Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (8 Viewers)

Ian1779

Why would they stay? We all know them paying for a new ground is a load of tosh.

Because they clearly want a return on their investment... or at least a sizeable amount. And who will buy a football club that is a second hand tenant in a stadium they don't own?

A new owner would potentially be faced with having to build their own stadium as well.

Otis

Haven't read the thread, couldn't care less about egg chasing so I have no idea how Wasps fans would feel about that, should be up to them.

From a CCFC point of view, would this make things better or worse for Sisu? Would Wasps be a better organisation to deal with? Or would they be looking for the same revenue streams?

Maybe Wasps and CCFC can build a joint stadium?

Doesn't matter if you like egg chasing or not though, Shmmeee. I am from Coventry and I am totally against it because it is going to effect a local team here and that's Cov Rugby Club.

As a local kid I feel I should be totally opposed to it and whether or not I like the sport or not matters not one jot.

I hate speedway with a passion, but would be first to stand up and speak out on behalf of that club if something similar happened to them.

Otis

This is a false dawn or smoke screen (call it what you will) Will never happen. ACL must be the biggest fools on the planet to now try and negotiate with another sports team out of the Coventry area. I think we would all be calling for them to resign and let ACL be distinguished as it should have been long ago.

Can't see that ACL are fools negotiating if Sisu keep insisting they are taking the club away from the Ricoh.

Grendel

Interesting to see how many say ACL are a business and need to make commercial decisions for that business.

I'm struggling to find any historic posts commenting on Cardoza for doing exactly that.

What's the difference?

Otis

Interesting to see how many say ACL are a business and need to make commercial decisions for that business.

I'm struggling to find any historic posts commenting on Cardoza for doing exactly that.

What's the difference?

None. From Northampton's perspective it was good business and I don't think we should have directed any flak in their general direction at all.

RoboCCFC90

Here's an idea.. How about City and Wasps do a joint venture on the Ricoh and we both own it 50:50, both sides would win surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A London based rugby club with a largely London based fan base looking to buy a ground some 90 odd miles away in Coventry makes perfect sense!
What an absolute load of tosh.

Samo

Doesn't matter if you like egg chasing or not though, Shmmeee. I am from Coventry and I am totally
against it because it is going to effect a local team here and that's Cov Rugby Club.

As a local kid I feel I should be totally opposed to it and whether or not I like the sport or not matters not one jot.

I hate speedway with a passion, but would be first to stand up and speak out on behalf of that club if something similar happened to them.

I like the cut of your jib Otis, I reckon your a thoroughly decent geezer, and funny too. I agree, I'm totally against it and Cov Rugby Club is the first of many good reasons but reason enough on its own. (I love the speedway though!)

Last edited:

Grendel

None. From Northampton's perspective it was good business and I don't think we should have directed any flak in their general direction at all.

Other odd thing is the difference between fans of football and rugby.

Loads on here said Sixfields had many footie fans from Northampton popping along yet mind from cov rugby club will be interested.

Otis

I like the cut of your jib Otis, I reckon your a thoroughly decent geezer, and funny too. I agree, I'm totally against it and Cov Rugby Club is the first of may good reasons but reason enough on its own. (I love the speedway though!)

Oh damn! I put a 'like' before I realised you liked speedway!! :facepalm:

Note to self: Always, always, always read to the end of the posts!!!

Samo

Oh damn! I put a 'like' before I realised you liked speedway!! :facepalm:

Note to self: Always, always, always read to the end of the posts!!!

Surely you'd prefer bees to wasps?

wingy

I like the cut of your jib Otis, I reckon your a thoroughly decent geezer, and funny too. I agree, I'm totally against it and Cov Rugby Club is the first of may good reasons but reason enough on its own. (I love the speedway though!)

They're going to be cleaning up @ Brandon tomorrow .

Some world Stock car event on,32K crowd ,tickets circa £27 standing -£45 seated.

wingy

Other odd thing is the difference between fans of football and rugby.

Loads on here said Sixfields had many footie fans from Northampton popping along yet mind from cov rugby club will be interested.

Am popping along to the butts on Saturday ,consequencw of our move ,a positive one ,now do both.

working with a massive lifelong CRC stalwart ,knows his rugby inside out .

Has been hearing of the potential for this for a good while and yet not overly concerned .

Samo

That stung him into action :whistle:

But seriously folks, looks to me like its back to the chess game and ACL have decided to threaten with their rook.

Their rook? Things are looking black

Tonylinc

Nothing wrong with speedway Otis. Remember the time when you could attend a City match and straight after go up to Brandon for a good evening's entertainment as well. Good days!!!

Nick

Administrator
They're going to be cleaning up @ Brandon tomorrow .

Some world Stock car event on,32K crowd ,tickets circa £27 standing -£45 seated.

Shame they are pricing out the people of Coventry :( Way too expensive that is!

Otis

Nothing wrong with speedway Otis. Remember the time when you could attend a City match and straight after go up to Brandon for a good evening's entertainment as well. Good days!!!

To be fair I have only ever been once. Could only last 20 mins though. Sorry, but I found it incredibly boring, bikes just going round and round and round.

I don't like F1 either or any motor sport so maybe it's just me.

Samo

To be fair I have only ever been once. Could only last 20 mins though. Sorry, but I found it incredibly
boring, bikes just going round and round and round.

I don't like F1 either or any motor sport so maybe it's just me.

I can't stand F1 either... But the Bees? Well they are Cov bikes going round and round! Anything Cov and I'm in. Put a tiny city shirt on a racing snail and I'm cheering him on!

Grendel

I can't stand F1 either... But the Bees? Well they are Cov bikes going round and round! Anything Cov and I'm in. Put a tiny city shirt on a racing snail and I'm cheering him on!

They are cov area bikes aren't they ?

Moff

What's the difference?

Absoloutely spot on.

Its amazing how many people are saying how ACL cant sit around and wait for Sisu to put in an offer, but isn't this the same ACL that everyone said were running a profitable business without the football club...so why the need to sell?

Also its amazing how many who were, rightfully vitriolic, about our move to Northampton, now seem a lot quieter about a London Club moving into Coventry. Its funny when the shoes on the other foot it doesn't seem to bother them that much, nor the potential loss of our own Rugby club, the one that has Coventry, and not London in its name.

Covstu

If this comes off It would be a disgrace, there is only one team that should be playing there and that is us. I don't want to share the ground with a bunch of cockney egg chasers who are going to cut the pitch up!!

lordsummerisle

Absoloutely spot on.

Its amazing how many people are saying how ACL cant sit around and wait for Sisu to put in an offer, but isn't this the same ACL that everyone said were running a profitable business without the football club...so why the need to sell?

Also its amazing how many who were, rightfully vitriolic, about our move to Northampton, now seem a lot quieter about a London Club moving into Coventry. Its funny when the shoes on the other foot it doesn't seem to bother them that much, nor the potential loss of our own Rugby club, the one that has Coventry, and not London in its name.

Can see why Wasps would be interested in moving to Coventry though, a ready made fanbase of 9000 who love supporting franchises here.

Sky Blue Harry H

Cue SISU sueing Wasps for unfair gazumping - then the Council (again) 'cos they're super miffed - just when we thought it was all about the footie. If nothing else it will fast forward (or alter) SISU's strategy re: the football club

Otis

Absoloutely spot on.

Err, who's quieter about a London club moving to Coventry? :thinking about: Also, 'why the need to sell?' They don't. Think it has always been mooted though that the Ricoh could be up for sale, just not to Sisu.

I'm not on either side here, but from ACL's perspective, if Sisu keep threatening to leave and not stay at the Ricoh, ACL surely have to look to someone to fill the void of what would otherwise be a great white elephant.

Doesn't mean we have to be happy that it could be Wasps and a club transported 90 miles from its home, that is a different debating point, but as a business surely ACL are looking to maxmise the asset they have. It's only natural.

What we need to happen is for both sides to really sit down and get their heads together for the mutual benefit of both ACL and the club. We need to stop all the nonsense Sisu saying they are leaving the Ricoh and building a new stadium. Sisu need to come out and clearly state they want to remain at the Ricoh and ACL need to come out and quite clearly state they want Coventry City playing at the Ricoh for many, many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread