The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (12 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

I've read some nonsense on here but fuck me!! At least it's not normally as long winded!
And surprise surprise that bad smell that follows me agrees with you. Like I said he doesn't like being pulled up for being wrong just like those who agree with you here. I could have predicted who would.

I suppose you all think you can change the world by changing the history of what has happened.

Astute

Just so I know in the future, how do I show somebody ignoring something...?
Is that like last week where you made up a supposed quote from me saying I was for Brexit and didn't reply when I said show the quote? And now you make out you can't see my posts 😏

Don't worry. Will leave you all to it. I am happy in the knowledge of calling nearly all of it right including a last second deal. After all the allegations against me not one came with evidence.

26 more paydays and I move full time to an EU country. 2 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days to retirement. Will be near two airports so will frequently get my football fix. About all I will miss from the UK other than Branston beans and pickle, Heinz salad cream and extra mature cheddar cheese. Oh yes and Bonio's for my dogs 🐕

Vive la France 🇫🇷 🍷

NorthernWisdom

Is that like last week where you made up a supposed quote from me saying I was for Brexit and didn't reply when I said show the quote? And now you make out you can't see my posts 😏

Don't worry. Will leave you all to it. I am happy in the knowledge of calling nearly all of it right including a last second deal. After all the allegations against me not one came with evidence.
Have you considered running for President of the USA?

NorthernWisdom

I want out of the EU. And there are many reasons why. The economists say we will be in trouble if we leave. Would anyone be surprised if they got it wrong again? After all they are more interested in their own interests than ours.
Anybody, btw, who thinks quoting somebody *which places a link to the original quote for somebody to check* is making up a quote has a serious case of bleating fake news.

I'd naively assumed you'd gone back and deleted it but nope, still there... then you doubled down on it, in case there was doubt!
The main reason I am voting leave is for my younger children.

skybluetony176

Anybody, btw, who thinks quoting somebody *which places a link to the original quote for somebody to check* is making up a quote has a serious case of bleating fake news.

I'd naively assumed you'd gone back and deleted it but nope, still there... then you doubled down on it, in case there was doubt!
A case of shouting heads and tails in a coin toss then claiming you were right all along.

SBAndy

clint van damme

‘Asked about his role in Britannia Unchained, a 2012 collection of essays by then Tory backbenchers calling for reduced worker protections, Kwarteng told the committee that was “a long time ago”.’

Though still happy to try and pin stuff in the last Labour government which was even longer ago!

Sbarcher

Listened to a radio piece this morning about on line deliveries from couriers. If you buy goods from the EU and have them delivered, the courier will charge you the VAT from the country of origin plus an import duty (0-20%) plus their admin charge. One lady was asked to pay an extra £82 on her item when the courier knocked on her door. Good job we have no barriers and tariffs.

skybluetony176

Nice work Kier

I see Roger Daltrey is crying into his sovereignty.

From this
To this

clint van damme

I see Roger Daltrey is crying into his sovereignty.

From this
To this

Music industry was offered an exemption as well - the Tories said no.

hill83

The bloke is consistently wrong. It’s almost like he’s on a wind up but I don’t actually think he is. He was even on about how as he’s usually right in arguments with his wife she doesn’t argue with him anymore the other week. Lovely stuff.

Last edited:

tisza

About all I will miss from the UK other than Branston beans and pickle, Heinz salad cream and extra mature cheddar cheese. Oh yes and Bonio's for my dogs 🐕
You can get all those things still :)
We have plenty of British stores over here in the EU. Never without my Coleman's mustard, branston pickle and most importantly PG Tips :) My girls addicted to Cadburys Dairy Milk.

Mucca Mad Boys

Listened to a radio piece this morning about on line deliveries from couriers. If you buy goods from the EU and have them delivered, the courier will charge you the VAT from the country of origin plus an import duty (0-20%) plus their admin charge. One lady was asked to pay an extra £82 on her item when the courier knocked on her door. Good job we have no barriers and tariffs.

The industry is adapting to the requirement ‘statement of origin’. In practice, lots of goods should be zero tariff, but without proof of the goods origin, you cannot claim 0-rated tariffs.

When buying abroad, you don’t pay that country’s VAT on the goods. So that should be expected as a minimum.

Industry and consumers alike will adapt.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The industry is adapting to the requirement ‘statement of origin’. In practice, lots of goods should be zero tariff, but without proof of the goods origin, you cannot claim 0-rated tariffs.

When buying abroad, you don’t pay that country’s VAT on the goods. So that should be expected as a minimum.

Industry and consumers alike will adapt.

By 'adapt' I assume you mean pay more and eventually forget they used to pay a lot less.

tisza

Now Govt here wants to buy the Russian vaccine.
Less 50% of Hungarians are prepared to take a vaccine as can't guarantee which one they would get. Around 1 % would be prepared to take the Chinese (already purchased a million doses) and 7 % the Russian one.
Vaccine purchases being linked to large capital investments from Russian and Chinese Govts in infrastructure projects and current Govt deliberately trying to show its independence from EU.

CCFCSteve

Music industry was offered an exemption as well - the Tories said no.

Not quite Clint. Again, sounds like six of one and half a dozen of the other.

looks like the EU didn’t want musicians on the permitted list of short term business activities, due to the whole ending of freedom of movement argument

ps I was thinking though, as there’s 6 month visa free travel for EU citizens, a DJ for example could still pop over without anyone being any the wiser

skybluetony176

ps I was thinking though, as there’s 6 month visa free travel for EU citizens, a DJ for example could still pop over without anyone being any the wiser
Unless they’ve had the Covid vaccine. In which case Bill Gates is tracking the DJ’s movement for the lesbian vegan libtard woke deep state Antifa BLM communist lefty elite vampire movement. Obviously;)

clint van damme

Not quite Clint. Again, sounds like six of one and half a dozen of the other.

looks like the EU didn’t want musicians on the permitted list of short term business activities, due to the whole ending of freedom of movement argument

Only not quite if you believe a Tory minister.
I find not believing them as my default position serves me well.
Not that the EU are a bastion of truth but their claim that 'the counter proposal put forward by Johnson wasn't fit for purpose' sounds entirely plausible.

Mucca Mad Boys

By 'adapt' I assume you mean pay more and eventually forget they used to pay a lot less.

You assume wrong.

Every purchase we make, there’s VAT. Being in the EU doesn’t change that. Before, you could buy from Germany, pay German VAT and goods would be delivered as if it was bought from a domestic market (with UK VAT). Post-Brexit, EU sellers should sell goods without VAT now (likewise with UK sellers to EU).

The specific issue a lot of logistics companies are facing are around the rules of origin of goods. This is because to have zero tariffs on trade you ‘claim’ preference. Right now, a lot goods which should be zero-rated are having extra duties applied (2-12%) which is also also has VAT added.

Tbf, the admin/handling fees are nominal for where I work. But the industry can take the piss and charge £25-40 for a consignment.

skybluetony176

You assume wrong.

Every purchase we make, there’s VAT. Being in the EU doesn’t change that. Before, you could buy from Germany, pay German VAT and goods would be delivered as if it was bought from a domestic market (with UK VAT). Post-Brexit, EU sellers should sell goods without VAT now (likewise with UK sellers to EU).

The specific issue a lot of logistics companies are facing are around the rules of origin of goods. This is because to have zero tariffs on trade you ‘claim’ preference. Right now, a lot goods which should be zero-rated are having extra duties applied (2-12%) which is also also has VAT added.

Tbf, the admin/handling fees are nominal for where I work. But the industry can take the piss and charge £25-40 for a consignment.
You don’t charge VAT on sales between EU countries. Never have.
You’ll pay it now on entry in either direction at port unless you defer it through the IPR scheme if you’re registered and VAT registered, otherwise you’ll have to claim it back at the end of your VAT quarter so long as the goods were imported for resale. Import and export declarations are a different matter and depends on the incoterms you’re either importing and exporting under. Declarations cost between £25 and £40 in my experience depending on the carrier. Sometimes it’s a hidden cost and included in the general term of shipping costs (was always typical for exports pre Brexit outside the EU).

Mucca Mad Boys

You don’t charge VAT on sales between EU countries. Never have.
You’ll pay it now on entry in either direction at port unless you defer it through the IPR scheme if you’re registered and VAT registered, otherwise you’ll have to claim it back at the end of your VAT quarter so long as the goods were imported for resale. Import and export declarations are a different matter and depends on the incoterms you’re either importing and exporting under. Declarations cost between £25 and £40 in my experience depending on the carrier. Sometimes it’s a hidden cost and included in the general term of shipping costs (was always typical for exports pre Brexit outside the EU).

Yes you did, as it’s built into the sale of the goods. Again, both the EU and UK are building schemes to account for VAT at the point of sale to streamline the customs processes. It’s mutually beneficial, but not something achievable overnight.

Now, EU sellers do not need to build that cost at the point of sale to UK consumers, and vice versa. E.g. £100 to the UK consumer should be sold at £80 to the EU consumer and customs collect the VAT and other duties applicable.

Since you know incoterms, a lot of companies on are using DDP, both sides of the channel. To streamline the customs process and deliver a better consumer experience. Since consumers probably don’t fancy being hit with a D&Ts bill.

The company I work for charges £5 per declaration. Most freight forwarders have really manual process - UPS literally have hundreds of people to manually fill in declaration.

Markets will adapt, Government systems will improve and we won’t stop trade with the EU. Meanwhile, hopefully we develop a trade policy which expands free trade.

skybluetony176

Yes you did, as it’s built into the sale of the goods. Again, both the EU and UK are building schemes to account for VAT at the point of sale to streamline the customs processes. It’s mutually beneficial, but not something achievable overnight.

Now, EU sellers do not need to build that cost at the point of sale to UK consumers, and vice versa. E.g. £100 to the UK consumer should be sold at £80 to the EU consumer and customs collect the VAT and other duties applicable.

Since you know incoterms, a lot of companies on are using DDP, both sides of the channel. To streamline the customs process and deliver a better consumer experience. Since consumers probably don’t fancy being hit with a D&Ts bill.

The company I work for charges £5 per declaration. Most freight forwarders have really manual process - UPS literally have hundreds of people to manually fill in declaration.

Markets will adapt, Government systems will improve and we won’t stop trade with the EU. Meanwhile, hopefully we develop a trade policy which expands free trade.
If it’s a commercial transaction you didn’t. Are you talking about a transaction as a consumer? In which case you would have paid VAT at source. At the moment consumers seem to be paying VAT twice, first at source and then at entry. For commercial transaction the process has changed with VAT being paid at entry which as I say you can either defer as part of the IPR scheme or claim back at the end of the VAT quarter and the import/export declaration. This is the same process you have to do for the rest of the world on commercial transaction but never had to do with EU countries.

Mucca Mad Boys

If it’s a commercial transaction you didn’t. Are you talking about a transaction as a consumer? In which case you would have paid VAT at source. At the moment consumers seem to be paying VAT twice, first at source and then at entry. For commercial transaction the process has changed with VAT being paid at entry which as I say you can either defer as part of the IPR scheme or claim back at the end of the VAT quarter and the import/export declaration. This is the same process you have to do for the rest of the world on commercial transaction but never had to do with EU countries.

In the specific example I replied to was based on B2C movements. Yes, there is a risk of double taxation. But, that isn’t the clearance agent’s fault. Sellers on either side of the channel need to make sure they’re providing the correct incoterms or zero-VAT their goods at sale.

Postponed VAT accounting is also still available - businesses just need to provide their EORI numbers.

On one hand, loss of frictionless trade with the EU is a shame and will undoubtedly have a short term economic impact. Longer term, there is the opportunity to reduce trade barriers with other markets.

Brexit is having an impact on the EU, particularly Ireland, as well as the UK.

shmmeee

In the specific example I replied to was based on B2C movements. Yes, there is a risk of double taxation. But, that isn’t the clearance agent’s fault. Sellers on either side of the channel need to make sure they’re providing the correct incoterms or zero-VAT their goods at sale.

Postponed VAT accounting is also still available - businesses just need to provide their EORI numbers.

On one hand, loss of frictionless trade with the EU is a shame and will undoubtedly have a short term economic impact. Longer term, there is the opportunity to reduce trade barriers with other markets.

Brexit is having an impact on the EU, particularly Ireland, as well as the UK.

Yay? People in other countries lives are made worse too??

We will always trade more with our closest neighbours. No amount of trade deals will change that. The impact of other trade can never outweigh EU trade, no serious economist thinks that’s the case.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yay? People in other countries lives are made worse too??

We will always trade more with our closest neighbours. No amount of trade deals will change that. The impact of other trade can never outweigh EU trade, no serious economist thinks that’s the case.

7 of our top 15 trading partners are outside the EU and the EU makes up 43% of our exports. That’s dropped about 17% from 1999. That’s without accounting for EU enlargement in the same period. By your logic, that number couldn’t possibly go down.

I didn’t vote for Brexit. But, in the 21st century, with globalisation, technological advancements. The world economy is moving away from Europe and the USA in general... there’s opportunities for the UK to grow.

You’ve mischaracterised my point entirely. Which was that both sides will eventually change to new changes despite the initial challenges Brexit poses.

fernandopartridge

7 of our top 15 trading partners are outside the EU and the EU makes up 43% of our exports. That’s dropped about 17% from 1999. That’s without accounting for EU enlargement in the same period. By your logic, that number couldn’t possibly go down.

I didn’t vote for Brexit. But, in the 21st century, with globalisation, technological advancements. The world economy is moving away from Europe and the USA in general... there’s opportunities for the UK to grow.

You’ve mischaracterised my point entirely. Which was that both sides will eventually change to new changes despite the initial challenges Brexit poses.
Yes but leaving the EU didn't mean that we had to go down the ridiculous path we have. The lunatics have made Brexit to be only the hardest self punishment possible. Stupid stupid wankers. "Only 43%" of our trade as if it is a trivial number. For many sectors they export exclusively to the EU, they're all fucked.

shmmeee

Yes things will change. Stuff will cost more. That’s the “change” thats “people adapting”. Just calling it change and adaptation doesn’t change that. Stop avoiding that point. You aren’t a politician. Why do you think every nation on earth is working to reduce trade barriers especially to their neighbours?

Ive not mischaracterised your point, you don’t understand it yourself. You’re just spouting vague nonsense in hope.

same with “growth” “advancements”. It’s just bollocks. I don’t know if you’re just parroting something you’ve heard or genuinely believe it but it’s the words of charlatans.

Globalisation doesn’t change how long it takes to move things across the world FFS. Time sensitive stuff will always be better closer and it will always cost both in finance, time and global warming to ship shit across the planet. We are some way from teleportation even in the 21st century.

Again, no serious economist believes the crap you’re spouting. It fairytale nonsense told to people who don’t know better to make them feel better. Like Santa for kids.

“oh only half our trade” 😂😂😂😂

“smaller things are growing more than the large well developed relationship. Iamverysmartbutclearlydontunderstandthedifferencebetweengrowthandabsolutesize”😂😂😂

Fuck me I can’t believe people are still saying this shit with a straight face.

Users who are viewing this thread