The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (74 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

Given that we can drive in the EU with a UK license, why would they have to swap? (bit unfair, as this was only announced today). But, forgive me, I rather doubt that the majority of ex-pats voted to leave should they have had the intention to remain on EU soil. Just seems a rather lazy way to prop up the middle-class view of the working class and/or vote Brexit being stupid. Tiresome.
I think it’s because the amount of time you can drive on a U.K. license in the EU is now limited, if you have permanent residency and intend to drive you need a permanent EU license.
I can only relay his experience. He lives in a largely retirement community near Torrevieja and that’s his experience. As is typical for that age group.

D

Deleted member 4439

I can only relay his experience. He lives in a largely retirement community near Torrevieja and that’s his experience. As is typical for that age group.

Wouldn't have bothered but, then, I guess it suited your (ongoing....and ongoing .... and ongoing) narrative.

skybluetony176

Wouldn't have bothered but, then, I guess it suited your (ongoing....and ongoing .... and ongoing) narrative.

Not sure what you think that proves. Conservatives loss was neither the Lib Dem’s or Labour’s gain, either individually or combined. There’s no shortage of reasons to turn away from the conservatives. You have to also acknowledge that there’s been a jump of 30% in emigration to the EU since the Brexit vote.

Astute

To be fair at one point on here you did announce that you were backing leave and then switched back again.
I did get wound up with how they put people in positions illegally without there being the vote as the rules stated and also where they continually let Germany break the laws/rules without doing anything. Then you had the EU help cover up dieselgate for years until America found out the truth.

It was a very low time for the EU and a very low time for my faith in them. I also don't like the way that they continue to run the finances of countries in the Euro. It badly affects lives.

But at the end of the day my life would have been much easier if we stayed in the institution. But they continue to have a go at the UK for the benefit of other countries. And yes it does piss me off.

Astute

So how does the new deal and arrangements affect ex-pats now? I read somewhere about people in Spain now have to provide proof of income over 30K, no criminal record etc, somewhere else said there was a time limit per year - how much of is this accurate?
If it is anything like France it is for those wanting to move there in the future. Similar rules as we will have in the UK.

The time limit still remains but not while you are in your country of residence. Any 90 days in a rolling 180 days.

Astute

I don't really care tbh, we're all entitled to change our mind or, dare I say it, even be wrong now and again but... the astonishing tedium of being told how right he is all the time, and is here with his objective unbiased view to show us all the light, hallelujah! grates somewhat...
Yet it is OK for you to make up bullshit now. What a surprise.

Astute

Given that we can drive in the EU with a UK license, why would they have to swap? (bit unfair, as this was only announced today). But, forgive me, I rather doubt that the majority of ex-pats voted to leave should they have had the intention to remain on EU soil. Just seems a rather lazy way to prop up the middle-class view of the working class and/or vote Brexit being stupid. Tiresome.
I know a couple of people who live in other EU countries that voted leave and are now moaning like fuck on the difficulties leaving the EU has caused.

tisza

So how does the new deal and arrangements affect ex-pats now? I read somewhere about people in Spain now have to provide proof of income over 30K, no criminal record etc, somewhere else said there was a time limit per year - how much of is this accurate?
Varies from country to country but most rights protected by Withdrawal agreement. Things like driving licences have always been should be changed to country of residence after 12 months residency - just a lot chose to ignore it.
My residency will automatically be upgraded with no new tests/conditions as was sorted before withdrawal date. No new conditions except fingerprints and biometric photo for new Id card.
But new UK applicants will be treated same as any other 3rd country applicant depending on individual EU country - employment, enough money / salary / pension not to need state assistance are main criteria for most.
new applicants residency for employment reasons normally starts at 3 years and can get permanent after 5 years.
Criminal record generally serious crimes rather than minor convictions.
Employment more competitive as may have to explain why an EU citizen/resident can't have the job.

Astute

Isn't there a limit (90 days?) to how long you can keep using a UK license in the EU? Government website says you need to change to a local license, should be up to date as it was published yesterday.
In France we can only change our licence if it expires or if we would have lost points on a French licence if we had one. So a UK licence will suffice for now.

tisza

Isn't there a limit (90 days?) to how long you can keep using a UK license in the EU? Government website says you need to change to a local license, should be up to date as it was published yesterday.
Country by country basis. Visitors can still use a UK licence but need an international licence with it. Residents have always had to change licence but just let it slide. But if you have an accident or criminal issue your insurance would have been invalid.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes people will adapt by passing the cost of admin on to customers. £7bn/year spent on form filling rather than maintaining yours and my standard or living.

Of course the share of other markets has been going up, that’s why they’re emerging markets and it’s been going up by definition while we’re in the EU. We will get much better terms as part of a large trading block than as a medium sized country.

We aren’t suddenly going to start buying fresh food or time sensitive parts of the supply chain from Australia or India. We’re still going to do most of our trade with the EU. Because. They’re. Our. Closest. Neighbours.

I understand the Brexiter arguments, that’s why I know they’re nonsense. They always talk very narrowly in terms of percentages and growth rather than absolutes to hide this nonsense. The fact of the matter is we’re all already poorer and will continue to get so even if we strike all these amazing trade deals (none of which so far have gone significantly above what we already had).

It’s the same blank slate theory as radical communism. Just blow it all up then think of the possibilities. It’s the delusion of someone detached from reality and incapable of understanding the complexity of the world.

But, we’re not just a medium sized country. Britain is the 5th/6th largest economy in the world. Other countries are going to want access to our economy too - it’s a non starter. There are companies that will invest in Britain. For example, Aldi have pledged to invest £3.5bn into the UK to boost its domestic supply chains - probably because we’re leaving the internal market.

On that note, supply chains can shift, and we live in a globalised world where our supermarkets are stocked with produce from all over the world already. Again, a zero-tariff and zero-quota access to the EU market means that aside from the additional customs requirements - not a lot will change on this front.

The debate whether or not we’re better off in the EU is a waste of time because we’ve left now. I’m a Remainer, but the uncertainty around Brexit needs to be resolved and the debate around Leave and Remain need to be ended. If Brexit goes badly, which it could, then perhaps there’s a demand to rejoin the EU.

None of us here are experts, and even then, ‘experts’ get economics wrong all the time. Brexit will change a lot of things and unforeseen impacts for better or worse.

I want Brexit to go well because I want my country to do well. Let’s see how this all plays out.

Sick Boy

In France we can only change our licence if it expires or if we would have lost points on a French licence if we had one. So a UK licence will suffice for now.
Not sure that’s true as a resident. There’s the EU licence conversion from one country to another that exists throughout the EU.

Sick Boy

Country by country basis. Visitors can still use a UK licence but need an international licence with it. Residents have always had to change licence but just let it slide. But if you have an accident or criminal issue your insurance would have been invalid.
Happened to a Greek guy over here I know .

Astute

Not sure that’s true as a resident. There’s the EU licence conversion from one country to another that exists throughout the EU.
It is correct. My wife tried to change her licence. She is on several forums that help British expats (British immigrants) and the experts on there even state the same. But they are now changing the way they do it.

The problem starts when you do have to change your licence in France. Bureaucracy there is a nightmare and people get left without a driving licence for months as the old one runs out well before they get a new one. But it is part of the charm of living in France 🤔😁

tisza

when i got round to changing mine it took 5 including the new photo at the local mayor's office. Now any UK person wanting to change it faces a lot more hassle (from today). They are considering making new applicants take a Hungarian driving test which means a compulsory number of lessons pre-test and would cost around 800 quid
Mind you my residency took 15 minutes and was automatic. Now going to be a minimum 60 days to get an answer for new UK applicants.

Sick Boy

when i got round to changing mine it took 5 including the new photo at the local mayor's office. Now any UK person wanting to change it faces a lot more hassle (from today). They are considering making new applicants take a Hungarian driving test which means a compulsory number of lessons pre-test and would cost around 800 quid
Mind you my residency took 15 minutes and was automatic. Now going to be a minimum 60 days to get an answer for new UK applicants.
I just went to the local office with a filled in form and the payment and got the new licence within 10 days, which was incredibly efficient for Italy. I think in future it’ll mean doing a test for those with a UK licence coming here, unless they eventually do reciprocal recognition, I don’t think they have so far.
The residency process here remains unchanged but takes up to 2 months but that involves the police visiting the residence to check documents, this is the same for everyone though.
As far as I know there’s a new biometric Id card for British citizens covered by the withdrawal agreement, I’ve not had to do it though myself but it seems relatively straightforward.

tisza

As far as I know there’s a new biometric Id card for British citizens covered by the withdrawal agreement, I’ve not had to do it though myself but it seems relatively straightforward.
yep that's what I've got to do by December 31st. Just apply online then down to the immigration office for the picture and fingerprints. No new paperwork, financial statements etc

Sick Boy

yep that's what I've got to do by December 31st. Just apply online then down to the immigration office for the picture and fingerprints. No new paperwork, financial statements etc
From what I’ve heard I think it’s only optional here, presumably it would be easier for when entering the country and proving you’re covered but would imagine an ID card does the same anyway.

Astute

My wife had a big problem getting all the information needed in France. They didn't have a box to put her in. She retired at 52 (too young). Married but living alone(with children). Told her the best thing she could do was get a divorce 👀😃😁🥳 but she said no 😳🤔😏😊.

She ended up having to register as an entrepreneur. Got the final documentation needed while in England the last couple of weeks.

She did get stopped by the Gendarmes for breaking the 8pm curfew on the way home. The third time she has had to deal with armed Gendarmes now 🤣🤣🤣

skybluetony176

Yesterday the Brexit press was all over the end of the tampon tax. Didn’t see any mention of ending tax on energy bills. Is that not happening now? The nasty EU making us charge VAT on energy was something that the leave campaign was constantly going on about, has that gone the same way as the £360M a week to the NHS?

Sick Boy

My wife had a big problem getting all the information needed in France. They didn't have a box to put her in. She retired at 52 (too young). Married but living alone(with children). Told her the best thing she could do was get a divorce 👀😃😁🥳 but she said no 😳🤔😏😊.

She ended up having to register as an entrepreneur. Got the final documentation needed while in England the last couple of weeks.

She did get stopped by the Gendarmes for breaking the 8pm curfew on the way home. The third time she has had to deal with armed Gendarmes now 🤣🤣🤣
I got pulled over by the Carabinieri a couple of months ago for a routine traffic stop, the one holding the machine gun looked seem a bit over the top.
Have you looked into French inheritance laws? If not, it’s worth doing so for your wife.

Astute

I got pulled over by the Carabinieri a couple of months ago for a routine traffic stop, the one holding the machine gun looked seem a bit over the top.
Have you looked into French inheritance laws? If not, it’s worth doing so for your wife.
Yes. Going to be covered by UK law. Will be updated when we buy our forever home in about 2 years time. Just have to hope nothing changes between now and then.

Personally know a woman made homeless when her husband died. His daughter wanted the house immediately and she didn’t have the money to delay things. I trust my kids not to do the same to the wife but safety first. It is why so many houses in France are derelict. Just takes a relationship of one of the kids to make things difficult. And under French law you can't disinherit any of your children.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not great news for the export industry..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I work in logistics, and even big businesses are struggling to get their operations up and running. It’s been a difficult week so far - but exactly what we expected.

For what it’s worth, EU exporters are also struggling with the new regulations.

But, industry will adapt to the disruption and extra processes.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It is correct. My wife tried to change her licence. She is on several forums that help British expats (British immigrants) and the experts on there even state the same. But they are now changing the way they do it.

The problem starts when you do have to change your licence in France. Bureaucracy there is a nightmare and people get left without a driving licence for months as the old one runs out well before they get a new one. But it is part of the charm of living in France 🤔😁

One day you'll be arguing with someone on a forum and it'll be your wife from the other side of the room. Some proper inception shit!

Astute

One day you'll be arguing with someone on a forum and it'll be your wife from the other side of the room. Some proper inception shit!
Look forward to the day it could happen. Not been able to visit wife and kids since last summer.

And anyway she doesn't argue with me most of the time as she has learnt over the years that I am usually right. If I am unsure I listen. If I know I am right I am like a dog with a bone. I would say one of my major faults as well as one of my personal qualities 😁

Users who are viewing this thread