What was your first ever City game? (1 Viewer)

Snouty72

Mine was a 2-2 draw in 81 against Wolves. My uncle took a box for me to stand on and also a rattle. Embarressing now but at the time it was a great experience. Great as my old man was at Wolves during the late 60s although not 1st team, yet was an avid sky blues fan.

Tom's Dad

1977, Bristol City at home. The infamous 2-2 draw that kept both clubs up. I stood on a folding stool on the Kop with my Dad and never realised the significance of the match until many years later.

Tom's Dad

Tom's first match was 2005 at home to Brighton. He was only 3 but I had to take him to HR before it got pulled down. He's now pleased he can say he'd been to a game at HR but I don't think he really remembers it.

My first game was against Derby County mid 70's I was about 8 we won 3-0 I think it was one of Ian Wallace's first games for us. I was sat in the West Stand with my mum, the excitement was immense, a love affair was born!

Brighton Sky Blue

Tom's first match was 2005 at home to Brighton. He was only 3 but I had to take him to HR before it got pulled down. He's now pleased he can say he'd been to a game at HR but I don't think he really remembers it.

Steve Staunton scored the winner in that one I think.

skybluelee

October 1984 v Sheffield Wednesday, I was 8. Won 1-0, Terry Gibson. Oggy saved a penalty. Sat in the main stand with my dad, with my new umbro replica kit on under my jeans and coat. Got confused because Wednesday played in their yellow away kit which was pretty much identical to ours. Remember it like was yesterday.

skybluelee

Got that right-my first season ticket was 01/02-so I've only ever really seen us in the FL. I went to about half a dozen top flight games which I can remember, the last of which was that 1-3 home loss to Everton in the relegation season. Lots of desponded folk who left the ground early that day as if I remember Everton could barely field a team.

That Everton game was one of the lowest ebbs of our top flight era. I knew after that game, as did most other people in the stadium that day, that we simply didn't have the fight or quality to stay up.

Moff

My first game was against Everton somewhere in the mid 70's about four years old.

Went to others during the period, but the first I can clearly remember was beating Crystal Palace 3-1 at home and it being on Match of The day.
The big talking point was the Clive Allen Free Kick that went in, hit the stantion at the back of the goal and coming out, and the referee not seeing it, and so the goal was not given.
I think after this the changed the design of the gaols so such an event didnt happen again.

(Brighton Sky Blue, the Cov Arsenal game you mentioned where the score was 2-2 and Willo got sent off, for some reason I cant recall why but I was in the tunnell that day and as Willo came down he shouted 'f'ing Bergcamp' and words to that effect and booted the biggest hole in the door that was at the side of the tunnell. Good lad!)

Brighton Sky Blue

October 1984 v Sheffield Wednesday, I was 8. Won 1-0, Terry Gibson. Oggy saved a penalty. Sat in the main stand with my dad, with my new umbro replica kit on under my jeans and coat. Got confused because Wednesday played in their yellow away kit which was pretty much identical to ours. Remember it like was yesterday.

It's interesting how much people can still remember despite how long ago some of these games were. It's also nice having a thread over 10 pages long about football without the bitching. Keep 'em coming folks :)

Brighton Sky Blue

My first game was against Everton somewhere in the mid 70's about four years old.

Went to others during the period, but the first I can clearly remember was beating Crystal Palace 3-1 at home and it being on Match of The day.
The big talking point was the Clive Allen Free Kick that went in, hit the stantion at the back of the goal and coming out, and the referee not seeing it, and so the goal was not given.
I think after this the changed the design of the gaols so such an event didnt happen again.

(Brighton Sky Blue, the Cov Arsenal game you mentioned where the score was 2-2 and Willo got sent off, for some reason I cant recall why but I was in the tunnell that day and as Willo came down he shouted 'f'ing Bergcamp' and words to that effect and booted the biggest hole in the door that was at the side of the tunnell. Good lad!)

Had I seen him do that I would've thought it's what everyone did when they 'left early' :p

Brighton Sky Blue

That Everton game was one of the lowest ebbs of our top flight era. I knew after that game, as did most other people in the stadium that day, that we simply didn't have the fight or quality to stay up.

I remember streams of us walking out at 3-0. We were just walking past the West End when Carsley got the consolation penalty-my uncle wanted to watch him take it. My dad said 'I don't wanna stay here any longer' and hauled us off.

Don't think he's had the same interest as he did before that game.

Porkchophill

Last game of season at home v west ham think it was 83 we got beat cant remember much apart from standing in the Kop with west ham fans either side never understood why we sectioned our own Kop of with away fans either side

SkyBlueCharlie

25th March 1963, 5th round of the FA Cup, home to Sunderland, followed 4 or 5 days later with the 6th round home to Manchester United. Beat Sunderland 2-1, lost to Man U 3-1. I'd been to a couple of Wolves matches before then (family came from there and my Uncle was a big fan) but was blown away by the atmosphere at HR and never looked back.

I often find it amusing that the Sunderland fans when on their rants about how past fixtures and the great injustices heaped upon them by Jimmy Hill etc. never mention this one.

deanocity3

cov tele utd match.jpg sunderland report.JPG sunderland 63.JPG
25th March 1963, 5th round of the FA Cup, home to Sunderland, followed 4 or 5 days later with the 6th round home to Manchester United. Beat Sunderland 2-1, lost to Man U 3-1. I'd been to a couple of Wolves matches before then (family came from there and my Uncle was a big fan) but was blown away by the atmosphere at HR and never looked back.

I often find it amusing that the Sunderland fans when on their rants about how past fixtures and the great injustices heaped upon them by Jimmy Hill etc. never mention this one.

here are some pics

Ashdown1

December 1977, League cup replay at HR v Liverpool Lost 0-2, something like 36000 packed in.........................Hooked !!

chiefdave

At home to Arsenal at the start of the 86/87 season. Wikipedia tells me it was 26th August and we won 2-1 in front of a massive 11,182. It's all been downhill since my first season as a supporter!

psgm1

Banned
First game I remember was Cov liverpool - Emlyn Hughes split his shirts - wow playing liverpool in the league rather than in the cup!

So depressing that is way way in the depths of history, now all we have to look forward to as a "highlight" are the newly relegated Wolves!

(and they wonder why the crowds have dropped!)

ajsccfc

august 1993 i think cov 1-west ham 1 roy wegerle scored

Bang on the money

79U1HkG.jpg

I'm sure I remember his goal from that one too

RPHunt

You can apparently buy the highlights for £4! Bobby Gould scored the winner.

http://www.footballdvdsdirect.co.uk/prod_desc_054.html?sno=298

I got a copy of this a few years ago (from somebody on the old GMK I think) along with a few other titbits.

My first game was 1958/59 season, but I was very young and can't remember who it was or even what the score was. I was taken to a couple of games that season and I think one of them must have been the last home game when promotion from Division 4 was clinched. My clearest memories of this game are how happy everybody was and lemonade and crisps afterwards with the players who were drinking beer from bottles!

Users who are viewing this thread