The Replacement (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Despite the fact that I think he’s scored more free kicks than Gus in his time with us, I’ve never been overly impressed with Palmers set pieces. What were Tatsu’s like on Wednesday?
Saka was trying to loft them towards the back post whereas Palmer was trying to whip them in at the near post. Most of the time Palmer’s didn’t beat the first man and we got counter attacked.

shmmeee

Saka was trying to loft them towards the back post whereas Palmer was trying to whip them in at the near post. Most of the time Palmer’s didn’t beat the first man and we got counter attacked.

Gutted Gus never got one in direct from a corner, he was clearly trying.

Love a whipped set piece myself, but it’s got to get there.

Brighton Sky Blue

Gutted Gus never got one in direct from a corner, he was clearly trying.

Love a whipped set piece myself, but it’s got to get there.
It’s a shame but now we have a lot more height in the squad, maybe it suits us to play towards that instead anyway.

pusbccfc

A lot of names branded about on here will demand more than the £20k a week we could offer Hamer.

He will be impossible to replace as he's such a unique player.

I'd prefer us to go for a proper defensive midfielder. We've got good options going forward.

fernandopartridge

A lot of names branded about on here will demand more than the £20k a week we could offer Hamer.

I'd prefer us to go for a proper defensive midfielder. We've got good options going forward.

We've got 3 defensive midfielders already. We need somebody who can support the quick transition like Hamer can, who can carry the ball up the pitch. Not another holding player, Matt Grimes for example, is exactly what we don't need.

Alkhen

He is also a sending off waiting to happen. I remember a challenge he made while playing for England u21 that was probably the worst I have ever seen.

Definitely a no from me.
ha yep evil fecker, wouldn't actually mind a bit of that in our team TBH just not at the price Hamza would command, especially if that limited our spend on a Hamer replacement

PVA

Michal Sadilek
Joshua Kitolano
Finn Becker (Bundesliga)
Carel Eiting
Taylor Booth

Some young, apparently talented, midfielders from the Eredivisie (and one from the Bundesliga) which could be our target market.

And a suggestion of Adam Randell from Plymouth (probably more of a Sheaf backup though tbf)

Alkhen

And of those 3, two of them are Kelly and Eccles. With respect to both, if we want a serious push, neither should be starting.
Happy with Sheaf though, have said I'd like a young prospect in to train up and understudy at DM.

both Eccles and Kelly will have their game time this year but need succession planning seeing as Sheaf is probably one of the next biggest assets (who has been around a while) if we sell to rebuild next season

edgy

SHIT AT HEADERS, DIDN'T KNOW WHEN TO CLEAR IT INTO ROW Z

GLAD WE ARE RID OF HIM

His pass completion stats surprised me. I suppose those type of stats are heavily skewed towards the big clubs defenders/midfielders that keep possession for ages before advancing.

Alkhen

His pass completion stats surprised me. I suppose those type of stats are heavily skewed towards the big clubs defenders/midfielders that keep possession for ages before advancing.
Also tries more audacious passes than most, probably accounts for a bit. I mean I wonder what Sammy Clingans stats were.. I know who I prefer watching

Jamesimus

We've got 3 defensive midfielders already. We need somebody who can support the quick transition like Hamer can, who can carry the ball up the pitch. Not another holding player, Matt Grimes for example, is exactly what we don't need.

I think Grimes is a great player and would be a good signing, but also, I'm inclined to very much agree.

I imagine the recruitment team have planned for this though.

pusbccfc

What is?

You're right about a ball carrying midfielder but the idea of Kelly starting this season in a side supposedly pushing for a too 6 finish is crazy.

I like Eccles, but he wouldn't even make the 25 man squad in probably 6-10 clubs at this level.

Sheaf gets injured and we are in a lot of bother. We need 2 possibly 3 midfielders in because Allen is unlikely to be back for a long time.

Jamesimus

How come? He's never been bothered about ball retention, that's what makes him interesting as a centre mid. He wants to 'try' stuff. That's why sometimes it's shite and sometimes it's great haha.

pusbccfc

The worry is that the likes of Grimes are going to cost a lot of money. Swansea do not need to sell him and will demand a huge fee.

pusbccfc

Disagree with regards to Eccles. He's a good Championship player in my opinion who will get even better. Kelly is useful as a squad player.

He grew massively towards the end of the season but I still think he's not quite there.

Fine to have if you've got Hamer in the middle but less so alongside Kelly.

wingy

I think Grimes is a great player and would be a good signing, but also, I'm inclined to very much agree.

I imagine the recruitment team have planned for this though.
We need a Moroccan ,get a call into Haji bet you he has a list having been with the National Squad.

Winny the Bish

We don't need another Sheaf who is happy to sit in DM and recycle possession.
We need someone to work hard in defence and attack, provide options with forward running etc.

shmmeee

He’s key to us being consistently top of the speed of attack charts. He’s basically got licence to try things if he sees them without a worry about losing the ball. Same as strikers and AMs, a high pass completion rate can often mean they’re taking safe passes and not trying to break through the defence. That can never be said of Hamer.

Alkhen

We don't need another Sheaf who is happy to sit in DM and recycle possession.
We need someone to work hard in defence and attack, provide options with forward running etc.

Agreed to replace Hamer we need to spend the bulk of the funds on a dynamic box to box type, going to be incredibly hard to find a 1 to 1 replacement though.

That said in an ideal world we would use a little cash to get in an understudy for Sheaf, Kelly is experienced cover and Eccles can do a job at DM but is very different to Sheaf. I have a feeling Sheaf is our next asset if we are going down the route of selling a start or two a year to progress model. Would be good to get someone promising in early (more cheaply)

Speedie's Head

bandied

He is impossible to replace, I agree. Completely unique at our level. Two or three players might help but I bet we can't do the wages.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's not nonsense, Kelly has had his day on ability he is league one level, he's being kept on for his off field presence, experience and other attributes.

Eccles is ok, but let's be honest none of the teams serious about promotion this season would take him. He's ok for a team who are plodding along in the middle to lower regions of this division.

Offhegoes

It's not nonsense, Kelly has had his day on ability he is league one level, he's being kept on for his off field presence, experience and other attributes.

Eccles is ok, but let's be honest none of the teams serious about promotion this season would take him. He's ok for a team who are plodding along in the middle to lower regions of this division.
Kelly was superb in those end of season games. Couldn't ask for much more from a deep lying central midfield player. Earned his contract for me.

Users who are viewing this thread