The Replacement (3 Viewers)

covmark

It's not nonsense, Kelly has had his day on ability he is league one level, he's being kept on for his off field presence, experience and other attributes.

Eccles is ok, but let's be honest none of the teams serious about promotion this season would take him. He's ok for a team who are plodding along in the middle to lower regions of this division.
Eccles was playing in a team that finished 5th last season.

pusbccfc

Kelly was superb in those end of season games. Couldn't ask for much more from a deep lying central midfield player. Earned his contract for me.

Until he gets his inevitable injury.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I still think Tom Davies could be the one. Wages are going to be a sticking point but he’s without a club and so no transfer fee helps balance that out. He’s still only 25, played 155 games for Everton and by all accounts is a good character. He isn’t a like for like replacement but has real quality and great energy.

If the club aren't going pay Hamer what he wants, they're not going pay Tom Davies what he wants.

Deity

Eccles was mostly a first choice player last season. Only 7 players made more League starts, so more often than not he was in our starting XI.
At no point last season was Eccles a first choice midfield pick. He played largely because of injuries or because our RWB’s were out of form. .

I do think he will develop into a good championship midfielder that said.

Legia Sky Blue

It has often been the case at Cov, that our fans take home grown talent for granted. Eccles is a good example of that. He is a lot better player than some of our fans recognise, although that hasn't been helped by having to regularly help out the team by playing out of position. I think this could be a big season for him though. A bit more self confidence and he could be a hell of a player. We certainly need him or Sheaf to step out of Hamer's shadow and become a dominating midfield force now Hamer is leaving.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Think I read Styles can go for 2 million somewhere. Kitching will probably set us back around 3.5 million. Approx 5.5 for the pair isn't bad.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We've got the money now Doug, pay it.

Alkhen

To be fair, Tom Davies will need to grow up a bit because he isn't going to get £50k a week anywhere.
Isn't he training with Bristol Rovers to keep fit or something?

Not sure having Joey Barton in your ear is good for anyone's career?! I'm bet the Bristol Rovers facilities will be a shock to the lad might sharpen his mind to re adjust his expectations.

Going off how much top flight game time he got early on you would think there is a good player to had in him if the price is right. still young but not the dynamic type we need as a priority.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Eccles is more than good enough, if he was good enough last season he’s good enough this season.
Yes, he is good enough to play the same role as last season - utility squad player who can provide cover for injury and suspension in multiple position.

Don't think he's ready to make the step to key player in a team looking to make the play offs.

SkyBlueSam01

Disagree with regards to Eccles. He's a good Championship player in my opinion who will get even better. Kelly is useful as a squad player.

I feel like a lot of fans think a good player is all stepovers and slide tackles... In reality its things like teamwork, reading the game, pass selection etc that will impress Robins and Viveash and Eccles is excellent at that side of the game.

As you say these are attributes that will only get better over the next decade and I think he will end up playing at a much higher level than many people realise

hamertime

Yes, he is good enough to play the same role as last season - utility squad player who can provide cover for injury and suspension in multiple position.

Don't think he's ready to make the step to key player in a team looking to make the play offs.
I disagree. It’s a long season can see him
starting at least half the games. Massively underrated thankfully not by Robins. He’s city through and through also. Seems to get on well with the whole squad I can see him emerging as an important player for us.

shmmeee

I like Eccles, I’m not sure he’s outstanding at anything yet to really stale a claim in the first team, and he’s never going to contribute like Hamer did in terms of attacking play.

Fysnkysc

Eccles will be a good midfielder at this level but he isn't going to bag ten goals or ten assist, he is just a versatile player

fernandopartridge

Christ, the team can't be made up of 11 Hamers. Eccles was great last season and enabled Hamer to push forward.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ashdown

Eccles got better last year for sure, we looked better with him on against Leicester . He’ll play a part but by fuck we need back up sharp because on the other side of the coin Sheaf was awful, Kelly is League 1, Callum is out for ages, so is Allen…..

shmmeee

He's very good at reading the game and winning the ball, you need that otherwise you never have the fucking thing.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Would you say better than Sheaf? I’m not sure and Sheaf gives you the passing range on top. That’s what I mean. I’m not sure what he brings beyond what Sheaf does to dislodge him from the team.

Users who are viewing this thread