Transfer Rumours (1 Viewer)

skyblueelephant76

Who knows. At his age maybe it's more about the project now. A promotion winning season and scoring goals again might be enough for him

I want Chaplin as he has similar attributes to mcnukty and mcgoldrick still mind you.
McGoldrick has been linked with WBA, Villa and Bristol City in the last few days - he's not coming to League One.

Gint11

Make a statement, sign Billy Sharp. Only a year left on his current deal at Sheff Utd, 32 only played 20 times in Championship last year.

You been eating too much Greggs Greggs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchester_sky_blue

Who knows. At his age maybe it's more about the project now. A promotion winning season and scoring goals again might be enough for him

I want Chaplin as he has similar attributes to mcnukty and mcgoldrick still mind you.
I keep thinking, there's no way we are signing Crouch.......... Except for the fact that we all said the same thing about Joe Cole.........

fatso

I keep thinking, there's no way we are signing Crouch.......... Except for the fact that we all said the same thing about Joe Cole.........
I’m sure we could find room for a has been who’s legs have gone. We could play him alongside the prolific Biamou and JCH and just play lump ball.

mark82

I’m sure we could find room for a has been who’s legs have gone. We could play him alongside the prolific Biamou and JCH and just play lump ball.

It won't be him but he still looked good when he came on against us in the cup. His touch is top class. Would be a real asset still at this level but clearly not a McNulty replacement.

pfceggchaser

We've (Pompey) turned down a £250k plus add ons bid from yourselves for Chaplin. Feeling is you'll come back in with an improved bid - we are likely holding out for something around the £400-450k mark. Jackett is holding out for that for us to go and fund a replacement - he's got his eye on a couple of other options and Conor wants to go and play football regularly.

Just a word on him. Outstanding natural talent and finisher. His breakthrough season under Paul Cook was when we also had McNulty and they are both very similar players in terms of style, so can definitely see why you'd be in for him. McNulty was good for us, but was never the same after the January of that season when Caolan Lavery went back to Sheff Weds and by the end, Chaplin was outperforming him and carried that through to the start of what ended up being our promotion winning season. Sparky has done well to get himself a Championship move imo, and has proven himself again with yourselves, surpassing his performances with us. As for Chaplin now, he stalled a little bit at the end of that promotion winning season and even more so last season, despite some key goals in games away at Wigan and MK Dons. There are some question marks over his fitness to play 90 minutes as well. His record from the bench as opposed to when he starts is stark. Has very much made himself into a 'Solskjaer style' super-sub with us, which is a tag he absolutely hates. He's tried to 'beef himself up' and I think that's been to his detriment, as he's not as quick in a sprint race as what he was at 18. The challenge for him is to replicate his 30 min form over 90 mins, and he can't see a way past Pitman and Hawkins here for that to happen. Despite that, he's still capable of getting a goal out of absolutely nothing, and remains very quick over 4 or 5 yards, though not for long sprints as he was at first.

I'll be sorry to see him go personally, because he's a total predator, but at the same time I acknowledge it would be a good move for all parties.

no_loyalty

We've (Pompey) turned down a £250k plus add ons bid from yourselves for Chaplin. Feeling is you'll come back in with an improved bid - we are likely holding out for something around the £400-450k mark. Jackett is holding out for that for us to go and fund a replacement - he's got his eye on a couple of other options and Conor wants to go and play football regularly.

Just a word on him. Outstanding natural talent and finisher. His breakthrough season under Paul Cook was when we also had McNulty and they are both very similar players in terms of style, so can definitely see why you'd be in for him. McNulty was good for us, but was never the same after the January of that season when Caolan Lavery went back to Sheff Weds and by the end, Chaplin was outperforming him and carried that through to the start of what ended up being our promotion winning season. Sparky has done well to get himself a Championship move imo, and has proven himself again with yourselves, surpassing his performances with us. As for Chaplin now, he stalled a little bit at the end of that promotion winning season and even more so last season, despite some key goals in games away at Wigan and MK Dons. There are some question marks over his fitness to play 90 minutes as well. His record from the bench as opposed to when he starts is stark. Has very much made himself into a 'Solskjaer style' super-sub with us, which is a tag he absolutely hates. He's tried to 'beef himself up' and I think that's been to his detriment, as he's not as quick in a sprint race as what he was at 18. The challenge for him is to replicate his 30 min form over 90 mins, and he can't see a way past Pitman and Hawkins here for that to happen. Despite that, he's still capable of getting a goal out of absolutely nothing, and remains very quick over 4 or 5 yards, though not for long sprints as he was at first.

I'll be sorry to see him go personally, because he's a total predator, but at the same time I acknowledge it would be a good move for all parties.

Chaplin sounds a good player, I hope we manage to get him and he can replicate what Sparky did for us. £300k + Peter Vincenti would be a good deal.

pfceggchaser

Chaplin sounds a good player, I hope we manage to get him and he can replicate what Sparky did for us. £300k + Peter Vincenti would be a good deal.
Player exchanges won't interest us I don't think (unless you are chucking in Tom Bayliss :happy:).

We've got a need for 3 players in (RB - deal virtually done for a player we had on loan last season, ACM - deal being negotiated for a loan player and a striker). For months now, going back to the end of last season, many of us have suspected that Chaplin is the one player we would likely sacrifice to get in funds for a different kind of forward. Jackett already has his 'finisher' in Pitman, which is the same category as Chaplin if you like, and a 'target man' in Hawkins. He's looking for someone who may not score masses of goals, but will run the channels and create through causing defenders to make mistakes, as well as chipping in with goals themselves. They'll also likely have the flexibility to play wide, which Chaplin doesn't have.

eastwoodsdustman

Player exchanges won't interest us I don't think (unless you are chucking in Tom Bayliss :happy:).

We've got a need for 3 players in (RB - deal virtually done for a player we had on loan last season, ACM - deal being negotiated for a loan player and a striker). For months now, going back to the end of last season, many of us have suspected that Chaplin is the one player we would likely sacrifice to get in funds for a different kind of forward. Jackett already has his 'finisher' in Pitman, which is the same category as Chaplin if you like, and a 'target man' in Hawkins. He's looking for someone who may not score masses of goals, but will run the channels and create through causing defenders to make mistakes, as well as chipping in with goals themselves. They'll also likely have the flexibility to play wide, which Chaplin doesn't have.
Stuart Beavon is that man.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Unless he is Spanish

Got it, Diego Costa.

giphy.gif

Captain Dart

McGoldrick would be a backward step I think, and having players back never seems to work.
It does sometimes. Doyle being the most recent example & I don't think McSheffrey was a big mistake.
I think the names mainly crop up because most people only know of those players that they have seen play for their team.
Only a few people on this board have good knowledge of up and coming players in the lower leagues.

Nick

Administrator
It does sometimes. Doyle being the most recent example & I don't think McSheffrey was a big mistake.
I think the names mainly crop up because most people only know of those players that they have seen play for their team.
Only a few people on this board have good knowledge of up and coming players in the lower leagues.

How many times did you watch McSheffrey when he came back?

Captain Dart

How many times did you watch McSheffrey when he came back?
Most of them at home, I had a season ticket then.

Captain Dart

Magwitch

I’m a mild
I’m glad it’s not just me... never understood why Murphy didn’t take it and just launch it in the box.

Crews were panicking, I’m convinced we’d have scored again

I’m glad it’s not just me... never understood why Murphy didn’t take it and just launch it in the box.

Crews were panicking, I’m convinced we’d have scored again
I’m a mild man but had I got my hands on McSheffreys throst just after that free-kick I’d still be in jail

Pete in Portugal

Yes, but nobody wants Stuart Beavon

Has anyone heard anything about Beavon moving on?

It's looking increasingly likely that we will have to do some sort of deal with him to cancel his contract. With over 2 weeks of the transfer window to go, we will probably wait to see if his agent can find a club for him, but wages are likely be lower than in his contract with us, so he'd still need some sort of compensation.

Captain Dart

It's looking increasingly likely that we will have to do some sort of deal with him to cancel his contract. With over 2 weeks of the transfer window to go, we will probably wait to see if his agent can find a club for him, but wages are likely be lower than in his contract with us, so he'd still need some sort of compensation.

Something will happen, he is probably holding out for a league team but it will be lower part of league two at best and maybe a well run conference team would suit better.

Magwitch

Might need him we ain’t replaced McNulty yet !

Users who are viewing this thread