West brom attendance (2 Viewers)

COV

He really hope we do, I love club, but I'm stating a fact that we havnt got that massive home support that people think we have, a lot if it started when went all seater in 1982

I don’t see anyone saying we have ‘massive’ home support.

We’re in the same bracket as clubs like Southampton & Stoke really- give it a good run of success and it’s gonna reach consistent high 20ks without too much of an issue. That’s not ‘massive’, but the potential is absolutely there for sure. All depends on what happens on the pitch.

Evo1883

I think we are historically a championship club though , the one thing i disagree with that our fans say is we belong in the top flight .. we sit 27th for most seasons spent in the top flight and most our history is at this level now .

There are 20 clubs bigger than us historically

That's fine though , we didn't hit the top flight until 67 so we came about really late as opposed to many clubs

Grendel

We never, ever had less than 10,000 home fans v Villa in the 90s. That’s just made up.

We probably did in the 80’s

lord_garrincha

I think we are historically a championship club though , the one thing i disagree with that our fans say is we belong in the top flight .. we sit 27th for most seasons spent in the top flight and most our history is at this level now .

There are 20 clubs bigger than us historically

That's fine though , we didn't hit the top flight until 67 so we came about really late as opposed to many clubs
Hard to quantify this one. You say we are historically a championship club, but I am guessing this is the league (Div. 2) we have spent the least time in... But I get your rationale.

Gynnsthetonic

Who are these biggest rivals?

I would argue we don’t have any ‘biggest rivals’ apart from quirks of league positions and what’s happening at the time
Birmingham are our biggest rivals in this league, I'm sure most would agree!

Gynnsthetonic

Wrong again- remember it, thoroughly depressing game with Steve Morgan’s long range shots our main attacking threat- Villa didn’t sell any in the lower tier at all, under 2k from them. Dire atmosphere (as it often was at HR despite the understandable nostalgia)

And are you saying that our support now is no bigger than it was then? That what happened in 1995 is the only indicator of what will happen now?
Our support is no bigger than it was in 1995!

• Haha
Reactions: COV

Irish Sky Blue

I don’t think that you can look at the top attendance by home fans (say 20k against Peterborough) and then make a case for that being our maximum number of attendees. You will always get the fans who come to most, even every home game and I would think that these make up the core of our support. After that though you will have a whole range of supporters from those who go fairly regularly to those who attend perhaps only once or twice. The aggregate of City fans who have attended a match at the CBS this season is going to be much more than 20k. Guessing but it could be as much as maybe 26k to 28k. You then have those sat at home who are interested but still haven’t been tempted back yet. If we got back in the top flight our core support would rocket again. I think it is daft to say 20k is the ceiling.

Evo1883

Hard to quantify this one. You say we are historically a championship club, but I am guessing this is the league (Div. 2) we have spent the least time in... But I get your rationale.

You are actually correct, we've spent 30 in the 2nd tier and 34 in the top tier .

But in terms of total years in the top flight I believe we are 27th

Gynnsthetonic

And yet somehow we average 5,000 more now than we did in 1995, in the division below and with less away fans? 😂
Im talking about supporters not averages, our average is slightly higher now, think it was around 18.5k in 1996/96, We had the same support then as we do now, people go more now as mentioned previously, first time I've had a season ticket apart from 1st season at Ricoh since 1988,
Our average attendances are slightly higher at the moment yes, think it about 18.5k in 1995, I still feel we have the same amount of supporters now as back then just people go more now, but feel free to send a smile laughy face back!

Evo1883

Our average attendances are slightly higher at the moment yes, think it about 18.5k in 1995, I still feel we have the same amount of supporters now as back then just people go more now, but feel free to send a smile laughy face back!

I disagree with you , but this could go on all day .

If we were in the Premier league today we wouldn't be averaging 20k home fans , it would be sold out nion every week .. such is the demand for Premier league football these days

Besides even if 20k was our championship ceiling , it's bloody good for 2nd tier football

Gynnsthetonic

I don’t think that you can look at the top attendance by home fans (say 20k against Peterborough) and then make a case for that being our maximum number of attendees. You will always get the fans who come to most, even every home game and I would think that these make up the core of our support. After that though you will have a whole range of supporters from those who go fairly regularly to those who attend perhaps only once or twice. The aggregate of City fans who have attended a match at the CBS this season is going to be much more than 20k. Guessing but it could be as much as maybe 26k to 28k. You then have those sat at home who are interested but still haven’t been tempted back yet. If we got back in the top flight our core support would rocket again. I think it is daft to say 20k is the ceiling.
The premiership is different but since moving to the Ricoh we've struggled to pull in 20k home fans!

pusbccfc

If you think we wouldn't sell out in the Premier League every week, take a look at the increase in crowds at Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Hull, Huddersfield and Palace. Huge increases.

Brighton is a real interesting one too. Crowds jumped from 6000 to 20k overnight and they now comfortably average 30k in the Premier League.

COV

Nope, it was just over 14,500 in 1995

Grendel

Early 80s yes- especially 82 when they were going well, reigning champions and essentially completely took HR over

Not likely - we had a 12,000 gate in 1982

Colin Steins Smile

We have quite a cynical bunch of fans outside of the ones who already go each week- and that’s not a dig in the slightest- you can hardly blame them after all the shit that’s gone on. But if there’s a whiff of a playoff place come the end of the season we’ll easily shift 25k home tickets.

Even now, even on here, there is still a disbelief that we’ll maintain this playoff push (and again, totally understandable), but if it gets to the point where there genuine belief & confidence that “we can do this”- we’d start to get an idea of what type of support we can attract.
25k if we are in the play off spots? Surely, they'll be at least another 15k wanting a seat....after all they turned up at Wembley ;)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We havnt averaged 20k home fans for 40 years if that's of any relevance
We are getting closer but bearing in mind we have never had more than a couple of successive seasons of sustained progress for decades it's no surprise. I remember fondly the late 1970s under the great Gordon Milne when , I think, we may have averaged 21,000 and 23,000 in two years when we showed real progress. For all our achievement in the 35 years in the top division it generally was a struggle to stay up. Until we have a few years or so where we as supporters really see progress it's hard to say where we are with potential support. We've had a couple under Robins and we've seen a response. 30,000 regularly in the Prem you'd expect but I'm not sure we'd sustain it. A lot depends on the owners backing the manager.

blunted

Most clubs outside of the really current big clubs who have not had a sustained period of success yo yo between really poor numbers that grow depending on quality of football and the amount of success achieved. Unfortunately, money is usually the deciding factor regarding success in the modern game. If we stay on an upward trajectory, still playing great football, I think our attendences will increase. Conversely, go the other way and attendances will drop. Our catchment area is massive and the only way we will attract higher numbers to the CBS Arena is by moving onwards and upwards. Think lack of funding will prove our achilles heel.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Some on here won't like me mentioning this, but Sunderland are averaging over 30k for L1. Now that's a tremendous show of support.
It certainly is. Ipswich are another club that have a good hardcore support.
I'm not sure how Brighton get such big gates but fair play to them .

Users who are viewing this thread