Waghorn (3 Viewers)

The Philosopher

I guess that the tax man does and by extension (If he is set up as a Ltd co) it could be found out.

£13k has been touted, may well be less but still not good value atm.

cc84cov

You were wrong in your early assessments then ?
Did I not praise him early no ? I’m sure I was ok with him after people were moaning about his debut on tour...also it’s not my job to get transfers right I don’t get paid to do it but even I wouldn’t of signed Waghorn expensive and past it

ccfc1234

Waghorn was embarrassingly bad yesterday. His ball control was abysmal and as someone said earlier, he turned his back on play numerous times.
He is overweight and unbelievably slow. Think we have to accept this time we have signed a donkey on its last legs.

Who identified him as a buy? Last season we were desperately short on goals so to rectify that we spent a huge chunk of the recruitment budget on a player with a 1 in 4 strike rate at Derby and the season before we signed him it was 1 in 6!! This season he is 1 in 20, the poorest conversion rate we have had for a forward perhaps since Kevin Kyle!

Robins puts a brave face on it during interviews justifying not taking Waghon off until 80 mins vs Barnsley as 'trying to get a few more mins into Waggies legs' Taraves has been on the pitch less than 10 mins in the last 2 home games and we have scored 2 goals one of them a screamer by him.

I suspect small p politics plays a part in all this as the players will know Waghorn is one of the biggest earners and has a been there done that career at this level and playing the kid instead of him might just send a few toys flying out of prams which would be bad for the team overall.

SlowerThanPlatt

Who identified him as a buy? Last season we were desperately short on goals so to rectify that we spent a huge chunk of the recruitment budget on a player with a 1 in 4 strike rate at Derby and the season before we signed him it was 1 in 6!! This season he is 1 in 20, the poorest conversion rate we have had for a forward perhaps since Kevin Kyle!

In League 2 Biamou went about 25 games without scoring

Speedie's Head

I'd be surprised if Waghorn has been 100% fit for any of his starts this season. Early doors he was still building up fitness until his injury. Now he obviously needs a few starts and some confidence. It'll come, just like with Godden - remember his slow start in L1? Goal scorers don't just forget their game.

NorthernWisdom

I'd be surprised if Waghorn has been 100% fit for any of his starts this season. Early doors he was still building up fitness until his injury. Now he obviously needs a few starts and some confidence. It'll come, just like with Godden - remember his slow start in L1? Goal scorers don't just forget their game.
Has he ever actually been a goalscorer though? I'd always had him as goal provider who'd chip in with a couple himself, rather than the man to rely on to score them.

Speedie's Head

Has he ever actually been a goalscorer though? I'd always had him as goal provider who'd chip in with a couple himself, rather than the man to rely on to score them.

Seems to have scored more than a few 2015-21 at Rangers, Ipswich and Derby. 74 according to the Wiki - not 20 a season but that's not to be sniffed at in anybody's language.

NorthernWisdom

Seems to have scored more than a few 2015-21 at Rangers, Ipswich and Derby. 74 according to the Wiki - not 20 a season but that's not to be sniffed at in anybody's language.
A good season with Rangers in their second division doesn't really count!

Other than that, a good season for Ipswich, sure, but if you get double figures out of him in a season he's doing well.

Speedie's Head

A good season with Rangers in their second division doesn't really count!

Other than that, a good season for Ipswich, sure, but if you get double figures out of him in a season he's doing well.

These players aren't 10 a penny - I'd take it too, We are the only club with two players in double figures just now. He seems like a great lad to have around the squad too. He always goes over to a player on the ground and he looked genuinely happy for Tavares on Saturday even though he knew that it might affect his playing time. There's still a long way to go in the season and he could still play his part.

NorthernWisdom

These players aren't 10 a penny - I'd take it too, We are the only club with two players in double figures just now. He seems like a great lad to have around the squad too. He always goes over to a player on the ground and he looked genuinely happy for Tavares on Saturday even though he knew that it might affect his playing time. There's still a long way to go in the season and he could still play his part.
He's got double figures four times in his career, and one of thse was when Rangers bullied their way up from the lower leagues.

Goalscorer, he ain't.

He might bring other qualities, but you wouldn't sign him for his goalscoring... unless you're comparing to O'Hare, anyway!

lord_garrincha

Waghorn & Gyokeres certainly did not play like a pair on Saturday. Both extremely detached from one another. That could be either player's fault or just the way Preston set up.

If anyone thought he would score 15+ this season then they were deluded, but this spell since coming back has not been great.

Although, I think Martyn will hope that this thread goes past 10 pages... He might be on £250k a week by then!

CBS16

Seeing people tag him in Twitter comments slagging him off. Why on earth would people do that to our own player? One thing stating an opinion another tagging players in comments slagging them off, these fans should be banned along with the pitch invaders oddballs

slowpoke

Waghorn & Gyokeres certainly did not play like a pair on Saturday. Both extremely detached from one another. That could be either player's fault or just the way Preston set up.

If anyone thought he would score 15+ this season then they were deluded, but this spell since coming back has not been great.

Although, I think Martyn will hope that this thread goes past 10 pages... He might be on £250k a week by then!
They were up against a good Preston defence especially Sepp van den Berg another Liverpool starlet only 20 on loan to PNE if I was MR I’d keep my eye on him for next season.

Users who are viewing this thread