West brom attendance (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

Hate this talk of ‘ceilings’- there is no such thing.

We had 19k home fans in the latter years of the Premier League because there were no more tickets available, no other reason.

The only ceiling to how many people will want to go to games is how well the team does. Will take time but support is growing.
We rarely sold out our premiership games, in fact hardly ever!

Gynnsthetonic

Hate this talk of ‘ceilings’- there is no such thing.

We had 19k home fans in the latter years of the Premier League because there were no more tickets available, no other reason.

The only ceiling to how many people will want to go to games is how well the team does. Will take time but support is growing.
We've never had that additional 5k unlike Leicester, Forest,Sheff Utd, Norwich etc

COV

We've never had that additional 5k unlike Leicester, Forest,Sheff Utd, Norwich etc

It’s always beyond me how some people stubbornly insist that the same rules & factors that impact every other club somehow don’t apply to us, and no matter what happens we’ll only ever have an absolute ‘ceiling’ of 20k fans.

None of what you say is true anyway, facts refute your point.

Evo1883

It’s always beyond me how some people stubbornly insist that the same rules & factors that impact every other club somehow don’t apply to us, and no matter what happens we’ll only ever have an absolute ‘ceiling’ of 20k fans.

None of what you say is true anyway, facts refute your point.

We got 15 k v villa in the 90s , so we'd definitely get 15k against them today 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: COV

COV

We got 15 k v villa in the 90s , so we'd definitely get 15k against them today 🤣

There’s actually an argument the other way to his point.

To be pulling the amount of fans that we can after all the crap we’ve had- and yeah I know about the last 4 years but that’s the blink of an eye historically- that suggests that should we do the improbable and go up, there’d be a wave of popular support unleashed like we haven’t seen since the 60s.

Endless shattered hopes are what did for our support levels, but that’s starting to turn.

COV

Similar to ours over those years but still more than our average

Not true- go back through the years and up until we fell to pieces our all time average was more than theirs.

And we didn’t even get to the top division until 1967, they were there in the 20s I think?

COV

Norwich pre 2005 when their attendances started to stabilise View attachment 22940

Sheff Utd might be different but pretty sure none of the others ever averaged 35k across a single season like we did.

Pretty sure that there was one stage in the 70s where we were the best supported team in the midlands by some distance.

Gynnsthetonic

We used to get less than 10000 home fans against Villa in the 90s, who said we'd get 15k against them today we'd get more cus of the novelty, and why the laughy face?

Evo1883

We used to get less than 10000 home fans against Villa in the 90s, who said we'd get 15k against them today we'd get more cus of the novelty, and why the laughy face?

Because its a ridiculous comparison between then and now isn't it .. we'd sell out now v villa wouldn't we

kg82

Nor did Leicester, in fact the last time we were both in the Premier we had more than them. Was 20k their ceiling as well?
Was at the time wasn’t it? Pretty sure filbert street was only 20-21k. I get your point though. And our attendances will grow if we keep this up.

COV

We never, ever had less than 10,000 home fans v Villa in the 90s. That’s just made up.

COV

Was at the time wasn’t it? Pretty sure filbert street was only 20-21k. I get your point though. And our attendances will grow if we keep this up.

Point is that they rarely sold out Prem games either. Their support was always very similar to ours (apart from finger count).

One club capitalised on their move to a new ground, had multiple promotions, a championship, FA Cup Win.

One club threw away any benefit of moving and utterly collapsed for 20 years.

What do you think was going to happen?

Evo1883

And btw Norwich historical average is only 800 above ours, like I said 10 years ago we were above them

Forest historical average is 1000 above ours , and they haven't averaged less than 20k a season for 14 of the last 15 years

10 years ago out historical average was above them

Leicester 2000 above us now , have averaged 20-32000 a season for 15 years

10 years ago we were above them still historically .

What's happened to coventry in the last 15 years to make this happen ??

Reactions: COV

kg82

Point is that they rarely sold out Prem games either. Their support was always very similar to ours (apart from finger count).

One club capitalised on their move to a new ground, had multiple promotions, a championship, FA Cup Win.

One club threw away any benefit of moving and utterly collapsed for 20 years.

What do you think was going to happen?
Huh? I’m agreeing with you pal. Not sure why you’re asking me that.

Evo1883

In the last 10 years , we had 6 seasons where our average attendances were the worst since the 1920s ..

Gynnsthetonic

We never, ever had less than 10,000 home fans v Villa in the 90s.
August 29th 1994, total attendance 12000 with what 3000 Villa fans, we lost 1-0, Sky were trying to big it up as a big local derby, Ron Atkinson the Villa manager at the time laughed saying what with 12000!

Gynnsthetonic

And btw Norwich historical average is only 800 above ours, like I said 10 years ago we were above them

Forest historical average is 1000 above ours , and they haven't averaged less than 20k a season for 14 of the last 15 years

10 years ago out historical average was above them

Leicester 2000 above us now , have averaged 20-32000 a season for 15 years

10 years ago we were above them still historically .

What's happened to coventry in the last 15 years to make this happen ??
The other week, 4th in the league against our biggest rivals with a sell out away allocation we had 18000 home fans!

Evo1883

The other week, 4th in the league against our biggest rivals with a sell out away allocation we had 18000 home fans!
Was only 3 years ago we had 6k home fans .

Who are our biggest rival ?

Like I said we had 20k home fans v posh who are a small club we don't care about

Gynnsthetonic

Here's a question for you .

When was the last time we had over a 20,000 attendance 4 games in a row .. which will happen on Saturday

The 1960s /70s maybe ?
He really hope we do, I love club, but I'm stating a fact that we havnt got that massive home support that people think we have, a lot if it started when went all seater in 1982

COV

August 29th 1994, total attendance 12000 with what 3000 Villa fans, we lost 1-0, Sky were trying to big it up as a big local derby, Ron Atkinson the Villa manager at the time laughed saying what with 12000!

Wrong again- remember it, thoroughly depressing game with Steve Morgan’s long range shots our main attacking threat- Villa didn’t sell any in the lower tier at all, under 2k from them. Dire atmosphere (as it often was at HR despite the understandable nostalgia)

And are you saying that our support now is no bigger than it was then? That what happened in 1995 is the only indicator of what will happen now?

COV

Who are these biggest rivals?

I would argue we don’t have any ‘biggest rivals’ apart from quirks of league positions and what’s happening at the time

Evo1883

Football as a WHOLE is better supported all over the country now since stadia became all seated .. that's a fact .

Coventry city are a club on the way back up after an extremely difficult 15 year period which let's be honest , not many if any have experienced similar with the ground shares etc

Users who are viewing this thread