The official NFL Thread (31 Viewers)

tisza

The Broncos game should never have been played it was a total farce
NFL punishing Broncos for breaking the rules. Seem determined to get all the games played.

But if they were prepared to move 15 other games already then should have been more flexible with this one. But this is on the Broncos also as they broke the rules. Then the other teams must have as well when they've had outbreaks.

Broncos probably going to lose a draft pick too.

Liquid Gold

Going to be interesting to see how teams deal with the reduced cap. I saw something that said the saints are going to be 90m over.

tisza

Going to be interesting to see how teams deal with the reduced cap. I saw something that said the saints are going to be 90m over.
Teams already struggling. Really only a couple of balanced teams in NFL ( basically all of these are with rookie contract QBs.)
Vikings this season drafted 15 players and have had to use UDFAs and released players whilst losing 3 of their biggest earners through season-long injury or opting out. If (highly unlikely) 10 of these draft players work out well then in 3 -4 years 5 or 6 will be released as won't be able to pay all of them.
Teams keep nearly all their draftees now for 2 seasons at least purely for salary cap reasons.
Player turnover huge ( look forward just 2 years and few teams will have more than half their spots filled).
Salary cap more than ability the main reason why most NFL careers are done within 4 years.
As for next season teams will be rapidly restructuring deals for key high earners but there are going to be casualties. Teams will have to backend contracts (with larger guarantee %s) which in the NFL is always risky with injury.
free agents probably won't get paid.

tisza

Not looking forward to Bucs game after yesterday's defensive performance. Vikings don't like games when they are favourites -seem determined to shoot themselves in the foot - Falcons, Cowboys then 2 desperate wins against Panthers & Jags. As beat up as they are - should / could have been 9 & 3 -Cowboys,Titans & Seahawks all should been seen out as wins.
Jets coaching sabotaging players is just embarrassing.
Bears players determined to get Nagy out.
Browns over Titans a surprise - Baker turns up for once.

Liquid Gold

I can't see what's in it for the Jets coaches to tank that game, even if the owner wants them to tank and get Lawrence surely the same coaching staff isn't going to be there

Skybluefaz

Only caught redzone highlights of the Seahawks loss last night but it was so frustrating. Russell holding on to the ball for ages. Never got anything going. Maybe the Giants coverage was just too good. I dunno.

ajsccfc

That Bills game has turned everyone into jelly since, anything beyond a wildcard round exit would be a lovely surprise.

tisza

I can't see what's in it for the Jets coaches to tank that game, even if the owner wants them to tank and get Lawrence surely the same coaching staff isn't going to be there
It's the perverse thing that owners like a coach that'll do as they are told. Gase only got the job as he proved at Miami he'll tank on command . Coaches get well compensated to take the blame away from the owners.
There is no way you blitz 7-8 in that Jets situation last night with the clock situation and knowing they've got a speedster like Ruggs. 3rd and 10 , no timeouts, field goal no good. Deep ball was the only option.

Terry Gibson's perm

Only caught redzone highlights of the Seahawks loss last night but it was so frustrating. Russell holding on to the ball for ages. Never got anything going. Maybe the Giants coverage was just too good. I dunno.

I often think the same about Wilson he does hold it to long as he believes he has the skills to get away with it, I thought he looked a bit predictable last night

Liquid Gold

It's the perverse thing that owners like a coach that'll do as they are told. Gase only got the job as he proved at Miami he'll tank on command . Coaches get well compensated to take the blame away from the owners.
There is no way you blitz 7-8 in that Jets situation last night with the clock situation and knowing they've got a speedster like Ruggs. 3rd and 10 , no timeouts, field goal no good. Deep ball was the only option.
They let Aghalor in behind before that first too. It was clear that they were trying to throw it but I just could see why the DC would go along with it knowing they will end up losing their job for being shit and then less likely to pick up another one.

tisza

They let Aghalor in behind before that first too. It was clear that they were trying to throw it but I just could see why the DC would go along with it knowing they will end up losing their job for being shit and then less likely to pick up another one.
Greg Williams is actually a good DC but rough round the edges. Depending on who replaces Gase Williams could actually keep his job. Built a good defence last year before Gase & Douglas started trading away key players.
Never going to get a Head coaching role because of bountygate.

Liquid Gold

Greg Williams is actually a good DC but rough round the edges. Depending on who replaces Gase Williams could actually keep his job. Built a good defence last year before Gase & Douglas started trading away key players.
Never going to get a Head coaching role because of bountygate.
Great timing

Otis

Sky!! Grrrrrr.

Washington Pittsburgh tied, 17-17. 3 mins to go, Washington deep into Steelers territory. Sky cut away with no warning and go to the Bills game.

😡

Great win though (after I had to go and check on NFL.com)

Liquid Gold

Very much enjoyed that game. I'm getting less worried about where we end up picking our QB as the coaching staff have improved so many players this year I think they can do well with whatever they've got.

tisza

Very much enjoyed that game. I'm getting less worried about where we end up picking our QB as the coaching staff have improved so many players this year I think they can do well with whatever they've got.
looked at your last 7 - 4 and 3 but the 3 losses for a combined total 7 pts. fine margins between 5&7 and 8 & 4. defensive stats really good and a little help in the secondary will really help. Chance to really focus on offense in the draft and FA.
could possibly win 3 out of next 4 - maybe 4 with Seahawks struggling.
6 wins going to probably put top 4 QBs out of reach but next 4 or5 could do well sat behind Alex Smith for a year.

Last edited:

Otis

Smith needs more protection though and the running game isn't great. Defence is looking very strong though now, which can carry you a long way.

Liquid Gold

Smith needs more protection though and the running game isn't great. Defence is looking very strong though now, which can carry you a long way.
Running game wasn't great last night but I think it's a credit to Scott Turner that he managed to turn it around without Gibson (who I think is a star in the making). The O line hasn't been as bad as I predicted, Moses seems to be les of a flag machine this year, Schreff is going to need paying, as is Roullier, Sweitzer looking good but could definitely take some improvement along the left of the line. I think once we have a proper WR2 so the defence doesn't just have to focus on taking McLaurin out of the game we'll see it open a lot more. People have been hoping for Allen Robinson but I really like the idea of us making a bid for JuJu, he's only 24 but with bags of experience, knows what a winning culture is like and then puts our top two receivers in place for years.

Otis

True.

I was very impressed with Logan Thomas last night. He looks like he is going to be a very big player for years to come

tisza

People have been hoping for Allen Robinson but I really like the idea of us making a bid for JuJu, he's only 24 but with bags of experience, knows what a winning culture is like and then puts our top two receivers in place for years.
Juju should hit the market. Steelers in cap trouble as a lot of players are getting paid next season - Big Ben new contract killing them at around 41m of cap space. Some of the line and secondary reworked contracts kicking in so that's why Steelres are in a win-now scenario.

Liquid Gold

Juju should hit the market. Steelers in cap trouble as a lot of players are getting paid next season - Big Ben new contract killing them at around 41m of cap space. Some of the line and secondary reworked contracts kicking in so that's why Steelres are in a win-now scenario.
I'm wondering what the FA contracts will be like this season. Reduced cap and a lot of teams in trouble so I can imagine people will get less than last year.

tisza

I'm wondering what the FA contracts will be like this season. Reduced cap and a lot of teams in trouble so I can imagine people will get less than last year.
I think teams will have to offer longer deals with more guaranteed money backended to try and hold players.
Pass rushers and corners going to get paid with the way new QBs are changing the game.
Could be a lot of one year deals for those that test free agency so that they can retry the market in 2022 when the cap will readjust again.
But a lot of non-big name players just going to disappear as teams continue to boost rookie contract numbers just to save money. Going to see a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players on squads that hardly play a snap. Something that has hurt teams this year with the number of injuries and some very average players getting game time.
BTW thanks for Brailford - played really well on Sunday.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I think teams will have to offer longer deals with more guaranteed money backended to try and hold players.
Pass rushers and corners going to get paid with the way new QBs are changing the game.
Could be a lot of one year deals for those that test free agency so that they can retry the market in 2022 when the cap will readjust again.
But a lot of non-big name players just going to disappear as teams continue to boost rookie contract numbers just to save money. Going to see a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players on squads that hardly play a snap. Something that has hurt teams this year with the number of injuries and some very average players getting game time.
BTW thanks for Brailford - played really well on Sunday.
We're stacked there, could easily lose another one if you want to get rid of another of your top class receivers.

tisza

This could get ugly against the Bucs. Going to have at least 7 players in the secondary rotation that weren't considered good enough to start the season in the NFL along with 4 rookies. Going to need a Zimmer miracle.
Can't rely on Cook against a very good run defense either

tisza

It feels like Vikes always have trouble with kickers.
Apparently worst NFL kicking performance since 1961.
Coupled with one member of the offensive line (Dakota Dozier) who seems to be determined to get Cousins killed this season.
Edit. Just spoke to a friend who was at the game. Bailey tried a practice 30 yard goal during halftime and missed that as well :)

Last edited:

tisza

Every week some new player keeps turning up out of nowhere to replace injured starters on the defense :) Never known a season like it

tisza

So Lawrence now going to the Jags. Do Jets keep Darnold and add a load of picks by trading the 2nd pick?or take Fields?

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Was expecting a bit more from Washington tonight. Haskins just chucked a bad interception though. Looking good for Russ and the boys
Haskins just didn’t get going until the second half and it’s about the 5th loss this season that would have been a different result if we had a kicker that could make simple kicks.

I’m hoping smith is back next week.

Users who are viewing this thread