Transfer rumours (isn't it nice to talk about football!) (1 Viewer)

larry_david

MR is ruthless so he may surprise us but LB, striker and tricky wingers for sure. Anyone who watches championship football, there's players like eze from qpr who run rings round teams. We have no one who can do that and whilst our style is different, I think we do need that X factor player.

Dare I say it, a Bright type player

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

MR is ruthless so he may surprise us but LB, striker and tricky wingers for sure. Anyone who watches championship football, there's players like eze from qpr who run rings round teams. We have no one who can do that and whilst our style is different, I think we do need that X factor player.

Dare I say it, a Bright type player

Never sure why people keep on saying we need tricky wingers when we don't play with them. If we're playing wingbacks and for some reason we want to switch to a full-back/winger formation one of the wingbacks can push up into the winger position with the other playing the full back. Added advantage then can swap to confuse opposition markers.

Right now (unless MR plans a massive change in formation) wingers are the least of our concerns.

larry_david

Never sure why people keep on saying we need tricky wingers when we don't play with them. If we're playing wingbacks and for some reason we want to switch to a full-back/winger formation one of the wingbacks can push up into the winger position with the other playing the full back. Added advantage then can swap to confuse opposition markers.

Right now (unless MR plans a massive change in formation) wingers are the least of our concerns.
We won't be breaking down Norwich, villa, Fulham etc with westbrooke and Shipley in midfield, absolutely no disrespect to them.

Surely we need a pacey as fuck, can beat a man left or right player to give us an extra dimension, formation change or not

ceetee

Said it before, and have nothing against Jodi but he was much better in L2 than L1, understandably, and perhaps L1 was too soon for him, but he has still to prove himself at higher level than L2.

I think he will but he'll need time and patence

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We won't be breaking down Norwich, villa, Fulham etc with westbrooke and Shipley in midfield, absolutely no disrespect to them.

Surely we need a pacey as fuck, can beat a man left or right player to give us an extra dimension, formation change or not

But why do we need wingers for that? We can get an ACM that could do the same.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Said it before, and have nothing against Jodi but he was much better in L2 than L1, understandably, and perhaps L1 was too soon for him, but he has still to prove himself at higher level than L2.

I think he will but he'll need time and patence

In L1 he was still very tentative about the injury and not at his full confident best. Chances are he'll be a bit the same in Championship at least for a while but an option of the bench as he builds it back up and we can see where his is. Might not be up to the standard but worth giving him a chance to find out. Could save us (and indeed make us) at lot of money if he is.

Winny the Bish

Watching us play Birmingham, the lack of pace we had was so telling. We had to give 100% effort and play lovely football for every chance we created. Desperately need some attackers with speed to be signed over the summer.

Winny the Bish

Also...do we not all think that the lad Giles from Wolves will be our starting LWB next season? I'd put my house on MR bringing him back on loan next season and taking McCallum's spot.

mrtrench

I think we need someone who is really really really really fast - faster than any player has ever been before; can dribble past anyone; two-footed; can shoot and score from anywhere on the pitch and also tackles so nobody can ever beat him. Ideally he'd also be brilliant at headers and can score them from the half-way line.

MR should take a look at Roy, IMO. He's presently with Rovers but we may be able to tempt him.

chiefdave

In L1 he was still very tentative about the injury and not at his full confident best. Chances are he'll be a bit the same in Championship at least for a while but an option of the bench as he builds it back up and we can see where his is. Might not be up to the standard but worth giving him a chance to find out. Could save us (and indeed make us) at lot of money if he is.
Assuming Jones is fit for the start of the season, whenever that is, and we're in the Championship would probably be worth sending him out on loan to get game time.

He's not going to walk straight into a Championship side after so long out and with no experience at that level. Be better off getting minutes in playing proper competitive games.

larry_david

I think we need someone who is really really really really fast - faster than any player has ever been before; can dribble past anyone; two-footed; can shoot and score from anywhere on the pitch and also tackles so nobody can ever beat him. Ideally he'd also be brilliant at headers and can score them from the half-way line.

MR should take a look at Roy, IMO. He's presently with Rovers but we may be able to tempt him.
Really weird reply to what I thought was a realistic request. A pacey player who can beat a man in the championship.

letsallsingtogether

Really weird reply to what I thought was a realistic request. A pacey player who can beat a man in the championship.
No good beating everyone if you dont know what to do with it once you are through.
If they are any good we cant afford them.

better days

Also...do we not all think that the lad Giles from Wolves will be our starting LWB next season? I'd put my house on MR bringing him back on loan next season and taking McCallum's spot.
Doubt it
It didn't work out at all for him here
The other players didn't rate him and the lad himself couldn't work out why he'd been brought in and then hardly featured

larry_david

So strange for Wolves to let him come here without being assured he will get minutes. Why not just leave him at Shrewsbury?
The whole move was bizarre. I think if the season progressed he would have been given more time but if better days says the players didn't rate him, very odd indeed. Unless it was a bold move to give Mason a kick up the arse to compete knowing MR is looking elsewhere but that's a wild theory!

scottccfc

The whole move was bizarre. I think if the season progressed he would have been given more time but if better days says the players didn't rate him, very odd indeed. Unless it was a bold move to give Mason a kick up the arse to compete knowing MR is looking elsewhere but that's a wild theory!
and I seen the other day we paid a fee for his loan too, outbidding shrewsbury in the process

SlowerThanPlatt

Might it have something to do with Mason? Promised a perm/loan move away if not would fight for his place, didn’t materialise wasn’t best pleased and the club panicked and found out who was available via Wolves a club we’ve had loan relations with in the past?

Sky Blue Pete

Some signings work and some don’t. It’s just how it is. He looked pacey and crossed well.
It is also the case that (and to contradict myself) our form was spectacular, maybe not performances but in terms of results.
So he would have had a look in but while he was here we won 8 and drew 2 of the 10 games.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wonder if it was a case for Giles that he was unfortunate to come along at a time when the team that didn't lose again and - unfortunately for him, a lot of the games were only won by the odd goal - if we'd have been coasting more I think he would have got more game time. The 'winning' team mentality was hardly likely to encourage change to include a newcomer, as that would have meant ousting someone. I'd be happy to go for him next season. Looks the right profile of player re: age, development etc that we should be looking for.

larry_david

Or is Giles another player who has been bigged up every opportunity by cet as this pacey wing back with prem potential who will excite, getting the fans (me included included) thinking he's gonna be a superstar and the reality is, like better days is, it's not the case.

Allisani still suffers from that. Cet bigged him up as the new Wilfred Zaha and even now fans say on here give him a chance

fernandopartridge

He should be able to play in goal as back up to Marosi as well.

Malaka

We have that lad we signed from Chelsea, he hasn't had much opportunity, I would like to see him getting a run of mins under his belt

Magwitch

Think with young Giles it was just a case he couldn’t shift McCallum. Robins will have had a good look at him and we’ll see if he brings him in or someone else going to be a lot of good players knocking about looking for clubs soon.

Users who are viewing this thread