The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (10 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evo1883

Laughs in employer.

Exactly , but the employer won't be laughing when they are paying couriers 3 x more to get their stock delivered eventually

The whole driving industry needs a rework

shmmeee

The way to revive trucking IMO is to automate the motorways so you just need drivers to do the last mile.

Tech is already there but probably needs government investment in roads or tunnels.

Evo1883

The way to revive trucking IMO is to automate the motorways so you just need drivers to do the last mile.

Tech is already there but probably needs government investment in roads or tunnels.

We could just simply start by lowering the cost of training .

It's currently anywhere from 3 to 5 k to get both licenses with an established reputable firm

shmmeee

Exactly , but the employer won't be laughing when they are paying couriers 3 x more to get their stock delivered eventually

The whole driving industry needs a rework

It’s the same everywhere. Look at agriculture and hospitality. Employers are used to cheap Labour who take shit conditions.

Talking to a guy at Taylor Wimpey about house prices and he was like “oh we just assume everyone’s wage will have to increase so they can afford it”. I kept my question of how much they’re raised the wage of the guys who build their houses to myself for the sake of a professional relationship.

Evo1883

You almost feel sorry for him.

Then you remember 'we knew what we voted for' and 'we won get over it'

Not a very Liberal mindset is it PVA , you almost sound like a tory
giphy.gif

He's doing shit , oh well nevermind .

Evo1883

Through his own stupidity. Hard to have sympathy.

Remember, he knew what he voted for and he won so I should get over it ;)

I don't think like that sorry , its the same way I hope your wine business pulls through just fine (I'm correct in that assumption it's what you do ?)

Why would I want you to fail because we think differently?

You just sound , like we've discussed before , very bitter...doesn't suit anybody

At some point you really do have to move forward on this , for the benefit of your own sanity

PVA

I don't think like that sorry , its the same way I hope your wine business pulls through just fine (I'm correct in that assumption it's what you do ?)

Why would I want you to fail because we think differently?

No not wine! Nothing related to food or drink. More along construction lines (don't want to say too much).

And I don't want this guy to fail. But he was repeatedly told what the consequences of voting leave would be, he relies on freedom of movement, he relies on exporting to Europe... yet voted to take those things away.

He literally voted to make it harder for him to do business and then complains that it's now harder for him to do business. You can only marvel at such stupidity.

Evo1883

No not wine! Nothing related to food or drink. More along construction lines (don't want to say too much).

And I don't want this guy to fail. But he was repeatedly told what the consequences of voting leave would be, he relies on freedom of movement, he relies on exporting to Europe... yet voted to take those things away.

He literally voted to make it harder for him to do business and then complains that it's now harder for him to do business. You can only marvel at such stupidity.

Here's hoping we've all moved on from this thread by 2025 eh 😅, Jesus wept

PVA

Here's hoping we've all moved on from this thread by 2025 eh 😅, Jesus wept

Unlikely mate, because Brexit will still be a total shit show in 2025.

Especially when the chap above and half the farmers in this country have gone out of business by then.

shmmeee

I’m not going to take the piss out of a guy taken in by charlatans. Happens to the best of us.

More concerned with the bigger picture as Faz says. Where’s the plan to rectify this or are we still in the “pretend nothing is wrong” stage? We’re out, no one can stop it, no one is talking about returning. Can we get back to the real world now?

PVA

Norway trade deal is here to save the day British farming!

Laughable.

The Norway PM describes it as "inferior to what the two countries enjoyed when the UK was an EU member."

Some products will be subject to even higher tariffs.

If that's considered a good news Brexit story then we really are fucked.

Grendel

shmmeee

Have you got the article text for the first one? It’s only reported there and is double what all the other data suggests so would be interested to know their analysis.

D

Deleted member 4439

Have you got the article text for the first one? It’s only reported there and is double what all the other data suggests so would be interested to know their analysis.
Reed, first reported by The Sunday Times - average salaries this year have risen by 18pc across hospitality and catering, 10pc in retail and 4pc overall.

clint van damme

Reed, first reported by The Sunday Times - average salaries this year have risen by 18pc across hospitality and catering, 10pc in retail and 4pc overall.

I hope that right but its difficult to believe and though the consensus is that the economy will do well in terms of increased GDP plenty predicting wages won't necessarily follow for a while (obviously there are unique circumstances surrounding hospitality)

Just one article but there are quite a few similar and there was a report on 5live which said wage growth would pick up until 2023.

D

Deleted member 4439

I hope that right but its difficult to believe and though the consensus is that the economy will do well in terms of increased GDP plenty predicting wages won't necessarily follow for a while (obviously there are unique circumstances surrounding hospitality)

Just one article but there are quite a few similar and there was a report on 5live which said wage growth would pick up until 2023.

I think the reality is that those sectors that traditionally relied on temporary immigration are indeed having to stump up more, whilst the economic outlook for other sectors remains to be understood. Personally, I'm in favour of a rationalisation in the service sector and in parts of farming if it means improved wages, tenure and training offer (which is what some reports are saying), at the expense of higher prices at the till and a possibly a rationalisation of consumption. I fully appreciate that not all will share this view.

On a slightly different tact, I see the Govt is making noises about dropping the degree entry into the civil service, to focus more on apprenticeships and relevant work industry experience, not least in the hope that it encourages a move away from a degrees-only culture. Not a bad thing, I think.

NorthernWisdom

Personally, I'm in favour of a rationalisation in the service sector and in parts of farming if it means improved wages, tenure and training offer (which is what some reports are saying), at the expense of higher prices at the till and a possibly a rationalisation of consumption. I fully appreciate that not all will share this view.
I'd go with that. What that needs to work though, probably, is protectionist policies. Of course, Brexit allows for that, but the current evidence is a desire to strike free trade deals that undermine any attempt at what you describe in farming, as we'll import from elsewhere in its place.

shmmeee

Yeah the Brexit Id have voted for would’ve included more protectionism especially around agriculture and manufacturing. I’m totally onboard for a higher wage economy supported by trade barriers and stricter immigration.

D

Deleted member 4439

Surprisingly strong set of results from brexiter's perspective. Will be interesting to review in 5 year's time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4439

Only 25% of all voters feel it has gone well? Less than half (45%) of those who voted for it? You think that is strong?

38% remainers still sore, 50% non-plussed or fine about it. Always going to be difficult for a term of a govt, so, yes, surprisingly strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

skybluetony176

Norway trade deal is here to save the day British farming!

Laughable.

The Norway PM describes it as "inferior to what the two countries enjoyed when the UK was an EU member."

Some products will be subject to even higher tariffs.

If that's considered a good news Brexit story then we really are fucked.
We’ve also lost access to their waters. Along with Iceland’s and the Faroe Islands. Fishermen really been shit on by Brexit. Didn’t get full control of our waters as promised, lost access to market which was surprising as we held all the cards and lost access to EEA waters which we always enjoyed as EU members.

COV

38% remainers still sore, 50% non-plussed or fine about it. Always going to be difficult for a term of a govt, so, yes, surprisingly strong.

Not worth the paper it’s written on though- whenever yougov says something people like they quote it, when yougov says something people don’t like they slate it.

Only way to know is to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread