to look at and drive. Those back doors with no handles were so clean.
Not where I thought then.
Yes, I loved the rear door handle treatment. I've no idea why it's not a common thing now on four-door sedans. Shame.

Kneeza

I saw them at Donington at a Mike Hailwood day and they sounded beautiful and not as loud as his 6 cyclinder Honda 250 that revved to around 20,000 rpm!
The six was something else.
Have you seen Allen Millyard's hand-built tribute? Stunning. What that boy can do with a hacksaw and welding kit is verging on sorcery.

Mcbean

The six was something else.
Have you seen Allen Millyard's hand-built tribute? Stunning. What that boy can do with a hacksaw and welding kit is verging on sorcery.
Allen is a master engineer - incredibly nice chap as well - met him down the Classic hub at Bibury - i mean who else would put a V10 viper engine in a motorcycle

Attachments

• 2019-05-05 11.16.06.jpg
    2019-05-05 11.16.06.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5

Kneeza

Not my favourite of his. Huge in every way, but just doesn't look right (to my eyes).
The Flying Millyard is a fairly incredible piece of engineering though, but just looks unwieldy - if brilliant.
However, I just love his reworks of Z1s and so on. Perfect-looking bikes in their day (even though I could never afford one at the time) wonderfully rethought.
Just love 'em.
AM is a feckin' God.

Kneeza

Incidentally, a lad that worked for me at Browns Lane about 12 or 13 years ago had a Viper. Bloody thing shook the car park.
He's also recently finished a from-scratch build of a 6R4 replica which he has just started hillclimbing. No expense spared on it too, but the first three or four times out resulted in fails, but he managed a finish last weekend.
Quite fancy a go on that!

Kneeza

Last weekend - hoping this'll work. His missus posted it so I guess it depends if her fb feed is 'open' to all...

duffer

Was on walkabout yesterday when I spied this in an art gallery - nice for an inside piece - ex John Surtees MV 500 -4 racer - 450k that will do nicely 😀View attachment 20633View attachment 20634View attachment 20635

Twin-shock, drum brakes, just like my first big bike, a Honda 350K4. Though possibly a little faster, and with a more capable rider. :)

I wish I still had that bike... I do like those classic mid-late 70s unfaired bikes. Simple, and if you had a Triumph, always full of brand new oil by dint of the fact that the old stuff leaked out of them so quickly. :)

ovduk78

1624958731155.png

Aprilia RS250, the swingarm was beautiful. My brother had the RGV250 which had the same engine, I know which one I'd have had but I had a CBR600 at the time. Went out on the RGV when my brother was on holiday, god it was a thirsty thing. He rode it to Le Mans and was knackered when he got there unlike the rest of us on our more sensible Honda's

ovduk78

Twin-shock, drum brakes, just like my first big bike, a Honda 350K4. Though possibly a little faster, and with a more capable rider. :)

I wish I still had that bike... I do like those classic mid-late 70s unfaired bikes. Simple, and if you had a Triumph, always full of brand new oil by dint of the fact that the old stuff leaked out of them so quickly. :)
1624959166901.png

Was it like this duffer or the more sensible road version? 😉

Mcbean

and of course you generally stinked of piss ;) i still have two Triumphs one dry as a bone but the other a veritable sieve still it was built in 57

Kneeza

My first non-learner was a '73 Yam RD350 bought new from Beauchamp Motors in Leam. Went like a scalded cat, but still tractable for two-up camping touring, which I did a lot of.
All the Triumphs I owned, a 350 Twenty One, a 500 Tiger 100, and a 750 T140v Bonnie were all oil-tight, and also never had any problems with the Lucas electrics, thus neatly sidestepping the usual cliches.

skybluetony176

I’ve had a couple of 400fours, both varnish blue. Missed the first one that much after I sold it I brought it back. Only brought it for a winter bike but loved riding it. Sounded great, especially for a 400cc and just a great all round bike. Second one I owned was the mutts. The guy who I brought it off had it from the 70’s when he was very young and had done everything to it, Dresden swingarm, yoshi exhaust, rear sets, cafe bars, alloy wheels etc. Still regret selling it but it did go home to Japan though. The guy that brought it had a business importing grey imports from Japan and exporting classic Japanese bikes back to Japan where there’s apparently a massive market for them.

Users who are viewing this thread