Wasps in talks to takeover Ricoh (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

What if wasps are buying the council share and not Higgs?

Good point. It wasn't that long ago AL was saying publicly that "they would consider any serious offer" in response to SISU's repeated "the Ricoh is not for sale" line. Looks like someone from the Wasps heard her and sees an opportunity.

SISU either better stop fooking around and get in front of the council with some serious intentions of buying ACL or get in front of the council with some serious intentions of them buying some land in Coventry, not the Coventry "area" and get on with building our own ground or get the fook out of our club.

Deliberately loosing the JR (as you put it) has only backed them further into a corner. It's time to get serious or get gone.

skybluetony176

The only thing that tells me that it could happen is that egg chasing is a Northern game. And a stadium in the Midlands could get support from both Londoners as well as Northerners.

My boss, who's a big rugby fan thinks wasps moving to Coventry permanently could work. They would now have 2 local Midlands derbies with arguably the 2 largest rugby clubs in the country, Northampton and Leicester. And as they have a stadium paying for itself there is nothing stopping them renting a London based stadium on a one game at a time basis for the traditional London derbies with quins and London irish. In essence they could end up with the best of all world's securing their long term future with 4 big home games a season and 1 permanent stadium that pays it's own way. When you put it like that this could be more dangerous for our club than us football fans understand.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

My boss, who's a big rugby fan thinks wasps moving to Coventry permanently could work. They would now have 2 local Midlands derbies with arguably the 2 largest rugby clubs in the country, Northampton and Leicester. And as they have a stadium paying for itself there is nothing stopping them renting a London based stadium on a one game at a time basis for the traditional London derbies with quins and London irish. In essence they could end up with the best of all world's securing their long term future with 4 big home games a season and 1 permanent stadium that pays it's own way. When you put it like that this could be more dangerous for our club than us football fans understand.

It makes perfect sense from a Wasps perspective. Local location for regular games, plus a super-home for significant home and European games (don't forget that ), which is an hour from Euston. Don't forget, they're playing at Wycombe now, so it's no less convenient than their current arrangement. They no longer refer to themselves as London Wasps; note well. I have previously posted in this issue, and explained I knew it was a serious option.

Think of it another way, if they don't get the controlling share, and are merely tenants, with access to revenues; that could make the financial proposition of ownership more attractive to SISU? After all, they're not short of cash - just will and motivation. Maybe this could change that mindset?!?

lewys33

Wow........ Just wow. Fair enough playing their European games there whilst they sort their own London based stadium out (still a little suspect) but this is unbelievable. Wasps fans weren't too happy about the prospect of the European games being there so I can imagine this news has been welcomed with open arms. If this actually comes off then ccfc is fucked, crfc is fucked, and wasps will probably reap all the benefits (whilst by causing the above I would also like them to be fucked)!

skybluetony176

It makes perfect sense from a Wasps perspective. Local location for regular games, plus a super-home for significant home and European games (don't forget that ), which is an hour from Euston. Don't forget, they're playing at Wycombe now, so it's no less convenient than their current arrangement. They no longer refer to themselves as London Wasps; note well. I have previously posted in this issue, and explained I knew it was a serious option.

Think of it another way, if they don't get the controlling share, and are merely tenants, with access to revenues; that could make the financial proposition of ownership more attractive to SISU? After all, they're not short of cash - just will and motivation. Maybe this could change that mindset?!?

Forgot about the rail links, especially once the new station opens. Also according to my boss wasps average home gate went up when they moved to Wycombe. Haven't had chance to verify that but maybe travelling to home games isn't as big an issue to rugby fans as it is to football fans. Perhaps the handful of games they already have arranged at the Ricoh is them testing the water before making a serious bid for a controlling stake in ACL. Try before you buy (if you pardon the rugby pun).

shmmeee

Nice to see the anti-ACL crazies have something to do now. Must have been a while since you could make up a scenario then get very angry about it. This is a nice consolation after you lost the main argument ;)

luwalla

time for SISU to put up or shut up... they keep spurting the old "the ricoh isnt for sale" rubbish.. well clearly it is!!! just not for the price they want to pay.

However, if SISU do now stop messing around and put a serious offer in, then ACL need to take it seriously & even give their offer prefernce over the wasps offer. This is our football club & our ground, being run by COVENTRY CITY council ( yes the higgs as well but its clear who wears the trousers oin the ACL partnership! )

another day ... another drama!

skybluetony176

Wow........ Just wow. Fair enough placing their European games there whilst they sort their own London based stadium out (still a little suspect) but this is unbelievable. Wasps fans weren't too happy about the prospect of the European games being there so I can imagine this news has been welcomed with open arms. If this actually comes off then ccfc is fucked, crfc is fucked, and wasps will probably reap all the benefits (whilst by causing the above I would also like them to be fucked)!

The London base could well be main reason behind this potential move to Coventry.

How many Ricoh arenas in Coventry could you buy for 1 Ricoh arena in London?

I agree, if this happens then CCFC is fucked. SISU need to stop funking around with litigation and get serious. Following from all the 2 horse race analogies we've had in the last year at the moment the race for the Ricoh is a 1 horse race because the route SISU have taken doesn't get you in the race.

Potentially, where the club is concerned this is a right royal fuck up by SISU. Again!

Last edited:

Steve.B50

Although I am a Rugby fan I am far from happy about this and feel very sorry for Coventry Rugby Club.
How can our Council agree to sell part of the Ricoh to another group outside the City and not involve the rate payers of Coventry and the Football club.I for one have always defended the Council but on this occasion I am far from being on there side.
Once again the fans need to get together and show how they feel, we cannot accept a franchise club being set up in Coventry that will not just kill our own Rugby history but could in reality force our football team to leave the City.

Rusty Trombone

Although I am a Rugby fan I am far from happy about this and feel very sorry for Coventry Rugby Club.
How can our Council agree to sell part of the Ricoh to another group outside the City and not involve the rate payers of Coventry and the Football club.I for one have always defended the Council but on this occasion I am far from being on there side.
Once again the fans need to get together and show how they feel, we cannot accept a franchise club being set up in Coventry that will not just kill our own Rugby history but could in reality force our football team to leave the City.

Have the Council agreed to sell the Ricoh, or their share of ACL?

Moff

Am I reading this right, its a perfect scenario for Wasps?

I dont think it is for Coventry Rugby Club though, but hey ho dont worry as they are not as significant as the Football team. Lets let them die so we can get to see some Premiership Rugby. :facepalm:

I wonder how many would be so reasoned if another football club was looking to buy a controlling stake in the Ricoh so it could play games there to increase its fanbase.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Am I reading this right, its a perfect scenario for Wasps?

I dont think it is for Coventry Rugby Club though, but hey ho dont worry as they are not as significant as the Football team. Lets let them die so we can get to see some Premiership Rugby. :facepalm:

I wonder how many would be so reasoned if another football club was looking to buy a controlling stake in the Ricoh so it could play games there to increase its fanbase.

I spoke about it's business case. The emotional and moral stance is another thing I didn't address, but shall when I get to work. However, don't put words in my mouth. I played for Coventry Rugby Club; and still have - for example - a signed copy of David Duckham's last game programme for the club hanging up in my house. I wouldn't wish for any harm to come to them whatsoever. But that doesn't stop me taking a business judgement on Wasps' intent; whether I like it or not

Last edited:

MichaelCCFC

Excellent post, Steve - spot on. I haven't seen a single post on here nor spoken to any City fan who doesn't oppose the wasps idea. Is the Trust going to convey this to acl-ccc in no uncertain terms?

Ashdown

Apart from the odd big European night where extra capacity and improved facilities are needed for the big occasion, this must not become any permanent sort of arrangement. I can understand the financial benefits to the City of Coventry with an influx of Londoners to the area but money isn't everything. We have a rugby club of our own, one that has significant history and dates back 130 years, they must be paramount in all this. The people of Coventry and Warks need to get off their arses and support their sports teams in numbers, for a City and surrounds of our size the backing for its 4 main teams is largely pitiful at times !

Astute

I am fully against a Wasps move to our arena in any way. Rental terms would be bad enough.

But it could be good news. If it makes Fisher stop coming out with his normal crap and it also makes Joy take things more serious about ownership/taking over the Higgs share it would be what we all want. We don't even know if any of it is true.

Otis

Most people OTIS. Its not hard to see.

I don't see your argument. Even if it is quieter, then so what?

When Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes how big a percentage of Milton Keynes citizens were against the move or spoke out against it?

The bottom line is there is a vast difference between having your club taken away from you and the situation whereby a new club comes into your home. We were rightly outraged when CCFC relocated to Northampton. Northampton fans were obviously not as miffed as we were and there were fewer rumblings. No marches to be had there.

When Wimbledon relocated to MK, then Wimbledon fans were quite rightly outraged, MK Dons fans, not so.

No-one here approves of Wasps or anyone else relocating here, but surely no-one in their right mind would suggest that people should be just as up in arms about it as when we were taken to Sixifelds.

It has to affect you on a much more personal level to get that degree of outrage. If this adversely affects CCFC then you watch the 'quietness' sky rocket. The people at the moment who should be totally outraged are the fans and owners of Coventry Rugy Club. The rest of us are just totally opposed to the move.

Steve.B50

Excellent post, Steve - spot on. I haven't seen a single post on here nor spoken to any City fan who doesn't oppose the wasps idea. Is the Trust going to convey this to acl-ccc in no uncertain terms?

Hi Michael
This is my personal view but we will be discussing in some detail on Monday evening. Hope you are well.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Why don't the Wasps move to Brandon. Then we'd have the Wasps and Bees. Could call the new ground Brandon Stingers! :thinking about:

*** .......I'll get my coat....... ***

torchomatic

The people of Coventry would boycott it though, wouldn't they? After all they are talking about merging with Cov, taking the name and relocating from Middlesex. I imagine the move would be unanimously condemned by all on here?

Otis

The people of Coventry would boycott it though, wouldn't they? After all they are talking about merging with Cov, taking the name and relocating from Middlesex. I imagine the move would be unanimously condemned by all on here?

Unfortunately though Torch, not everyone has a concience and I bet there are plenty of rugby fans out there for don't support Cov who would go up and I dare say there may well be some Cov rugby fans who would switch to see a higher level of the game.

MichaelCCFC

Hi Michael
This is my personal view but we will be discussing in some detail on Monday evening. Hope you are well.

I think the Trust will have 100% support on this one. Might also be time to whack in the Asset of Community Value (not sure that's the right phrase) application - the interests of acl-ccc are not the same as supporters.

Didn't see you at Scunny and tomorrow I'm going to cov not Rochdale but maybe see you at PNE

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
All this talk about insects is making me feel ANTI Sisu! :whistle:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

They're not moving from Middlesex now. They were playing at Loftus Road until they moved to Wycombe's ground. Back in 2006, Wasps were looking at spending circa. £5m to build a new stand to increase capacity there to 15K; then about three years ago, were looking at a brand new build; again in the Wycombe area. That's why the 'investment' in the Ricoh at the values we can all conclude makes sense.

The haven't been with stable home for ages - started in Shepards Bush and renting places in and around London until the '20s when they settled in Sudbury, then to Loftus Road with the mid-minutes Christopher Wright (Chrysalis) involvement. I bring your attention to their fan's current 'trek'....

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Sudbury-London/London-Wasps

This is a wholly different situation to the CCFC move to Northampton. To compare the two is to compare apples to Bombay Mix...

Snouty72

Wasps sponsors are CVS. A business property service based in Manchester and London. I had heard they were looking to get established in the Midlands as my mate works for them. Surely this would fit in with the move for the Ricoh?

Is it also possible that through business connections SISU have links with someone in the Wasps set up. Wasps buy the stadium, then later City and wasps merge as a sporting entity and through the back door SISU have the stake in the stadium they wanted...

I km=now its all conjecture but wouldn't be beyond the realms of believe.

Users who are viewing this thread