Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (2 Viewers)

skybluetony176

It's just not for sale to the City's football club, it seems.

Or it's not for sale to the city's football team for the amount that the city's football team owners want to pay for it. How much did SISU value it at in court again?

Monners

Hi Wingy

Even if there's not a word of truth in this, the very fact the story is out there and acl haven't denied it undermines all the talk of a fresh slate and working for a better future. It makes the future look as uncertain as ever and betrays the efforts of SP and the team and shows total disrespect for fans. Whether it's a game, a bluff etc doesn't matter - it just undermines positivity and means (as shown by this thread) the focus is yet again on negative stuff off the field which can't be ignored cos it has consequences for on the pitch.

We had a few weeks of from the politics Michael. Quite enjoyed it while it lasted - but yes, the PR machines are cranking up again. Will put people off parting with their hard earned while all this is going on. We just need to do what we can as fans and support the team on the pitch as best we can (I will for the games that I can make).

Nick

Administrator
We had a few weeks of from the politics Michael. Quite enjoyed it while it lasted - but yes, the PR machines are cranking up again. Will put people off parting with their hard earned while all this is going on. We just need to do what we can as fans and support the team on the pitch as best we can (I will for the games that I can make).
Would this stop people from going to games?

Como

Ricoh needs a long term occupant, CCFC/SISU have said there are only there short term. And 11,000 crowd in such a big stadium does not make a lot of sense.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
whether we like it or not it is only the directors of Otium t/a CCFC that has a duty of care to the fans of CCFC. ACL has no fans - it is just a business.

You could argue there is some sort of moral duty by the ACL directors but faced with a client that says its future lies elsewhere, that repeatedly bangs on about ownership that is presently not available, repeatedly produces statements about a new ground, that has been intransigent and hostile (that's not saying ACL haven't ) but the simple truth is that ACL has no duty to CCFC fans moral, legal or otherwise.

The duty the directors of ACL have is to the company and its employees. If CCFC will not strike a more permanent deal then as has been said by ACL before they have to move on and source new income.

I do not like the implications for our club but I do understand that other options must be considered. That said it does seem to have a bit of hypocrisy about it remembering the legal threats by ACL ....... but then aren't Wasps already homeless (or about to be) and not in dispute .......rather than it being a tactic in an acrimonious dispute to distress a landlord.

Last edited:

duffer

Hi Wingy

Even if there's not a word of truth in this, the very fact the story is out there and acl haven't denied it undermines all the talk of a fresh slate and working for a better future. It makes the future look as uncertain as ever and betrays the efforts of SP and the team and shows total disrespect for fans. Whether it's a game, a bluff etc doesn't matter - it just undermines positivity and means (as shown by this thread) the focus is yet again on negative stuff off the field which can't be ignored cos it has consequences for on the pitch.

Again, a really fair point this. I wish both sides would just step away from the microphone for a bit.

I don't want to hear Fisher talking about his plans for a new stadium.

I don't want to hear that ACL are looking for alternatives to CCFC.

I want them to sit down together, and actually look at the figures, and forget the personalities and all the legal bollocks. If they do that, the inescapable conclusion has to be that ACL needs CCFC and vice-versa.

Spending £20m on a newer, crapper, stadium is an embarassingly stupid idea - and scratching around publicly for a franchise club to fill the gap is equally daft. There's an obvious solution right in front of us - why don't they just grow up and sort it out.

skyblueinBaku

Before this becomes a disaster for CCFC, several things have to happen: Wasps need to buy a controlling interest, the RFU have to sanction the move and the FL have to enforce their rule of the football team taking precedence over any other activity in the stadium.

If those three things happen, then it may signal the end for CCFC because TF's 'Coventry area' stadium will have to be built with a consequential loss of part of the fan base.

Of course it may just be ACL's way of forcing Sisu's hand - if they want an interest in the Ricoh, Sisu will need to start meaningful negotiations (ie 'put up or shut up').

torchomatic

MichaelCCFC

whether we like it or not it is only the directors of Otium t/a CCFC that has a duty of care to the fans of CCFC. ACL has no fans - it is just a business.

You could argue there is some sort of moral duty by the ACL directors but faced with a client that says its future lies elsewhere, that repeatedly bangs on about ownership that is presently not available, repeatedly produces statements about a new ground, that has been intransigent and hostile (that's not saying ACL haven't ) but the simple truth is that ACL has no duty to CCFC fans moral, legal or otherwise.

The duty the directors of ACL have is to the company and its employees. If CCFC will not strike a more permanent deal then as has been said by ACL before they have to move on and source new income.

I do not like the implications for our club but I do understand that other options must be considered. That said it does seem to have a bit of hypocrisy about it remembering the legal threats ....... but then aren't Wasps already homeless (or about to be) but not in dispute .......rather than it being a tactic in an acrimonious dispute.

Life is full of situations where people have different interests and have to choose how to deal with reconciling that. The fundamental issue isn't whether acl or sisu are right or wrong to prioritise their profits - the issue is that as fans we are in the hands of two companies whose interest is contrary to what we want ie we want a successful team and not being ripped off over tickets, beer, parking etc. The whole Supporters Trust movement came about due to the recognition that fans need a greater say and having a real stake through fan led ownership models/fans' shares etc. Isn't that supposed to be the purpose of our own Trust too?

"..............could cause another headache for the Football League whose rules state that clubs can only play home matches in venues where their fixtures “take precedence” over other activities."

Well that's bollocks - Wigan Athletic and Wigan Warriors play in the same stadium without, as far as I know, any consequences from the FL or SL

Otis

and yet we are told by TF/SW that the club is working well in partnership together with ACL .......... that ACL are glad to have them back and treating them like platinum clients :thinking about:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Michael. Yes fans should have a bigger say in their club .......... but there is no firm connection between club and ACL any more. The club are a day renting client nothing more, nothing less. As such there is little fans groups can do to influence what ACL do or do not do. You talk as if ACL and CCFC are closely linked and inter dependent so fans have got leverage on both. It simply is not the case. There is no immediate likelihood of fans meaningful representation at CCFC and not a chance at ACL. It is in this case the Sky Blue Trust not the Sky Blue & ACL Trust. That is the reality.

ACL will take business decisions - decisions that make the most of what they do or have - they rent and provision of space for business & people. Most of their customers are not attracted because of CCFC. It is not an emotional decision. If CCFC supporters boycott the Ricoh then ACL would fill it with other things - as they have done

On the other hand Otium t/a CCFC customer base is made up of fans or businesses that have a connection trade or emotionally to CCFC. The club has to take the wishes, emotions and needs of its customers the fans in to some sort of account or as we have seen they stay away. Fans boycott affect a football club. That gives fans groups leverage

There is a clear separation between CCFC and ACL that no supporters movement can change. The supporters movement relates to the football club. Not ACL so how exactly does a supporters movement or group have any great leverage on ACL?

The fans are first and foremost in the hands of the club. That club has a duty to provide the team and matches for its fans. So long as ACL provide what the club are prepared to pay for what responsibility exactly does ACL have to the fans?

Last edited:

MichaelCCFC

Just as with sisu over ntfc, you identify weak spots and go for it. acl is not going to act contrary to ccc. Therefore lobbying councillors is an obvious approach if acl are acting contrary to the interests of fans. The starting point though is believing that fans should be involved and then campaigning to make it happen rather than just accepting the status quo. None of this is 'militant' 'extreme' or anything like that - it's in the constitution of every supporters' Trust!

Warwickhunt

If this is true then it's as wrong as us being moved to NTFC. The Ricoh is the home of CCFC - end of. And we have our own rugby club already. Have acl, ccc, sisu not learnt a thing from what's gone on? Are they intent on destroying our club one way or another? The only thing acl should be saying to wasps is 'do one'. As fans we are in the hands of two companies - acl-sisu - who spout warm words about fans but don't give a flying fuck about us.
It will fuck the Coventry Rugby Club crowds up if it goes ahead

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
but CCC do not have day to day involvement in the running of ACL. The board of directors can out vote the CCC appointed directors. CCFC fans like it or not are a only a large minority of the footfall now at the Ricoh that it seems can be replaced by other events or clients. If the decision is can the arena and City be more successful other than by having CCFC there then the directors have a duty to consider it at the very least if not actually implement it. If the best business case is elsewhere then the councillors have a duty to support it in the best interests of the City.

Right now ACL can point to the football club wanting away and wanting to build their own stadium ....... do you think ACL should just wait see, or even just roll over and sell up to the club? Would suggest it is in the clubs interest to provide its supporters what they want and to do a proper deal or build the new stadium. Ball is in their court

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just to be absolutely clear I am absolutely against Wasps taking control of the stadium and making CCFC second class citizens there

MichaelCCFC

My concern is solely the interests of the team and fans and I will oppose anything that is detrimental to those interests. I criticised sisu for what they've done and I'll criticise acl over this. As Duffer said, acl-sisu should be sitting down and planning a mutually beneficial future not engaging in all this nonsense yet again. The return to the Ricoh showed fans do have power and can influence things.

Otis

Michael. Yes fans should have a bigger say in their club .......... but there is no firm connection between club and ACL any more. The club are a day renting client nothing more, nothing less. As such there is little fans groups can do to influence what ACL do or do not do. You talk as if ACL and CCFC are closely linked and inter dependent so fans have got leverage on both. It simply is not the case. There is no immediate likelihood of fans meaningful representation at CCFC and not a chance at ACL. It is in this case the Sky Blue Trust not the Sky Blue & ACL Trust. That is the reality.

ACL will take business decisions - decisions that make the most of what they do or have - they rent and provision of space for business & people. Most of their customers are not attracted because of CCFC. It is not an emotional decision. If CCFC supporters boycott the Ricoh then ACL would fill it with other things - as they have done

On the other hand Otium t/a CCFC customer base is made up of fans or businesses that have a connection trade or emotionally to CCFC. The club has to take the wishes, emotions and needs of its customers the fans in to some sort of account or as we have seen they stay away. Fans boycott affect a football club. That gives fans groups leverage

There is a clear separation between CCFC and ACL that no supporters movement can change. The supporters movement relates to the football club. Not ACL so how exactly does a supporters movement or group have any great leverage on ACL?

The fans are first and foremost in the hands of the club. That club has a duty to provide the team and matches for its fans. So long as ACL provide what the club are prepared to pay for what responsibility exactly does ACL have to the fans?

In saying all that, OSB, it is the Ricoh Arena, with their name emblazoned upon the top of a football stand, in a football stadium that was a CCFC badge on and sky blue seats all round.

CCFC may not be the best customer but let's not forget, the Ricoh Arena was built especially for Coventry City Football Club and at the end of the day the main part of the facility is a sports stadium.

Nick

Administrator
My concern is solely the interests of the team and fans and I will oppose anything that is detrimental to those interests. I criticised sisu for what they've done and I'll criticise acl over this. As Duffer said, acl-sisu should be sitting down and planning a mutually beneficial future not engaging in all this nonsense yet again. The return to the Ricoh showed fans do have power and can influence things.

What is the ransom for you to bring Michael back? ;) :)

WestEndAgro

I assume this is what LAST has been referring to over the last few days, unless we have another "shit storm" heading our way

:whistle:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
In saying all that, OSB, it is the Ricoh Arena, with their name emblazoned upon the top of a football stand, in a football stadium that was a CCFC badge on and sky blue seats all round.

CCFC may not be the best customer but let's not forget, the Ricoh Arena was built especially for Coventry City Football Club and at the end of the day the main part of the facility is a sports stadium.

which the owners seem to be willing to kiss goodbye to for the second time as they go for this new stadium.

Actually the stadium bowl is less than 50% apparently

J

Jack Griffin

The club are back in Coventry now, Jack.

If ACL decides to sell a stake in their business to Wasps it is nothing to do with SISU.

People like you seemed positively delighted at the notion that ACL were a thriving business who would pursue other commercial interests. ....

Its a nonsense for CCFC & the Arena to be split, this is about the cost & the lost trust basically.. rebuild trust & pay a sensible amount so the debt can be removed & AEH charity can get out without too much of a hit and all will be resolved.. but it ain't likely to happen while litigation is still in the air is it!

covmark

I assume this is what LAST has been referring to over the last few days, unless we have another "shit storm" heading our way

:whistle:
But I got the impression LAST had some good news. This is anything but good news, unless he has a new found love of London Wasps.

J

Jack Griffin

well apparently TF knows of 1, 2 3 or even 4 sites in the Coventry area that are available that Wasps could build their own stadium on if they are intent on moving up here perhaps he could tell them where ..........:whistle:

If building a new stadium is a sensible option then why aren't Wasps doing that... well its bacause it is much more sensible to by a stake in an existing stadium innit!

Otis

which the owners seem to be willing to kiss goodbye to for the second time as they go for this new stadium.

Actually the stadium bowl is less than 50% apparently

Wasn't talking in revenue, OSB. Meant more in terms of sq ft of the complex. Just reinforces what the thing was built for in the first place.

Last edited:

WestEndAgro

But I got the impression LAST had some good news. This is anything but good news, unless he has a new found love of London Wasps.

He did appear to indicate it would be good news, however he may just see it as the beginning of the end of SISU ?
or purely coincidental and we still await news from LAST.

Hobo

Firstly if true, the main outrage would have to come from Wasps fans. If they objected to it, I would be surprised if they didn't, I would fully support their campaigns.

If the fans supported it, then my objection would revert to, it is potentially damaging to Coventry Rugby Club with such a big side moving into their catchment area.

some people think this is spin, I don't as I first heard about it last season and again that it was going ahead a few weeks before City moved back. Time will tell.

SISU have continued their threat of legal action and intent to build a new stadium. They therefore can't blame ACL for exploring other avenues to secure their future, rather than rolling over to die like SISU hoped.

Ultimately, teams should represent their locality and fan base....however if their fans support the move who are we to say it shouldn't happen?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Was talking in revenue, OSB. Meant more in terms of sq ft of the complex. Just reinforces what the thing was built for in the first place.

I meant the sq ft Otis. The stadium bowl represents under 50% of the complex sq ft apparently

Users who are viewing this thread