Which classic car would you have? (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

Have been off work of late for a few weeks (Sciatica) and have been watching Wheeler Dealers and Chasing Classic Cars every weekday morning. It's something to be immensely proud of to see how many of the cars featured were built in Coventry. All the old Jags including the truly iconic E-type, all the old Triumphs (Stag excepted), the Sunbeam Alpine to name but most of them..
They had an Alvis on an episode of Bangers & Cash, I knew little about them as it is before my time but it seemed they were very prestigious & it was a beautiful car.

Kneeza

Have been off work of late for a few weeks (Sciatica) and have been watching Wheeler Dealers and Chasing Classic Cars every weekday morning. It's something to be immensely proud of to see how many of the cars featured were built in Coventry. All the old Jags including the truly iconic E-type, all the old Triumphs (Stag excepted), the Sunbeam Alpine to name but most of them..
Not much wrong with a well maintained/well sorted Stag.
Now, the TR7 on the other hand (not Cov built, I know, but what an abomination).

Marty

I love the Lancia Delta Integrale, It's a thing of beauty.

191204_Heritage_Lancia-Delta-HF-Integrale_01.jpg

Shelby GT 500 Fastback.

2-1564158560180.jpg

Terry Gibson's perm

It depends as some people think that anything over 20 years is classic and over 40 is antique. I prefer over 40 years to be classic and the added bonus of cars built before 1980 is no MOT or car tax.

No road tax is a ridiculous rule when they go on the road do they float, it’s also little benefit to the common man.

ovduk78

No road tax is a ridiculous rule when they go on the road do they float, it’s also little benefit to the common man.
Road tax is so outdated it should be scrapped & put onto petrol/diesel prices. If it is spent on road repairs my BMW F800ST clearly doesn't damage the roads as much as my volvo yet it's tax is 3 times as much.

rondog1973

Not much wrong with a well maintained/well sorted Stag.
Now, the TR7 on the other hand (not Cov built, I know, but what an abomination).
My uncle had one (TR7) in the early 80's and they looked the most exotic thing on the road. If you see one now (rare I know) they look like they're on stilts!

rondog1973

I have gone route one Ferrari Testarossa
I'd plump for this cars nemesis. Love Harrys Garage on YouTube and his example is just about the best one out there. Even today, I don't think there's anything to match its visual impact.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-201547.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-201547.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 10

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yep...some of the lancias and alfas and even fiat's around that time looked great.....all complete rust buckets I'm lead to believe....which is why they're like rocking horse shit nowadays.

Lancias were weird though as the twin lamp models always looked boss, but the same car with the later (?) Rectangular headlight looked decidedly meh.

Nick

Administrator

Shelby GT 500 Fastback.

2-1564158560180.jpg
Used to have a bloke who lived over the road with a yellow lancia.

Would love one of them. He used to wash it every Sunday but never saw him take it out the street.

rondog1973

Yep...some of the lancias and alfas and even fiat's around that time looked great.....all complete rust buckets I'm lead to believe....which is why they're like rocking horse shit nowadays.

Lancias were weird though as the twin lamp models always looked boss, but the same car with the later (?) Rectangular headlight looked decidedly meh.
What's astonishing watching some of the earlier Wheeler Dealer episodes (c2004 I think) is what they sold them for. Some of the cars featured, particularly everyman performance cars of the late 80's such as the Integrale, 205 GTI and Sierra Cosworth fetch a small fortune nowadays. At the time of filming they were going for a song. A good Integrale can fetch £50k+ and 205's are up to £30k.

They must be kicking themselves!

Marty

Was there a change in the law? VW made a similar move with the Golf and Polo, The twin lamps are bad ass.

Marty

What's astonishing watching some of the earlier Wheeler Dealer episodes (c2004 I think) is what they sold them for. Some of the cars featured, particularly everyman performance cars of the late 80's such as the Integrale, 205 GTI and Sierra Cosworth fetch a small fortune nowadays. At the time of filming they were going for a song. A good Integrale can fetch £50k+ and 205's are up to £30k.

About 10 years ago, I was close to getting one for about 7k. It was in great condition but didn't have anywhere to store and just knew it would get nicked, so eventually turned if down. Gutted now, looking at the prices of them.

Kneeza

Road tax is so outdated it should be scrapped & put onto petrol/diesel prices. If it is spent on road repairs my BMW F800ST clearly doesn't damage the roads as much as my volvo yet it's tax is 3 times as much.
Road Tax was scrapped in 1936.
The duty we pay now goes straight into the general Treasury income, and is increasingly a tax on pollution.
Whether that stacks up when comparing vehicles is moot of course. My 'dirty' diesel attracts an excise charge of £20 pa, where many later, 'cleaner' gasoline motors would cost much more.
No, it doesn't seem fair.

Kneeza

Was there a change in the law? VW made a similar move with the Golf and Polo, The twin lamps are bad ass.
No, just fashion. Twins became more and more meh, and big moulded lamps got cheaper to make and easier to integrate into body designs.

Kneeza

Shelby GT 500 Fastback.

2-1564158560180.jpg
Always loved the Beta HPE myself.
But then, a week after the first frost of winter it became a brown stain on the tarmac.
Never knew a car rot away quicker. Great shame.

ovduk78

The first 3 series of Banger & Cash were filmed in 2019 & early 2020 and they sold a decent P5 for around £6k and a P6 for under £4k, they both seemed cheap to me.

Terry Gibson's perm

Road Tax was scrapped in 1936.
The duty we pay now goes straight into the general Treasury income, and is increasingly a tax on pollution.
Whether that stacks up when comparing vehicles is moot of course. My 'dirty' diesel attracts an excise charge of £20 pa, where many later, 'cleaner' gasoline motors would cost much more.
No, it doesn't seem fair.

It’s a daft law you can drive your 50 year old Rolls Royce doing about four miles to the gallon for free but pay hundreds for a modern car. As was said last night stick it on fuel

ovduk78

It’s a daft law you can drive your 50 year old Rolls Royce doing about four miles to the gallon for free but pay hundreds for a modern car. As was said last night stick it on fuel
It needs totally rethinking especially as within a few years all new cars will be electric. Putting it on fuel was always the obvious choice as it taxed those that used the roads more, I am sure they will come up with another unfair way.

Terry Gibson's perm

It needs totally rethinking especially as within a few years all new cars will be electric. Putting it on fuel was always the obvious choice as it taxed those that used the roads more, I am sure they will come up with another unfair way.

Probably have black boxes in the car charging per mile driven by then. I drive a new Volvo xc40 and it seems to know everything I am doing.

Terry Gibson's perm

Something needs to.
Remember the old saying?
'Volvo. The last refuge of the incompetent'.
There used to be some truth in that ;)

It is beautiful to drive and have like things like I it messages me if I have left the doors unlocked in my advancing years.

Terry Gibson's perm

They're cracking. And the fact that they cosset old crumbling twats like us is just a bonus.
When they make one that warns me I'm about to piss my pants, I'll probably buy one.
M

It has loads of gadgets in it but I sit there and think I wouldn’t want this in five or six years time when things start to go wrong and the double bonus is my wife doesn’t want to drive it so it’s all mine.

Haven’t managed to work out how to get the heating to come on before I get back to the car but can’t be bothered to read the manual.

fernandopartridge

I've seen an advert for a Cosworth at £80k

Terry Gibson's perm

What year could it take me to

Attachments

• 4F29832C-FAE6-496B-9040-1A6E844BA9D6.jpeg
    4F29832C-FAE6-496B-9040-1A6E844BA9D6.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread