Waghorn (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 2477

So Waghorn is the latest scapegoat?
Although he has another year on his contract I'd expect he would find another club in close season without too much difficulty if the club was happy to let him go on a free
Every week someone puts a post up slating the latest boo boy that attracts a string of criticism. To think the season we have had yet from a quick recolection this season we have had threads writting off the following players at some stage and yet a few weeks later they are heroes. some people are so fickle and call themselves fans.
from a quick recollection this season we have had threads slating or writting off.
Wilson
Moore
Dabo
Kane
Hyam
O’Hare
Sheaf
Shipley
Alan
Waghorn
Walker
Godden

when you look at that list you have to wonder do some people just get a kick out of moaning about players rather than supporting the team

rexo87

Just read through this thread. He was shocking yesterday but don't think he deserves the abuse he is getting. It's not for a lack of effort at the moment he just looks badly out of form.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

SkyblueTexan

These are paid professionals, and much like any profession out there, they are liable to be lauded or criticized for their efforts. I think as fans, we are wholeheartedly behind the team and recognize how far we’ve come in the last few years. However, when the players don’t live up to expectations or put forth the required effort or commit blunders, I think it’s only natural for the fans to react negatively. Similarly, the fans are going to praise those who consistently do well or fight hard to keep the shirt. I believe most fans see things within this context and are not blindly biased for or against an individual. We can forgive the occasional error, but when it’s when a negative trend starts to develop that we as fans have a low tolerance for.

slowpoke

i am thinking about it, you have your opinion on Waghorn, i accept that, but i have mine, with waghorn in the side, its like playing with 10 men, he just can't be arsed
Where have I expressed an opinion on Waghorn in the side ?

The Philosopher

For me it’s not Waghorn or effort necessarily, it’s why we signed a 31 year old on a hefty contract. We’ve had Tudgay, Beavon etc recently and surely we can see how these things play out. The money would have been far better spent elsewhere.

There might be the aspect of having an experienced “tricky fox finisher” to help on the training ground but Robins himself has enough experience to pass on in that area.

I hope that next season we don’t make any similar type signings. Use our budget to get younger / better potential players on who we might be able to sell and the reinvest / progress.

Tea & Busquets

We need a competent backup or partner to Gyok, and I can’t see Wagz filling that void at the moment. Would like to see us go for Harry Cornick on a free transfer from Luton in the summer.

Torquay Sky Blue

For me it’s not Waghorn or effort necessarily, it’s why we signed a 31 year old on a hefty contract. We’ve had Tudgay, Beavon etc recently and surely we can see how these things play out. The money would have been far better spent elsewhere.

There might be the aspect of having an experienced “tricky fox finisher” to help on the training ground but Robins himself has enough experience to pass on in that area.

I hope that next season we don’t make any similar type signings. Use our budget to get younger / better potential players on who we might be able to sell and the reinvest / progress.
Or why have we signed a hefty 31 year old on any kind of contract

stevefloyd

Although he has another year on his contract I'd expect he would find another club in close season without too much difficulty if the club was happy to let him go on a free
I don't really think he's a scapegoat but its clear for all to see he isn't really offering anything, his control is poor his shooting is poor and his goal return is dreaful.. On the Max thing he at least offered a little more but bloody hell people saying they would rather have Max back...OMFG

The Philosopher

I don't really think he's a scapegoat but its clear for all to see he isn't really offering anything, his control is poor his shooting is poor and his goal return is dreaful.. On the Max thing he at least offered a little more but bloody hell people saying they would rather have Max back...OMFG
Can’t see anyone saying they’d rather have Max back now, just that we would have been better having Max as a backup on say £3k week than the even older Waghorn on a reputed £13k at that point in time. Not now. Then.

It might be we would have another £10k/week of budget (it might be 9,8,7,6 - whatever) to get in other players to add depth / potential.

That’s the point I think.

slowpoke

Had Matty Godden not had appendicitis it’s likely Waghorn would have been third choice striker if Robins deems we should play with a front two then Waghorn is or was the only choice, Tavares might change that now.

cc84cov

Had Matty Godden not had appendicitis it’s likely Waghorn would have been third choice striker if Robins deems we should play with a front two then Waghorn is or was the only choice, Tavares might change that now.
3rd choice on reportedly 13k a week and signing on fee,I think he came to be one of first choice

sylus

3rd choice on reportedly 13k a week and signing on fee,I think he came to be one of first choice

i think initially you are right, but i feel now the pecking order has changed, ,1, Gyok , 2 Godden, 3 Tavares, 4 slowhorn

The Philosopher

He may well find another club but he still has a year on his contract minimum at 13k/week (allegedly). I’m not sure he’ll get that elsewhere at 32 so he’ll either sit it out, we’ll loan him out at part wage, or we pay him off.

Either way, he could be costing us up to 750k (fag packet with tax and extras thrown in).

I’ll say it again. Not wise to sight 31 year olds on big money.

KenilworthSkyBlue

waste of a budget by the manager

You can't blame Robins on poor recruitment. Undoubtedly the buck stops with him due to his role but he doesn't even head up the recruitment. It's still an error in judgement by all involved of course.

At least we can be thankful we didn't hand him a 3 year contact.

lifeskyblue

Thought waghorn played well early in season and took lot of pressure away from Gyokeres to score his run of goals. He also was excellent at holding the ball up and relieving pressure from the defence/midfield. Not surprised Gyokeres scoring dried up when waghorn out with covid/injury.
But since he came back into the team he hasn’t produced; lost a yard of pace and final touch missing. Is it result of long covid or not yet back to full fitness or just age catching up with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2477

Walker not exactly pulling up trees either in league 1. Not even making the fist 11 now and hasnt scored a goal. Cant see them buying him off us as MR hoped I think and no way are we getting our £1 mil back. Can see him going on a free in the summer to a league 1 or 2 club

The Philosopher

Walker not exactly pulling up trees either in league 1. Not even making the fist 11 now and hasnt scored a goal. Cant see them buying him off us as MR hoped I think and no way are we getting our £1 mil back. Can see him going on a free in the summer to a league 1 or 2 club
I think Walker still has enough of a reputation to be by attractive to say Lincoln or Mansfield or wherever he’s done well before. My guess is a half-season long loan at half wages rather than a free. Again, he won’t get what he earns here easily on current form so “letting him go on a free” will mean him either getting his contract paid up or him sitting around on higher money than he’ll get elsewhere.

He’s proven at L2 so might end up there or the SFL, bag a load of goals, restore his rep and confidence etc.

I reckon he’ll do a JCH - down a league or two and do well.

If it’s a choice of paying one off at a discount (pay them half their contract to go) then at it’d be Waghorn. If Walker scores 15 goals in half a season then things may change for him.

Users who are viewing this thread