Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Maybe it will force SISU to offer a realistic price for the Arena, I can't see how they can just let this happen.
If it does there is nothing to stop another Football club playing at the Arena when Wasps are not using it.

Anyone with any common sense knows a new stadium for CCFC is a big risk, especially if the location isn't really close to the city centre, though perversely if the Arena isn't an option and Wasps are in it then fans are more likely to accept a new stadium!

It is all a right mess & SISU are at the root cause of it. They may well single handedly destroy (or at least hamstring for good) a tradition that goes back to 1883 in pursuit of their pound of flesh. If they'd have offered a realistic price in the first place, then all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided.
The club are back in Coventry now, Jack.

If ACL decides to sell a stake in their business to Wasps it is nothing to do with SISU.

People like you seemed positively delighted at the notion that ACL were a thriving business who would pursue other commercial interests. ....

torchomatic

Otis, when it comes to CCFC I don't care about fair. Coventry City should own the Ricoh without interference from ACL, though I realise that probably will never happen. Anyway, we're home so I'll give it a rest. The new stadium may well be a pipe dream, but if not and we could own it all and get all the income then bring it on.

To be fair to them Torch, that was aimed directly at Sisu. Think it has always been apparent that they would sell. It's just Sisu they have the problem with unfortunately.

Otis

There is outside the capital but within London's traditional commuter belt (Reading, Watford, Wycombe) and there is 90 miles away in the Midlands

That's what I don't get. Wasps fans will surely be even more outraged than us. That's an awfully long way to travel.

torchomatic

All that was missing at the end was "I love Ann".

The club are back in Coventry now, Jack.

If ACL decides to sell a stake in their business to Wasps it is nothing to do with SISU.

People like you seemed positively delighted at the notion that ACL were a thriving business who would pursue other commercial interests. ....

It has to be seen as wrong for any club be it football or Rugby to abandon its fan base and relocate to another region.

We have just had 18 months of hell trying to get our club back so we should at least feel for Wasps fans.

The fact that we have a Rugby club trying to make its way is another reason for us as Citizens of Coventry to feel that this would be wrong.

It may be a ploy to get SISU to get real and make an offer. I hope one day, with or without SISU we can enjoy the benefits of all revenue from the arena. But we don't have to own it to get that.

torchomatic

Ah, don't worry, they'll only be a handful there. In all seriousness although I hate rugby with a passion, if true, I do feel for Cov Rugby club.

That's what I don't get. Wasps fans will surely be even more outraged than us. That's an awfully long way to travel.

Otis

Otis, when it comes to CCFC I don't care about fair. Coventry City should own the Ricoh without interference from ACL, though I realise that probably will never happen. Anyway, we're home so I'll give it a rest. The new stadium may well be a pipe dream, but if not and we could own it all and get all the income then bring it on.

I agree. A football club should own its own football ground. Was just pointing out, the Arena does indeed seem to be available for purchase to the 'right' bidder. Maybe if Sisu change their name and all wear false beards.

Thinking about it, maybe that's Tim Fisher's master plan in view of his new found hirsuteness.

There is so much bad blood seemingly between our owners and ACL and the council. Wish everyone would resign and new people come to the table for a completely fresh start.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSid

Maybe this is all part of the master plan. Wasps buy the Ricoh and then ground share with Coventry Rugby Club. That leaves the Butts Park Arena empty. So Fisher and his cast of clowns buy that and upgrade it to be a 12000 capacity stadium. Voila......one new stadium, owned outright, with all the pie money in their own pockets.

Well, just a thought......

torchomatic

olderskyblue

It may just set a cost for ACL however....

Sub

Maybe this is all part of the master plan. Wasps buy the Ricoh and then ground share with Coventry Rugby Club. That leaves the Butts Park Arena empty. So Fisher and his cast of clowns buy that and upgrade it to be a 12000 capacity stadium. Voila......one new stadium, owned outright, with all the pie money in their own pockets.

Well, just a thought......

better location though than the Ricoh!!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
well apparently TF knows of 1, 2 3 or even 4 sites in the Coventry area that are available that Wasps could build their own stadium on if they are intent on moving up here perhaps he could tell them where ..........:whistle:

duffer

I had a really good night at Scunny (result apart) and it really felt like getting back to talking only about football, focusing on the match and being able to forget about all the off field stuff so this just has me raging - acl/sisu playing games and silly buggers with no concern for fans. How hard would it be for acl to say "after a difficult 16 months CCFC are again at the Ricoh which is in the best interests of acl, sisu and fans. Success for acl goes hand in hand with success for CCFC so we are happy to stage occasional games for Wasps and others but at this stage our focus is building a winning partnership with CCFC so we will politely decline any interest from other potential tenants/investors"

I can see exactly where you're coming from, and I'd tend to agree.

But the problem as I see it is that SISU have done bugger all to progress discussions with regard to buying into ACL, and are still taking CCC to court with the potential risks implied to ACL's business. Additionally, Fisher can't seem to say anything that doesn't mention owning our own stadium elsewhere.

On that basis, why wouldn't ACL consider new partners? They've got a business to run, and it seems that CCFC have decided that they're only going to be a bit part of it, and even that only in the short-term.

I detest the idea of Wasps coming to the Ricoh for all sorts of reasons, not least of which the impact on their fans, but also because it seems to close the door to the one thing that almost everyone wants - CCFC and ACL moving into some kind of proper partnership. Whilst SISU are set on their current course though, I can't see that we can blame ACL for considering other options. Just mho, as ever.

lordsummerisle

Michael rapidly changing the "C"'s to "W's on his t-shirts now to get rid of his excess stock.

"Keep Wasps in Wycombe"

Last edited:

mattylad

For the 2007/08 season it was announced that Wasps would begin their defence of the Heineken Cup in Coventry playing their "home" tie against Munster at Coventry Citys Ricoh Arena. While commercially the move was seen as a success with Wasps winning the game 24–23 in front of a crowd of 21,506, the move attracted criticism from some of the club's supporters. It could be argued they had little choice in moving the match away from Adams Park, with Wycombe Wanderers playing an FA Cup tie the same day.

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

I can see exactly where you're coming from, and I'd tend to agree.

But the problem as I see it is that SISU have done bugger all to progress discussions with regard to buying into ACL, and are still taking CCC to court with the potential risks implied to ACL's business. Additionally, Fisher can't seem to say anything that doesn't mention owning our own stadium elsewhere.

On that basis, why wouldn't ACL consider new partners? They've got a business to run, and it seems that CCFC have decided that they're only going to be a bit part of it, and even that only in the short-term.

I detest the idea of Wasps coming to the Ricoh for all sorts of reasons, not least of which the impact on their fans, but also because it seems to close the door to the one thing that almost everyone wants - CCFC and ACL moving into some kind of proper partnership. Whilst SISU are set on their current course though, I can't see that we can blame ACL for considering other options. Just mho, as ever.

Surely the very fact that Sisu are still going ahead with the JR appeal would ptevent anybody else from attempting to buy the stadium anyway?

Would be classed as material uncertainty surely for that sort of investment.

Last edited:

duffer

Surely the very fact that Sisu are still going ahead with the JR aappeal would ptevent anybody else from attempting to buy the stadium anyway?

Would be classed as material uncertainty surely for that sort of investment.

See your point but then wouldn't additional investment into ACL by a third party, which I think is what we're talking about here, actually act as a bulwark against the risk of having the council loan called in (which is all that SISU can hope for with regard to ACL, at best).

wingy

LS and Duffer, decent points
Looks to be part of the game be It round or Oval
Fairly sure ACL will have evaluated the likely fall out from this and deemed It worth It
They may be privacy to detail re the Club we are not
The reaction of City fans Is as expected , but I suspect were getting hot under the collar over not a lot
Let the spin begin

Last edited:

duffer

Has to be more than 50 per cent to be controlling.

That means that they'd have to buy the Higgs share, at least in part I'd guess. As I understand it, either side (CCC or Higgs) can veto the sale of the other's share. There's a way to go on this I'd venture - even if Wasps were willing and able to put up the money, and the RFU were prepared to allow them to move.

Moff

From a commercial angle it might well make sense.

Of course it would, I mean moving a club far more than 35 miles from its fan base is perfectly acceptable to ACL and the Council who made various statements about the disgrace of a football club being moved from their home.

And of course from a Commercial angle it would make sense to potentially destroy the Rugby Club of your own city wouldn't it, to make a fast buck from some far flung team.

F***ing hypocrites, it makes me sick.

torchomatic

It's just not for sale to the City's football club, it seems.

So when Tim Fisher keeps spouting off that the Ricoh isn't for sale that isn't strictly true then?

I don't expect you to answer that Simon by the way ;)

duffer

Of course it would, I mean moving a club far more than 35 miles from its fan base is perfectly acceptable to ACL and the Council who made various statements about the disgrace of a football club being moved from their home.

And of course from a Commercial angle it would make sense to potentially destroy the Rugby Club of your own city wouldn't it, to make a fast buck from some far flung team.

F***ing hypocrites, it makes me sick.

It's a bit of a step from Wasps moving here to assuming that Cov RFC would fail. Most of the rugby fans that I know go to watch Cov RFC because they're from Coventry. I'd have absolutely no interest in watching Wasps instead of Cov RFC.

And I'd absolutely agree it's hypocritical complaining about one team being moved from their home, whilst enabling another team to do the same (even though Wasps have already moved from their home at least once).

But commercially, can you expect ACL to sit tight and do nothing whilst CCFC keep pushing with the court case and insisting they're looking for a new ground?

Last edited:

duffer

The Ricoh in terms of freehold probably isn't. But at least at one point in time a share of ACL was. It might be again. Whose fault is it that that didn't happen first time around, and doesn't seem likely to now either?

Kingokings204

Seems to be scaremongering from ACL. It will never happen. Sisu could of bought this and done this 2-3 years ago now or even more and then would be getting all this extra income from rugby sides and concerts.

I bet they are kicking themselves now. Would of got a bargain for 50% at 4-5mil was it? Bargain IMO.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is calling Seppala's bluff. If you are so keen on the club owning the ground then either press on with building your own or bid for one that already exists.

Otis

It's just not for sale to the current owners of the football club.The problem's not with CCFC, it's with Sisu.

I'm sure they would consider selling to different owners. Don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but it appears that both ACL and the council have a complete distrust of Sisu and a real hatred too.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
It's just not for sale to the current owners of the football club. I'm sure they would consider selling to different owners. Don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but it appears that both ACL and the council have a complete distrust of Sisu and a real hatred too.

and yet we are told by TF/SW that the club is working well in partnership together with ACL .......... that ACL are glad to have them back and treating them like platinum clients :thinking about:

MichaelCCFC

LS and Duffer, decent points
Looks to be part of the game be It round or Oval
Fairly sure ACL will have evaluated the likely fall out from this and deemed It worth It
They may be privacy to detail re the Club we are not
The reaction of City fans Is as expected , but I suspect were getting hot under the collar over not a lot
Let the spin begin

Hi Wingy

Even if there's not a word of truth in this, the very fact the story is out there and acl haven't denied it undermines all the talk of a fresh slate and working for a better future. It makes the future look as uncertain as ever and betrays the efforts of SP and the team and shows total disrespect for fans. Whether it's a game, a bluff etc doesn't matter - it just undermines positivity and means (as shown by this thread) the focus is yet again on negative stuff off the field which can't be ignored cos it has consequences for on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread