The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (13 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

Yeah that indicates that a football shirt sent from the uk shouldn't be taxed?

" Despite the tariff-free deal, customs duties will apply to goods ordered from the UK that do not originate from Britain. Goods ordered from and manufactured in the UK should not attract customs duty, but products ordered from the UK worth more than that €150 and shipped from outside Britain will."
It’s the customs declaration, no way around it. For pallet deliveries we’re being quoted anywhere between £25 and £40 per consignment to Ireland and similar for the clearance once it’s there. It’s pretty much doubled the cost of a pallet delivery to Ireland.

Sick Boy

Yeah that indicates that a football shirt sent from the uk shouldn't be taxed?

" Despite the tariff-free deal, customs duties will apply to goods ordered from the UK that do not originate from Britain. Goods ordered from and manufactured in the UK should not attract customs duty, but products ordered from the UK worth more than that €150 and shipped from outside Britain will."
The shirts don’t originate in Britain.

Sick Boy

But aren't over 150 euros

If the trade deal only covers tariff free trading on items fully manufactured in the uk then it is utter madness
...that’s my understanding of it, it’s why having someone like Johnson in charge of something so important has always been a bad idea.

skybluetony176

...that’s my understanding of it, it’s why having someone like Johnson in charge of something so important has always been a bad idea.
Not just Boris. The fisheries minister didn’t even read the trade deal she voted for that is just about to kill the U.K. fishing industry. If you believe what the U.K. fishing industry is saying.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Not just Boris. The fisheries minister didn’t even read the trade deal she voted for and has just about to kill the U.K. fishing industry. If you believe what the U.K. fishing industry is saying.

That was a disgraceful admission. Its incredible that not one of the current cabinet has resigned given the litany of fuck ups.

skybluetony176

Funny how Nigel Farage has disappeared on this too. Finished with the fishing industry now, nothing to do with him, move on to the next subject he can make people hysterical about just to stay relevant.

Sick Boy

The transition period was also a farce, how are businesses and individuals suppose to prepare and get ready when a deal is secured a week before the end of it?

clint van damme

The transition period was also a farce, how are businesses and individuals suppose to prepare and get ready when a deal is secured a week before the end of it?

Several large hauliers suspended deliveries between UK and Europe until paperwork issues are sorted out.
DB Schenker did it the other day now a couple more followed suit.

skybluetony176

Over an international holiday. We’ve found a hole already at work. Moving goods for service work that are then moved back. If we were sending stuff to the EU for service work that’s then returned back to the U.K. the EU has a system for this and always has. As EU members we could take in goods from pretty much anywhere in the world and it wouldn’t be subject to duty or VAT. We’re trying to get some goods into the U.K. from the EU so we can do some service work and return and customs and HMRC have been scratching their heads for two weeks now. Seems we haven’t replicated the EU system and until it’s sorted we can’t move forward with a contract we’ve had for over 5 years now.

skybluetony176

Several large hauliers suspended deliveries between UK and Europe until paperwork issues are sorted out.
DB Schenker did it the other day now a couple more followed suit.
Hauliers we use are telling us that their warehouses are now that full with stuff waiting to be sorted for the EU they’re sending anything received with incomplete or incorrect paperwork straight back to sender.

Sick Boy

As much as I think it was a bad idea, if there was a plan or a competent government executing it, then fair enough, but this lot are beyond incompetent.
JRM’s ludicrous British fish comment sums them up.

clint van damme

As much as I think it was a bad idea, if there was a plan or a competent government executing it, then fair enough, but this lot are beyond incompetent.
JRM’s ludicrous British fish comment sums them up.

Raab on Marr disputing everything the fishermen are saying

skybluetony176

Raab on Marr disputing everything the fishermen are saying
It’s too easy to say they got what they voted for. It’s people’s livelihoods we’re talking about here and personally I’m starting to think that the biggest victims in Brexit are going to be those that voted for it. They have nothing but my sympathy and if I wasn’t a committed veggie I’d be eating British fish 7 days a week at the moment in an attempt to personally support the industry.

clint van damme

Got to be honest, I have little sympathy for anyone who voted for this who ends up suffering financially.
They were warned but just trotted out their project fear bullshit.
I'll save my sympathy for those who didn't vote for it and are going to suffer.

Like sick boy having to pay tax on his new top, thoughts with him at this difficult time!!

Sky Blue Pete

Raab is so so dangerous. Just keep repeating falsehoods and they become your own reality and those that support you in their reality. Hence the disconnect. You’d think people would say uh no I’ll listen to those that know what is happening but some will say Raab is right so the fishermen must be making it up or the Eu are making it harder than was agreed

skybluetony176

Got to be honest, I have little sympathy for anyone who voted for this who ends up suffering financially.

Like sick boy having to pay tax on his new top, thoughts with him at this difficult time!!
Just doesn’t sit comfortably with me Clint. I’m not a Christian but I believe in forgiveness and theirs little doubt in my mind that the people who voted for it are the biggest victims.

RegTheDonk

"Yet we find ourselves with an outcome where the EU fleet will continue to have full and unfettered access to UK waters until the middle of 2026."

I don't pretend to understand the ins an outs of that letter - but seems to me he's complaining about the EU fleet being able to fish in our waters up to 2026. Have they not been doing that anyway, and would continue to do past 2026 without the deal?

BodicoteSkyBlue

Not just Boris. The fisheries minister didn’t even read the trade deal she voted for that is just about to kill the U.K. fishing industry. If you believe what the U.K. fishing industry is saying.
Victoria Prentis. That’s my local MP! Disgusting that she is anything to do with fisheries, her constituency couldn’t be further from the sea. Guess there’s no danger of her being voted out by local fishermen next time round.

skybluetony176

"Yet we find ourselves with an outcome where the EU fleet will continue to have full and unfettered access to UK waters until the middle of 2026."

I don't pretend to understand the ins an outs of that letter - but seems to me he's complaining about the EU fleet being able to fish in our waters up to 2026. Have they not been doing that anyway, and would continue to do past 2026 without the deal?
The fishing communities which between 60-70% off voted for Brexit were promised 100% control of our waters and unfettered access to the EU market. Both of which just like the slogan on the side of it were thrown under the bus.
James O’Brien in the week was making the point that the one industry that should have done well out of Brexit was the fishing industry yet it seems to be the first victim.

clint van damme

Think a major issue isn't catching the fish it's getting them exported on time and at 5he right cost due to red tape.

D

Deleted member 4439

Surely, project fear was a term and tactic used by remainers?

skybluetony176

Surely, project fear was a term and tactic used by remainers?
The term was used by the leave campaigns to describe the warnings of experts. Gove even declaring that “we’ve” had enough of experts. The real issue is that “project fear” is proving already in the first weeks to have been hopelessly optimistic. As the fishing industry is finding out to its cost. The problem at ports according to the experts “we’ve” had enough of will remain. The fishing industry will get used to processes in time but the fishing industry is telling us time is the one thing they don’t have. They’re saying that they can’t survive another week in most cases 2 weeks in other. We have a government in denial of the issue as witnessed on TV this morning and the only way to resolve the issue is either the government get around the table again with the EU and agree a way to reduce the red tape (possibly more concessions on fishing rights) or the government bailout the fishing industry financially. But for either of them to happen the government first needs to accept the reality of the Brexit they got “us” to vote for. Both in 2016 and again in 2019.

Grendel

No it wasn't. It was used by leavers to describe the doom and gloom predictions of remainers.

Did we have an emergency budget at the point of result of the referendum and growing number of tombstones as Europe returns to war? The remain campaign gave no positives just doom laden scenarios upon leaving

skybluetony176

Seems also that the government forgot to include the Falkland Islands in the Brexit deal. 40% of the Falkland Islands GDP is based in EU trade and it now faces import tariffs on everything it exports to the EU between 6-18% as well as red tape.

skybluetony176

Did we have an emergency budget at the point of result of the referendum and growing number of tombstones as Europe returns to war? The remain campaign gave no positives just doom laden scenarios upon leaving
You should tell that to the people and families that work in the fishing industry that’s about to collapse. It will probably help them sleep at night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread