What was your first ever City game? (2 Viewers)

GaryJones

Sept 24th 1974 COV 2 LUTON 1 at Highfield Road Brian Stein & David Cross scored. I was 12 and Ive been hooked ever since. Next game was away to Leicester 4 days later (my first away) we won again 1-0 Jimmy Holmes scored it then Birmingham away a few days after that and won again 2-1 Larry Lloyd & Jimmy Holmes again. I thought this was what Coventry always did - turn up and win. Sadly that was not the case however - those first 3 games gave me such a buzz that I had never experienced before - I remember walking up the steps at HR and seeing the pitch for the first time (at night) and that took my breath away! Same at every away ground too - a simple magic just seeing the pitch knowing that I had arrived to watch my team.
I used to be the first to turn up at HR at about 1pm when they opened the doors and I would stand outside the Main Stand gates waiting for the away team coach to arrive so I could get autographs! Happy Days :D

Brighton Sky Blue

1970 against Southampton at Highfield Road, I was behind the goal in the Old West End. City won 1-0, Ernie Hunt scored......I was hooked, Happy days, you could buy pop,crisps and pies from the lad walking round the pitch selling them, I used to save all my pocket money so I could have a drink of squash, a Mars Bar and a Programme on match day. I remember being amazed at the size of the crowd. After that I used to get there when the gates opened so I could get behind the goal..:p

Memories like this make me feel sorry for the young fans going up for their first games at the Ricoh now-no atmosphere, small crowds, crap team...at least the food is still the same ;)

curlyc_

7 years old V QPR not long after the semi final win over Leeds. We won 4-1. Regis 2, Phillips and Gynn for us with Bannister for them. I remember being on the Kop and the stewards let the kids in there go and sit in the bottom tier of the away section in the Sky Blue Stand. I also remember Cyrille looking at me. Was well chuffed.

The Reverend Skyblue

My first game was in 1968/9 when I was only 5, my Dad who was totally fed up of watching Northampton Town plummet through the league decided with two of his mates from the village to support someone else.

As my dads dead and I can't ask him, and also the two others have sadly passed away I haven't the foggiest who the first game I saw was against. All I remember is that for some reason us four used to go everywhere in two cars, every Saturday we start off from the village in Northamptonshire I was brought up in, and we used to follow them in the car right behind, every saturday home and away, and for the life of me I never asked why we didn't all go in the same car.

Strange I can remember that ,and not the first season or so of games

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

My first game was in 1968/9 when my Dad who was totally fed up of watching Northampton Town plummet through the league decided with three of his mates from the village to support someone else.
As my dads dead and I can't ask him, and also the two others have sadly passed away I haven't the foggiest who the first game I saw was against. All I remember is that for some reason us four used to go everywhere in two cars, every Saturday we start off from the village in Northamptonshire I was brought up in, and we used to follow them in the car right behind, every saturday home and away, and for the life of me I never asked why we didn't all go in the same car.

This must be the only ever time you could call a City fan a glory hunter ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

I can't remember. How bad is that! Presuming we lost ;)

First away game was at White Hart Lane. Couple of seasons before we went down, can't remember the years. Only 25 and my memory is dire!

Barely 2 years older than me, shame on you ;)

deanocity3

Bet that was the game Chris Catlin made his debut, Maurice Setters scored for us I think in 2-0 victory....

Chris cattlin signed late on friday night,Chris told me he never brought his boots with him,so he phoned his dad in Huddersfield to bring them.Chris stayed over night at the leofic hotel but had to leave before his dad turned up.The man united team also were at the leofric,Chris's dad finally turned up and Chris said his dad saw Matt Busby and told him the story and Matt said come with us in the team coach to the ground and you can give the boots to your son.

stupot07

I can't remember what year...85 or 86 vs Watford.....I remember John Barnes playing...I can't remember the score!

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Mine was against Wolves at HR late 60's early 70's won 2-1 I believe stood in the kop with my Dad remember wolves scoring first.

Brighton Sky Blue

Chris cattlin signed late on friday night,Chris told me he never brought his boots with him,so he phoned his dad in Huddersfield to bring them.Chris stayed over night at the leofic hotel but had to leave before his dad turned up.The man united team also were at the leofric,Chris's dad finally turned up and Chris said his dad saw Matt Busby and told him the story and Matt said come with us in the team coach to the ground and you can give the boots to your son.

Great little story! :)

deanocity3

Sept 24th 1974 COV 2 LUTON 1 at Highfield Road Brian Stein & David Cross scored. I was 12 and Ive been hooked ever since. Next game was away to Leicester 4 days later (my first away) we won again 1-0 Jimmy Holmes scored it then Birmingham away a few days after that and won again 2-1 Larry Lloyd & Jimmy Holmes again. I thought this was what Coventry always did - turn up and win. Sadly that was not the case however - those first 3 games gave me such a buzz that I had never experienced before - I remember walking up the steps at HR and seeing the pitch for the first time (at night) and that took my breath away! Same at every away ground too - a simple magic just seeing the pitch knowing that I had arrived to watch my team.
I used to be the first to turn up at HR at about 1pm when they opened the doors and I would stand outside the Main Stand gates waiting for the away team coach to arrive so I could get autographs! Happy Days :D
the away games that season we wore red tops and dark blue shorts

kg82

Funny you say that as I remember my dad trying to get me and my brother to go with him for years before we eventually did-there was a home game where we beat Spurs 3 (or was it 4)-0-we got to the ground but couldn't get a ticket. Dad wasn't happy afterwards!

Yeah it was that game-it was right in front of the goal I was behind and I remember the MotD pundits talking about professional fouls afterward but don't remember the incident. Around the same time a friend of mine's dad had a corporate box at Highbury so took us to see Arsenal/Saints -it left me wondering why Highfield Road didn't have leather seats as well!

Worst refereeing display I saw in the premiership days that was! I remember Strachan coming out and saying quite a lot and getting in trouble for it (Steve Lodge maybe)!

I reckon that was the 4-0 game. Spurs were so poor but Ginola was absolute class! Those were the days, when we used to go to HR thinking we'll turn Spurs/Liverpool/Man City over today!

deanocity3

My first game was in 1968/9 when I was only 5, my Dad who was totally fed up of watching Northampton Town plummet through the league decided with two of his mates from the village to support someone else.

Mine was the same season west ham home aug 1968,lost 2-1 gerry baker scored.went with my nan who was about 66 then,mum and sister and dad,I'm the only one left now.
what great memories,having to get into the ground by 1.30pm to get a place for my stool so I could see over the wall on the half way line in front of the sky blue stand,we were in that same place everymatch for 15 years until all seats

Brighton Sky Blue

Worst refereeing display I saw in the premiership days that was! I remember Strachan coming out and saying quite a lot and getting in trouble for it (Steve Lodge maybe)!

I reckon that was the 4-0 game. Spurs were so poor but Ginola was absolute class! Those were the days, when we used to go to HR thinking we'll turn Spurs/Liverpool/Man City over today!

Man City would still be shite but for Mubarak to be fair! There was an article on Fergie today that said when he took over United were below 'the likes of Oxford, Luton, Wimbledon, and Coventry'-hammers home how poor our club has become.

Brighton Sky Blue

Mine was the same season west ham home aug 1968,lost 2-1 gerry baker scored.went with my nan who was about 66 then,mum and sister and dad,I'm the only one left now.
what great memories,having to get into the ground by 1.30pm to get a place for my stool so I could see over the wall on the half way line in front of the sky blue stand,we were in that same place everymatch for 15 years until all seats

Think my now late grandad had similar stories from the 30s-don't think those days will return sadly.

kg82

Man City would still be shite but for Mubarak to be fair! There was an article on Fergie today that said when he took over United were below 'the likes of Oxford, Luton, Wimbledon, and Coventry'-hammers home how poor our club has become.

Indeed, but I meant in todays standards! Also, do you mean Sheikh Mansour? Pretty sure Mubarak's the leader (or was) of Egypt?

deanocity3

was it Hucks 2 marcus hall and gary breen

Mine was against spurs in early 80's we lost but cacked my pants nearley when loads spurs fans left west end and crossed the pitch to away end,then next game we beat man city 2-1 in cup bob latchford scored winner i believe and man city fans started throwing seats on pitch as i was only bout ten nearley cacked myself again!!

LastGarrison

At homes versus Liverpool early to mid 80's. Sat up at the top of the West Stand (I think) me, my brother (who was a Liverpool fan at the time) and my Old Man.

We lost, my brother gave me loads of stick, I loved it and was hooked from there on. Started going regularly when I began senior school eqrly 90's although didn't do my first away game till I was 20. A nil nil draw with Derby.

kg82

was it Hucks 2 marcus hall and gary breen

It may well have been, would definitely be the right time period. All I remember is we were completely dominant and Spurs were so poor, but I came out thinking Ginola was by far the best player on the pitch!

Brighton Sky Blue

At homes versus Liverpool early to mid 80's. Sat up at the top of the West Stand (I think) me, my brother (who was a Liverpool fan at the time) and my Old Man.

We lost, my brother gave me loads of stick, I loved it and was hooked from there on. Started going regularly when I began senior school eqrly 90's although didn't do my first away game till I was 20. A nil nil draw with Derby.

Didn't manage an away game till I was 15-a 2-1 loss under Adams at Sheff Utd. Their ball boys time wasted like there was no tomorrow and the ref never stood up to it.

Users who are viewing this thread