The official NFL Thread (4 Viewers)

tisza

Congratulations to WFT on the title.
Eagles obviously wanting a higher draft position.
QB merry-go-round about to start but a few going to be disappointed as money not there next season.
Overall got to say tide has turned with AFC being the stronger. Worst NFC I can remember for a while.

Terry Gibson's perm

Black Monday today and the Jets have gone early.

There will be a lot of qbs looking for work. As the old better ones like Brady are going on forever and there is a new batch like Lawrence arriving

tisza

Black Monday today and the Jets have gone early.

There will be a lot of qbs looking for work. As the old better ones like Brady are going on forever and there is a new batch like Lawrence arriving
Comes down to salary cap and the way it is increasingly going to create cycles of success and failure for teams.
Browns built a roster then added a rookie contract QB. But in about 2 years they are going to have to rebuild again as their recent draft successes aren't all going to be able to get paid.
Texans going to pay Watson huge money but have no cap space or draft capital to make themselves relevant for probably at least 3 years.
Chiefs have to deal with Mahomes contract. Bills another win now team as they have a lot of players to pay soon. Allen was drafted into a team that was already winning.
List goes on.
Lions will try and move Stafford.

Liquid Gold

Eagles obviously had a hand in that win but I'll take in anyway. Washington needs to sort the QB situation out, Smith has done incredibly well after everything he's been through but he is just completely immobile now, should really retire and that means we have Kyle Allen. The defence is so good and a lot on rookie deals meaning we need to get someone in now. I would have been up for Wilson or Lance in the draft but they are more development prospects. I wonder if we'll be in for Stafford, I'd also love to see what the Texans did if we waved a couple of firsts under their noses for Watson given they. have to rebuild and have 0 capital.

tisza

Eagles obviously had a hand in that win but I'll take in anyway. Washington needs to sort the QB situation out, Smith has done incredibly well after everything he's been through but he is just completely immobile now, should really retire and that means we have Kyle Allen. The defence is so good and a lot on rookie deals meaning we need to get someone in now. I would have been up for Wilson or Lance in the draft but they are more development prospects. I wonder if we'll be in for Stafford, I'd also love to see what the Texans did if we waved a couple of firsts under their noses for Watson given they. have to rebuild and have 0 capital.
Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract until 2025. So difficult to shift him.
Stafford interesting as big contract next year but little cap difficulties in cutting after a season . So drafting a QB now for 2022 could still be a strong move. Think QB needy teams could be looking at someone like Fitzpatrick with a rookie behind him - not that expensive. Probably at your draft position now best you could draft is Mac Jones - may not be a superstar but certainly has potential to be a very good NFL payer

Liquid Gold

Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract until 2025. So difficult to shift him.
Stafford interesting as big contract next year but little cap difficulties in cutting after a season . So drafting a QB now for 2022 could still be a strong move. Think QB needy teams could be looking at someone like Fitzpatrick with a rookie behind him - not that expensive. Probably at your draft position now best you could draft is Mac Jones - may not be a superstar but certainly has potential to be a very good NFL payer
I'd take Jones in the 2nd but feel he'd be a reach in the first. Thing is if we went down that route, traded for Fitz and sat Jones to learn for a year then by the time our next QB is ready we've got no money as the whole defence needs paying.

Terry Gibson's perm

Comes down to salary cap and the way it is increasingly going to create cycles of success and failure for teams.
Browns built a roster then added a rookie contract QB. But in about 2 years they are going to have to rebuild again as their recent draft successes aren't all going to be able to get paid.
Texans going to pay Watson huge money but have no cap space or draft capital to make themselves relevant for probably at least 3 years.
Chiefs have to deal with Mahomes contract. Bills another win now team as they have a lot of players to pay soon. Allen was drafted into a team that was already winning.
List goes on.
Lions will try and move Stafford.

I always look at Stafford and think he doesn’t worry many teams when he plays them.

tisza

I always look at Stafford and think he doesn’t worry many teams when he plays them.
But is that Stafford or just a franchise that consistently fails to put a line in front of him and limited weapons around him? Injuries a bigger issue. And maybe Pats a more likely landing spot.
I'd take Jones in the 2nd but feel he'd be a reach in the first. Thing is if we went down that route, traded for Fitz and sat Jones to learn for a year then by the time our next QB is ready we've got no money as the whole defence needs paying.
Fitzpatrick not on big money at Dolphins. Done a great job mentoring Tua in an offense with dodgy O line and not good receivers or backs. Cost wise Jones money would be comparable to Love's contract with Green Bay (26th vs 19th pick)- so around 14 million over 4 years. Bring in Fitz whose UFA having just been paid 8 million for 2020. Not a big contract to get him in for 1 year guaranteed. Cap saving of cutting Smith of around 15 million basically covers both players
Jones won't be on the board that low in the 2nd round.

covcity4life

Oooh yeah baby nunber 1 seed!!!!

No matter what happens now another great season to look back on

Now for some rest and see how wildcard weekend get on

Terry Gibson's perm

But is that Stafford or just a franchise that consistently fails to put a line in front of him and limited weapons around him? Injuries a bigger issue. And maybe Pats a more likely landing spot.

Fitzpatrick not on big money at Dolphins. Done a great job mentoring Tua in an offense with dodgy O line and not good receivers or backs. Cost wise Jones money would be comparable to Love's contract with Green Bay (26th vs 19th pick)- so around 14 million over 4 years. Bring in Fitz whose UFA having just been paid 8 million for 2020. Not a big contract to get him in for 1 year guaranteed. Cap saving of cutting Smith of around 15 million basically covers both players
Jones won't be on the board that low in the 2nd round.

I would see Stafford as one of the weaker starting quarterbacks wherever he was.

covcity4life

With those four TD passes against Chicago. Aaron Rodgers finished the year, as mentioned, with a league-best 48, which has been talked about at length. But something that hasn’t been mentioned as much, or really even at all, is the fact that the Packers only punted the ball 46 times during the 2020 season, including the two Green Bay punter JK Scott booted away against the Bears.

So the Packers had more touchdown passes than punts in 2020. No team in NFL history has ever accomplished such a feat, proving just how potent and efficient the Green Bay offense is.

tisza

He’s a shoe in for MVP. Deserves it definitely.

Would love to see Wilson get it one year though.
would also have liked to see Watson in the running. Done an incredible job in a terrible team that traded away his weapons and protection.
But MVP very much geared around team winning records.

Skybluefaz

People that know more than me. Is Trevor Lawrence a sure thing? You see first round picks like Goff and I think Haskins was too and question if there is such a thing as a sure thing with these top pick QB's.

tisza

I'd also love to see what the Texans did if we waved a couple of firsts under their noses for Watson given they. have to rebuild and have 0 capital.
Odds could be shifting. Candidates for new head coach job seemingly just shortened as it'll be one of Lamonte's clients. Watson has apparently been saying he'll ask for a trade if he's not happy with choice. It's a big contract for first two years but very team friendly after that.

tisza

People that know more than me. Is Trevor Lawrence a sure thing? You see first round picks like Goff and I think Haskins was too and question if there is such a thing as a sure thing with these top pick QB's.
He's really very good. No real obvious flaws or off-field questions about character or behaviour. But biggest challenge will be playing behind O line unlikely to be that good and up against a different level of lash rushing than he's seen before. Ohio really challenged him a strong D line and pressure schemes without having elite edge rushers.

Probably highest QB rating out of college since Luck.

Liquid Gold

Odds could be shifting. Candidates for new head coach job seemingly just shortened as it'll be one of Lamonte's clients. Watson has apparently been saying he'll ask for a trade if he's not happy with choice. It's a big contract for first two years but very team friendly after that.
We have the the space to fit him in too, especially if Smith retires. Did laugh when I saw the trade rumours, would love to have called it in advance but think it'll take more than a couple of firsts.

tisza

We have the the space to fit him in too, especially if Smith retires. Did laugh when I saw the trade rumours, would love to have called it in advance but think it'll take more than a couple of firsts.
About 10 teams could be interested. Texans saying he won't be traded so in NFL-speak "could be traded but not for cheap". Most likely price is for a starting QB, 2 1sts and something mid-round. No starting QB then 3 1sts.
If he really becomes available then it'll be a bidding war.
Young,proven franchise QB hasn't hit the market before

tisza

I haven’t even looked At the others I’m so hyped for Tampa Washington
Your game is intriguing. Brady has struggled when pressured but his line has protected him pretty well. Smith needs to get the ball out quickly as Bucs do pressure well from the secondary. Play action needs to be working as Bucs will give up running yards to protect their secondary from the pass.
Also need decent refs because NFL do seem intent on getting Brady to the Superbowl :) Some truly terrible calls when we played the Bucs

Liquid Gold

Your game is intriguing. Brady has struggled when pressured but his line has protected him pretty well. Smith needs to get the ball out quickly as Bucs do pressure well from the secondary. Play action needs to be working as Bucs will give up running yards to protect their secondary from the pass.
Also need decent refs because NFL do seem intent on getting Brady to the Superbowl :) Some truly terrible calls when we played the Bucs
It’s looking increasingly likely that Heinike will be starting for us as Smith is struggling. They may even alternate drives. About our 20th starting QB of the last few years.

CCFCSteve

Rams are either playing an injured Goff or Wolford so I'm not sure how great it's going to be. Bills Colts up first could be a cracker though.

Wolford looked pretty decent last week to be fair, more mobile than Goff but can he deliver again if he plays ?!! Agree about Bills and Colts and Ravens v Titans. interesting games. The whole weekend should be fun though (as long as saints win 😊)

tisza

Rams are either playing an injured Goff or Wolford so I'm not sure how great it's going to be. Bills Colts up first could be a cracker though.
Rams not a big QB-centric offense.
It's all about the defenses. Wilson against best defense in league.
Split the regular season 1-1.

Users who are viewing this thread