Which classic car would you have? (2 Viewers)

duffer

View attachment 20659

Was it like this duffer or the more sensible road version? 😉

Ha. Given my riding ability, a properly fast bike would be a waste of time. Mine was the mundane road one, more popular as a 250. Lovely looking thing though, in my opinion, and plenty quick enough for me.

I always wanted a 400/4 but they were out of my price range. I might mock them, but I loved the 70s Triumphs too. I'm very jealous of a few of the posters here. :)

Kneeza

I’ve had a couple of 400fours, both varnish blue. Missed the first one that much after I sold it I brought it back. Only brought it for a winter bike but loved riding it. Sounded great, especially for a 400cc and just a great all round bike. Second one I owned was the mutts. The guy who I brought it off had it from the 70’s when he was very young and had done everything to it, Dresden swingarm, yoshi exhaust, rear sets, cafe bars, alloy wheels etc. Still regret selling it but it did go home to Japan though. The guy that brought it had a business importing grey imports from Japan and exporting classic Japanese bikes back to Japan where there’s apparently a massive market for them.
I was never a great Honda fan, though I did have a very pretty CB550F2, and a less pretty CB750K7 (the last version of the original sohc4). I also had a CB400N Superdream twin for a very short while, but the less said about that the better.

duffer

I was never a great Honda fan, though I did have a very pretty CB550F2, and a less pretty CB750K7 (the last version of the original sohc4). I also had a CB400N Superdream twin for a very short while, but the less said about that the better.

I might be the only person on the planet who quite liked Superdreams (maybe it was just the font) :), the 400s were pretty rare weren't they?

Kneeza

I might be the only person on the planet who quite liked Superdreams (maybe it was just the font) :), the 400s were pretty rare weren't they?
The 400s were rarer than the 250s as the latter were bought in numbers as a learner bike (at least pre-83 when the law changed to permit 125cc max).
They were pretty hateful tbh. Poorly designed and noisy top end too. Even after having the cams reprofiled it rattled. Sold it and bought an old BMW R60/7, which was a badly underpowered sweetheart!

ovduk78

They were up against the 2 stroke offerings from Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawasaki that seemed to be a lot more popular. Honda liked 4 strokes, I think even the SS50 was one, and I can't remember if they made a 2 stroke at that time.

I am envious of those of you that owned the CB350 or the 400/4, 2 real classics but they were a bit before my time but even then when I was old enough I had an XS400 instead of an RD350!

Mcbean

They were up against the 2 stroke offerings from Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawasaki that seemed to be a lot more popular. Honda liked 4 strokes, I think even the SS50 was one, and I can't remember if they made a 2 stroke at that time.

I am envious of those of you that owned the CB350 or the 400/4, 2 real classics but they were a bit before my time but even then when I was old enough I had an XS400 instead of an RD350!
The SS50 was dog slow - i had one - could'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding - was continually getting left behind and rubbish for taking the girlfriend but it was cheap and i visited a lot of girls and sorry mum i didnt make it back sometimes - would have taken too long

ovduk78

The SS50 was dog slow - i had one - could'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding - was continually getting left behind and rubbish for taking the girlfriend but it was cheap and i visited a lot of girls and sorry mum i didnt make it back sometimes - would have taken too long
I had an FS1E and had a friend with an AP50 and one with an SS50. We swapped bikes 1 day & it was painfully slow, not sure if it even hit 40. Maybe the girls took pity on you 😉

Me and my brother always had bikes and I found out after my mum had died that she could never get to sleep until we were both back home.

skybluetony176

I had an FS1E and had a friend with an AP50 and one with an SS50. We swapped bikes 1 day & it was painfully slow, not sure if it even hit 40. Maybe the girls took pity on you 😉

Me and my brother always had bikes and I found out after my mum had died that she could never get to sleep until we were both back home.
My mum was the same when I was living at home. Couldn’t get to sleep until she heard my bike pull up.

skybluetony176

The 400four was a real smooth torque engine, pulled all through the Rev range which is why I think I liked them so much. Only ever rode a super dream once when I had a go on my mates. From what I remember they were really lumpy and took some winding up.

duffer

I was dead jealous of my mates scooting about on mopeds like 'fizzers' at 16 (though undoubtedly I'd have killed myself).

I had to wait to buy my first big bike, a Honda C90!

Not exactly classy, but completely indestructible. I dropped it more times than I can remember (including within ten minutes of first getting on it), used it as a dirt bike (two up obviously), and generally hammered it everywhere without any maintenance whatsover. It looked a right state, and I'd get pulled over on a weekly basis and given a producer.

I graduated from that onto an MZ125, the one with the 'camel' tank and one key that fitted every other MZ ever made. Amazingly, that thing could really handle, in the dry at least, in the wet the everlasting Russian tyres weren't exactly grippy! :)

ovduk78

I was dead jealous of my mates scooting about on mopeds like 'fizzers' at 16 (though undoubtedly I'd have killed myself).

I had to wait to bit my first big bike, a Honda C90!

Not exactly classy, but completely indestructible. I dropped it more times than I can remember (including within ten minutes of first getting on it), used it as a dirt bike (two up obviously), and generally hammered it everywhere without any maintenance whatsover. It looked a right state, and I'd get pulled over on a weekly basis and given a producer.

I graduated from that onto an MZ125, the one with the 'camel' tank and one key that fitted every other MZ ever made. Amazingly, that thing could really handle, in the dry at least, in the wet the everlasting Russian tyres weren't exactly grippy! :)
Jesus, a C90 followed by and MZ, you had a tough start! I don't know what I'd think now of the tyres we had, skinny things with basic tread patterns and the Japanese OE ones were ok until it rained, when they did get changed for Avons or Dunlops they were ok but not a patch on the tyres of today.

Mcbean

Jesus, a C90 followed by and MZ, you had a tough start! I don't know what I'd think now of the tyres we had, skinny things with basic tread patterns and the Japanese OE ones were ok until it rained, when they did get changed for Avons or Dunlops they were ok but not a patch on the tyres of today.
I had my first crash lowsiding the SS50 in the rain when the front washed out - no way it had enough power to high side - kicked the pedal back into shape and off I went

D

Deleted member 4439

image.jpg

my pre-16 bike (not actual one), before graduating to a fizzie killer, an AP50.

I used to lust over the superdreams - interesting to read that in fact they were just a bit rubbish.

I've now reached that age and bike where all riders go to die

IMG_2334.JPG

Mcbean

i went from the sublime SS50 to the ridiculous with a Hayabusa ( with a lot in between ) - was either going early or lose my license so got a Hinckley Exploader which i love and will go anywhere on when allowed ;) GS looks quite sexy in black but i am a three cylinder fan

D

Deleted member 4439

i went from the sublime SS50 to the ridiculous with a Hayabusa ( with a lot in between ) - was either going early or lose my license so got a Hinckley Exploader which i love and will go anywhere on when allowed ;) GS looks quite sexy in black but i am a three cylinder fan

Love 3 cylinders myself - free-revving but you can get a good torque out of them as well. I only have a room in the garage for a couple of bikes but I'd quite like any of the Triumph triples (or Yamis, I expect). But equally I'm a sucker for low-down torque, and the old boxer does that.

duffer

View attachment 20679

my pre-16 bike (not actual one), before graduating to a fizzie killer, an AP50.

I used to lust over the superdreams - interesting to read that in fact they were just a bit rubbish.

I've now reached that age and bike where all riders go to die

View attachment 20680

Proper moped, with pedals and a push bike seat and everything, love it!

The beemer is a lovely looking thing too, but it looks like I'd need a step-ladder to get on it. :) Those adventure bikes are decent sized bits of kit.

I've got an old Suzuki dirt bike to potter around on these days, 250cc, 70mph tops, but it feels like going back to my early days of riding (that is, it feels faster than it really is and I'm never quite sure where I'll end up stranded!).

D

Deleted member 4439

Proper moped, with pedals and a push bike seat and everything, love it!

The beemer is a lovely looking thing too, but it looks like I'd need a step-ladder to get on it. :) Those adventure bikes are decent sized bits of kit.

I've got an old Suzuki dirt bike to potter around on these days, 250cc, 70mph tops, but it feels like going back to my early days of riding (that is, it feels faster than it really is and I'm never quite sure where I'll end up stranded!).

What dirt bike have you got? I'd love an old 2S XT250. I just have the crf250l. Bit heavy and leaden, but gets me around some gravel roads where I'd hesitate to take the GS. The latter is a big old beast but is such a comfortable and sure-footed bike to ride.

edit - I seem to recall that I paid 12 quid for the old (beat-up) Raleigh. We rode it around some local field. I seem to recall that the electrics caught fire, and that was that!

ovduk78

Love 3 cylinders myself - free-revving but you can get a good torque out of them as well. I only have a room in the garage for a couple of bikes but I'd quite like any of the Triumph triples (or Yamis, I expect). But equally I'm a sucker for low-down torque, and the old boxer does that.
I've got an F800ST, it's lovely to ride but there is a special tool needed for every job and BMW dealers take the piss and a few things have gone wrong on it. I think I'm going to go back to Honda but maybe the 500/650 twin as I'm too old for a sportsbike or maybe if I could find an old T100 or T120 I could go classic.

D

Deleted member 4439

I've got an F800ST, it's lovely to ride but there is a special tool needed for every job and BMW dealers take the piss and a few things have gone wrong on it. I think I'm going to go back to Honda but maybe the 500/650 twin as I'm too old for a sportsbike or maybe if I could find an old T100 or T120 I could go classic.

The new Street Twin was on my list to try over covid, but I then figured that if I could only have two bikes due to garage space then make one a small dual-sports and something completely different from the beemer. Maybe include in your thoughts?

duffer

What dirt bike have you got? I'd love an old 2S XT250. I just have the crf250l. Bit heavy and leaden, but gets me around some gravel roads where I'd hesitate to take the GS. The latter is a big old beast but is such a comfortable and sure-footed bike to ride.

edit - I seem to recall that I paid 12 quid for the old (beat-up) Raleigh. We rode it around some local field. I seem to recall that the electrics caught fire, and that was that!

If I had the money I'd cheerfully have a CRF, much nicer than my old mid-90s thumper, a DR250. It does for me though, if I'm limited on the road I'm even less competent off it. And I bruise more easily these days. :)

The Raleigh is brilliant, I'm sure my mum had one like that, briefly. Probably had a slightly easier life than yours!

duffer

i have an old three cylinder yoke that has a flat torque curve - i have told myself that you are never too old to enjoy a motorcycle View attachment 20685

I think there might be a tiny spec of dust you've missed on it, just towards the very bottom of the centre-stand. But I haven't brought my microscope, so I can't be sure. 😄

D

Deleted member 4439

I think there might be a tiny spec of dust you've missed on it, just towards the very bottom of the centre-stand. But I haven't brought my microscope, so I can't be sure. 😄

I saw that as well. Disappointing.

ovduk78

The six was something else.
Have you seen Allen Millyard's hand-built tribute? Stunning. What that boy can do with a hacksaw and welding kit is verging on sorcery.
I have just watched The Motorbike Show where Allen Millyard tells Henry Cole how he built his tribute replica by following a model building manual and scaling it up to full size. He said his main reason for building it was so he could ride it and he couldn't afford £1m to buy the real thing!

Nick

Administrator
Been looking at the odd Fiat recently, not sure whether to take the plunge. Bit of a leftfield choice, but they are a nice cheap classic... as long as they don't rot away.

giphy.gif

Mcbean

I have just watched The Motorbike Show where Allen Millyard tells Henry Cole how he built his tribute replica by following a model building manual and scaling it up to full size. He said his main reason for building it was so he could ride it and he couldn't afford £1m to buy the real thing!
Ended up next to Alan at the Tewkesbury classic on Sunday - had a short chat as he is very popular - he had his 6 cylinder Kwacker Z 900 sounded lovely 6FF5B3FE-EAF8-4928-A8C4-8E5990D15B6D.jpeg 76ACA97D-E713-4AFE-AA74-C0D3FBC455CE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread