Votes: 53 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 85 51.2%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 28 16.9%

• Total voters

ClarrieB

Basically...

Roy Keane's departure raised the question of whether great players make great managers.

there is no guarantee of great players = great managers

you do need to have a ruthless streak.

being a great player is no guarantee of being a great coach.

The personality needed to be a coach or assistant manager is a lot different to that of a manager.

coaches and assistant managers can be a lot more approachable and friendly towards the players - they don't have to distance themselves from the players, as a manager tends to do.

Darren Ferguson is somebody with a hard act to follow!

He instantly lifted the players with his professional manner. He has a very attacking philosophy and encouraged the players to express themselves.

The intensity and quality of the training sessions instantly improved.

It was hard work (as it should be) but we rapidly became a lot fitter and, as a consequence, a lot more confident.

The main aspect of Darren Ferguson's personality that I respected and one that will serve him well in the future is his honesty towards his players. The one thing that every player will tell you that they want from the manager (apart from playing every week) is honesty.

Lots of managers will tell a player what they think he wants to hear or in some cases not speak to a player at all. When I was out of the team at Peterborough.

Astute

You say more or less a manager needs a ruthless streak, but when AT tells the players they didn't try hard enough or were not good enough the ones that don't want him as manager slate him for it.

dongonzalos

Why he should be given a chance and why he is a good football manager are different though...
I agree and I have explained both in depth on numerous times. However I can only say why I think he will be a decent manager with the right support. Which he seems to getting now. SISU could not do damage to the team thorn was managing in his first ten games. He was successful then.

skyblueman

The way I see it a good manager does the absolute very best with whatever resources he has at his disposal whatever the constraints imposed on him - same as any manger when you think about it really - he has to get the best from whatever he has - simple as that - in normal walks of life it's no different really. Forget all the stuff imposed on him.

Can we say in all honesty that AT did the best last season with what he had? Did the players play as well they might, were the preparations as good as it could be? Were the tactics right? Sure the odd mistake now and again is fine - we all do it - but overall did he make the very best of what he had?

Grendel

I agree and I have explained both in depth on numerous times. However I can only say why I think he will be a decent manager with the right support. Which he seems to getting now. SISU could not do damage to the team thorn was managing in his first ten games. He was successful then.

You have an interesting definition of success;

Lower points in first 10 games than Boothroyd
7 games out of the 10 not won
Worse record than Peter Reid

What's your definition of failure? Mine was last season,

dongonzalos

You have an interesting definition of success;

Lower points in first 10 games than Boothroyd
7 games out of the 10 not won
Worse record than Peter Reid

What's your definition of failure? Mine was last season,

What was the record if the plummeting team in the 17 games before he stepped in. Somestimes when you take something from a horrendous situation and put it in an acceptable situation that is a success it is all relative.

Like someone achieving success in their first 10 games. Then freefull without any changes to your team

ClarrieB

What was the record if the plummeting team in the 17 games before he stepped in. Somestimes when you take something from a horrendous situation and put it in an acceptable situation that is a success it is all relative.

Like someone achieving success in their first 10 games. Then freefull without any changes to your team

so last season then...success or failure - overall?

skyblueman

Why does it have to me classified as either? Maybe the third option might be... served up a result proportionate with investment and resource. Therefore ambivalent conclusion?

That's right MMM there is a 3rd option - doing the best with what you have - but DID he? That's what I'm struggling with

Mary_Mungo_Midge

That's right MMM there is a 3rd option - doing the best with what you have - but DID he? That's what I'm struggling with

Well it's been widely discussed that our funding of the first team squad was within the lowest two on the league. And we were compelled to play, therefore, more untried under 20's than any other team in the league. Indeed by appearances 50% more than the next closest.

As such, I can't help but think that Thorn served up that which circumstances deserved. Sure, we were exceptionally poor away from home, don't defend corners well and struggled to find the net; which are all valid observations and talking points - but the core debate being that Thorn realised a result consummate with investment. No more, no less.

That's why I'm personally still unsure about the man

Diehard Si

There are managers out there that could have done better. Can we afford them? .... Nope.

There are managers out there that would have done a lot worse.

We won't really know the answer until this season is underway.

skyblueman

Well it's been widely discussed that our funding of the first team squad was within the lowest two on the league. And we were compelled to play, therefore, more untried under 20's than any other team in the league. Indeed by appearances 50% more than the next closest.

As such, I can't help but think that Thorn served up that which circumstances deserved. Sure, we were exceptionally poor away from home, don't defend corners well and struggled to find the net; which are all valid observations and talking points - but the core debate being that Thorn realised a result consummate with investment. No more, no less.

That's why I'm personally still unsure about the man

Fair enough - I just worry about how well the team is motivated and obviously more than a few dubious tactics over the past season - but motivation is the BIG one for me - they just don't seem hungry enough for success

Colonel Mustard

There are managers out there that could have done better. Can we afford them? .... Nope.

A somewhat bogus argument. Managers are something of a lottery pick more often than not. The two most successful managers we've had over the past decade - Nilsson and Black - were both internal appointments, i.e. affordable.

dadgad

Only a few people made any sensible suggestions though - it's interesting that for all the Thorn out talk there is little in the way of constructive alternative offered

Correct.
This has been the case since AT was appointed.
Sisu employ who they like. AT isn't there for footballing reasons but to absorb the flack that should be directed at them.

Grendel

Correct.
This has been the case since AT was appointed.
Sisu employ who they like. AT isn't there for footballing reasons but to absorb the flack that should be directed at them.

To form such a judgement you must know an awful lot about the financial structure of the club.

You clearly know the wage thorn receives from the club and you must also know the compensation package of he is dismissed.

You also must know the wage demands of any potential manager that comes in.

You must also know the budget set aside for football related management staff and if this can be transferable for the playing budget. So if we sell wood say. An those wages be used for compensation to another club?

I assume you also k ow the wages Shaw and Carsley get and if this is less than received by Harrisom.

You need to know all this to arrive at your conclusion. Will you share it with us?

Astute

To form such a judgement you must know an awful lot about the financial structure of the club.

You clearly know the wage thorn receives from the club and you must also know the compensation package of he is dismissed.

You also must know the wage demands of any potential manager that comes in.

You must also know the budget set aside for football related management staff and if this can be transferable for the playing budget. So if we sell wood say. An those wages be used for compensation to another club?

I assume you also k ow the wages Shaw and Carsley get and if this is less than received by Harrisom.

You need to know all this to arrive at your conclusion. Will you share it with us?

You know the same amount about what goes on at our club Duffy, but know everything is the fault of AT

cloughie

You know the same amount about what goes on at our club Duffy, but know everything is the fault of AT

But I thought it was Grendell that posted not Kduffy

Oh I am confused surely he couldn't have changed his name............

Why would someone do that?????????????? :thinking about:

Astute

Maybe some can't believe 51% would make a knee jerk decision before the season starts.

Grendel

Why is the term "knee-jerk" even being thrown about? The bloke's been in charge for over a year.

I know it's hilarious. I've been convinced he's an idiot since his appointment. His deeds have yet to prove me wrong.

dongonzalos

Why is the term "knee-jerk" even being thrown about? The bloke's been in charge for over a year.

Yes and when we were relegated the majority in a much bigger poll said AT was the right man to take us up.

This poll was set up after a 4 - 1 defeat to Wrexham.
So I was expecting a load of knee jerk reactions to that. However it is only 51% half of which (total) guess would have voted no anyway. The other 25 % probably had enough after that result. So to me they are the knee jerkers.

Colonel Mustard

Yes and when we were relegated the majority in a much bigger poll said AT was the right man to take us up.This poll was set up after a 4 - 1 defeat to Wrexham. So I was expecting a load of knee jerk reactions to that. However it is only 51% half of which (total) guess would have voted no anyway. The other 25 % probably had enough after that result. So to me they are the knee jerkers.

Most of the polls have been extremely favourable to Thorn since he took the reins, so any change is significant. Or, by your own standards, ask yourself this question: would there have been the same polling numbers after a similar pre-season loss at this point last season?

dongonzalos

Most of the polls have been extremely favourable to Thorn since he took the reins, so any change is significant. Or, by your own standards, ask yourself this question: would there have been the same polling numbers after a similar pre-season loss at this point last season?

No, those who were prepared to give him this season or even just ten games, who would have have reacted no after defeat. Would probably had voted don't know on the basis of the relegation. If that makes sense.

Ie last summer they would not have voted no, this summer it would have been don't no, after that defeat they have changed to no.

Grendel

Sorry so after the first 8 games.

What was during that period that put you off?

The players had clearly fell out with Boothroyd. His departure was always going to provide an improvement. The improvement to 30% win ratio was par for when Boothroyd was performing. Thorn had no pedigree, no previous managerial aspiration and was yet another Ranson chum. In short I never warmed to him and never viewed him as anything other than a stop gap.

Users who are viewing this thread