Votes: 53 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 85 51.2%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 28 16.9%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Is Thorn up to the job as a manager? Nothing to do with his hands being tied, nothing to do with the tools he has had, just as a manager.

Grendel

It's a secret ballot so I am keeping my response private

The Penguin

I genuinely believe he is not, and this has nothing to do with friendly results that shouldn't even bloody well count; and everything to do with too many examples of tactical naivety he exhibited last season. I of course sincerely hope I am proven wrong this season.

Is Thorn up to the job as manager? Vote 1 for black and 2 for white. For that reason, I am out. 'Is Thorn the man to take us up' is a poll people could better get their teeth into, but I still would assert that 'yes / no' is too simplistic and will not suit everyone...

SkyBlue_Bear83

didnt you watch us last season?
Yes I did, the squad was never strong enough to consistently compete with other championship teams. Any mistake Thorn made was exposed and exacerbated by the weakness of the squad.

The squad this season is strong enough so if by 10-15 games we are underachieving he should be sacked

Grendel

It was 70/30 in training in his favour.

hill83

Is Thorn up to the job as manager? Vote 1 for black and 2 for white. For that reason, I am out. 'Is Thorn the man to take us up' is a poll people could better get their teeth into, but I still would assert that 'yes / no' is too simplistic and will not suit everyone...
I took 'up for the job' as ''man to take us up'
Thorn himself said that's our aim this season.
Stop shirking and get voting.

Is Thorn the man to win us promotion? I do not know enought about our new players, the other squads or the other managers to say categorically 'yes / no'. As there is no option for people like me, I am clicking neither. I bow to your superior knowledge of the competition, I have never said we should be 'top six, bare minimum' only that I hope - as a newly relegated team - we make a fist of things. Maybe I am shirking, maybe you are missing the point and this thread is going to be voted for by people who are determined to stick up for Thorn in the face of an onslaught (not me, I acrually quite like balance and the discussion of salient points) and those who have seen us lose four friendly games and are disenchanted. I will leave you to it.

hill83

I'm all for balance, I'm not claiming to know all the details of the league. I'm taking the poll at face value. Thorn has stated himself what the job is this season. Promotion. I personally can't see that happening.

Nick

Administrator
I only put yes and no so that it was a simple question without having to add things like hands tied. I will add a Dont know though :)

tippex9

This forum is becoming obsessed with complaining. All last year 'SISU out' tones, now they sign a few bodies. It's Thorn who gets the criticism. We ain't even started the season yet.

Even though this post wants a black and white answer without taking circumstances into considertion the topics down this front page are repetitive and just cringe worthy. This 'poll' is just fanning the flames.

Sky Blue bashing should be done by other teams not our own fans. SISU, Thorn, Clingan, Eastwood, Clarke, Bell, Platt, Baker, Gaunt, Keys, Ricoh, Harrison, Eakin, Foster, Stewards......

Running out of people to try to run out of town....

Ashdown

Its hard to see positives though at the minute, I've not even heard of any praise being levied at any particular player from last nights debacle. People are sick of perennial failure !!

skybluegod

Its hard to see positives though at the minute, I've not even heard of any praise being levied at any particular player from last nights debacle. People are sick of perennial failure !!

thats not thorns fault people say we've made shit signings is the best thron can make blame SISU

tippex9

So we're judging them on pre-season games now?

Last years pre-season we Won 4, Drew 3 & only lost one!!! Didn't exactly reflect our season....

hill83

So we're judging them on pre-season games now?

Last years pre-season we Won 4, Drew 3 & only lost one!!! Didn't exactly reflect our season....

When are people going to grasp that it's not based on the last few pre season games. Thorn has been here for 1 and a half years.

tippex9

When are people going to grasp that it's not based on the last few pre season games. Thorn has been here for 1 and a half years.

I can 'grasp' it perfectly well. When Thorn had the likes of Westwood, Gunnar and King in early 2010 and was getting wins hone and away, playing flowing football. Fans were creaming for him to be permanent boss.

Then he loses the quality and is left with a squad the 'fans' openly bash every week and he's the bad manager....

Trust me if after ten games we've won one then I think it's time for him to move on because this year it's players he's brought in.

hill83

I can 'grasp' it perfectly well. When Thorn had the likes of Westwood, Gunnar and King in early 2010 and was getting wins hone and away, playing flowing football. Fans were creaming for him to be permanent boss.

Then he loses the quality and is left with a squad the 'fans' openly bash every week and he's the bad manager....

Trust me if after ten games we've won one then I think it's time for him to move on because this year it's players he's brought in.

Fair enough.

I only put yes and no so that it was a simple question without having to add things like hands tied. I will add a Dont know though :)

Don't accommodate me, the power will go to my head. In all fairness, it was a straightforward enough question and 'yes / no' would have been plenty for people to go on. I am just a bit down on the whole Thorn debate on here... I thought he came in for some unfair criticism last season, but I am not a blind 'pro-Thorn' protagonist, so am unable to answer the question in a straightforward manner. The lesson is to shut up if you don't have anything to contribute, I will be better in the future, promise.

It is not looking like he is the man to lead us to the Championship, based on losing four consecutive friendlies. Playing McDonald on the wing rings alarm bells. But I don't know much about our new players or the league and I don't know how we will fare. Not wildly optimistic right now, but then I never claimed 'we should definitely be top six with our squad', as some people from both side of the Thorn debate have opined. I don't think he is the worst manager in our history (that is a subjective viewpoint, even if you write the word 'statistically' in front of it - see previous arguments on 'context') and I do not think he is the best manager since Jimmy Hill (see previous arguments on managers of football teams playing a huge and obvious role in their performance through the season). The lack of balance and reasoned debate does my head in a touch on a forum I used to quite enjoy, but it is fairly obvious that I only need contribute to threads which are not going to aggravate this mindset

Nonleagueherewecome

Is Thorn up to the job as a manager? Nothing to do with his hands being tied, nothing to do with the tools he has had, just as a manager.

Bit like saying a man can't swim without having seen him without concrete blocks stuck to his feet though IMO. As someone who constantly assesses situations based on context, I can't even attempt to judge one without it.

Otis

Shame that having concrete blocks stuck to his feet made him bring Cody McDonald on and stick him on the wing though isn't it.

ClarrieB

It seems that some are trying a little to hard to sway the forum's masses into a comatose like response of "Don't know yet, let's wait and see - then decide".

Do they fear that The Worm is turning?

ClarrieB

Bit like saying a man can't swim without having seen him without concrete blocks stuck to his feet though IMO. As someone who constantly assesses situations based on context, I can't even attempt to judge one without it.

Your powers of Rationalization on before of Thorn are breathtaking

Nonleagueherewecome

It's just really stupid to sack the manager based on pre-season, isn't it?

Most who stuck by him did so because they thought he had his hands tied: asking them to judge them without that factored in is impossible, but if you like, you can go with the previous season-in which he got a lot more out of the players than Boothroyd did! It strengthens his case, rather than weakens it.

But what he will really be judged on, quite rightly, is this season: the players may all be freebies, but they are his signings, and his budget should be good enough for top 6 in L1. Guess what-THIS SEASON HASN'T STARTED YET!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

ClarrieB

Deeds not words is what I have based my vote on - Thorn lost me well before the end of last season.
There are a few things he has done that I cannot abide - one of these is I have never once heard him make a serious attempt to take some personal responsibility for this situation - this is one of many things I think a manager should do.

I expect him to get stuck into the players if he needs to but publicly defend them - I suspect after he failed to give the same treatment to the senior pro's as the trialist's after arguably a worse pre-season defeat he does think the other way around.

Do you really imagine he commands the players respect with this type of behaviour? I do not.

For that reason and others I am happy to share that i voted No - He is not 'up to the job'.

It matters not however - he will be in as long as the fans fail to pressure SISU into change regardless of results - isn't that the reason he is still here?

Promotion lols, Some hope.

dongonzalos

This poll should also be asked after some league matches. Not just after a 4 1 friendly defeat to Wrexham.

Nick

Administrator
This poll should also be asked after some league matches. Not just after a 4 1 friendly defeat to Wrexham.

Yep, I have said they should be done often so that we can see which way people are swaying. I am personally happy in 3 months time when we are hammering the league to say I think he is up to the job and I am wrong :)

dennis4467

He is definitely not up to the job if he is left in charge the only possible outcome for the coming season is another relegation

Users who are viewing this thread