What was your first ever City game? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I was just browsing through the video section of the forum when I came across the highlights of my first City match (and first game ever), a 2-2 draw with Arsenal at home in 1999. The only things I can remember from it were being right behind the goal (East Stand I think), hearing someone complain that 'We really should've killed them off by now' (imagine us saying that against Arsenal now ;)), and thinking that at half time everyone got up and changed seats.

How much does everyone else remember of that first trip to HR or the Ricoh?

Stevec189

I think it was Manchester United at HR in 68 or 69. I am pretty sure Bobby Charlton scored and George Best was playing and might have scored. I was only 6 or 7 at the time so my memory is a little blurred!

nicksig

A 2-2 draw at home to qpr. I think gallacher and penrice both got 2. Must have been about 92

covmark

Mine was against Norwich about 88 or 89, we won 3-2 and they had Bryan Gunn sent off

SkyBlue_Bear83

Coventry 2-1 Crystal Palace

Final day of the season at HR, Peter Reids first game in charge. Konjic and Doyle scored for us, this was the year Palace were promoted with Dowie I believe.

Good times ever since :whistle:

Brighton Sky Blue

Coventry 2-1 Crystal Palace

Final day of the season at HR, Peter Reids first game in charge. Konjic and Doyle scored for us, this was the year Palace were promoted with Dowie I believe.

Good times ever since :whistle:

Peter Reid's Sky Blue Army :whistle:

When we lost 2-1 at home to Leeds under Reid the 'Reid out' shouts were deafening.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm convinced it was an Ajax preseason friendly, we lost 2-1, when I was either 4 or 5, but I've done some googling and found nothing, strange.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm convinced it was an Ajax preseason friendly, we lost 2-1, when I was either 4 or 5, but I've done some googling and found nothing, strange.

Nah I'm pretty sure we did at some point. We also played RC Genk in a random friendly for Roussel (or Delorge?) half way through a season, though can't remember when.

CovisGod

1-0 win against Spurs at Highfield Road, Ndlovu penalty. 1995 I reckon, I would have been 9 at the time

Stafford_SkBlue

I think it was Manchester United at HR in 68 or 69. I am pretty sure Bobby Charlton scored and George Best was playing and might have scored. I was only 6 or 7 at the time so my memory is a little blurred!
I was at the '69 games, played in the evening around Easter time, Best was playing and everytime he had the ball, the 46k crowd held it's breadth !!

My first game vs Swansea, last home game of the 64/65 season. 3-0. Recently brought the programme on ebay.

S

skyblue2k

My first game was 1978 v wolves and we won 4 - 0 I think

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe my 1st ever CCFC game was at The Brittania Stadium in Stoke on December 7th 2002. My brother (who is actually a Leciester fan) was the CCFC mascot. I remember it cus my family and my dads mate's family drove down in my dad's mate's land rover. The adults were in the front and the kids were in the boot. Anyways, i the main reason i remember it is cus on the way back i lost my favourite gameboy game (thunderbirds) lol. I think the score was 2-1 to CCFC

Brighton Sky Blue

Cracking OP BSB ,oh the naivety and Innocence.

I remember it well. The whistle went and everyone around us got up and started moving around, so I asked my Grandad 'Is everyone swapping places?'. That and the 'We should've killed 'em off' guy are the only things I remember, though I might just remember Bergkamp's lob over Oggy.

Brighton Sky Blue

I believe my 1st ever CCFC game was at The Brittania Stadium in Stoke on December 7th 2002. My brother (who is actually a Leciester fan) was the CCFC mascot. I remember it cus my family and my dads mate's family drove down in my dad's mate's land rover. The adults were in the front and the kids were in the boot. Anyways, i the main reason i remember it is cus on the way back i lost my favourite gameboy game (thunderbirds) lol. I think the score was 2-1 to CCFC

Bothroyd with both goals: http://www.11v11.com/matches/stoke-city-v-coventry-city-07-december-2002-14566/

Black6Osprey

It was 78 v West Ham and Ian Wallace scored the winner. The floodlights were on in the second half and as a kid I was hooked.

ccfc92

Went to some before, but my earliest memory is David buusts testimonial, and beating Macclesfield 7-0.

TheHellion

Coventry vs Saints in 1994. Coventry scored. I cheered. Southampton scored. I cheered.....I was only 4.:facepalm:

TheHellion

Hahaha, that beats mine hands down :p

I can remember the look on everyone's face as they turned around to look at me. My dad went a shade of red I've never seen anyone go before or since.:eek:

kg82

I don't really remember dates but my first was Forest away, around 87 I think. I asked my dad to go because he was going with some mates and he said no, so I stomped my feet and had a tantrum and he changed his mind. It ended up 0-0!! Funny thing was, I remember thinking I didn't like it that much. Too many people and too loud! I don't remember a thing about the game apart from the score. The next game I went to I think was around 91, home to Luton. We won 5-0! THAT was the game that hooked me! Can't remember exactly who scored but I think Gallacher may have got a couple? And I remember thinking David Smith was excellent!

BSB, was yours the game where Paul Williams got sent off after a blatant dive by Bergkamp?

sky_blue_up_north

Mine was about 1961/62. I know the pitch had not been levelled. Was only a whipper snapper. Sat the old main stand with my Granddad, kept raving about Willie Humphries, pretty sure it was against QPR but not 100%, think we won 5-4 or something like that.... addicted ever since...

sky_blue_up_north

Bet that was the game Chris Catlin made his debut, Maurice Setters scored for us I think in 2-0 victory....

sky_blue_up_north

Coventry vs Saints in 1994. Coventry scored. I cheered. Southampton scored. I cheered.....I was only 4.:facepalm:

reminds me of my grandsons first game ... but he has learned :p

I was just browsing through the video section of the forum when I came across the highlights of my first City match (and first game ever), a 2-2 draw with Arsenal at home in 1999. The only things I can remember from it were being right behind the goal (East Stand I think), hearing someone complain that 'We really should've killed them off by now' (imagine us saying that against Arsenal now ;)), and thinking that at half time everyone got up and changed seats.

How much does everyone else remember of that first trip to HR or the Ricoh?

1970 against Southampton at Highfield Road, I was behind the goal in the Old West End. City won 1-0, Ernie Hunt scored......I was hooked, Happy days, you could buy pop,crisps and pies from the lad walking round the pitch selling them, I used to save all my pocket money so I could have a drink of squash, a Mars Bar and a Programme on match day. I remember being amazed at the size of the crowd. After that I used to get there when the gates opened so I could get behind the goal..:p

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't really remember dates but my first was Forest away, around 87 I think. I asked my dad to go because he was going with some mates and he said no, so I stomped my feet and had a tantrum and he changed his mind. It ended up 0-0!! Funny thing was, I remember thinking I didn't like it that much. Too many people and too loud! I don't remember a thing about the game apart from the score. The next game I went to I think was around 91, home to Luton. We won 5-0! THAT was the game that hooked me! Can't remember exactly who scored but I think Gallacher may have got a couple? And I remember thinking David Smith was excellent!

BSB, was yours the game where Paul Williams got sent off after a blatant dive by Bergkamp?

Funny you say that as I remember my dad trying to get me and my brother to go with him for years before we eventually did-there was a home game where we beat Spurs 3 (or was it 4)-0-we got to the ground but couldn't get a ticket. Dad wasn't happy afterwards!

Yeah it was that game-it was right in front of the goal I was behind and I remember the MotD pundits talking about professional fouls afterward but don't remember the incident. Around the same time a friend of mine's dad had a corporate box at Highbury so took us to see Arsenal/Saints -it left me wondering why Highfield Road didn't have leather seats as well!

Users who are viewing this thread