Waghorn (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Who’s gonna take Waghorn though ? Unless he can blag a newly promoted club for a final pay day
Dunno really. Maybe a Russian team will take him when all the players decide to walk away from their league.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cc84cov

Dunno really. Maybe a Russian team will take him when all the players decide to walk away from their league.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I just hope next pre season we get it right mate,How he stayed ahead of Walker is a joke at least walker offered goal scoring,Waghorn finishing is shocking and his legs are gone

DannyThomas_1981

We’ve taken 10 points out of the last 15. Yesterday we saw one of the most memorable late equalizers in CBS history. That goal was scored by a young player with fantastic potential. We have a real chance of the play offs which is amazing. And a week’s rest to regroup.
Yet some on here prefer to spend their time targeting and slagging off one of our own players?

stupot07

Rather him on peanuts though than Waghorn on 40k a week G

Waghorn just doesn’t seem sharp enough or fit enough robins can’t be happy with his return
40k per week. You're having a laugh

So according to you bidwell is on 45k per week (£2.34m per year) and Waghorn is on £40k pw (£2.1m per year) absolute nonsense. Pur entire player wage bill will be about £7m tops.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Grendel

40k per week. You're having a laugh

So according to you bidwell is on 45k per week (£2.34m per year) and Waghorn is on £40k pw (£2.1m per year) absolute nonsense. Pur entire player wage bill will be about £7m tops.

It is nonsense but gross wages (inc management) is £13 million

stupot07

It is nonsense but gross wages (inc management) is £13 million
We'll have a better idea when last years accounts come out next month.

I know you can't believe everything you read in the Internet but a quick good search suggests both Waghorn and Bidwell were on about £10k pa week at Derby/Swansea. But we, with one of the smallest budgets in the league have quadruple'd their wages to come here

Adge

Silly that people are still droning on about Max-he can’t even hide behind the smokescreen of being the selfie king (which somehow equates to being a good player in some people’s eyes) anymore as he is basically unattached (albeit still registered with Dundee Utd)
I’ve been as disappointed as everyone else with Waggler but let’s not write him off just yet-very stop start with Covid and injuries, so a full pre-season may see him come out of the starting blocks.
Saved Derby on the last day of the season last year almost single handed.

Grendel

I know you can't believe everything you read in the Internet but a quick good search suggests both Waghorn and Bidwell were on about £10k pa week at Derby/Swansea. But we, with one of the smallest budgets in the league have quadruple'd their wages to come here

theyve Come out I’m quoting from them

Ccfcisparks

We have something like £13m gross wages and 177 staff on the books meaning the avaerage wage of all staff is about 1,500 a week. That would suggest average weekly wage of the squad is about 7-8k a week.

The Philosopher

I thought Waghorn was on £13k plus a big sign on fee.

Should have offered Max £3k (doubt Dundee pay more or a L1 club wound) and had a good chunk available for other signings.

That’s all.

Grendel

We have something like £13m gross wages and 177 staff on the books meaning the avaerage wage of all staff is about 1,500 a week. That would suggest average weekly wage of the squad is about 7-8k a week.
I thought Waghorn was on £13k plus a big sign on fee.

Should have offered Max £3k (doubt Dundee pay more or a L1 club wound) and had a good chunk available for other signings.

That’s all.

lol why would you offer £3k a week for a proven failure at this level the signing of waghorn is irrelevant to who we actually released

The Philosopher

lol why would you offer £3k a week for a proven failure at this level the signing of waghorn is irrelevant to who we actually released
We would have still had the same number of strikers but ability to strengthen / punt / invest.

The point was then, as now, that signing a 31 y.o. Who will be 34 at contract end is not an investment; we can’t sell him. It’s a big cost.

Gyok was a fee but young and a saleable asset. Same Sheaf. Max would have been cheap.

Waghorn didn’t fit the model of buy young and potentially sell on. I said then it was a bonkers signing for the cost.

The 10k week over 2/3 years saving us a million plus on the playing budget.

Ok, Grendel, you win.

Grendel

We would have still had the same number if strikers but ability to strengthen / punt / invest.

The point was then, as now, that signing a 31 y.o. Who will be 34 at contract end is not an investment; we can’t sell him. It’s a big cost.

Gyok was a fee but young and a saleable asset. Same Sheaf. Max would have been cheap.

Waghorn didn’t fit the model of buy young and potentially sell on. I said then it was a bonkers signing for the cost.

The 10k week over 2/3 years saving us a million plus on the playing budget.

Ok, Grendel, you win.

we signed godden on an extended contract until 34 virtually, we extended Mcfazdean we’ve signed Bidwell on all but a 4 year contract - we will spend what we spend and chose waghorn

Why that equates to biamou at all I’ve no idea

Sick Boy

I know I’m going to get pellets for this but I’ll say it anyway:

I said at the time I thought him a bad signing and with the wage budget he soaks up we could have signed another player and kept Max. Someone posted a video of Walker’s goals yesterday on here and Max was there holding off defenders and giving great assists. Don’t know the stats for goals / minute or assists for Max / Wag because there’s no need; Waghorn has done F-All.

It was strange, as I said at the time, that we’d let go of our physical forwards (those with pace / strength Baka, Kasta, Max, players who could hold up or run through a defence, muscle at corners etc. and not replaced them and had no stuntman to step in to Gyok to receive the long balls through the middle.)

Now, for clarity, Baka and Kasta were not good enough. Max was not good enough to be our main threat but a perfectly decent, committed back up who knew our system and didn’t “need time to gel” (which was the excuse for Waghorn for the first few weeks). Also, he would have given us the opportunity to stop having to run Gyok into the ground like a Mijas Donkey.

In short, I said it then and I’ll say it now. We shouldn’t have signed Waghorn, kept the slightly younger Max and used the big difference in wages to sign a couple of other players. A couple of young gambles where we might have got jackpot transfer fees rather than the dead cert that we wouldn’t get a fee for Waghorn.

Wrong player. Wrong age, wrong wage, wrong attributes.

All wrong.

I got laughed at for saying this before but I’ll stand by my thoughts then and now.
Biamou isn't good enough to be a back up option for us, it's time to let go.

The Philosopher

we signed godden on an extended contract until 34 virtually, we extended Mcfazdean we’ve signed Bidwell on all but a 4 year contract - we will spend what we spend and chose waghorn

Why that equates to biamou at all I’ve no idea
They were already here, proven and had earned the extension. Important to show good management by extending the contracts of those who show ability, commitment and loyalty.

Waghorn - no.

Grendel

They were already here, proven and had earned the extension. Important to show good management by extending the contracts of those who show ability, commitment and loyalty.

Waghorn - no.

Bidwell wasn’t here

The Philosopher

Bidwell wasn’t here
Agree, but then I think him a strange signing too. Less so than Waghorn though.

Fadz and Godden also have the late-to-league aspect. Often players who aren’t full time all through their developing years end up playing longer. Perhaps it’s less wear and tear. There are Doyle like exceptions but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

Grendel

Agree, but then I think him a strange signing too. Less so than Waghorn though.

Fadz and Godden also have the late-to-league aspect. Often players who aren’t full time all through their developing years end up playing longer. Perhaps it’s less wear and tear. There are Doyle like exceptions but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

late to league aspect?

godden was playing in tbe championship at 19

The Philosopher

So Waghorn is the latest scapegoat?
Although he has another year on his contract I'd expect he would find another club in close season without too much difficulty if the club was happy to let him go on a free
Not a scapegoat, a strange / risky / out of model plan signing that hasn’t, by any measure, been a success.

I do find that should unfortunate truths be pointed out on here then there’s a load of “your latest boo-boy?” type of reaction.

I used to point out that Sheaf needed to work on his retention but he had talent. He seems to have sorted that.

Waghorn was a poor judgment imo.

Not boo boys. Not scapegoats. Just views.

Grendel

Not a scapegoat, a strange / risky / out of model plan signing that hasn’t, by any measure, been a success.

I do find that should unfortunate truths be pointed out on here then there’s a load of “your latest boo-boy?” type of reaction.

I used to point out that Sheaf needed to work on his retention but he had talent. He seems to have sorted that.

Waghorn was a poor judgment imo.

Not boo boys. Not scapegoats. Just views.

well hindsight and also lack of awareness that offering a lumbering failure like biamou would be sound business

unfortunate truths? You rated Shipley a 5 yesterday

SBT

So Waghorn is the latest scapegoat?
Although he has another year on his contract I'd expect he would find another club in close season without too much difficulty if the club was happy to let him go on a free

More of an albatross than a scapegoat.

For the money he’s being paid, it’s fair to expect more from a player who’s delivered very little on the pitch. I’m not going to start booing him or anything, but it’s hard to argue we wouldn’t be higher up the table if his wages had gone on another player this summer. Yesterday made a mockery of the argument that he somehow unshackles Gyokeres.

Legia Sky Blue

I wasn't overly please when we signed him although I could see some logic in bringing in an older head. Pre-season a lot of our fans had overblown expectations of him given that his record last season gave every indication his performances and career trajectory were on the slide. I think a fair few had seen the last game of last season where he clearly was inspirational in keeping Derby up and expected that is what we would see, rather than judge it for the one off game it was, and not judge him by the poorer performances he had clearly provided in the season prior to that.

With our squad size being what it is we are obviously going to need to utilise him, and given confidence levels are crucial to performance we might yet see a different player if he can get a couple of goals to his name. At the least you would hope he can be a good pro around our younger players and help their development, even if as looks likely he is going to flit in and out the team, rather than be a regular.

ceetee

I thought that Gyokeres was less effective possibly because he was drifting wider. When he's on his own he knows it's all his space

cc84cov

Waghorn gotta be the highest earner ? Heard numerous times he was on 13k a week with hefty signing on fee,Ohare & Godden can’t be far off that but at least they run around a bit,Foghorn can’t even keep fit he’s a slug up front...

shame we let walker go for the Fig Rolls Royce

@Greggs was right

cc84cov

Waghorn was embarrassingly bad yesterday. His ball control was abysmal and as someone said earlier, he turned his back on play numerous times.
He is overweight and unbelievably slow. Think we have to accept this time we have signed a donkey on its last legs.
At one point he ran away from O’Hare pass and had the nerve tO blame O’Hare

Users who are viewing this thread